Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 8th, 2012

Davis Guggenheim on making an Obama documentary: "The best thing I can do for my children and my country"

This evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes filmmaker Davis Guggenheim for an in-depth preview of his upcoming documentary on President Barack Obama, The Road We've Traveled.

The movie details Obama's term in office to this point, with a goal of opening America's eyes to his successes, and encouraging his reelection:

"Some people who believe that this is one of the most important choices we’re going to make in our country, is who’s going to be our next president," says the Academy Award-winning director.

The 17 minute project is narrated by Tom Hanks, and funded by the Obama campaign. Guggenheim says he took a pay cut on the project, as his reward will be another term for the incumbent:

"Some people knock on doors. Some people write checks. I gave 4 months of my life because I believe that this is what the best thing I can do for my children and my country is to get this guy reelected."

Watch the preview clip, and tune in this evening at 9 p.m. ET/PT as Guggenheim explains the challenges involved in a film of this caliber, and reveals any negatives he's seen in the current commander-in-chief.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. kantafa

this video has already been shown in Obama bio by one media. It was already been seen by many people. Play all the video ; there is nothing wrong in there. The only problem is that Obama is going up in the opinion polls. Remember the professor who traveled to Kanya to investigate the president birth ' s certificate

March 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Brislin

Where can I find the full-length video? I am a political commentator and I can't get my hands on a copy. I will be talking about it tomorrow and I need to have the facts. It looks good but I need the originnal. Can you send a link to me?

March 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Irmgard Kastner

I just watched Pearce Morgan interview Davis Guggenheim and I fell in lone with this Producer as he described President Barrack Obama whom I also adore. I agree with everything Mr. Guggenheim said, and I am utterly disgusted about the disrespect so many have against their President who will one Day be understood as the gratest President they ever had, it will be to late

March 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Count Hogula

You can't be serious. Can you name one accomplishment of this mulatto Jimmy Carter

March 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • angelgirl

No wait, are you YOU serious? Wikipedia reflects the following about the term mulatto – "the term mulatto has fallen out of favor, and it may be considered offensive in the United States[40]. Today, more popular terms include biracial, multiracial, mixed-race, and multi-ethnic" . So was that the purpose of your comment- to make an offensive comment about the President's skin color or ethnicity?

March 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
      • Jimmy

Here's a few of his accomplishments: let's see, he has tripled the national debt, he's weakened our national defense and made us look like mindless wimps in the eyes of our enemies, impressed upon the population that Government is your Nanny and will hold you up when you dont want to work and make excuses why you cant find a job enabling your laziness, established laws making it perfectly OK to kill your unborn child if you don't want it, he's made Isreal feel like they no longer have our firm backing and support while at the same time causing Iran to give give praise to his name.

March 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tim Allinson

Kudos to Piers for his insightful questions exposing Guggenheim's utter pro Obama bias. My gosh he looked like a deer in the headlights when Piers tried to get him to say if Obama had any negatives or if there was any objectivity in this slick campaign commercial.

March 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. scotty

found it interesting the way morgan treated santorum versus the way he treated guggenheim. very straight faced and aggressive right from the get go before guggenheim could say much. all over santorum, sucking up big time, telling him what a big fan of his wife he is, pathetic. how about putting politicians' feet to the fire the way you did guggenheim piers? after all, they are the ones throwing their hat in the ring – don't they deserve tough questions?

March 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ginny

I can't believe I am posting another comment tonight. Pierce you are showing your political bias and you were rude to Mr. Guggenheim. Obama has had many successes and the media isn't reporting them. I may stop watching your program if you are unable to show political objectivity .

March 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Shannon

So here we go Piers....Showing your true colors.....The Liberal Media Kicking off the Campaign season with the biggest propaganda video to date.....and it is just the beginning.....Hollywood and the Blatantly Liberal biased media.....America Doesn't stand a chance! But Many good men and women died defending the freedom Guggenheim expressed tonight....so I respect that.....I am just absolutely fed up with You Guys calling your selves "NEWS OUTLETS" You ARE far left Propaganda Machines.....That Simple....Very Disappointed in you Piers....Won't be watching anymore....You were the only thing I watched on the Communist News Network...oops....sorry ......CNN ..... Sleep well...if you can.....

March 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • scotty

did you actually watch the same show as me? sucking up to santorum so much made me want to throw up. check some of the other comments, we are sure not calling morgan "liberal"!!

March 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tara

I do not normally watch this show, but thought Piers did a great job with this interview. The whole show was great. I may become a fan. Guggenheim, how can you possibly say you find no faults with this president...you have lost any credibility with me. American people are not living in a fairytale.

March 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Carol

I thought Piers was a little rude to Davis. Just because you obviously love Santorum, who you just interviewed, you don't need to be so snarky to Davis Guggenheim. Some of us love our president and the work he has done despite of the right wing fighting against every thing he has tried to do. It's time people showed more respect for a wonderful president and stop trying to pull him down at every turn. Actually it's time people showed more respect for each other period. Piers, watch your face when you interview Rick Santorum and then again when you interview Davis Guggenheim. You really shouldn't be interjecting your feelings and opinions.

March 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. James

It concerns me when CNN (the worlds leading news program) has its prime time host subject a democrate to excessively biased and cynical jeers, while pandering to Republicans. Now if he's a Republican that's perfectly fine, but when you present information to the public, you also have a moral obligation to be fair, and avoid the temptation of letting your personal biases direct your interview questions and approach. What I have witnessed on prime time bears a strong resemblence to propaganda. Rather then debate issues, and use a criteria of facts, the host makes unfounded assumptions, and generalizations about the American public (based on his conservative beliefs) which bear no accuracy. This is a disturbing precedent for the successor of Larry King to be fabricating so-called fair and objective debate. I have yet to see either.

March 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brandon

Theirs a means to an END......The Left doesn't want to use up all the dirt they have dug up all at once! Otherwise the Republicans won't be able to drag this out longer. DUH!

March 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill Gobeille

Guess you need to consider the source. What did he do before this..."America's got talent"??? Revoke his visa!

March 9, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marry

Well said James! Piers is a panderer, not a journalist. He makes thinks up to his liking as he pokes around.

March 9, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Brandon

I was shocked and laughed out loud when Guggenheim couldn't think of a single negative about Obama. He's like a little school girl in love for the first time. WOW! this Davis guy is a true 100% Obama lap dog. How serious is America suppose to take this movie?....about as serious as guy that addresses a nation by reading a teleprompter I suppose.

March 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marry

Brandon, (and a few other ones here)
      referring to the teleprompter when commenting on the President puts you in the GOP/TP crowed. The president knows that in his position of responsibility he has to weigh his words. So criticizing the President, without having a base for it or having a better idea puts you in the area of people that prefer fiction over facts. It is high time that the facts are mentioned and Mr. Guggenheim does this. Now, we do like the facts of the Presidents work and also know very well why the GOP/TP has not worked at all over the last years for the people: They “wanted him to fail” and that is not a program but an insult. Still, even with that in place the President keeps his cool and works successfully and hard! It simply makes the GOP/TP including their “candidates” green with envy that the President is a brilliant, classy, smart (black) man working FOR all Americans!

March 9, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Brandon

The facts of the President....huh? OK here go's! It all started not so long ago when the Democrats had majority control in 2007. In 2009 Obama was elected and the Liberals had super majority in Washington....still the unemployment rate sky rocketed to almost 10% and has been over 8% for 3 years. It hasn't been this high for this long since the Great Depression.The national Debt has...gone up (by 5 Trillion dollars that's more then Bush in 8 years).The food stamp participation rate has...gone up (higher then any other President.) Gas prices has...gone up. And they are all getting higher. The U.S. lost the AAA credit rating and we also lost our NASA program.....all under GUESS WHO?

March 9, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christina

Kony2012

March 9, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brandon

Can anybody say "WAG THE DOG"

March 10, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Bill Gobeille

Oh, Where is Larry King?

March 9, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Nancy Harris

Piers was rude and disrespectful during this interview. He would do well to remember that he is just the journalist and not the subject of the story. He should not be interjecting his opinions but allow the subject to answer questions without interruptions to belittle their beliefs. I rarely watch Piers Morgan and after this will watch even less if at all.

March 9, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • CindyM

Well said Nancy

March 9, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ash

What are you people smoking? Morgan's show is commentary, not Nightly News. An adult should be able to understand that.

Could Obama supporters have any thinner skin? You think Obama is above reproach, and that just isn't the case.

March 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SbNative

Love that Piers asked Guggenheim "Just how much of a syncophant are you?" Best question of the night!

March 9, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jack

He should have just said "Not any more of a sycophant than you were when you were licking Rick's santorum". FYI it is "SYCOPHANT" not "synCOphant". To quote a luminary – "You cant fix stupid".

March 9, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • SbNativeLaurahout

OMG – I made a typo on IPad keyboard. Horrors! Thanks for the personal attack, you must be a " liberal" – hah!

March 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barbara

I often watch Piers Morgan's interviews, but was extremely disappointed in the biased and rude way he interviewed Mr. Guggeneheim. Even if Mr. Morgan does not support Mr. Guggenheim's philosophy, he should present himself as a neutral party in an interview. Morgan kept goading and questioning with awful facial expressions. Using the word, "sychophant" was loaded and completely disrespectful. He owes Mr. Guggenheim an apology. And if there was a sycophant present, it was Piers in his ridiculous "interview" with Santorum.

March 9, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Eddie York

Who edits their films more....Andrew Breitbart or Davis Guggenheim? Editing is a good thing now especially when the film is about Obama and the Director earns his living by making fiction appear true to life?

When Guggenheim couldn't think of a single negative about Obama, it became clear that his credibility is as true as Obamas empty campaign promises and his failed Presidency. Davis can look forward to a Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts that Obama will steer his way.

March 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SbNativeLaurahoutLaurahout

Eddie you got that right! Guggenheim and NEA: coming soon to a progressive audience near you. How vapid are they hoping we are? NOT! And they will find out in 2012.

March 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. John

It amazes me who these right wing commenters completely disregard or don't know the facts. For example, Barack Obama is considered the most conservative Democratic president of our lifetime, but he's painted as an extreme leftist. One comment said he has no accomplishments, but disregard that almost everyone in this country and worldwide that actually looks at his record considers him to be an excellent president on foreign affairs. I'm not a fan of the left, but in the race to be the nuttiest extremists, the right has left the left far behind. If the right actually wanted to win in 2012, they'd concede the president's accomplishments and argue policy issues going forward, but they don't, which means that President Obama will win over the fair minded and reelection in 2012. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh will be happy, because the partisan, whining persecution politics they preach will be what those sore losers who would again not accept that they lost to a bright articulate half African American would want to hear. They don't care about this country just their myopic view of the world. We moderates are sick of it and just like we don't like propaganda from the left, the right is now so much more offensive.

March 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jimmy

He's a spendaholic not a conservative. Are you blind dude! He has spent money this country does not have like a kid with a credit card and is on track to bankrupt us so we can all be slaves to him. He wants you to fall for his BS so he can control more of your life and you are taking the bait with mouth wide open. Send it on Oh mighty one that we might fall down and worship you more. Chomp chomp, fool!

March 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Joyce

Are you freakin crazy people can't even afford gas for there car and you want people to spend money to go see what Obama has done for this country ! I. Think we all have paid enough money to see what a crappy job he has done we don't need to spend MORE!!!!!

March 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Joyce, thanks for making my point. First off, no one is asking you to pay more. Second, I love how President Obama is blamed for everything that is not going well and gets no credit for what is going well. As far as gas prices, for the first time since the forties, the U.S. is a net exporter of fuel oil. In other words, the President does not control the price of gas, it's not something we do in this country. Stop listening to Rush and Fox and you'll see how badly you've been misled. Lastly, no I'm not freakin crazy.

March 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • SbNativeLaurahoutLaurahoutLaurah

Like Bush never got blamed? come on now John, you know the game: you want to be Prez, you get the blame. No double standards please. And I'm with Joyce.

March 10, 2012 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  19. barry

I just watched Piers' smug, disrespectful, mocking and insulting treatment of Guggenheim (and obviously, by extension, President Obama) ...Piers has now lost me as his biggest fan...Piers, you are truly an A–hole...

March 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. DL

Everyone commenting here are out of their minds. Piers is a pretty fair interviewer and asked a pretty fair question to start out. Guggenheim gave a ludicrous response which prompted his reaction. You should expect at least this sort of scrutiny from every interviewer on both sides. Also, whoever is going to appear on national television should at least have the savvy to handle that level of scrutiny without sounding like a brain dead ideologue (unless that is the point).

March 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Free Credit Report Score

I've been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i am glad to express that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot without a doubt will make certain to don?t put out of your mind this web site and provides it a glance on a constant basis.

April 16, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Raynau Mckainz

I’m impressed, I need to say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the problem is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very completely satisfied that I stumbled throughout this in my search for something referring to this.

June 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply