Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 13th, 2012

Carole King on life in an abusive relationship: "The more shocking point...I stayed...and I married him"

Coming up this evening on "Piers Morgan Tonight," famed singer and songwriter Carole King sits down for a primetime exclusive interview.

The artist behind such classic #1 hits as "I Feel the Earth Move" and "It's Too Late," King is also the survivor of an abusive relationship, and tonight shares details of her third marriage, to Rick Evers:

"That is the point, that the line is or I would never be with someone like that, until I was," says the 70-year-old King. "But here’s the more shocking point, I suppose, it - to me it was shocking after the fact. I stayed. And I married him after I knew about this."

In 1971, King released her second solo album, entitled "Tapestry," which topped the U.S. chart for 15 straight weeks, selling 25 million copies worldwide. More than 40 years later, King has written her autobiography, "A Natural Woman: A Memoir," in which she opens up about the abuse, in hopes of inspiring others."

"The important thing to me was to write it, to be honest and to communicate to people out there that it’s - if you are someone who is in that situation, get help," she tells Piers Morgan. "Help is available."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as King discusses her life in music, and explains why she stayed with Evers even after the abuse.

-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Colleen

April 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. WorldCares

Deja Vu to Carole King. You reflected my life as well.
    I wore my POW bracelet which kept me sane, as a teenager, during the
    Vietnam War.
    I still have that bracelet and it is priceless to me.
    Tapestry brought a grounded calm.
    I, also homeschooled and , to this day have never used chemicals in my garden.
    I,also, dealt with male abuse from my husband, the biological sperm donor of my two sons .
    No woman should have to put up with that abuse.
    Times have changed.
    My concern is not only about women but the children.

April 14, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Annie

I loved seeing Carole King tonight. She is as beautiful as ever! I could have listened for another hour; what an amazing career and an amazing woman to match! And I'm looking forward to reading her book.

Piers, It might be a good idea to watch a few Oprah reruns and then, yours and compare...I'm not suggesting that you change styles, but simply ask good and fair questions, followed by your guest's own answer! A tweek or two might be in order! Great guest, anyway!

April 14, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. WorldCares

Correction:
    ex husband. Luckily, he was not around , but a few times, after my sons were 3 months and 14 months old.
    What a godsend that was.
    NO WOMAN OR CHILDREN SHOULD BE PUT IN A SITUATION TO WHERE THEY ARE BEING ABUSED,
    THERE IS HELP.

April 14, 2012 at 1:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mchan

I completely agree with Colleen's comments!
    "Piers Morgan interrupts Carole King and HE tells her story. He needs to review this portion of his show, and vow to improve his technique. It would be nice if he'd let the guest talk." REALLY!!!

I thought PMorgan was rude and disrespectful to Carole King.. I usually enjoy his interviews. But this time he did not allow his GUEST to finish answering his questions. He interrupted and kept cutting her off. This indicates that he was not really listening to her answers. Plus some of his questions were just lame. Ms King was charming and handled his bad manners like the class act that she is! He should apologize to Carole King and to his audience. So unprofessional! I could not watch the remainder of the program.

Yes–I agree with the suggestion that he should watch some Oprah interviews. Piers–you need to work on your manners and your interviewing technique!

April 14, 2012 at 6:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nnamdi

I want to join country

April 14, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Peter Conway

Tell Carol that I've been in love with her for 40 years. Wow.....she still has me.

April 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. John muema

Can't wait da hr, am watching da clock. What a guest? What a show! ...on da bench k24!

April 16, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. nada smith

LIke, Carole King says get help....When you are in an abusive relationship seeing the forest from the trees is very difficult.

May 12, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Garretc Mckainj

With every little thing that seems to be developing within this subject material, all your viewpoints are generally quite radical. Even so, I appologize, because I can not subscribe to your whole strategy, all be it refreshing none the less. It seems to everybody that your remarks are not completely validated and in fact you are generally yourself not thoroughly confident of the point. In any case I did enjoy looking at it.

July 11, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse | Reply