Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 9th, 2012

Nick Cannon on battling illness: "I'm a glass-is-half-full type of guy"

Coming up this evening on "Piers Morgan Tonight," actor, producer, and "America's Got Talent" judge Nick Cannon visits the show for an honest and entertaining interview focusing on his personal life, including his wife Mariah Carey, and his recent health scare.

After a frightening fight with the kidney disease lupus nephritis, Cannon reveals staying positive, even facing potentially fatal consequences:

“Everyone else around me, obviously, was really like this is life-threatening and this could happen,” Cannon tells Piers Morgan. “I never got to that stage where I was like, 'OK, this is it'...I’m a glass-is-half-full type of guy, so I never went to that place.”

During the candid discussion on the full range of Cannon's symptoms, the 31-year-old details a recent setback related to the condition:

"After I hosted the pre-show for the Super Bowl, I started to get pain again, and, this time it was a little higher and there was fluid around my lungs. I had two blood clots in my lungs," Cannon tells his former "AGT" colleague. "And because of that, I also had enlarged heart too, so there was a lot that really happened because my kidney's weren't functioning right."

Tune in tonight at 9 p.m. ET/PT as Cannon details life alongside Mariah Carey, and explains how lupus nephritis has forced him to tailor back his work schedule.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Renate Nishio

Mr. Cannon indicates he takes bloodthinners to avoic blood clots, actually, the thinner the blood, the more the body will use it's Fibronogen (blood clot producing) to avoid injury in blood vesselts etc. Therefore, the blood clots he found in his loungs could have been caused by the bloodthinner products he took.
    Also, the emotional aspect of a kidney disease according to chinese medicine is hardly ever discussed.
    The Kidney/Bladder element being water (winter season) is including the emotional aspects of FEAR and FEELING STUC, feeling discouraged. Does that sound familiar nowadays?
    A lot of perople now share these emotions, and in excess, in can create any kind of kidney related disease.
    Why is that never discussed?
    R.Nishio, hhp, nctmb
    San Diego

March 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Simon

Renate, u think u know it all? U may be right but a disease can have variants of presentation on different individuals. Warfarin & other blood thinners actually prevent blood clotting, that's why they are called "anti-coagulants".
      u may be right, but this is just one patients story and the treatment seems to have worked, he looks healthy.
      This is not a forum to discuss Chinese medicine... its about Nick Cannon and his battle with Kidney disease.

March 10, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Khayro

Margaret,I was not privy to any of these meetings eihetr which is probably a good thing because I am 100% against this project moving forward. The scale of the project is just too big for this neighborhood which is already saturated with facilities of this type, not to mention a 400 bed nursing home which already impacts this neighborhood tremendously.It seems to me that you are still looking for ways to get this project built? What do you envision as an altered project that would be suitable for this already over burdened neighborhood?Let's not forget, they want to situate the main entrance to the facility on Cannon Place a narrow one way street that barely has enough room to pass if there is a double parked car.

June 28, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicolae

The only giant glass tubing alilvabae to us happened to be open at both ends. To close one end, we attached a cylindrical glass bowl using white cement. I think the ring you are seeing is the cement.

June 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Amanda Guenter

How many times is Piers going to go back to the Kirk Cameron interview? Come on, let's move on. Please tell him to change the channel or I will. It is getting really old and his own hostility and intolerance has become quite apparent.

March 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. David Lawrence

2 Timothy 4:3-4
    New International Version (NIV)
    3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
    The Bible indicates what is happening today, on your program, in society....so please be advised that Gd will not be mocked, after all, it is in his time that he has allocated to us. Make the best of that short time, know his word and then find your comment as right.

March 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lara Akin

It is funny how media people refer to genuine, God fearing people as bigots. I think you should look in the mirror and you will see the bigger bigot; it is the media. When did having a different opinion based on convictions become bigotry? How am I a bigot and you are not? If you are so convinced you are in the right why you think someone else is not beats me. It is the media and Hollywood who have been intolerant, not Christians. You can easily quote 'love your neighbour' to Christians and you want them to uphold that and not other ordinances they live by. Christians love everyone and embrace all but we will love them enough to tell the truth and if you and your friends cannot handle that right to freedom of speech then it is your problem. The way you have hammered and hammered on Kirk's opinion, shows you are the intolerant one. Look at all the polls online on Kirk Camerons interview, 87% of the public approve of what he said. You are the one losing sleep over this issue. I think no Christian should honor your invitation for an interview anymore. It shouldn't even be you Piers criticising anyone the way you show so much hate for Madonna for no reason. You and the media constant effort to force your opinion on 90% of the world is what is absurd.

March 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Daniel Samai

I am currently watching Montel on Pierce tonight; I must say that I have a whole new level of respoect for Montel henceforth. No one has ever said it better, or with any more passion with a direct blast at the current reckless political system/candidates who are supposed to governing this country while men and women who are protecting this nation's democracy are being killed overseas in combat. Ridiculous. Like Montel says, it won't be any of the children of our political leaders who comfortable sit in their offices with barely any real understanding of what it means to fight and protect this country.

March 12, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. quote

I am sick of these story where one politician is saying that another is not telling the truth is this supposed to be funny, are you supposed to be a journalist, this story is ridiculous and shows that Mitt Romney must be gaining strength again Obama as the media (You) are taking stories and placing some twist of moral character, I took journalism and this is bad, a real sad time in American media.

March 12, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jennifer williams

Piers,
    Please do your research before interviewing a subject. Had you done that before your interview with Nick Cannon you would know that Lupus Nephritis is not a "cool" disease, or a rapper's name. Its a life-altering, potentially fatal disease that I battle everyday. Thankfully I am currently in remission, but I am always one blood test away from finding out it has returned. To me, Lupus Nephritis is the disease that could very well take me away from my 5 and 7 year old daughters. I understand you were trying to make light of a serious situation, but that disease kills people everyday and and shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Thanks,
    Jen Williams

March 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Name*Catherine Nichols Pogorzelski

Forward this message to Nick Cannon:
    Nick:
    FYI
    I urge you, that for your children, Morrocan and Monroe, as well as your beautiful wife, Mariah, you use every connection within your methods  of healthcare (and I know this is vast, based on your financial means); to first get tested for Lyme Disease at Igenix Labs in CA.

I tested negative (or what doctors are told to CONSIDER NEGATIVE SO THIS IS NOT SEEN AS THE EPIDEMIC FOR WHICH IT TRULY IS) and I had Babesia and b. Burgdorferi parasitic  co-infections of Lyme Disease. You DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A FEVER IN ORDER TO BE SUFFERING WITH LYME DISEASE! I suffered twenty years needlessly, even though I suspected Lyme, my doctors ordered unnecessary MRI's the damage from which I am is suffering(skin thickening    & contractures/ fibrosis/pain/circulatory issues and chronic infections of staph/strep and Klebsiella) and because you are a bi-coastal family man, Lyme tests should be done, even if you do not recall having a rash either!

At least YOU won't get the ubiquitous, "Well you're not BLACK,  so you could not Possibly have Sarcoidosis", I am not Black as far as I know; and was told I could not possibly have certain diseases based upon my Race, but i have tested positive then negative for Sarcoidosis. ACE levels CAN fluctuate.especially if the sinus cavity is caving in and you've done "nothing ie (snorted drugs) to cause this! It can also happen in Wegener's Granulomatosis and Churg-Strauss Disease. A few things your docs may also want to scope out for you.

Your  doctors should be keenly aware if they are working you up for lupus and/or a lupus-like condition,  that in light of your KIDNEY ISSUES, , those work ups SHOULD NOT INCLUDE ANY MRI'S OR MRA's that contain GADOLINIUM CONTRAST ( such as Magnevist) I am including a link here for you here:
    As usual you have
    To type in the http:// first, but this site would not allow me to post this otherwise:
    m.radiographics.rsna.org/content/29/1/9.figures-only

As those with KIDNEY ISSUES, may develop, albeit rare, a condition known as : NEPHROGENIC SYSTEMIC FIBROSIS. I am also being worked up for this and although never diagnosed with Kidney Disease PRIOR to the administration of 10 MRI's with the injectable GADOLINIUM BASED CONTRAST AGENT-MAGNEVIST- for work ups of    undiagnosed Lyme Disease.
    Good luck in your HealthQuest, you ARE going to need it! If you have already had any MRI's with GBCA's ALREADY, you tell your doctors,  NEVER AGAIN! Do not ad insult to injury and those of us with injuries sustained from GBCA's would need you as a spokesperson for us to get the word out on this travesty in the name of medical science.
    Sincerely,
    Catherine A. Pogorzelski

March 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Name*Catherine Nichols Pogorzelski

Nick, I hope you are seeing some top-notch doctors and just listen to your body; it will always tell you what you can and can't do. You are young yet, and having your whole life with Mariah, as well as your beautiful babies, ahead of you. Pace yourself and you will succeed at it all. Money and success may be there but health is precarious, I wish you all the best!
    PS scope out some support groups, anonymously; you will be amazed at the priceless help and up to date info you can garner; insights into illness you will never get from your docs, no matter what med school they got their degrees from; patients have the degrees that count, their experiences are far better teaching and coping tools than any text book may teach! Good luck!

March 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Adelia

Ciao sono nuovo mi sono registrato 2 min fa.Mi sono letto i omcmenti di vari argomenti . Che dire alcuni sono un p sempre troppi ottimisti.prima di dire bello o brutto aspettiamo di giocarci

April 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Private label rights spun articles

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

April 24, 2012 at 5:32 am | Report abuse | Reply