Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 25th, 2012

The Dalai Lama on The Arab Spring: "World belongs to humanity...each country, essentially belongs to their own people"

Coming up this evening on "Piers Morgan Tonight," the program welcomes His Holiness The Dalai Lama for an hourlong exclusive interview.

In Rochester, Minn. following his annual physical at the Mayo Clinic, His Holiness joins Piers Morgan for a revealing discussion on such all-encompassing subjects as politics and technology, religion and temptation.

Regarding recent Arab Spring uprisings through the Middle East, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader supports the opposition of virtual dictatorships:

"World belongs to humanity, not this leader, that leader or that king or prince or religious leader. World belongs to humanity," says The Dalai Lama. "And then each country, essentially belongs to their own people."

In the only interview he'll give as part of this current trip to the United States, His Holiness shares thoughts on the authenticity of public service:

"I don’t think generally politician come from democratic country. I think not that thinking. But sometimes little bit short-sighted. They are mainly looking for their next vote."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. for the complete sit down with a man Morgan calls "the most famous person I've ever interviewed."
-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Jennifer stewart Hayes

Dear Sir,
    Please ask the DALI LAMA what he thinks about yak butter. We had the great good fortune to go to Tibet apx. Three years ago. Fell in love with the people and the beauty, and the sense of timelessness . As well as the humor. However the yak butter sent in the temples is .... Potent. Thanks Jennifer stewart Hayes .

April 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. LORRAINE A. CRIMANDO

You were absolutely blessed to actually sit down with His Holiness, the Dalai Lama. I believe he is the greatest human being in the world. His Holiness' perceptions of right and wrong and his world views reduce this complicated world io simple terms of love, kindness, practicality and decency. His sense of humor is always uplifting and he is a simple joy to see and hear. Some years ago I saw and heard His Holiness speak in the Sheep's Meadow at Central Park. He addressed an audience of 10,000 'jaded' New Yorkers and, let me tell you, when His Holiness set foot on the stage it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. My memory of this incident was that His Holiness exudes an aura of peace and love and, when I left for home afterwards, I felt enormously lifted – purified somehow. Piers....you were truly privileged to have this time with the Dalai Lama. I truly envy you. He is beyond doubt the kindest man on earth. This was your best interview EVER!

April 25, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tenam

Thank you so much for inviting HH to your show! Imagine how much this act of yours bring solace and encouragement to the people of Tibet and her supporters in this very desperate time! Hats off to you Sir Piers Morgan!!!

April 25, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Louise B.

Well TYVM Piers for the interview of this year! How we are blessed to have you giving us the insight of this GREAT MAN! I was wondering if you could post in your site here the SEVEN quotes his Holiness gave to you! I would like to be able to print and copy them so I may pass them on to all I know who should read and understand their meanings!
    As you asked at the end , Yes I am feeling so much better by tuning in tonight to see this one of a kind interview!
    I am glad you are on this side of the pond now Piers, America is so lucky! I just hope they know what they have from a great Journalist like yourself!

April 25, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Canadian

Here are the seven points – but first I would like to mention my insight – that dear Piers, and his delightful British manners, was even interrupting the Dalai Lama. I guess he just can't help himself.

1. The practice of love can be expressed in one sentece: do not harm others.,
    2. The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred.
    3. The point of our existence is that as human beings, we live purposeful, meaningful lives.
    4. If we want spiritual development, the practice of patience is essential.
    5. We have the ability and the responsiblilty to choose whether our actions follow a vituous path or not.
    6. With inner strength or mental stability, we can endure all kinds of adversity.
    7. Love, compassion, and concern for others are real sources of happiness,

April 25, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marisa

Canadian, thank you so much for posting these. In many ways, I thought them the best part of the interview so came on the site looking for them and so far it seems you are the only one who posted them. Thank you so much!

April 26, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. rose macaskie

The dalai lama talked ot poverty and riches, and it is fair enough to remind everyone that nobility of character is as improtant as money, however, everyone is criticising riches recently and this criticism of riches seems to go hand in hand with the destruction of the welfare state.
    The west had an empire before their countries got truly rich, when their poor were horribly pooor, it was the introduction of ideas like that of the welfare state that made our countries rich, before the poor in europe were so poor that people in villages did not grow very tall, the old men in english villages when i was child were tiny, they were miserably poor, though their rullers owned the world and the only thing that has changed is that things like the vote and the wellfare state made the por less horribly poor not hta tthere are now rich who did nto used to exist.
    The right despise poor coutries where the poor are very poor and yet they want their countries to become like poor countries.
    The old question used to be that in the vey relgious countries there was appalling poverty because the relgious always ask for extreme humility that depresses the people and leads to the lord in his castle the beggar at his gate, god made them high and lowly and settled their estate, type situation, of the hymn all things bright and beautiful, a way of looking at things, of bowing to gods or buddhas will that takes the poverty of others as the will of god not the imcompetence of the rich and powerful, as if god saw the poverty of the beggar as the beggars rightfull situation rather than the fault of bad mangement even crookedness on the part of the rich.HOw people use Gogd to disguise their own injustice. That Budhism depressed the por was the criticism of buddhism and it remains valid but people have forgotten with the near demise of religions, the reasons that exist to see them as a negative force. rose macaskie madrid.

April 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • deborah nitsch

No disrespect, but I think that was the point. He said the humanity should be in control. Not human. Yet somethings have to hit the fan to get it straight. He also showed positive thinking. Exercise for the brain, emotion and body. Not to fear the truth, and not be led. I don't want to be angry over stupid anymore. Choose how you are going to make things better. Smile, and open a door. It spreads!

April 26, 2012 at 4:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jigme

great interview. great television. thanks piers. thanks CNN. enjoy every minute of it.

April 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ruth Eudy

Piers showed total disrespect by repeatedly interrupting His Holiness and not allowing him to finish his thoughts. Piers needs a lesson in cultural sensitivity.

April 26, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Neema

Aamen!, he was bit of interrupting. And he was asking "Do you do drug?". I am not sure if CNN would ask this question to Dalai Lama.

April 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Robert Dawson

What does His Holiness have to say about China's intervention some 10 years ago in the selection of the next Dali Lama?

April 26, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jonathan Phan

You got to sit with the Dalai Lama, and gave the worst interview ever. Never heard of Piers M. until now, at least I know if I see your show again, ill know to go to the next channel.

April 26, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Tom McCaffrey

I thought Piers' interview with the Dali Lama was just about THE BEST television I've seen in a while...Thank you for truly listening to your interviewee and not just simply reading a list of prepared questions as many seem to do. That was very, very good...

April 26, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Tom McCaffrey

Obviously I meant Dalai not Dali...my apologies.

April 26, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. WorldCares

One hour was not enough This interview should have been scheduled for a two or three days., or one week.
    When he spoke of the unity of the world, you cut him off for a commericial He had more to say..
    You cut him off on many subjects.
    How rare to see him interviewed again.
    One hour was not enough.

April 26, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tyler

I agree with you 100 per cent, one hour is not nearly enough for the issue of China's occupation on TIbet to be discussed and his view points and motivations to be truly understood. China passed a law in 2007 such that the next Dalai Lama will have to be approved by them. I personally don't think they will be approving someone as outspoken as the current one is. One Chinese activist said on the subject, that once his voice is gone, there will not be an Tibetan issue. His voice needs to be heard, and what he want's, autonomy, not independence needs to be understood with the same passion as was the message of Kony 2012! Not to mention his messages and teachings regarding the Buddhist faith, that's an obvious given.

April 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Bod Rangzen

It was truly informative and entertaining. Thank you. May the Dalai Lama see a free and Independent Tibet during his lifetime. Please do more of such interviews in the future.

April 26, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. deborah nitsch

Such a great interview! It shows the power of positive, laughter and just basic real/honesty/truth!
    Luv this! I will view this over and over again! Thank you for this!

April 26, 2012 at 4:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. deborah nitsch

Funny thing is, I never saw people get this upset about the Kardashians being interviewed! Now it is wrong to listen to a positve person? I'm glad I paid attention tonight. I will read more. About history, religion and oh yea...the reality trend! To each their own.

April 26, 2012 at 4:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. www.unnamedstory.com

April 26, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Anna

Thank you for the great interview. I and my friends will follow on Twitter now. This is first time i watched your show and i like your sense of humor.

April 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Erica

I enjoyed yesterday's Interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Thank you

April 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Erica

I enjoyed yesterday's Interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

April 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Guest

Thank you so much. It was a very uplifting interview. Piers Morgan you did a very job though it's my first time watching your show. The most interesting thing is he talked about meeting a friend on one occasion with his wife and the next occasion with different wife though ( he has a kid with ex-wife) and another occasion with a new wife. He stressed the children's suffers the most!
    I was fortunate to attend one of his talks on the mothers day. He talk about important of mother- children's relationship and showering affections to the kids. At the end he talked about his same friend with different wife on different occasion.
    He said, if you are single you can marry as much as you like. But if there is kids involve then it's a different story. You have to think about the kids who suffers most. It stuck with me. I was at the time thinking of leaving my husband. we have 2 beautiful children. I was not happy with him and so wanted to get away. When the Dalai Lama talked about this issue. I thought he was talking to me..advising me to think about the childrens. I cried. I started to look my husband in a new way with love and it brought a great change in our relationship. I can say that I'm in a happy relationship and I admire my husband who is great dad too.

April 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Fernanda

Piers, I would love to see an interview with Ravi Zacharias talking about the only Holy... GOD and about a REAL GREAT MAN... JESUS. Thanks!

May 6, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Andrew

The Dalai Lama’s long-cherished dream for independence has been seen even by foreign politicians. J. Stapleton Roy, former U.S. Ambassador to China, said in the Human Rights Situation of the Tibetan People on Oct. 14 1987 that “the Administration disavows any support for the Dalai Lama’s five-point program”, as “neither the United States nor any other member of the United Nations recognizes or has ever recognized Tibet as a sovereign state independent of China”.

But the Dalai Lama continued his association with some western countries and criticized China and development in Tibet.

May 14, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Xhemajl

Meade Sperry at Shambhala Sun Space brings us the news that beeetwn all the news about Woods and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, searches for buddhist' were among the top 10 on Google Trends

July 31, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse | Reply