Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 21st, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Surrogates for Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum react to the Illinois primary

In the aftermath of the Illinois primary, on Tuesday "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed surrogates for both Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum.

Crunching the numbers from the former Massachusetts governor's victory in the Prairie State, his Senior Adviser believed the race was all but over:

"He has half the delegates he needs to secure the nomination," said Eric Fehrnstrom. "If you look at the math, and if you understand how delegates are allocated, and you understand the upcoming contests on the calendar, there really is no opportunity for Mitt Romney's opponents at this point to make up the ground."

Meanwhile, the perspective from John Brabender and the Santorum camp was decidedly different:

"Well, look. You have to look at this as a long process. Last week we won Kansas, we won Alabama, we won Mississippi. We knew that Governor Romney would eventually win again," Santorum's Senior Campaign Adviser told host Piers Morgan. "Now we're moving on to Louisiana, and after that, we're only going to be at halftime."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as Fehrnstrom and Brabender each make cases for their candidate.

-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Clips From Last Night
  1. Larry

HORSEFEATHERS, Dr Ron Paul is actually winning and we all know it!!! Piers it's hard for me to believe that you too have been silenced like the rest of our MSM...;(

March 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Sherri Hall-Rivera

Dear Mr. Morgan:
    I am SICK & TIRED of celebrity christians being slammed for stating their christian opinion! We are truly "sheep amongst wolves"!!!! The christian churches are the ones shut down OR burned, christians are STILL being persecuted AND martyred over-seas, a few years ago a bill was trying to be passed to break the arms off the crosses in Arlington National Cemetary, a little girl received a failing grade in a class for choosing to write an essay on a theme from "Veggie-Tales". {Parents sued AND won}!!!! I recently lost my job as a result of being accused of "reading the Bible" while on shift!!!! In the first week I was told all christians are "socio-paths" and received a live message over my walkie-talkie that I was a "hater". We can't use our Savior, Jesus Christs name to end our prayers in Iraq, {my daughter did a tour in the army there} nor can we even carry a Bible where it can be seen in many places!!!! Jesus Christ said "He" would become the "rock of offense" and "He" was absolutely correct,{of course}!!!! As socialism moves into America slowly but surely, I expect it to get ever worse. I will continue to "pray for those who hate us & do good to those who despitefully use us". God Bless you Mr. Morgan with "Truth" and "Light"....
    Grace & Peace:
    Sherri Hall-Rivera

March 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dlschrag

Piers, I listened to your clip with Fehrnstrom, and once again you misunderstand Newt and seem to be content with that. Newt's point was not a whine that Romney spends more than his opponents, but the logical argument that IF Romney outspends his primary opponents 7 to 1 AND he can't get a majority vote in by far most of the contests THEN Romney will have a difficult time facing Obama because Obama can't likely be outspent. Or was this a ploy to get Fehrnstrom to show that he can't understand a simple argument by Newt either?

March 23, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Wube

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn iemothsng like this before. So good to search out any individual with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's wanted on the net, somebody with a little bit originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

April 2, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ichchha

Someone please tell Santorum that Romney was not even nrgeovor during the time of the Wall street bailouts and Romney unlike Santorum never spent anytime working for the federal government so how is Romney responsible for the Wall street bailouts. Romney has been quite vocal in his opposition to the auto bailout and the mortgage bailout and has taken heat for those positions from the DNC.Santorum's talking points are nothing but manufactured lies and Romney's team had better pounce on him for his dishonesty. The media won't correct Santorum so it is up to Romney to set the record straight asap.

April 3, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Edwin

The really diinustsgg thing is that people like Santorum did not have any problem at all with Romneycare when it passed..oh noooo, they thought it was a great idea..why the people from the Heritage Foundation showed up for the bill signing..and now like the back stabbers they are they change their minds.As for the government takeover of Wall Street..I had not noticed that Wall Street has ceased to exist or that it had been taken over..and this is coming from a guy who voted 5 times to raise the debt ceiling.

April 3, 2012 at 2:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Wildan

TamYou know what? The lowest ptorel (gas) price here (PRUK) is 129.9 a litre. That\'s around 5.90 a gallon (they changed it to litres so we wouldn\'t have CVA\'s at the pumps). That equates to around $9.28 a gallon – and guess what? We\'re still driving, and SUVs and sports cars are as popular as ever. The argument of pricing people out of their cars is stupid, the depreciation and insurance on a car is enough to make ptorel prices annoying but not decisive (especially when you have to drive to work).As to the actual point, we have three identically idiotic and self-serving parties here (the leaders of which make me wonder if there\'s a lab producing party leader clones). I\'d vote UKIP but then I\'d be harangued for \'letting Labour/Conservatives/Liberals back in\' not that I can tell the difference. At least there are minor variations in your politicians.If you don\'t want him, can we have the \'invisible man\' for Prime Minister please. I\'d say Lady Thatcher was needed but we\'ll never be lucky enough to see her like in power again :-(

April 4, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Zafitri

Back in 1992 President George H.W. Bush along with 177 world leaders aerged to support a UN backed global plan for “Sustainable Development”. Then in 1995, President Clinton signed Executive order (EO) #12858. This country USA is a Republic and if you don't know that means look it up. I think Obama has the mind set he will do what HE thinks is best for this country and to heck with what the Republic wants. Obama is now bragging on how he saved this country from a depression, I got Obama Bin Laden the muslim terrorist, I, I, I, I, did this and that look at me I, I, deserve to be reelected. He never admits he failed at anything, of course he is a Divine. We have an economy that is sick, sicker now than when George Bush was President. Obama has pumped trillions of dollars into the economy and has giving billions that can't be found, who got it, creative accounting. Who got Obama's Stash???!!! Guess who got it, not the cream filling.

December 17, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply