Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 26th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: The Dalai Lama on China, Tibet, and withstanding temptation

On Wednesday, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed His Holiness The Dalai Lama for an hourlong exclusive interview, touching upon such topics as religion, politics, and temptation.

Joining Piers Morgan in Rochester, Minn. following his annual physical at the Mayo Clinic, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader detailed his feelings on the relationship between Tibet, and an ever-powerful China:

"Number of Chinese also now showing their genuine, sort of this sense of solidarity with us," explained The Dalai Lama. "And the world, every - many parts of the world, at least who know something about Tibet, they watch its current situation, I think very, very sort of sympathetic, sort of - they have very much concern."

A Nobel Peace Prize winner, His Holiness was also in the the U.S. for the 12th World Summit of Nobel Laureates, and as the wide-ranging sit down continued, Morgan broached the issue of celibacy, asking his guest:

"Do you ever feel temptation when you see a woman?"

Answering in the affirmative, The Dalai Lama offered further explanation:

"Even my dream, this is some sort of - dreaming, some women like that."

However, even while asleep, The Dalai Lama curbs his temptation, never losing sight of who he is:

"Image of the eye - I am monk. I never dreamt, in my dream, I'm Dalai Lama. I always remember, I am monk, always monk."

Watch the clips, and listen to the conversation, for more remarkable and fascinating insight from a man Morgan calls "the most famous person I've ever interviewed."
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Hannah Drossner

Your interview with the Dalai Lama was the most uplifting and enthralling hour I have spent in too much time. It is heartening to know that so much goodness exists in this world. I think he enjoyed you as much as you enjoyed him. Thank you.

April 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Susan Bowman

I really enjoyed the interview with the Dalai Lama. It was respectful, informative, sometimes humorous and showed a truly enchanting and inspiring figure in today' s world. I hope you replay the interview this weekend as I have told many friends about what a great job you did and they would love to see it. Thank you again for bringing this remarkable person into our homes.

April 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jane

Good interview with the Dalai Lama last night. I kept waiting for you to ask him if he could make you
    "one with the lot".

April 27, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tawu Gelek

Can you please replay the interview, lots of my friends have missed it...

April 27, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sonam Wangmo

Could you please reply the interview.

April 27, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AKANG

Have you ever thought about innludicg a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But think about if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, pop ! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this blog could certainly be one of the greatest in its niche. Amazing blog!

May 21, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Richard McNeill

You've interviewed hundreds of people of all rank with aplomb, but the Dalai Lama seems to have had you blushing and uncertain about how to respond to his remarks, such as the ones about liking your accent and George Bush's character. I've heard that he has that affect on people. Can you describe his impact on you when you came face-to-face?

April 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Gary

Peirs, the interview with the Dalai Lama was very good. I especially liked the point when he said he admired GW Bush and you squirmed. Why did you squirm? You couldn't understand it? Why? Remember, ideology can blind people.

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mike

Your western interview style, type of questions, and the way you interrupted the Dalai Lama was not appropriate from many people's point of view, especially Asians. You tried but were not successful handling the Dalai Lama's position, his level of English, and extracting information and insight that would have really benefited your viewers, especially those in the US. Asking him about if he ever watches movies, cell phones, etc., were all a big waste of time when you are interviewing one of the most spiritual and respected people in the world for an hour. I wish you had really taken advantage and really maximized the opportunity you had with the Dalai Lama. I would guess you probably got about 50% at most of what was potentially possible from such a enlightened person.

April 30, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kpachoe

I totally agree. Really.... asking if he knows the guy from american idol .. simon.. something.. whta a waste of time.. you could have had so much imposrtant ans intrestin questions!!!!

May 1, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Surendra

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read somheting like this before. So nice to seek out any individual with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is somheting that is wanted on the web, someone with a little bit originality. helpful job for bringing somheting new to the internet!

June 28, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Marcus

There are some attention-grabbing deladines on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There's some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

June 30, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jane

I have noticed that Piers Morgan often interrupts his interview guests, but when he held his finger up in the face of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I was shocked. It's one thing if you interrupt a guest like Tatum O'Neill or Jesse James or Rick Santorum, but it's HIS HOLINESS THE DALAI LAMA! Would you hold your finger up in the face of Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King, Jr or Mother Teresa? This was an hour long interview with one of the most important spiritual and political leaders of our time. Was it really necessary to spend 15 minutes asking him if he writes his own tweets or if he's ever watched American Idol? It looked like HH was going to talk near the end of the interview about his work on cultivating religious tolerance in the world, his escape from Tibet in 1959 and other important historical moments in his life, but too bad time ran out because he was busy answering questions about does he know who Simon Cowell is and has he ever seen "An Officer and a Gentleman." How about a couple of follow up questions about what is Nelson Mandela like? Is it ever difficult to remain non-violent in the face of everything that you see happening to Tibet? And what about the thing HH said about changing centuries old Tibetan tradition, decoupling the seat of spiritual and political power? I would have loved to hear more about that. What a missed opportunity to know more and hear more from this beloved spiritual leader and important role model for non-violent reconciliation.

April 30, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tenzin

Hi Jane
      You are absolutly right. What a waste of opportunity from Piers Morgan.
      Common Piers – are serious about pointing finger? Have you heard anyone pointing finger to Queen?

April 30, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Tibetan Photo Project, Joe

Its ok with me if the media treat guests equally after all it is not their job to be an advocate for anyone's position or station in life. My own view is that Mr. Morgan's performance as an interviewer was weak and ill prepared. (More on that in my comment here on this page). The misses opportunity here is in the quality of the questions and discussion and not the management of it.

April 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • urgyen

Hey there joe..

You have to wake up from dream world. If u think there is equality in the world.

April 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Frank

I and also my pals happened to be lkoiong through the nice guidelines from your web page then all of a sudden developed a terrible feeling I never expressed respect to the site owner for them. All the young boys appeared to be consequently very interested to learn them and now have in actuality been enjoying them. I appreciate you for indeed being so kind and then for deciding on variety of wonderful themes millions of individuals are really desirous to discover. Our sincere regret for not saying thanks to sooner.

May 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • urgyen

I am happy that i get to see HIS HOLINESS THE DALAI LAMA interview.I m not happy the way he kept interrupting and pointing fingers. But the question he asked about woman that really got me enraged. that is very disrespectful..
      Why not ask the same question to great POPE JOHN PAUL when he was alive.. It wouldnt be very good.

April 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tibetan Photo Project, Joe

For the most part, general media people who interview the Dalai Lama seem to do very little homework. Ann Curry really messed up her lead-in to her own interview and Piers, while respectful, seemed to be short on any real insight. So many of the questions were so cliche. The discussion on celibacy reminded me of a presentation we gave to a Jr. High school. But if there was a real weakness, it was simply evident in the lack of preparation. What could have been a great discussion was simply the reading of an assigned batch of questions. I remember seeing a piece on Walter Cronkite and it pointed out how involved he was with the fact checking and gathering. So many of Today's reporters seem to only care about their hair light and paycheck with little attention to the substance of the material they present. Still, having said all that, better to have it on our televisions than not, but it sure could have been done better.

April 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Shell

I would like to congratulate the Dalai Lama on being the first and only person that Piers Morgan has not attacked when interviewing them. He usually asks a question and then moves in for the kill, not giving the person interviewed even a few seconds to answer what was asked. He is opinionated, biased to an unbelievable degree on many issues and brother does it show. No real reporter here. No objective reporting. What he can't accomplish by being overbearing, rude, loud and generally obtuse, he will do so with manipulation.This was my last time to watch his show. My friends all ask me why I ever did. He definitely has some anger issues. Hope he gets the helo he truly needs.

May 1, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sophie

You can definitely see your esuntsiahm within the paintings you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart. The point of quotations is that one can use another's words to be insulting. by Amanda Cross.

June 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. namgyal rangkor

You have disgraced Larry King. He had class, a standard while interviewing. You were so cheap while interviewing Dalai lama. Are you trying to be funny or trying to ashame Dalai lama of asking all those silly questions. I am really disapointed with you. You very badly hurt my feeling and of many others.

May 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Gwen

Great interview! Hope you will run it again...or better yet, have a Dalai Lama sequel. I liked the question, does the world seem like a more peaceful place now? I would have liked to hear about his travels, all the places he has spoken and different people he has met etc. Also, how he feels about the spread of Buddhism in the west and in the world. When his holiness was talking on important issues, he seemed to need more time to give complete answers. People REALLY want to hear his answers on bring peace to the heart and peace to the world.

May 4, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Prema Deshmukh

I really enjoyed Piers Morgan's interview with Dalai Lama. It was light, educational, spiritual and current. I could have sat for another hour listening to Dalai Lama's thinking and beliefs which are inspirational and bring peace to your mind and soul. I also liked that Piers Morgan didn't take a scheduled break one time when Dalai Lama was expanding his thoughts. I hope you will run this interview again. Best wishes

May 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply