Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 26th, 2012

Marilu Henner on her remarkable memory: "It's like all of a sudden, everything starts flooding back for me"

Coming up this evening on "Piers Morgan Tonight," the program welcomes actress and author Marilu Henner for a fascinating and entertaining interview, covering everything from her time on "Taxi," to her remarkable memory.

Having the condition Hyperthymesia – also called Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory (HSAM) – Henner is able to recall specific details, and specific events, from nearly every day of her life.

Upon learning of this skill, Piers Morgan immediately put his guest to the test:

"I find this gripping," declared the host. "If I was to say what did you do on August the 16th, 1977..."

"I was just flying back from Las Vegas. My boyfriend at the time – Lloyd Allen – was performing there, in Vegas, at the Aladdin Hotel," Henner remembers. "That was a Tuesday, and I heard on the radio, that Elvis Presley had died."

Seeing the identical information on his trusty blue interview card, Morgan is duly impressed:

"My God!," he exclaims. "It's shocking to me that you can remember Elvis died that day...the fact that you remember your day, is even more extraordinary."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as the author of a new book – Total Memory Makeover: Uncover Your Past, Take Charge of Your Future – further showcases her powerful memory, and details the ways in which she uses it to help others.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. klamuse

Piers M. never fails to break in when a guest like Henner is describing something very interesting, like her unusual memory. Usually I just put up with Piers constantly interrupting his guests, but when he occasionally has a guest like Henner saying something really interesting, he won't let them finish even their most interesting sentences!. It drives me crazy. Is this something he can stop, because it's the biggest most irritating negative on his show.

April 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Marcus

That's an amazing talent. I can't even remember what I did yesterday.

April 27, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Paul

Interesting that Marilu Henner guested on the TV show Unforgettable recently. The show is about a female detective police who has HSAM and uses it to help solve crimes.

April 27, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vatoloke

I wonder if she remembers that night we spent in Rio?

April 27, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jackie

what date and time is Marilu Henner on?

April 27, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bubba

I remember her well in Taxi.. At the time I had little interest in her memory! 😉

She is still a fine looking woman!

April 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Criminy

I am sitting here giving thanks because I never knew why I can remember what I did on any given date... even so many years ago. I have always felt there was some trap inside me, and I thought it meant I was sick... that a person was supposed to live for today. The past is the past. Leave it in the past. So, when I always remember the past... every moment... and how I felt and what I did, I felt guilty and odd. Now I know there is a name for it, and I may seek to find out more about this phenomena that has affected me. My friends are always amazed at my memory. Now I know why!!! Thank you, Marilu Henner. You have made my life better! (Not you, Piers Morgan. I remember the first time I truly disliked you!)

April 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

Hi Criminy,
      I might be able to help you learn more about your condition if you are interested. I have the contact info of the research team that works with people that have hyperthymesia– Ultra superior memory.
      Best regards,
      Bob

April 28, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Aabhishek

I don't know whether it would be relaly awesome to remember everything in your entire life or just relaly haunting. It may be the worst thing in the world. However, I don't know if you can relaly forget all the relaly terrible things that would happen to you. Would your brain just get filled like a hard drive on a computer? Do they have limits? Is that when they die? When they have no more room to give?

May 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sylfia

The irony is that Taxi was canceled just at the theoshrld of NBC's Thursday night lineup becoming a ratings powerhouse. Had the show survived for a couple more seasons it almost surely would have gotten a big bump from having The Cosby Show , Family Ties , and Cheers ahead of it.

May 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply