Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 12th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Robert Zimmerman Jr. on the second-degree murder charge of George Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin

On the announcement that George Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, Piers Morgan talked to Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr. about the family's reaction.

Zimmerman Jr. remarked that the family was "devastated" with the charge and "have been living a somewhat altered reality for quite some time. And we have had to prepare ourselves for an outcome such as this."

He also expressed concern over his family's and his brother's safety since Martin was killed:

"For my family's safety, that being the first and foremost consideration in all of this, for my safety, you know, for joining you via satellite and not disclosing where I am, having lived like that, there were no winners in this already. And the only silver lining in all of this is that my brother is safe."

During the interview, Piers revisited the last interview he did with Robert Zimmerman Jr. noting Zimmerman stated, "if he [George] was banged one more time, he wouldn't be, you know, wearing diapers for the rest of his life and being spoon-fed by his brother."

Piers pointed out the implausibility of George Zimmerman being "one blow away from death" as evidence by the video footage of him within two hours after the shooting, "walking around the police station perfectly OK."

Robert Zimmerman adamantly defended his account and explained the video footage as a "disconnect" between reality and a public that wanted "to see blood."

"This is a series of not just physical but psychological injuries that are happening to someone. With a person who's 6'3" sitting on their chest, using his entire body weight to cover the mouth and nose, the broken nose, of the person who is screaming out for their life."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as Robert Zimmerman Jr. talks openly about his brother's state of mind.
-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. usaj

If TM was covering GZ's mouth and nose with his hand how was GZ able to scream so loudly that the screams could be heard through a phone on a 911 call? For that matter, if TM had one hand over GZ's nose/mouth, how was TM able to bang GZ's head into the pavement? It would seem kind of hard to do with one hand, especially considereng GZ didn't seem to have much hair to grasp...

April 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tell the Truth, Zimmermans, You Pathetic Liars

Yeah...it's not possible because it's a fairy tale and a stupid lie.

April 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jean

Truth is not for us to judge. That's why we have a legal system. We should be proud that we live in a country where everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Forging ahead on emotion alone doesn't help Trayvon and it doesn't help anyone else either! I'd like to think we're capable of setting aside emotion for as long as it takes to discover the truth, and that we ALL want the truth.

April 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emma

I wondered if any one caught that as well, he claimed his brother mouth and throat was filled with blood from the broken nose but managed to yell for help and pretty hard to being pushing dowm on some ones face to cover thier mouth and at the same time bang thier head off the ground. With the evidence that has come out the family keeps appear with some excuse or liie, first the tapes and then when it was discovered Trayvon was on the phone, Zimmermans father goes on TV and says the girl is lying, then when he zimmerman is seen with no blood, they claim he was treated on site and cleaned up, one excuse or lie after another

April 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • marie

good point. I would like to know how big was the officer that gz attacked. If gz attacked an officer who showed his badge why wouldn't he try to man handle a teenager he thought was up to no good. to me this case is just a matter of common sense.

April 13, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mikki

Great point. Yet another hole in the swiss cheese of a story zimmerman has come up with. Sounds more like hollywood to me.

April 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Suzan T. Scholl

I don't have an opinion about who did what, but Pierce, would you be so adamant in your questioning about this case if you had an opportunity to see pictures of Trayvon Martin -not as a 12 year old- but as the seventeen year old he was the day he died? Just sayin'.

April 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • tbenjamin629

Perhaps someone will show the crime scene or coroner's photos. That might be the only way to see him the way he was "the day he died."

April 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Qpid

All you have to do is look at your relative that just turned 17 and imagine him going up against a 28 yr old man with a gun.

April 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • marie

fact: tm walking home unarmed minding his own business and commiting no crimes. There is nothing else to say.

April 13, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. lourdes longoria

I find it quite disturbing that none of the Zimmerman family ever have mentioned any remorse or compassion for their kin's victim and his family. All the Zimmermans say has been 'what if' and their distorted, imaginary injury to this George, no remorse, no sympathy toward Trayvon nor his family. What sort of people do they think they are, you better-than-thou-because-we're-judge-family? Y'all never deserve MY sympathy.

April 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tell the Truth, Zimmermans, You Pathetic Liars

I firmly believe the prosecutors need to delve into this families past & connections. They may be part of racist groups.

April 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jean

There's too much paranoia and prejudice out there already! Please don't feed it. By suggesting that the Zimmerman's are racist, you are profiling them just as you accuse George Zimmerman of profiling Trayvon.

April 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean

I beg to differ with you on this topic which many are latching onto. Last night on Piers Morgan when Robert Zimmerman was asked how his brother is doing, Robert said, "it weighs on hm heavily (the shooting of Trayvon). But, then he added that it would be up to his brother to personally speak about his feelings on the death of Trayvon. If you were having death threats constantly, as he has, you might neglect saying "I'm sorry" yourself. How can you say you're sorry that you protected yourself, if that happens to be the truth??? People that make plans to murder (like Charles Manson) are monsters. I don't believe for one minute that George Zimmerman is the monster certain others want to portray him as!

April 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Tbenjamin629

I believe the knowledge that he(GZ) may possibly spend the rest of his life in prison for murder, is what "weighs heavily on" him. But, we are both only speculating. We know GZ's father blames Obama, the NAACP & Natl Black Caucus, for either bringing attention or merely acknowledging the tragedy of this case. We know RZ's message to the Martin family was, he hopes "these people"(ie: the Martin's), don't result to violence, (like his own brother so often has), once he is acquitted.

And showing remorse for taking the life of an innocent teen would be the humane thing to do. The fact that no one in Zimmerman's family feels compelled to do so is, frankly, just shameful.

April 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Stedsmit

Jean,
        You really must be smoking something to think that was not a racist act. First, he describe Trayvon as being a black
        male, which in America he is considered a criminal first instead of male teenager. second, he followed this kids when he was instructed not to follow. Third, he was carrying a weapon which means he was seeking trouble when he left his house. Fourth, this guy went into hiding because he knows he was wrong in what he did and the Sandford police was just going to cover it up. Then Piers says that the charges are tough. I don't know what country you are from but hell, let that had been an African-American shot a hispanic or white male, he would have never let the police station and probably would have been held in jail without bail or any investigation. You tell me that 155 lb kid could make an over 200 lb man and beat him up with ice tea and skittles while talking to his girlfriend. Come on stop the bleedy lying.

April 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • mik2bet

Posted this before, I hit a dog – had to in order to avoid a wreck or kill myself. I was sick to my stomach that I hit that dog and it died. Have you ever had that occur? So if we can kill an animal unintentionally and feel regret, ho much more so if it is a human being. So you can pause and say "I am sorry" very easily. If my son kills someone unintentionally, I would tell the family that I believe my son is innocence but at the same time I am very sorry for your lost and I hope you can accept my sincere expression. If the family rejects, I would have done my part.

April 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Qpid

NO WAY is GZ showing remorse for killing Trayvon. He had the nerve to put the "long live George Zimmerman" picture from the black college violation on his site where he was raising money. That is the clear sign of a racist with no remorse.

April 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nayo

Suzan does it really make a difference if he was 12 or 16.1 years old? He was a child regardless. And he was laying in on RZ hard because some of the stuff Rob Z said in his last interview was just dumb. @Lourdes...I'm digusted that his family hasn't expressed any remorse or sorrow at the loss of Trayvon's life.

April 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Al

Mr. Zimmerman is someones child as well. It's not hard to fathom that Mr. Zimmerman had no idea that Mr. Martin was under age (being 6'3" and wearing a hoodie. We now know that Mr. Martin was a child, but I ask this: Would someones age matter to you if that someone was Big enough & Strong enough and willing enough to hurt you?

Personally I'd fear an attack more from a big underage person than a small old person. Regardless of who's camp we're in we should stick to facts and when they aren't available at the time @ least use common sense and put yourself in the shoes of each individual. Lets face it when you say child as many others have, you are trying to evoke an emotional response more than anything else. "Children" commit murder and are tried as adults all the time in this country, and rightfully so when they do know the ramifications of their acts.

April 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Tbenjamin629

That is why any rational adult, who is armed, would not voluntarily seek out a confrontation with the person they are reasonably in fear of. An adult, of average intelligence, would wait in the safety of their vehicle, for the authorities.

April 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Al

I can only speak for myself but, almost everything I do, I do armed. When I shop, when I go to a police station, when I go for a walk, when I observe others in public; I am legally armed. In general if you shouldn't be doing something armed, then you shouldn't be doing it period. Think about it.

You are basically saying that it's irrational to carry.

April 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • tbenjamin629

I'm not saying it is irrational for a person to carry their concealed weapon, in their normal daily functions. I don't personally feel the need to carry my firearm with me, but I can understand that others might.

I am saying it is irrational for a person, who is functioning in the capacity of being the "neighborhood watch captain", to go against ALL rules and guidelines for performing as such. The moment Zimmerman decided to exit his vehicle in pursuit of Trayvon, he became an armed aggressor. If GZ was "in fear" of Trayvon, why would any he, or any person of reasonable intelligence, put himself in a position where a confrontation would more than likely occur?

Zimmerman's basis for having the balls to pursue Trayvon, IMHO, stems directly from him being armed. If he hadn't had his gun, do you really think he would have ever gotten out of his car? A fool and a weapon should never be together.

April 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Al

You say it's rational to carry doing your normal daily tasks, then you admit that he normally functions in a neighborhood watch capacity and that he shouldn't of been carrying. ??

In all honesty, I don't want vigilante types to act on their instincts and go around shooting people that they feel just don't deserve to life. IMO If Mr. Zimmerman were that type of person, he wouldn't of had so much contact with authorities. I don't know the guy, and if facts do come to light that he is that sort of person, then I'll join the mob that wants him jailed.

This could've happened to you, me or anyone else that simply wants to be proactive to protect their community. Life experiences and environment play a big role in this type of case. I live in an area that has a higher than average amount of crime with a police force that is taxed and unavailable, and sometimes unless it's some type felony they won't respond, or don't respond timely. Some live in an area that isn't and just don't understand what people are going through in an area such as mine. It wouldn't be right for me to suggest to someone else how they should act or run their neighborhood watch as there are probably many differences that make it nonsensical. One size shoe doesn't fit all, especially when were talking about neighborhoods. In that sense that is why I believe schooling issues should stay local rather than become issues for the state and federal govts. What works for New York City doesn't necessarily work for small town Wyoming.

You appear to be a smart and conscientious person and I'd like to keep the dialog going.

April 12, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Qpid

I notice people on this "Everybody has a right to carry thing" so I guess every citizen needs to arm themselves!!! Let's get rid of the police and all take matters into our own hands!!! That is ridiculous!!! Anyone should have the right to having a weapon in their homes but not to carry on the streets unless your law enforcement. This is not the wild, wild west!!!! And even a police officer has to identify themselves so why didn't GZ as a neighborhood watchman? This hold thing was CLEARLY unavoidable and it's all the fault of the man with all the power in this situation, the adult, the criminal law major with the security background, the one who was told " WE DON'T NEED YOU TO FOLLOW HIM"!!!!!!!

April 12, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • marie

one wouldn't fear any attacks from tall underage persons because they don't go around stalking innocent people.

April 13, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Al

Marie: All I can say is WOW!

April 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • tbenjamin629

@ Al – I attempted to respond yesterday, but apparently it didn't go through. Maybe it rejects any post longer than 6 paragraphs. ;-)

Anyway, this is a test post.

April 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

Qpid : One is more likely to be assaulted on the street than in their home. You infer that one can just hide behind an officer or just flag one down before a thug can do his deed. This idea is naive at best. If you want to give a thug the sole decision on whether or not you or your loved ones live, so be it. Many have relied on law enforcement in hopes that the law will save their lives to their detriment. Sure they'll show up with some tape and chalk, but if you live in a big city even that could take hours. Btw if you weren't aware, law enforcement has no duty whatsoever to save your life. Scotus has ruled on it. You are you only hope. I wish you and yours good luck and good health.

April 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tell the Truth, Zimmermans, You Pathetic Liars

I can no longer listen to this coward speak for the cowardice of his monster brother.

April 12, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jean

Our brains are superior to animals because we can analyze and not just have knee-jerk reactions! To analyze, you must have all the facts, and you don't. It doesn't appear that you have any interest in truth, only revenge!

April 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Marlene

Really Pierce, you were behaving more like Nancy or Rush last night, Not good. What happened to innocent until proven guilt. The reality is that neither us the public or you don't know all the facts at this point. You seen to have bonded with the Martin family, which is fine but remember to have consideration for Zimmermans family as well. His brother behaved very well under your unrelenting and I believe unfair attack. News today is more entertainment than real journalism.

April 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jean

It's shows like this that make people distrust everything they see on the news. Nancy Grace and her gang (who I used to enjoy watching) are more sensational every day. Piers Morgan is just echoing all the other sensational "news" he's surrounded by. Creativity and intelligence don't play a part in what we're served as "news". We're left with raw emotion and upheaval in our society. No real solutions can be made on emotions alone!

April 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Al

I totally agree with you two. At the very least this is irresponsible journalism and at worst it is attempt to further vilify a citizen for a political agenda. It's one thing to report your opinion or position on a matter as opinion, but it is a complete different story to use supposition and call it fact.

MSM should have their day in court for their irresponsible "mission".

April 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leitrim

I sent a letter to CNN jsut the other day to voice my concern over the show-I used to watch to Pierce M because of teh diversity but he has run this florida case into the ground. This is the male component of Nancy Grace who rehashed everything over and over. For me I have quit watching at 9Pm due to the redundancy of the whole thing. Bring back Joy Behar!

April 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cat

Piers is POS for running the story into the ground and giving people like rapist and wife beater Mike Tyson a forum for his opinion on this matter. What a crock. As a woman the last thing i want to hear his Mike Tyson saying this guy should be shot. Mike Tyson needs to shut his pie hole.

April 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ross H.

Piers, thank for your very tough but respectful interview with Robert Zimmerman Jr. This unfortunate situation reflects deep undercurrents in US culture, and US gun culture in particular. A few years ago I watched "Bowling for Columbine" and noted that in the US a common and accepted reason for purchasing a firearm is "self defense". Another perspective on this is that in the US it is acceptable to purchase or own firearms for the purpose of killing people. Even though this may be a remote contingency in the gun owner's mind, the preparedness to do so is still there to some degree, either tucked deeply away or in other cases (pehaps Mr. Zimmerman) barely restrained. In Canada, where I live and where there are also many guns, "self defense" is not a culturally legitimate basis for firearm ownership (not to say that no Canadian gun owners harbour such ideas.) The cultural difference is clearly reflected in the fact that the US has 10 times the per capita level of gun deaths than Canada. And this cultural difference is starkly evidenced in the "Stand Your Ground" laws and in the very sad Trayvon Martin death. That, to me, is the real story here.

April 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cheryl

I'm totally outraged by Zimmerman's comments. He 's blaming the dead victim. His brother stalked Trayvon. Has the Zimmerman family send their condolences, expressed any compassion to the Martin family. I haven't heard that at all. All they keep saying it wasn't George's fault. He had the gun and he killed Trayvon in cold blood. You can't keep blaming Trayvon. The Zimmerman family should be ashamed of themselves

April 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. hello

the special prosecutor did it because she knows very well the riots etc that would occur if she didn't not necessarily because she feels he is guilty or that there is enough evidence. Maybe she wants to let the courts deal with it and let it be played out in public so that people are satisfied and so that the truth comes out for all to see

April 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ann

The prosecuter, Angela Corey, showed extreme bias when she met with and prayed with Travon Martin's parents. Did she pray with George Zimmerman's family?

April 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • tbenjamin629

She couldn't. They were in hiding, remember?

April 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Insearchofjustice

The prosecutor works for the victim! It is the JUDGE that must be unbiased! NOT the PROSECUTOR!

April 13, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Robert believes his brothers version of what occurred so he must be angry that the Trayvon family had painted his brother like a crazy racist who killed there son just because he's black. Than you have the black activists, the media crying racism and rallying people and misinforming the American people. Painting an ugly picture of Zimmerman and finding him guilty of a hate crime without knowing all the facts. Black activists giving out the supposed address of Zimmerman for what to say hello...no it was so that crazy lunatics can go and kill him. Its disgusting how the media doesn't address and question these black activists they always get away with everything. They never receive a backlash which frankly I think we should show all racist of ALL colors that their actions are unacceptable but lets face it people don't want to say anything against these black activists because they don't want to be labelled a racist but these black activist which I believe many are racists themselves need to be held accountable for their actions as well. One thing is to fight against the system in not doing its job properly and fighting against injustice but don't go on television, twitter etc. Call someone a racist, a cold blooded killer who only killed someone because of the color of their skin, hammer into us an old image of a young Trayvon, when we know the guy is over 6 feet tall and was a football player. (They say it was dark, raining, and Trayvon had a hoodie how is Zimmerman supposed to know he's 17 years old Frankly I don't care what race you are but if your over 6 feet tall, its dark outside and your wearing a hoodie its safe to say that most people would be scared and I think it has to do with not being able to see the face the unkown) It is irresponsible that the black activists and the media try to convince us that Zimmerman is evil and was out for blood without knowing ALL the FACTS.......I bet you that if Zimmermans version is the truth the media and black activists will drop this story and quickly move on to the next story. They won't apologize for ruining his life which they already did without knowing the FACTS. The media and black activists need to be held accountable there needs to be a major backlash against them. They should never have made this into a race issue, they should never have painted Zimmerman as a cold blooded killer, they should never ever be one-sided because nobody knows the FACTS. The black activist / media should have made this about the police and why they didn't make an arrest and if race was race a factor in no arrest being made that would have been the responsible thing to do the right thing to do ethically morally. Now even if Zimmerman is innocent the media/black activists have already made him into a monster and ruined his life forever I wonder if he is even going to get a fair trial it seems like the media/black activists have already sealed his fate the courts, police may now go against him in fear of an uproar etc (its not the first time an innocent man goes to jail.) I blame the black activists and the media for all of this mess for being irresponsible its disgusting to see how the media doesn't care about being responsible all they care about is being followers to popular opinions and looking like they care which they don't because if they did they would ACT professional, responsible after all we are dealing with real people this not not make believe Hollywood.

April 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ross H.

I believe that Piers at least, in his interview, mentioned the inflammatory reactions of some black activist group(s) and contrasted it and other such reactions with the calm and respectful behaviour of the Martin family.

As for the prosecutor, I understand that she has a strong reputation and will certainly be aware that she is there to enforce the law and nothing more or less – hysteria from both sides be damned. The issue here would seem to be whether Zimmerman "stood his ground" (legal, for better or worse) or in fact went in pursuit and ended up in an altercation resulting in shots and death (illegal).

April 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Dee

I believe the special prosecutor filed the charges under duress. She seemed to be very chummy today in court with O'Mara reminding him that he forgot to ask the judge to seal evidence! What was that about?

April 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emma

Ales, Trayvon's parents never claimed Zimmerman was a racist, they simply wanted to know why thier child died and why the police wasnt doing an investigation. The police released tapes that to most made it clear he profiled Trayvon because of his color.

April 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul-UK

Well said! You should be a news anchor, unlike these ratings chasing, one-sided, trouble stirring, irresponsible, and frankly dangerous anchors we have now.

April 15, 2012 at 5:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Color me green

A young man talking to his girlfriend, closer to his home is Dead. Zinnerman gun did not just go of and he was further from his home. Had Zinnerman been black and not half Jewish and killed a white Jewish boy talking to his girlfriend going home would you still feel the same ? Color me Green but not stupid.

April 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Lin Lee

Piers – why did you not jump all over this – When Robert Zimmerman said in one breath that his brother was losing consciousness (due to lack of air) so he shot the kid, and in the next breath that it was his brother screaming for help (right before he shot the kid) it did not add up.

April 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. bern h

Piers, How about a little outrage and coverage of this crime, or don't we give equal coverage to old white folks.http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/strait.asp

April 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Apathetic Apostle

Piers, I hope you get another interview because Robert is ruining his brothers defense. Let's look at the inconsistencies. In the first interview Robert said that Trayvon said something like "You are going to die tonight". Not only do we NOT hear that on the 911 call, in this last interview he is saying Trayvon had his hands on Georges mouth. Is he saying this while all that is going on? If Trayvon is sitting on Georges hands and chest, how does George get a gun out? Robert also said that he beluieves Trayvon told his girlfriend he was gonna walk slow so that he could sneak up on George. This means they are acknowledging that Trayvon was on the phone. So how do you sneak up on someone while talking on the phone? If Trayvon was walking away, and George loses sight and then walks back towards his truck, how does a "Slowly" walking Trayvon catch up to George? This isn't rocket science folks.

April 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. sounds like a lie

Ok so let me get this straight. TM was 6'3 in a hoodie, talking on the phone, armed with iced tea and skittles, snuck up on GZ, became the aggressor by sitting on GZ chest & hands, covering( GZ) his mouth, banging his head on the ground, and reaching for his gun,verbally threatened his(GZ) life, as he(GZ) yelled for help, in the rain. And TM's hands, just like GZ head showed no signs of trauma. All of this happened within 5-10 minutes. WOW. When paramedics apply first aid I did not know they gave you a sponge bath too. I thought they treated the wound I did not know that cleaning up the surrounding areas, and clothing, was part of their job description.

April 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Robert Sandberg

You STINK. Such potential. What a waste.

April 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Interested Canadian

With a brother like this, GZ won't need prosecutors to put him away! It's normal for a family to be supportive, but RZ's answers sounded like a very contrived fabrication. My "bullsh!t detector" was pegged, and I suspect Piers' was too.

April 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Another interested Canadian

Exactly. The brother just kept coming up with reasons, excuses. It sounded like him and his brother had gone through every scenario in order to come up with a reason.

It's rather scary to think that in the U.S. you never really know when someone is carrying a concealed weapon. How do Americans deal with that! It's just crazy. Anorther sign of the big decline.

April 16, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. mario

now watch piers kissing a romney's ring,,

April 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • No kissing please

No ring kissing Rommny is a looser.

April 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Joanne

Mr. Frank Taaffe, the friend of George Zimmerman, has made the rounds saying George did not follow Trayvon, citing the call to the dispatcher where he asks "are you following him? GZ: Yeah. We don't need you to do that. GZ: Okay (indicating to Taaffe he was not going to follow). BUT!! if you listen further on the SAME CALL, when they are discussing the housing complex, the dispatcher suggests GZ meets the officer at the mailboxes. GZ first says okay, but then says have him "call me and I will tell him where I'm at," indicating to me (and to you?) that he is not going to stay near the mailboxes and is going to follow Trayvon. Frank Taaffe is spinning the story and not the facts of the same call. I wish one of the hosts of the shows Mr. Taaffe is on would call him out on this particular point.

April 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Paul-UK

Piers. You of all people should be fully aware of the consequences if irresponsible reporting. Forget the viewer ratings and report in an unbiased, factual manner. The media hype, i.e editing 911 transcripts, continually using a 5 year old photo of TM and moody mug shot of GZ, and fanning the flames of a race related shooting, will no doubts lead to more deaths. There are two sides to this story, try reporting them and show the world that you are a professional, unbiased, diligent reporter. I suspect that when the full picture is finally revealed a lot of people in your industry will have blood on their hands. Don't be one of them. Again!

April 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Davei

Yes Paul you are correct, if anyone should be aware of misrepresenting the news, it should be good 'ol Piers, Bearing in mind his abject pathetic reporting of ALL the facts here it seems he has not changed that much, Remind me of why he left the Daily Mirror. Oh, I bet Private Eye is storing all these interviews, they just love Piers.

April 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Kyle

Piers why dont you use more accurate pictures of TM where he is full of tattoos, gold teeth and not 8 year old ones. Maybe report on his twitter name, his long rap sheet. You should report fully on both sides and not just worry about your ratings.

April 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Gerry

Piers,

Although I feel for the Martin family losing their son, I'd like to point out a few things that continue to be shown and talked about regarding this case. You always show pictures of Trayvon like he was just a little 12 or 14 year old boy yet he was 17. Even though he may not have been of huge stature, he was still tall but he probably wasn't all that heavy. At 17, I know my mother thought that I was just an angel but in fact, if anyone gave me the wrong look or would have been following me (as you seem to think Zimmerman did to Trayvon even after he was told he didn't have to anymore), I had no qualms about confronting them regardless of their age, race or size. It wasn't until the police came looking for me one day when I was in grade twelve that my parents found out that I could more than handle myself. I beat up two twenty-five year old guys very seriously with my bare hands just for teasing me/laughing at me for the clothing I was wearing when I walked by them at a bus stop about a mile away from home. Even after this arrest, I never backed down. If I thought, even without hearing anything, that something was being said about me, I was confrontational. Maybe Mr Martin had a little bit of that in him. Parents don't always know what goes on when they're not around or how their child thinks.

April 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Explorer

I thought your final question to RZ was masterful. Robert Zimmerman’s answer, on the other hand, was shocking in its complete lack of compassion for the Martin family. It left no doubt in my mind that George and Robert Zimmerman were value formed around the same dinner table. After speaking about family at length, Robert Zimmerman remained remarkably unwilling or unable to acknowledge the Martin family’s humanity. I can only paraphrase his response: yes, they’ve lost Trayvon, but we lost our privacy. There are no winners here. What I heard: How dare Trayvon Martin force my brother to kill him and unleash this firestorm upon our family? I hope this inconvenience ends soon!

April 14, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Davei

Explorer, the last I saw was that at this point Mr. Zimmerman is innocent. What exactly does he need to apologise for, defending himself. Once found guilty (if found guilty) by all means an apology will be in order, but at this time, he was defending himself from an individual who, from the evidence thus far, jumped him from behind........

April 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Robert is a liar change his story after voice analysis said its not GZ screaming

I personally believe GZ had that "gun in his hand when he approached TM", that's why that child was fighting and screaming for his life.. Who in there right mind (especially a white person) would approached a black person unless they felt safe (meaning he had his gun) to protect himself.... Now this loser brother Robert is trying to give him a alibi by saying TM had his hand over GZ mouth after a voice analysis said that it was not GZ screaming for help... and his brother would never lie to the family... heck people lie everyday what make GZ a saint... He KILLED THAT BOY for no reason....

April 15, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. viridis

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the remaining section :) I deal with such information a lot. I was looking for this particular information for a very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.

April 18, 2012 at 3:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. ReRa

You need to watch this: http://rollingout.com/culture/george-zimmerman-son-of-a-retired-judge-has-3-closed-arrests/

April 23, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Free FB Fans and Likes

Generally I don't learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

September 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Kredit trotz Schufa und Hartz 4

Hiya very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I'm happy to search out so many helpful information here in the publish, we'd like work out more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

September 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply