Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Need to Know News: Zimmerman's attorney to seek bail; Eerie calm in Syria as truce takes effect
April 12th, 2012

Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.

For April 12, 2012 – George Zimmerman's attorney to seek bail, eerie calm in Syria as truce takes effect and Whitney Houston's death probe closed as 911 call released...

George Zimmerman's attorney to seek bail: "The attorney for George Zimmerman plans to ask a judge as early as Thursday to allow the neighborhood watch volunteer charged with killing an unarmed, black teen to post bond - though he believes it will be difficult."

• Eerie calm in Syria as truce takes effect: "Guns fell silent in Syria Thursday after an early morning cease-fire took effect and cast an eerie calm over restive cities and towns that had been pounded by government forces in recent days."

• Shell spots 10-mile oil sheen in Gulf of Mexico: "Royal Dutch Shell says a sheen of oil, 10 square miles in size, has been spotted in the Gulf of Mexico. Shell said the sheen is one mile wide and ten miles long and is located in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, between its Mars and Ursa drilling platforms. The platforms are both located 130 miles southeast of New Orleans."

• Don't overlook this $6,000 tax credit: "Many of the people who could use a little extra money the most are missing out on a tax credit worth up to nearly $6,000. Aimed at helping the working poor, the Earned Income Tax Credit lifts millions of Americans out of poverty each year, yet one in five taxpayers eligible for the credit doesn't end up claiming this extra windfall."

Whitney Houston's death probe closed and 911 call released: "The police investigation of Whitney Houston's death is 'officially closed' with the conclusion that her death was an accidental drowning, the Beverly Hills Police Department said Wednesday. With the case closed, police released the recording of the 911 emergency call in which a hotel security officer said the woman who called for help from Houston's room was 'irate and pretty much out of it.'"

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Need To Know News
  1. Susan Connolly

Pierse Morgan show...

I love your show I watch it most nights and I watched it with great interest last night with Geroge Zimmmerman's brothre on.

I wished at thatt point that I was able to send you a tweer...but I didn't know how to.

if as Robert Zimmerman said that Treyvon Martin sat on George Ziimmerman's face after her supposedly broke it and it was bloody..........won't there be blood on Treyvon's Martins' pants front and back ....thank you for reading this post

Susan in Toronto

April 12, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Shirley in Mexico

Piers: most of the listeners do not want to know how you feel re. the U.S. law and England...
    also, I think you are going into an area of which you know little when you keep talking about Zimmerman and the
    shooting....as many lawyers and legal people are saying to all : "calm down, take a step back"
    I think you should go back to entertainment where you came from...you seem to understand that well...
    God Bless... (also, you interrupt constantly...sorry...you're not a very good listener, it appears)

April 12, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jon Mattoon

Piers,
    I usually enjoy your program and your cordial and friendly approach to interviews. Not so last nite! You were clearly biased and somewhat rude with Zimmerman's brother. You clearly set him up! Not a fair interview. You repeatedly cut him off mid-sentence and constantly interrupted him and confronted him with your "twitter feed", which he did not have the luxury of reviewing before you hit him with it. Not a class act ! I hope this does not become a habit of yours in the future.
    Jon Mattoon

April 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Get facts first

Robert Zimmerman's brother should have not been on air any more than the 2 air head lawyers. It's not Piers fault if the brother had this need to be seen publicly. He sure had nothing to say that would support his brother. Please remember, the gun was fired closer to Martains than Zinnerman's home. Google map and check please and you will see where 7/11 is where Martain was going and where he ended up DEAD. I bealive Martian's girlfriend story as there is a phone recordw when that call was made and how that called ended with a bang ! A guy who was up to no good would not have been chatting with his girlfriend. Zinnerman also had a police record before this killing. Why was this man issued a gun in the first place ? He was high risk and dagerious. The gun lobby and the gun shop are as much responsable for this killing as Zinnerman is. Charge them all.

April 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Debbie

Piers, it was obvious last night you were biased. You were acting so obnoxious I had to change the channel. I too normally love watching your show but you clearly have already convicted George Zimmerman. You were interrupting his brother so much I thought I was watching Bill O'Reilly.

April 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • : )

@ Debbie had your son been killed the way young Martin was by Zinnerman how would you be feeling? Go watch Bill O'Relly he has as much feeling I am sure as you. Robert Zinnerman should have declined to be intivewed he had not much to say. I feel sorry for Zinnerman as much as I feel sorry for the loss of young Martine, both are victims in difrent ways. Look what biggotery is doing in America? It has been dividing us.

April 12, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin J

Debbie, Piers asked the questions that needed to be asked. Zimmerman's brother should not have gone on the air for he had no new information to share. I am quite certain that his brother's legal team did not want to see him out there. Your opinion comes from your own bias. If Travon was your son I wonder how different your opinion would be on this interview. One other point - I hope that the police took pictures and weighed Mr Zimmerman on the night of the incident. He was almost unrecognizable today in court. He has lost so much weight (possibly intentionally) to take away the vision of the 100 pound weight differential between him and Treyvon. I do not think that this weight loss was purely accidental.

April 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Carolyn

Piers, You seem out of touch, disconnected and way out of your league. I strongly believe that if you do not get better or find subjects you know, CNN is going to get rid of you. And the truth is; I will not miss you. CNN needs to re-claim the 9PM hour. I get the feling you are taking advantage of the racial divide in America by acting as if you are clueless for the sole purpos of ratings. I will be taking a fast from your show.

Carollyn
    Toronto

April 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Tracy

Zimmerman should of not followed him once the dispatcher told him did nor need to do that therefore Zimmerman was the aggressor all he had to do is walk away or follow him to make sure he did not break the law

April 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. john mohammed

Thanks for George Zimmerman interview. One fact stands out in thet interview.There was evasion, total lack of remorse and hints of arrogance.....which, to an observant viewer like me, speaks volumes about the macho manliness and personality traits of zimmerman brothers. I also DID NOT like zimmermans dancing eyeballs in his first court appearance.

April 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply