Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 30th, 2012

Only in America: Mike Tyson's Mega Millions challenge

On Thursday's edition of "Piers Morgan Tonight," the host used his "Only in America" segment to take a chance at winning a nine-figure lottery:

"I'm not guaranteeing I'll win," Piers Morgan noted. "The odds are 175.5 million to one, approximately. I'm, of course, talking about the same thing that the whole of America is talking about – Mega Millions' 540 million dollar jackpot."

In rolling the dice on his financial future, Morgan included an individual all too familiar with odds: his guest Mike Tyson. The Mega Millions lottery represents Mike Tyson's chance at winning back all the money he lost over the years.

"Here's the thing: I have two tickets," Morgan explained. "You can only choose one. We've got 10 seconds left. This could decide the rest of your life. Choose one."

Showing the bravado that defined him during his days in the ring, the former boxer pulled the ticket from the host's left hand. This evening's drawing will determine whether or not either man sees his number come up:

In the words of Morgan, "Only in America could a British cable news host take on the former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world and stand a cat in hell's chance of winning."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Only in America
  1. Tim Zwickey

The interview with Mike Tyson last night was pathetic. How could you pick a moron and a thug at the same time to comment what happened in Florida? As far as I am concerned it was a very low point for CNN reporting if that was the best you could do for someone to comment on the slaying!

March 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. penka sabeva

Hi , interview with Mike Tyson was huge success , I think . Things he said were wise , concise, gave his opinion in a kind of humble way .. really enjoyed it , not a fan of boxing but from tonight am fan of Mike Tyson !

March 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • tim zwickey

Pretty much all he said over and over was I don't know

March 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bryan

I only caught the tail end of this interview and it was one of the most unusual ones I've seen. Tyson reminded me of Lenny from FLowers for Algenon. At times, he resembled a 7 y/o, gleefully acting out, i.e. when he was watching his scene from Hangover. In fact, he did the "air drums" twice. It was remarkable. My guess is that Piers was trying hard to remain composed. And the very last seconds were touching. Tyson reached out to Morgan with both hands and gave a heartfelt thank you - as if grateful for the opportunity to be interviewed, and the respect that Morgan obviously displayed. For what it's worth, I've had no prior interest in Tyson or boxing, so it's a real credit to both Morgan and Tyson that I was captivated.

Does anyone know where I can watch the entire interview? I'm hoping that it will re-air on Sat or Sun, but I doubt it. Thanks,

March 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. daniell p

Piers, don't you have a prescreening of the people you interview> I mean come on that interview with mike tyson was ridiculous. Couldn't understand a sentence he said. You should have known better then interview a complete clown. Anyone who thought that interview was of interest has to be mentally challenged. Piers , the expression on your face trying to make heads and tails of what he said was priceless.

March 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Fasika Melaku

Hello Piers
    I'm just writing this comment, how some people loose their mind and talk nonsense.In your show today(by the way I love your show since you have your first interview with Oprah or unofficial interview with Anderson Cooper another hero of mine). Who is this Idiot Ture? Would you please convey this message to him that God gave us our head not only to comb our hair but to use our brain. I loved your interview with the killer brother. It was very professional and you deserve respect. Specially Mike Tyson comment was very brilliant and can used in court. Ture you are one hake of idiot shut your mouth.
    So long Mr. Morgan

March 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Roibert J

My thanks for allowing me to see Mike Tyson as a man deserving respect.

April 1, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. papijump online

Hello there, I found your web site by the use of Google at the same time as looking for a similar topic, your website got here up, it seems to be great. I have added to favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Autnacup

Can you post your dairy-free pumpkin pie rpiece? I had to make a pumpkin pie to bring to my uncle's house, but it was the regular kind. My son was pretty upset that he couldn't have some. The safe apple pie I made was good, but he really wanted some of the pumpkin pie that everyone else was enjoying.We are having another Thanksgiving at our house this Saturday, and I'd love to have some pumpkin pie that we can all have.Thanks, and I love your blog!

May 23, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. monopostes publicitarios

I do not even know how I finished up right here, however I assumed this post was once great. I don't recognise who you might be but definitely you are going to a famous blogger in the event you aren't already. Cheers!

April 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. papijump online

Fantastic submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & help different customers like its helped me. Great job.

May 24, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse | Reply