Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 6th, 2012

Only In America: Kirk Cameron and the unlikely new plot twists from "Growing Pains"

Last night Piers Morgan looked at the unlikely new plot twists from "Growing Pains" on the heels of Kirk Cameron's anti-gay remarks last Friday on "Piers Morgan Tonight."

"It's now been 20 years since "Growing Pains" ended its run," Morgan said. "The show turned out to be quite an extraordinary spring board for budding superstars." Some of those famous actors include Leonardo DiCaprio, Hilary Swank, Matthew Perry, Heather Graham and even Brad Pitt.

Pitt, "of course, is an activist, as well as an actor championing causes he believes in, including the drive against California's Prop 8 ban on same-sex marriage, which would, one assumes, put him squarely at odds with his former 'Growing Pains' colleague Kirk Cameron."

So far Pitt hasn't commented on Cameron's anti-gay remarks though just about everybody else has including Tracey Gold, who played his sister Carol.

In the words of Morgan, "Only in America would a long-defunct '80s sitcom be at the vanguard of a national debate on religion and morality."

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Only in America
  1. Karen Bock

We live in a society that wants to believe there is no right or wrong. Kirk Cameron was not passing judgement on gays or anyone else. He was saying what God's truth is. God's truth is in our Holy Bible. Love is not telling your children that what I am doing is not a sin so follow me, Love is saying I did this wrong, this is a sin, please don't do what I did! People can not twist God's truth to shape it into what they would like it to be....it is what it is...It's God's truth and it belongs to him.

March 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJ

God's truth really belongs to those who believe in them. Not everyone believes in your god and therefore the standards set by a democratic society should not revolve around your god and the beliefs that follow. Is that right or wrong?

March 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • DMS

The standards set by our democracy (actually the U.S. is a republic) SHOULD revolve around our God–He's the One who gave us life in the first place. You are sorely missing out if you don't know Him. Blessings to you.

March 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • KJ

And there lies the problem. You in some way want to impose your religion on me. Because you are right and I'm wrong. I just haven't seen the light yet. I'm missing out. Guess what, I'm not missing out on anything by no embracing religion or your God. I will never believe that just your God is the one who gave life and everyone else's God in the world is fiction. Why are you so special out of the 7 billion people on Earth? I know, because YOU believe it. That's fine. Keep it to yourself.

March 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • CS

Can't keep it to ourselves. Can't, can't, can't. If you don't want to know God, YOUR CHOICE. And I respect it. Don't agree with it, but respect the choice you have made. (not the choice you chose.) To know God is the most awesome and perfect thing that could ever happen to a person. If you had something like that would you keep it to yourself? If you had the cure to cancer (sin, Hell) would you tell someone? Guess what, you can't enter Heaven (whether you "believe" in it or not) because you and no one else has kept God's laws (the 10 commandments). But the good news is someone you don't know has pleaded on your behalf for God to let you in. He (Jesus) said, "I've paid the price for KJ and KJ has followed my teaching and is grateful for my sacrificing my self for him. KJ loves me. KJ can enter Heaven." Do you really want to stake YOUR LIFE on what you don't "believe in"? Please don't do that. Hell is going to suck so bad. It will be the most awful thing you will ever endure. Don't risk it. Just trust God. It wont kill you to trust Him.

March 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Krisztian Patay

KJ, Many of us used to be like you, maybe you are angry with God whatever it is you can challenge God and He will show himself to you If you do it according to His terms because It's you who is lost NOT God ! No one is imposing religion on you, God is knocking on your door, wake up KJ !!!

March 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anna Little

KJ – We impose our beliefs on you??? What do you call bringing gay lifestyle teaching to public elementary schools? What do you call wanting to remove any age of consent for all?? Please understand this is a two way street and has to be handled with fairness.....I do not hate any gays, but I do not want my five year old being taught about this either – not in elementary school!!!

March 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gay

As a Christian Conservative, I don't believe I have the right to say to you how to live your life. What you believe is " right or wrong" is your business. The problem I have is Kirk gave a honest, unpopular answer. There was no hate agenda, Gays should not be hiding in their closets for how they live their lives. It is not my place to judge, for that matter anyone. But I should have to hide in closet for my beliefs either. I believe being gay is a choice. You and others can disagree with that, and that's perfectly okay. That doesnt mean I want to take aways your right as human beings. We are all God's children...God gives us a choice how to live our lives, that being said...please don't read in to that if you are gay you are going to hell. That is up to your personal relationship with God. God hates all sin. There are none without sin. I hope you know that their are Christians out there that are non judgemental, compassionate, and caring.

March 8, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I agree.

March 7, 2012 at 4:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Deb

I agree with CS ! God bless U , CS!

March 7, 2012 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. emdub

this famewh0re morgan would give hitler an interview on the final solution and defend it as free speech too. pompous @sshole can start to carry the weight of the suicides and bullying he's endorsing

March 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jase arrive

Well said emdub

March 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ginger

C'mon. Placing all of that on Morgan's shoulders? Just a wee bit of an overstatement.

March 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. E.Johnson

If you believe in God and His Word the Bible then you have to believe the standard has been set. Romans 1: 26-27 plainly says that for a man to be with a man and a woman to be with a woman is unnatural just like Kirk Cameron said. And that is not the only place, it is found through out the Bible. Don't get mad a Kirk for trying to live his life according to God's Word. If you don't agree you will get to take it up with God one day.

March 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deb

i'm in agreement with U , EJ !

March 7, 2012 at 4:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Enrico

I'm not in agreement with you, bunch of bible pounding religious fanatics. Anyone who supports this no-body actor for saying gays destroy the fabric of civilisation are just crack pots. Kirk should keep his trap shut, or perhaps he is just trying to hide his own gay tendencies by being so hateful. Perhaps the tile growing pains referred to something else entirely. And as for freedom of speech, that is all fine, and fully agree, however, due to his past glory as a child actor, he still gets a wider audience than you or I will, and so the chance of hate crimes against gays due to this little sissy's comments is more likely.

March 7, 2012 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Krisztian Patay

Enrico, are you serious, hate crime ??? What a nonsense !!! You are the fanatic one an ungodly one. People like you are attacking believers in the name of hate crime. Now That's the hate crime !!!

March 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cthomson

Piers is a self-professed Roman Catholic .. hmmm ... perhaps you need to read the word and have a heart to heart with your parish priest to ensure you aren't twisting the words to suit your taste. Kirk is not a bigot, he is simply following the word of Christ in a world determined to do what it wants when it wants regardless of the consequences. Oh, and there will be consequences. We are all responsible for the choices we make and Kirk is as justified in standing up for the word of Christ as everyone else is in turning away from it. It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent people are so quickly turned away from the truth when it's the "popular" myth being perpetrated. Satan is having a field day !

March 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DTM

Back in the day, he used to prance around in his little short-shorts, then he went religiously insane. Poor Kirk.

March 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Krisztian Patay

DTM, We are all sinners including you DTM. Kirk has already done something about it. I pray to God one day you will do something about it too and come to repentence of your sins. Don't stay too long in the dark ! See and Taste If it's true. God bless you.

March 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • DTM

I was hoping to get a rise out of someone and looks like it is you, LOL, thanks. Honestly though, I feel bad that he gets so worked up about so many things. His confrontations are legendary. I'm sure that he means to do good. Yes, I am a sinner but I am paying for it by spending a life in Ohio.

March 7, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ImLook'nUp

Kirk is on the right path. God's way is always the best way!

Blessings to Kirk and his family.

March 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. YLpz

Piers is the biggest hipocrite there is. He dances to whatever tune he thinks is the most popular. You bring in guests to your show; and if your guests answers are unpopular you turn against them and speak harshly against them just like you did with Kirk Cameron only to satisfy your viewers. If the responses of the viewers where on the other side of things; you would be saying a completely different thing. Lack of character, dignity and honor on your part and total lack of respect for your guests. Very distasteful.

March 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shannon Willey

Agreed!!! Wouldn't it just be freaky to see a show done on all that christians ARE doing on this planet.....does anyone have ANY IDEA of how many ministries exist globally and what they accomplish??? The Christian community feeds the poor on this planet.....they were the first ones there in Haiti to help and many are going still every month. Christians are Gods feeding hand on this planet. CNN does that show called Heroes....most of them are christians!!! When Angelina Jolie and George Clooney go to Africa to access the issues – guess who they see there – living in poverty with the people who are starving?? Christians!! Kirk Cameron has done so much also – do you think we will hear any of that?? No not likely.....I actually really like Piers Morgan – but I am just sad when I see only negative press for those who give up so much for others.....and are constantly portrayed in a horrible light

March 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Bruce

You really need to educate yourself regarding "scientific proof "... as your statement is an outright lie!

If being gay is a choice... at what point in your life did you decide to be straight?

Please do yourself a favor and EDUCATE yourself before you speak... You need to get your facts straight, not Piers!

March 7, 2012 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
    • KW

I agree YLpz. Piers didn't have Kirk on the show to find out what he actually believes. He did it so he could ridicule him and his beliefs. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what he is trying so desperately to fight against.

March 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. miguel

Pier Morgan is shocked because he is catholic but speak as if he is not and Kirk is christian and speak consequently. According to him Kirk is not consistent.
    What is plain is this the greatest danaging factor in a society is when peple believe something, but says another. What is the value of a religion if you reject everything that it says, in fact those pople requiere GOD to agree with them and not the opposite. I am an atheist but i rather talk to a sincere christian than to one hipocrite

March 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. openminded19

Kirk can believe what he wants to believe. I could care less what he thinks about anything. He's a washed up child actor.

March 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ginger

Your name is meant to be ironic?

March 6, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • whoskirk

I couldn't agree more. I mean seriously, why does the media continue to give a voice to people (celebrity..or once celebrity) who's thoughts, beliefs and opinions mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to most people.

If I wanted substantive social commentary on this issue (or any other for that matter) Kirk Cameron wouldn't even show up on my widest range radar. Even if his beliefs were in line with mine, (which they aren't) he still wouldn't register with me in the slightest.

March 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Shannon Willey

Found this interview, again more revealing about Piers Morgan, never did I see Larry King have a guest on and bash them on another show with another guest.- just wrong.....Christians do not hate gays....this is one of the biggest lies that is being spoken in public on shows lilke this. Lets be clear 98% of christians....there are always nut cases out there who hate everybody. I do not agree with the lifestyle or the political agenda of the gay movement. By political agenda I mean – teaching children in elementary school about the gay lifestyle. There is not a scrap of scientific proof that any of them are "born that way" Piers – get your facts straight. Oprah had a whole group of lesbians on who demanded that they choose to live this way – they were not a "genetic mistake!!". God loves ALL live on this planet!! HIs creation of family was one of His most brilliant designs – and He should not have to apologize for His original intent when He created us......I would never point to the painting of the Mona Lisa and say, "She should have been blonde!". I would never treat a gay person with less dignity and love, because of my beliefs – nor would any christian I am continally saddened that christians are taking a bashing for being true to what they believe.....and it is not hate!!

March 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deb

Yes! it is NOT hate! God's Word speaks Truth and Love! Christians don't hate gay's , just as God does not hate gays. Yet, God's Word must be reckoned with by each person. This is what Christians try to share , His Word, His Truth , His Love. NOT hate.

March 7, 2012 at 4:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. muklukii

I've followed this Kirk's comments some fascination.Has it come to the point in this country where you are not allowed to express your beliefs? I checked the internet and news sites looking for articles with that were not against Kirk Cameron. I could find no such articles. Just articles about various Hollywood personalities, GLAAD and reporters bemoaning Kirk Cameron's "medieval mentality". I find it scary that there is such one sided reporting on this issue. Scary groups represents such a small minority can have such a total and complete control of the media and bash Christian values with such vitriol.

March 6, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. KJ

Piers,
    That was a great interview you had with Kirk Cameron. You asked the tough questions I think about when I hear religious folks trying to set the standards for everyone. I wish more interviewers would ask those hard questions, such as about the contradictory talks of "freedom". On one hand, some say the government needs to stay out of peoples business and let "freedom" flourish then on the other hand, they want the government to dictate woman's reproductive/health rights. I've heard an uproar lately that there is a war on religion. I've even heard some Christians arguing that our country was founded on Christian principals so that makes it ok to impose Christian beliefs into US law. I like to think of it from a different angle, the war is on the secular folks who don't want religion determining the laws that rule them. I respect those with religious beliefs as much as I want respected for not having religion in my life. So don't start an argument over US policies by suggesting it's a sin by your god.

Keep up the good work Piers. You are a refreshing addition to the CNN lineup. One who is not afraid to ask the tough questions.

March 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. DMS

Kirk Cameron is one of the few who dares to speak the truth.

March 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Luis

First point. According to who was hitler or stalin wrong????, According to who????, to the large consencus at that time???,if that is the case then Hitler and stalin were doing a good moral act. bcause there was a large number of individuals who agreed with them.

Now, those who are secular think that evil and good are defined by the "consencus" or "agreement" of the majority. Well my freinds, moral behvior is not accomplished this way, unless you live in a Totalitarianism type of goverment, which is ironic because that is what america is becoming....However, who defines mroals????, the majority?? or even the minority????, how do we know wether the majority vote or the minority vote is doing the ultimate good??? Of ocurse folks, there is no way to know if you believe that every men and woman decides what is truth for themselves alone. This world we live in is not a relativistic world....ther are set standards and truths that DO NOT CHANGE. The only way any nation will survive is to run it`s Goverment according to the moral standards of God and not men. History has proven, those nations who practice otherwise do not stand but perish.

America has become ignorant. A great nation of intellectuals, now a nation of fools. Our present president, Obama believes that you can be a Christian only on sundays and then hang your cristianity at the door of the white house and proceed to make godless laws. And these are the peopel who graduate Harvard University, the once great Cristain University????. This nation needs to embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ or perish and only see it`s nation crumble.

March 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJ

Ok, last post as I have to run. Yes, in US law, the majority that votes sets the laws. Thank god!!!! Wait, who's god? Hold on, there's more than one? Ok, instead I thank the forefathers that knew how religious groups could dominate a society with their belief system and squash those who don't believe it. That's why there is separation of church and state. Thank forefathers!!!!!!

It's been fun. Peace out.

PS: Golden rule works for me:
      The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[2] ethical code, or morality[3] that essentially states either of the following:
      (Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.[2]
      (Negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.

March 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rang

Hey Luis, you think God wrote the Bible?? Seriously, do you?? Be a good person, that's about all it needs to say.

Think for yourself, be your own person OR you can waste your life living it how men 1500 years ago wanted you to live it. You're choice...

March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. CAA

Fortunately, we live in a country where you have the right to express whatever you believe & think as much as anyone who opposes it. You can't have that right w/o allowing more than 1 view...otherwise, it's not a freedom. People have fought and died for us to preserve those rights.

There's a difference b/t expression and a hate crime in it's truest sense. Clearly Kirk is not being hateful. He has done nothing hateful. It may not be popular, but it doesn't have to be. If we want to preserve our freedoms, we need to be able to express ourselves no matter what. You don't have to agree with what he says, the Bible says or anything else. However, if I or anyone else wants to, we have the right to as well. Kudos to him for being true to what he believes and not being afraid to share. And for those who do not want religion "imposed" on them....don't impose on my right to have them either.

March 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. JMW

Let me throw a quote into the dogpile of comments, from Thomas Jefferson:

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

Allow me to opine: some commenters have said that America is declining because it is not following the dictates of God. I disagree. The decline would have come, whether American followed the dictates of God or not. Let's not forget that America's decline is in part relative – that the rest of the world is catching up.

March 6, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Deb

Each person has a freedom to their opinion and belief. And there is freedom of speech. Kirk Cameron is exercising that freedom. Not everyone will agree with everyone. I , as for my life, am in agreement with Kirk Cameron's interpretation of the Bible on this issue and i stand with him. Yes, it is the Truth , that God is the One True Judge and each of one us the day we die will find out the Truth. I hold to the Truth that is simple written in the Bible. -Deb

March 7, 2012 at 4:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bruce

Not everyone believes in your God...

March 7, 2012 at 4:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Krisztian Patay

I do !!!!!!

March 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Karen

Kirk was not putting anyone down. If you listen closely, he said he was just as guilty as anyone of sin in his life, but this is what you have to catch, he doesn't call it right. He calls it wrong. We can't make something right that we know is wrong. We have laws that say what is right and wrong. Our whole existence as a society depends on having laws that we live by to prevent anyone from doing whatever they want to do because it is "ok" in their mind.

March 7, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Jonathon

Kirk Cameron is right on. What a hero! Man... it takes guts to hang on to the truth these days. People !!!wake up. Imagine putting a boat together with only bolts or only nuts, the thing will sink. It takes a bolt and a nut to make sense and for it to work. Same with people, think about it. This is the only way i can say it so the sick can understand.
    Wake up America, as you continue in this perverse way, the reward cometh and it ain't going to be pretty.

This a just more prove that a evil darkness is above human behavior. Watch out while you can.

March 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Elena Miller

Thank you Cameron and family for being the light in these times of darkness. When being christian and saying what you believe in the bible is thought of as bigotry it shows that the end times are getting closer.

March 7, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Eva

Piers Morgan asked Kirk Cameron a question – and Kirk answered honestly and sincerely. I think Piers asked the loaded question because he knew Kirk's answer would cause controversy (which it did).... when was it wrong to have an opinion?? Kirk simply answered Piers' question .... there was no hate involved – Kirk doesn't "hate" guys, he just doesn't agree with the lifestyle .... since when was it wrong to disagree with something ??? I think those who are for gay marriage "bash" those who don't agree with gay marriage .... there is such vitriol displayed to those who feel that the gay lifestyle is not right ...........

March 8, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Penny Favale

Couldn't agree more with you Eva. Kirk was honest in his answer and should be left alone. We all have a "right" to our opinion even if it isn't popular.

March 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jason

After watching the way in which Piers Morgan has treated Kirt Cameron I will no longer be watching him, or CNN. Bye, bye cnn hello fox.

March 8, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karen

I totally agree! CNN isn't a real news station anymore! They are no better than the Jerry Springer show! Way to go CNN you just lost the rest of any credibility that you had left!

March 8, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. GKS

If you don't want a different view than your Piers then quit asking people to be on your show that has a different opinion than yours. If you don't know here in America we have what is called the right to free speech. Of course that really is no longer true because now if we have a view that is not politically correct then we are accused of hate speech.

March 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. John

Since many of you support Kirk Cameron (AkA CrocoDuck Boy) do you also support his belief that the earth is six thousand years old and evolution is a lie? Yes this is a test so THINK before you answer.

March 10, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Karen

Some people might choose to believe their family comes from monkeys, they know them better then I do, but I sir, do not.

March 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. SKR

Thankfully, truth is not relative. Truth is truth....whether you believe it or not. On the other hand...just because you BELIEVE something to be true, does not necessarily make it so. Although all analogies break down at some point....Is a doctor isn't being HATEFUL by telling a smoker they are going to die of lung cancer unless the stop smoking? Kirk telling people they need Jesus to avoid going to Hell seems more an act of LOVE than HATE. I'm sure he knew his response wasn't the popular answer and would cause an outcry, yet in spite of his own well-being...he cared enough for others to state the truth. Even if you don't believe it is true, you should give him that.

June 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Steve Heiser

Pierce Morgan you are the one who lscks understanding.

July 18, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve Heiser

Gensis 2:18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
      19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. When God created the earth He created it man and woman so therefore Kirk Camron knows what He is talking about.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
      and flesh of my flesh;
      she shall be called ‘woman,’
      for she was taken out of man. ”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
      25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

July 18, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Poetry

I do agree with all of the concepts you've introduced in your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. May you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

August 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply