Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 10th, 2012

Bubba Watson on allowing women to become members at Augusta National: "This day and age...I don't see any reason why it could hurt."

As his massive Masters victory tour continues, this evening Bubba Watson makes a stop at "Piers Morgan Tonight," sitting down for a candid and compelling face to face interview.

Less than 48 hours since unleashing an epic escape shot on Sunday's second playoff hole, and ultimately defeating Louis Oosthuizen to capture the tournament's famed "Green Jacket," the 33-year-old southpaw tees off on one of his sports most-controversial topics: whether women should be allowed to join Augusta National.

"This day and age, I think that, I don't see any reason why it could hurt," shares Watson. "But again, it's a club that has rules, that can do that. There's places that, there's rules made up, there's laws made up, that we can't do certain things."

Showing the competitive nature that likely helped the Floridian win this weekend, Watson quickly turns the table, and poses the question to the host:

"Wait, what was your words on this? Let me hear your great speech."

Morgan immediately comes out swinging:

"Oh, I think it's completely ridiculous," says Piers Morgan. "It's just like something out of the Dark Ages."

"I know who's not going to be a member," quips golf's newest hero. "You!"

Watch the clip as the 2012 Masters Tournament champ takes on the host in an in-studio putting contest.

-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Beth kirkpatrick

Bubba Watson is a refreshing sports' hero to be admired as much for his golf abilities, but more for his family beliefs and personal faith! We were so thrilled for his win! What a fantastic tournament! I hope to be there next year to watch and to see the next chapter for bubba!

April 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

I like Bubba, too. He's a character, and was not embarrassed by his emotions, which is always refreshing. I'm not sure, however, why we should commend him for his faith. Faith is personal, not for public consumption. Whether he's a god-fearing man or a roaring atheist should be irrelevant. What matters is how he treats others, how he handles himself on and off the course, and how he swings the club.

April 12, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • odk1

ABSOLUTELY.

April 12, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Terry

I understand that many people feel faith should only be personal, but many of us do not agree. I admire and appreciate a person who is willing to live out what he believes in public, regardless if others think he should keep it to himself.

April 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimigarrett

Happy to see him win.....his comments on women's membership is his "opinion". It's a private club therefore their decision to make.......let's .get over it and move on

April 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andrea

I am going to give this a try… more for my parents than me acaltuly – they need to cut down on expenses and also need a way to watch tv while traveling starting next year for their retirement. Of course, we will appreciate the savings too – can’t wait to make the phone call to the cable company and tell them to shove their bill where the sun doesn’t shine!

May 20, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Marv

The point is..... The one time tournament held on their property has nothing to do with the club itself. The club and the tournament is two completely different things. Funny how women have clubs and u don't see a bunch of men whining. Get over it people. Move on to something more important.................

April 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • chris

i would hardly call them two separate things. in fact for much of the year they course isn't that well kept and isn't that pretty. they spend mostly all of the resources getting the place pristine for the masters for a couple months a year. the masters and Augusta are about as synonymous as an event and a venue could possibly get.

April 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Marv

I like the part where Bubba tells Piers he won't be a member. Funny

April 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. rker321

I guess that the problem began when IBM who has been on the Board for long, has a CEO that happens to be a female, Yes, it is disturbing in this day and age, Most disturbing is Mr. Watson's answer. but what can you expect from a redneck from the Panhandle.

April 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • papakilo19er

Wow what a mature comment. This 'red-neck' as you refer to him, just WON Golf's MOST prestigous event, and it sounds to me like you're a bit jealous. By the way IDIOT, the Panhandle has some of the MOST beautiful and pristine beaches on the planet, and the reason why people like you come down here to vacation. Do us a favor and keep your sorry ass home, we dont' need you.

April 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • steve

papa, your pristine beaches carry the moniker "redneck riviera" ever wonder why??? you live in the dark ages, religious right wing under educated americans live amongst you. so until those facts change you will constantly be called out appropriately as a "redneck" sux for you.

April 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • playboy millionaire

Papa, I go there for vacation because on vacation I get drunk, objectify women and break things. In other words, I don't sh** where I eat. You would have to pay me to live down there full time. Papa, you are fat and poor.

April 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • hepdrip

Love the beaches there use to drive twice a year from Atlanta!

April 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duane St.Pete FL

hey metro man.....go get your nails done

April 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ZZZZ

@ rker321... Then Im sure you wont mind if random men join you for your next pelvic exam, or in the shower at the gym! It just wouldnt be fair to exclude men because of their genitalia

April 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • bijou

Comparing membership in a club to being present for a pelvic exam or shower is idiotic. Logic fail.

April 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimigarrett

Common sense .....a commodity rare indeed. Thank God for people like him.

April 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. John

What's the difference between this and Woman's Workout World? They don't allow men to join. Seems hypocritical to me. I don't see why men and woman can't both have a club without the other.

April 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bobbie

The difference is in the prestige. So men can't join a women's gym. Who cares, there's a better gym with better equipment and better looking women right next door. But when someone is not allowed in a club like Augusta for whatever reason, it's basically saying they are not good enough to have the prestige that comes with being a member of that club. That is what is not so nice about the exclusion of women.

April 12, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • JMB

You are 100% absolutely wrong.. It has nothing to do with "not being good enough".. It has everything to do with it solely being a men only club & not wanting women there.. period. Seriously, its their choice and their choice alone. Go find somewhere else to play OR, better yet, open your own women only only club.. I am sick and tired of things only being one way. Women can have 'women only' things, other races can have things solely for them but god forbid men want something only for themselves.. What a bunch if moronic, idiot, cry babies out there...

April 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CT

OK no more men's only or women's only sports.

Women would never make the cut in 99% of the sports.

April 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Matt Sand

There should be some traditions that are kept..this is one of them...Augusta doesnt want or need women there..its still a good ole boys place and thats a good thing.....

April 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cecil O'Brien

It is ALSO tradition at Augusta to offer the CEO of IBM a membership... so if you're basing it on tradition - they are violating one tradition – so why not the other - its been said before, I'll say it again... up until the 90s Augusta didn't allow black members... I hardly think that is a "tradition" anyone would champion today.

April 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • what'stheproblem?

IBM broke with tradition and allowed a female CEO...good for them. Could've stuck with a male CEO and avoided the problem...why does she have to stir the pot? They can continue the tradition if/when the next CEO is male.

April 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ctcookie

Be careful what you wish for. I am a woman and honestly don't understand the bid deal. Why? Because honestly...WHO CARES? Allowing women now benefits a few rich spoiled princesses who don't want to be told "no". What they don't take and extra 45 seconds to consider is that if you for this private club to allow women, we run the risk to loose all our rights to have women only establishments. Not only that...again...who cares??? I think most women have bigger problems to worry about like feeding our children and getting/keeping jobs then pandering to a few females who want to play golf.

April 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SV

I understand your point. But what bothers me is this: would this if they a "whites" only club? Do you think people will simply say "Who Cares" and let it go? If not, then is this not a double standard?

April 12, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. paula

they can't stand the heat

April 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ZZZZ

This is a private club! They can include or exclude anyone they want. You cant have it both ways. If this phony media blitz forces Augusta to Open their membership to Women, then I want to start a massive media campaign for Co-Ed Bathrooms, Locker Rooms, Showers... and why stop there... We can have co-ed Gyno visits and paps. We wouldnt want to exclude anyone now would we.

April 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SV

Are you implying that at Augusta men get their prostates checked in front of everyone? What does a woman's wellness visit have to do with a power brokering club membership???!!!

April 12, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Wayne

How many hundreds if not thousands of women-only clubs, organizations, gyms, etc. are there that raise no controversy? What's the problem here?

April 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SV

Curves is not a club for power brokers. But what I would like to see is powerful women get together and start their own "Augusta". Yes it will take decades and yes it will be very hard. But I dont want them to beg this club so that they can grow to become CEOs. Augusta could be the inspiration why women have to achieve success on their own.

April 12, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hope

I agree with you. Forget about Geneva. We have to reconcile with Sinhalese and Muslims beorfe power-sharing in Sri Lanka. I accept we have conflict among us but Indian made it worse in 1987 and now American making the situation lot more muddy.I will place my view soon. we are idiots chasing the mirage in intellectual Sahara desert.kind regards

May 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Steve WaffleCats

As they say, golf is a good walk spoiled.

April 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Susieq

Seems like the better question would be–when is the PGA going to move the Masters from Augusta to a club that is more open in its membership policies. It is unfair to pick on Augusta when the PGA is in practice supporting their policy.

April 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Never because the Masters is an invitational tournament held by Augusta National Golf Club, the PGA has no say. So not such a good question, Susie.

April 12, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nicholas Fogelson

The Masters is not a function of the PGA, or the actual organization you are referring to, The PGA Tour (which is not the same as the PGA)

The Masters is just an invitational tournament, on a technical level no different than any invitational that any small club might hold. This one just happens to be run Augusta National Golf Club and happens to invite the best players in the world.

April 12, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ComfortMultimedia

The only reason why we are still talking about this nonsense in 2012 is because the members of this club refuse to stand up...
    If every member decide not to renew their membership...
    If every member decided not to attend the Masters...
    Women will be allowed to join...
    Simple... Come on... Let us focus on something more important... Like feeding the hungry people in Africa... Shalom...

April 12, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. chang

Let the Ladies through the gate, 10 minutes in they'll be begging to get out....

April 12, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. miler4salem

No different than any private property...public trying to tell someone to let anyone on their property that wants to.

April 12, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. mmi16

Augusta National reminds me of the 'He-man Girl Haters Club' from the 'Our Gang' or 'Little Rascals' movies. Only difference is that those at Augusta National are supposed to be men, but they can only act like frightened little boys.

April 14, 2012 at 4:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. 什么样的保健枕头好

I think that is one of the such a lot vital information for me. And i'm happy studying your article. However should remark on few basic things, The website taste is ideal, the articles is actually excellent : D. Just right job, cheers

August 9, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. vino tinto

Someone necessarily lend a hand to make significantly articles I'd state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual put up incredible. Great task!

August 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Развлекательный сайт

hi!,I love your writing very much! percentage we keep up a correspondence more approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert on this house to unravel my problem. May be that's you! Looking forward to peer you.

August 10, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Open Source It Management

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I require a specialist on this space to solve my problem. May be that is you! Looking ahead to look you.

August 11, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. carpinteyroeje

Hello.
    Wow,Fantastic article,it's so helpful to me,and your blog is very good,I've learned a lot from your blog here,Keep on going,my friend,I will keep an eye on it,One more thing,thanks for your post!

May 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply