Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 20th, 2012

Only in America: Piers Morgan applauds Axl Rose

On Thursday, Piers Morgan used his "Only in America" segment to pull on his skin-tight leather pants, and come to the defense of Axl Rose.

Having seen Guns N' Roses perform live in 1991, the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host confessed to being a fan of the front man:

"He screeched, he strutted, he strummed and smashed his way through two hours of blistering Guns N' Roses musical fury," described Morgan. "And it was, without any doubt, the single most dangerous, exciting, stunning thing I've ever seen anybody do on any stage, ever."

More than 20 years since exploding on Morgan's senses, the singer continues to impress him as "the Chuck Norris of rock, a bad-ass renegade whose 'Appetite for Destruction' is as angry and authentic as it was 25 years ago."

In rejecting an invitation to be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Morgan concluded that Rose cemented his legacy:

"Axl reacted the way I assumed, and hoped, he would react. He shredded the invitation to pieces and threw it out of the hotel room along with the TV," Morgan explained. "Then he fired off a long and appropriately rambling open letter slamming the honor, refusing to accept it, and making it quite clear, that he even if hell froze over, he would have nothing to do with the Hall of Fame or a Guns N' Roses reunion."

Against critics citing Rose's refusal as disrespectful, Morgan applauds his authenticity:

"In an era where even Mick Jagger, of all people, accepted a knighthood from Her Majesty The Queen, thus conferring on himself the title of official Rock'n'Roll fuddy-duddy, thank god there's still one wild man out there prepared to fly the flag for real rockers."

Only in America, declares Morgan: "Tonight, I salute Axl Rose. You crazy, untamed, sublimely talented, outlaw of a man. And for everyone who disapproves of that, 'Welcome to the Jungle.'"
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Only in America
  1. Trubar

Finally one thing we agree on Pierce. Too bad youu can't follow his example and be "a bit" less politically correct in your interviews

April 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Gerald Bresett

Piers could not have said it better myself.Very truthful thought`s on Axl Rose.With all the BS going gong on about a reunion.This should totaly put this to rest.Go see the new lineup and be blown away.I love gnr music and have seen them live many times and the last experience was Nov 2011 Hamilton Ontario.I took a chance and went to the floor.
    WOW it was all I could do to hold off the crush of fans as I barely held my ground five rows dead center of the stage.
    Rose had this crowd about to explode at times.Got some once in a lifetime footage of the Best singer ever in ROCK.
    Thank you Piers for your guts to showcase this true great Rock legend.Get the man on for a chat.Thanks again

April 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Debbie

Well said Piers! Now all you need to do is see GnR now and have your mind blown away – Axl, DJ, Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy & Frank are absolutely awsome live!! Best GnR line-up ever!

April 21, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vickymartin martin

New I Pad so not used to using!
    Am tying to send PM an email re LIFE STORIES interviews in UK but can't find one!
    Woulld u know it?
    If yes would u send it to me please?!
    Gratefully. VM..

April 22, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rusdi

Nancy Kiuber / Saw this on CNN last night. So glad to see him supporting US made prcduots. More country artists should follow in his footsteps. Kudos to you Trace!!

May 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Wadad

Thank you Piers for having the courage to say the truth amid all the bad coverage on Axl Rose and his band. He is truly an extraordinary performer, and as Green Day front man put it "the best singer to ever hold a microphone". He was an unbelievable perfomer , and still is, and he had to fend off a lot of injustices thrown his way. His fans are totally behind him in any decision he makes !

May 12, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ashutosh

Actually the thing that scares me most is that the State of Nevada tkhins it's just fine for me to drive without my glasses! I only took them off before the vision test on a lark.

May 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Marx

That looks like a great book. After the dastardly faurlie of my two lonely tomato plants last year (well, the faurlie was really mine in forgetting to water them, but the end result was still dead plants) I am determined to raise a successful garden next year! Please add me to your drawing.

May 21, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Carmen Luna

I absolute love Axl Rose, he is an amazing artist and his band Gund N' Roses rocks, beforevand now,vibwishI could see them perform at least once in my life. Thanks Piers, I hope you could interview him someday soon. Cheers!

May 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Bubbly

Thanks Piers for having the BALLS to defend Axl - I am travelling and have limited access to what's going on in North America. However, now that I have come across all this news (to me), I have to say I SALUTE YOU Piers, well said and well done. Yes, Axl interview would be great, but not likely to happen - if or when it does, he should choose you to do the honours. Lots of Love & Peace.

June 29, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse | Reply