Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 8th, 2012

Rick Santorum on Mitt Romney: "He clearly did not tell the truth"

On the heels of this week's Super Tuesday, tonight Piers Morgan welcomes GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum for another candid discussion on politics, his family, and his political rivals, including Mitt Romney.

As the sit down interview turns to health care, Santorum expresses his extreme displeasure with what he feels are untruths coming from the former Massachusetts governor:

"To me that's offensive. For...someone to go out and deliberately misrepresent...his record, what he did at a very critical time when people were making decisions on the issue of healthcare," Santorum tells the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host.

Showing he's learned a lesson from previous campaign gaffes, during which he resorted to calling President Obama a "snob," Santorum stops short of labeling Romney a "liar", saying only that his opponent hasn't been honest:

"He clearly did not tell the truth. That you don't necessarily go and...you know, accuse the person of...on a personal level. You describe the action. I did, and I accurately described Governor Romney did not tell the truth to the Republicans at the debates serially telling them...telling people that he did not do what we now know he did repeatedly."

Watch the preview clip, and tune in this evening at 9 p.m. ET/PT as Santorum explains how his wife Karen keeps a close watch on his diet, and helps him avoid any missteps on the stump.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Chris

Pierce. You are a wimp. How could you let Rick Santorum off the hook on his response to Limbaugh? That the republican candidates do not dare to stand up to Limbaugh is coward and a shame.

March 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pAUL

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU....

March 8, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jill

I couldn't wait to get on line and say the same thing. I totally agree. Piers I adore you but was really shocked at how you let Rick Santorum off the hook about Limbaugh.

March 9, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ginny scott

I am concerned that Mr. Morgan continues to have Rick Santorum on the show. Tonight Santorum dodged the question regarding the horrific comments made by Limbaugh. I think Mr. Morgan is exhibiting partiality to the Republican candidates and I find this disconcerting. I am disappointed in the path this show is taking.

March 8, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marry

I agree with you Ginny.
      However, “candidate” Rick Santorum, does not only doges questions – he does not understand them and has no answers. When he has no vision, no management skills (he admitted he has none and though he says, he has it with religion, he does not even understand what that is all about either!) what is he doing in the race? It must be same the GOP/TP and their other “candidates” do: Run their mouth and spewing disaster and look for ways to personally enrich themselves or their rich friends! It is not even anymore a question of policies (one should be interested and discuss those) it has become a question of integrity and character. They have none! So never mind policies; I would NEVER vote for people that have proven to me that they are unworthy because of their insincerity, hypocrisy, and unwillingness to work in the interest of (all) the American people and the country as show over years and years while they where involved in politics! Not to mention their campains. Can it get more rediculous, primitiv and stupid? That is how they behave while running for the highest office? Novermber 2012 cannot come soon enough!

March 9, 2012 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Logan

Watching Rick on Piers's show, is it my TV or is Rick getting tanner every week. What does he have tanning bed on his plane he hops States?

March 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rhea

this post is for Cindy McCain and her comment on Piers show in defense of Sarah Palin. She commented how "women on the right" were treated unfairly by the left. Really?? Cindy, where have you been? Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton have been DEMONIZED by the right for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unjustly I might add. Sarah Palin is not a good American. She resigned as governor of Alaska and otherwise has done nothing for America. Nothing.

March 8, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Vlastimir

Loved Piers' lack of facial expression while interviewing RS; perfectly reflected his opinion :)

March 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Steve

Piers, I watch your show every night , but why do you keep giving so much air time to Rick Santorum. I know you disagree with most of views so I am a little puzzled. He has been a regularly recurring guest. I'm a gay man and Santorum literally makes my skin crawl.

March 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Margaret

Disgusted by Mr Morgans continued sucking up to Rick Santorum allowing him to dodge comments by Limbaugh and Cameron and yet being highly condescending to Obama film maker maybe it's time to join Fox Pierce I'm sure you'd fit right in. It's true this show is going down the drain!!!

March 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Linda

What breathtaking arrogance...to chastise Rick Santorum–a man running a bruising campaign for the most demanding and powerful job on the planet– for missing a Piers Morgan program! When Santorum admitted he had not seen Kirk Cameron's appearance last night (Wednesday), Piers scolded Santorum with " You really need to keep up; that's part of the problem." Really, Piers? Regular viewership of your show is essential for a successful run for the White House? Until that moment, I had regarded you as a reasonably credible and lucid person. With that single remark, the mask fell away and just another egocentric, self-important show biz type was revealed. Get over yourself, Morgan, you're a talking head. End of story.

March 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elizabeth Burrows

Rick Santorum is as crazy as a Bed Bug. He goes home and dons his white Hood and Robe. Piers gave him a pass on EVERYTHING, he was kibitsing with him, they are "buddies", for God Sake! Your take on the Interview ,was wrong, can't you see? What Piers IS guilty of, is being a pompous ASS,and being condescending, and interrupting people he disagrees with.I can't stand the guy.Republicans love him .Very biased Man, and it shows.

March 9, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Marry

Very nicely observed, Elizabeth!
        His “political” interviews make no sense. The questions are not meant to inform the public but to embarrass his guests when he does not like them or let them of the hock when they say outrageously misleading things.
        One has the impression “anything to make a buck” – so very GOP! I guess he works on becoming the press secretary in a Santorum WH and practicing the right kind of hypocrisy for that job! It is not going to happen, Piers!

March 9, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. nana

Rush Limbaugh has has abused women who testified before Congress about the health care coverage. Rush Limbaugh in the past has bad mouthed any one he feels like knowing who not to say a word against right ? Will Rush Limbaugh for all the lies and abuse he has been saying on air for years ?
    Does any one remember Sanchez who was fired from the radio show, which seems like he's saying CNN and the networks are run by Jews : I'm telling ... That Jews control the media, banks, government and every other ... CNN will take this long overdue opportunity to take him off the air.

March 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Machtyn

Santorum is the one lying here. Romney NEVER advocated for MassCare (RomneyCare) on the national level. NEVER. If Santorum thinks so, he OBVIOUSLY cannot read or comprehend what he reads (which would explain how he voted for bills he personally disagreed with...) But back to the point at hand. If you read Romney's 2009 op-ed, you will CLEARLY see that Romney did NOT advocate RomneyCare on a Federal level. He recommended that States look at it as a possibility.

Here is a more precise response with context. http://mittromneycentral.com/2012/03/04/a-response-to-the-current-buzz-over-romneys-2009-op-ed-on-health-care-a-liberal-buzzkill/

March 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. britguyinnj

Why is no-one asking why it is ok for Israel to have over 200 undeclared nuclear weapons and yet Iran is not permitted to have one. Piers you are British like me, start acting like a Brit and ask the question that no-one in the US media is asking.

March 8, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • annette

Does Israel have that many weapons??? I don't care if they are declared or undeclared, I just HOPE they DO have them! They will certainly need them when Iran attacks them!

March 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Vlastimir

I lived and worked in the middle east. Among others in Saudi arabia, Iran, Egypt and Libya.
        Have your opinion formed by CNN, I dont care. But, please take a look at a map before you give comments like these!
        Iran attacking Israel is nonsense, if nothing else then because of geographic reasons! Also, the Israeli military (which actually rules Israel!) is more than capable of defending itself, without using nukes – which would put them on par with Nazi war criminals!

But, I guess the redneck-teaparty rhetoric is much more comfortable to stick to, as it allows you to sheepishly consume their BS, making you feel god-chosen and invincible...bound for heaven :)

March 10, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mark

Piers, I have been watching CNN since the debates started – your show retoric has changed and I can not believe how you abused Kirk Cameron and then again Michelle Bachman and then tonight trying to get Santorum to jump into that stupid commentary.

My son is gay and the reason that the gay community is having trouble with the straights is because of the way people like you and that network keep abusing the straights every chance you get.

I might watch Erin and sometimes Anderson but I will never again tune in to your time slot.

Thanks for reminding me how biased some of you still are.

March 9, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Steve

Pierce- What a great puff piece with Santorum. You're "piercing" questions to Rick had me glued to the tube. When you're done with this gig, Hollywood Extra will be dying to have you. Sucking up really suits you !

March 9, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. sam ram

Piers,

Appears you have a bias against Romney! Way too much time to Romney and Gingrich!!

March 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Zbyszek

...if Romney says he will go after Obamacare then I have just as much faith in that as I do in anything Rick Santorum might say on the ebcjsut.BTW, it might take years to completely dismantle Obamacare and Congress might even decide to keep provisions on issues like pre existing conditions.

April 4, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply