Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 5th, 2012

Mark Geragos: "If you're not a police officer and you shoot and kill somebody, they arrest first and ask questions later"

As the nation continues to follow the Trayvon Martin case, this evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed a panel of guests to add insight and perspective into the events of the February 26th shooting.

Joining host Piers Morgan in studio, Mark Geragos explained where he thinks the case took it's first strange turn:

"Anybody who has been connected to the criminal justice system knows that if you're not a police officer, and you shoot and kill somebody, they arrest first and ask questions later," said the Defense Attorney. "That has not happened here. There was an arrest, but for some reason, he was let go. And now they are investigating."

Appearing live on Thursday night, Victims' Rights Attorney Gloria Allred also questioned the way in which things have been handled from a legal perspective:

"The lead investigator reportedly did refer this case for prosecution, did think an arrest should be made. On the other hand, it appears to have been rejected by the state attorney," said Allred. "It appears that there may have not been a thorough investigation."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as both Geragos and Allred raise questions, and share expert opinions, on the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, and the legal turns the case has taken since.

-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. vicky

Piers. Good interview. I have always questioned the assassination of President Kennedy and after the interview, I came to the conclusion that Jackie Kennedy's bodyguard knows facts, however he is been silenced. Murders of the same are common in America and the only way they can be stopped is if we stand up to it.

April 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gracie

Pierce,
      Since you are concerned of the why's to how Florida has handled this case, let me share a personal experience; When I had just moved to Florida a few years ago, I had just arrived so I needed a car. I happen to see a car on a dealer's lot and it was dusk and just seconds before it had started to get dark. As I, a Spanish female was checking the cars as one does here in California a man comes out, Caucasian and tells me to leave. I told him I was interested in the car and was just looking at it. He then started to shout that if I didn't leave immediately he would shoot me. I could not believe what he was saying and explained I was seriously shopping for a car and that in California one can walk on a lot at anytime. He then started to use profanity and told me that in Florida he could shoot and kill me if he wanted. I immediately left and to this day I cannot believe that incident happened. Needless to say I didn't last in Florida very long and returned to California. Florida has a problem with the right to bear arms vs. crossing the line to murder in cold blood. Personally that evening I realized that for that Floridian, he felt he had a right to kill, just because he felt like it. I felt that it was basically a lawful way to give him the right to linch.l

April 6, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Terry

I don't want to hear another word on th Trayvon Martin case until equal time is given to the case of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom. If you are not familiar with the case, look it up. It is disgusting and deserves so much more media attention than it got. But hardly anyone reported it because there was no "special interest group" that needed to use it as wedge issue.

April 10, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. LADY L

Pierce you are doing a Awesome job ! . .Please don't let ANYONE nor the naysayers discourage you.
    God Bless !

April 6, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Chester Napikoski

Almost everyone, including you, are missing the fundamental point. Mark Geragos gets close to it in his remarks. Isn't it for the jury to determine guilt or inocense, rather than the police department or attorney general or whoever? Shouldn't the perpetrator be held on "probably cause", then during the trial, the jury will determine if he is guilty or not? Why isn't anyone questioning the Florida authorities on this point? The media should be all over the authorities for this point, rather than continuing to just spin the race card.

April 6, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Wesley L Fray

Pierce,
    Stand your Ground, There has been a lot of talk about stand your ground in order to justify Zimmenmans claim. Listen, if you were walking on the side walk on your way to your home and someone began to follow you, you turned and saw that person would you feel uneasy and maybe threatened. The point is the kid had every right to stand his ground and get the jump on whoever was following him.

April 6, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kyle

so you're saying if someone is following me, and I feel concerned, I am allowed to "get the jump on them?" no, no you cannot attack someone for following you. Stand your ground doesn't have anything to do with this case. Zimmerman is claiming self defense, your right to self defense does not vanish b/c you are armed..... If you are walking down the street with a brand new AR-15 strapped to your back and someone attacks you, you may shoot, that's what weapons are for, neutralizing threats. According to most people posting, IF ZIMMERMAN WAS ATTACKED, IF, he should have put the weapon away and tried his luck at fist fighting.

April 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Glenda Adams

I would like to apologize for the way you were talked to by the black guy you had on your show. Sorry, I forgot his name, but maybe it was because I think he made a fool of himself by trying to downgrade you in your profession. Again I apoligize on his behalf for most black african americans. I think that you are suprier in your job by reporting true facts and digging hard to find out the truth. I think that you're doing a great job in trying to find out the truth about Trayvon Martin. You don't hold back on your thoughts on what you belive, and I thank you for that. Sincerely, Glenda Adams from Gastonia.

April 6, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Stefan Omansky

Shame on Piers Morgan: His shameless bias in his interviews on Trayvon Martin shattered his image in my eyes. He should be indebted to Toure's attacks for making him look more fair minded than he is. He came out of the gate convinced of George Zimmerman's guilt without knowing the facts, then as they emerge willfully distorting them. He insisted in interview with Zimmerman brother that in fact he does hear a racial slur implying his brother's denial of that is unreasonable! Now that the latest sound experts have come out that there was no racial slur where is Piers retraction or admission he insisted he heard what now apparently does not exist.
    Piers continues crying out HOW IS IT THAT GEORGE ZIMMERMAN KILLED WAS NOT ARRESTED! As Ted Nughent replied, Piers you knows very well that Zimmerman WAS ARRESTED! How irresponsible is it for Piers to feign ignorance of what arrest means – deprived of personal liberty of movement Piers shows the tape of Zimmerman handcuffed and taken into police custody. And still attempted to get by Ted sking the question that incites hatred and fomenting bias: WHY WAS GEORGE ZIMMERMAN NOT ARRESTED?
    Are there any standards on CNN? Has it has lost all its previous credibility? Anderson Cooper is no better perhaps worse.
    NOW they are all back pedaling their language which would be respectable if the station had the integrity to acknowledge the depravity of their original bias.
    The broadcasts are a permanent record of the low level of journalistic integrity CNN has sunk to. I used to like Piers but now see through that accent to the Sun's page 3 tabloid journalism.

April 6, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kyle

agreed, most every journalist covering this did an amateurish job... you forgot to mention piers insisted that during the video (in the police station), Zimmerman's appearance was unremarkable. Fast forward a couple of days; now, when enhanced, the back of his head is not right, it's raised in several places

April 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. WorldCares

In my state, one can have a licensed weapon. An individual has the right to use that weapon if someone is breaking into their home and is in the house. That would still be investigated. Someone shooting another individual outside of the home, there would be immediate arrest, with bond. If the person could not post bond, they would stay in jail and follow routine court proceedings.

April 6, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Hartal

Zimmerman has one eye witness with him on the bottom of Trayvon; that eye witness also has Zummerman as the one yelling for help. But the voice experts don't believe that Zimmerman was yelling. Another eye witness has Zimmerman on top. Trayvon's girlfriend is sure that Zimmerman attack Trayvon first. Another witness saw a tussle that she did not think justify anyone killing anyone. We certainly have Zimmerman undermining his own credibility, not telling the police initially that Trayvon had threatened his life but then adding that to his report the next day.

As someone says above, this is not for the police to sort out. This is a matter for the jury.

The police has no legal or moral authority to stand in the way of a proper trial.

Arrest Zimmerman and let his attorneys do their work. They seem to be standing on that one eye witness. Let's see if they can make him a credible witness. I have serious doubts!

April 6, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. WorldCares

When I first heard this story, my gut instinct told me something was not right. I'm waiting for his arrest to say something.

April 6, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ratib

What's interesting is that the Trayvon case isn't an anomaly. Every *day* hundreds of innocent Iraqis and Afghans are murdered because certain people (aka US Army) think it's their responsibility to police places that they have no jurisdiction over. US Armymen are allowed to move about freely after mass killings of unarmed civilians. Zimmerman is no different. He was only killing someone from a race below his. That's acceptable by American morals.

PS: My condolences towards the Martins.

April 6, 2012 at 5:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kyle

hey jerk, the US military is ran by civilians. It's kinda a fundamental tenement of the union.

April 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ratib

How does that change what I just said?

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dr. Rick Sjoquist

Piers,

I'm sure you concur wholeheartedly with Geragos' assessment of the situation as that is precisely the way you conducted your interrogation–er–interview with the defense lawyers for George Zimmerman. And then you had the temerity–or is it cheek on your side of the pond–to bemoan their conduct the next night. Now I realize you can't help but be a twit worthy of Monty Python fame, but do, dear sir, refrain from lecturing us Americans about how much more civilized the British legal system is.

April 6, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. steelerkaren

When you asked Michelle Bachman her views on gays, and then insisted she tell you, I lost a lot of respect for you. I mean why did she have to say anything she didn't want to say. I would have walked off too if I was here. But you're totally base off on this Trayvon Martin case. Why don't you read the facts before you start spouting off on things? There is one eye witness – - now we don't know how true the story is – - but he said Trayvon Martin attacked Zimmerman. Were you aware of that? You asked if someone doing Neighborhood Watch is allowed ot carry a gun. Yes, if they have a CCW permit. Garagos straightened you out on that one. Please, get your facts straight before you start verbally attacking people. And no one cares how things are done where you came from. Get over it!

April 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Cruiser

You're miissing a finer point. Zimmerman was arrested as seen in handcuffs. But was apparently not "booked".
    A lot of folks may have been involved in the decision making? At this initial level you have everyone from the
    patrolman through PD admin potentially involved. Then the prosecution..........

April 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. anne

I live in Austin, Texas. When a police officer shoots a suspect, the officer has their gun, cloths, and personal belongings taken into evidence immediately. Today within 24 hours a 30 year old black man was shot and killed after running from a traffic stop and fighting with the police officer, and a police officer was shot and killed in a Wal Mart answering a call for assistance with a drunk. The point being, that police officers are in constant danger and carry guns and are well trained to use guns under stress but still are required to submit to investigation especially if someone is killed. Mr. Zimmerman may have been a victim or not, but the entire justice system failed Trayvon Martin when even the most basic procedures for evidence gathering were ignored. A police department with such poor procedures should start cleaining house from the top.

April 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Lily

It amazes me how people that were not present on the killing, offer statements and give opinions about the case. Quite simple, the mother of the victim identified Trayvon voice, George is a racist, police wanna be coward that is nowhere to be found. The only one that can t not give his opinion of what happened that nifty, unfortunately is dead. Get real, arrest the guy, he is protected because his father is a judge? Give us a break, police even arrested Madoff.

April 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. John

If the killer is not arrested immediately after the incident, he or she may use self defense to buy time and have chance to escape before found guilty. Does law enforcement even know where is George Zimmerman now?

April 8, 2012 at 5:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. John

Before Florida make adjustment on this law and put Zimmerman on trial, I will not dare to visit Florida any more. Stand in Trayvon Martin's shoes, how can you not to feel someone following you in a dark, raining night is "up to no good"? You would not risk your safety or life to think this stalker might be doing so to protect the community! If you can shake the stalker, you most likely will fight for life!
    George Zimmerman is a psychical who feels he is empowered to stalking people who he perceived to be "up to no good"? Trayvon Martin's family should sue Sanford Police Department for allowing Zimmerman continue to make such reports after 47 calls and made Zimmerman feel that he has the right to stalking people in the manner he did to Trayvon Martin and resulted the death of Trayvon.

April 8, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Alex

He stalked Trayvon, was told by the police to leave him alone, he pursues him and gets out of his car and verbally assaults the boy until he reacts. Then Zimmerman shoots and kills this unarmed teenager. How can this be anything but criminal. If Zimmerman continued to pursue me and provoked me, I would probably have tried to punch him, too. He stalked Trayvon until he had the opportunity to kill him.

April 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply