Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 1st, 2012

Jonah Goldberg on The Piers Morgan Interview: "You pried it out of me...begged me for an answer...you're cross examining me"

On Monday evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed conservative columnist and author Jonah Goldberg to the program for a fiery discussion on politics, and foreign policy.

On the heels of Barack Obama's recently released campaign advertisement, Piers Morgan reviewed using the strike on Osama bin Laden for political gain:

"Are you telling me with a straight face again that Mitt Romney wouldn't have capitalized on that if he had taken out Osama bin Laden?" asked the host.

"First of all, your characterization of what Mitt Romney said, I think, is off," declared the guest. "Mitt Romney was talking about fighting the war on terror in the context of fighting one, coming after one man...He wasn't spending all of this money. That's not what Barack Obama did when he got Osama bin Laden. It was a pretty cheap operation."

At Morgan's urging, Goldberg estimated the cost of the mission to be in the neighborhood of $50 million.

"Wow! That's cheap in the Republican world?" responded the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host. "No wonder the country got into the mess it did."

Upon the insinuation that his flippant figure was precisely the type of cliched ideology he references in his newest book, Goldberg defended his response:

"You pried it out of me. You begged me for answer."

Goldberg characterized the sit down differently: "You're cross-examining me. You're not interviewing."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview/cross-examination, as the host and author trade contentious commentary on the backdrop of the current campaign, and upcoming election.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Job

By far the best interview by any journalist or TV person. Those politicians or supporters of politicians who come on TV for propaganda and personal destruction of those they disagree with must be confronted by the truth, the reality, and push to explain their lies.
    Well done job Piers.

May 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • B, O'Connor

I totally agree. I just loved watching Goldberg squirm. Piers is THE ONLY journalist who has been willing to really give it to GOP types who just can't stand that Bin Laden was killed on Obama's watch. Had it happened while a Republican was a in power, of course Romney would be using it as a 'bragging point' in this election. I am really sick of all the feigned moral outrage the Republicans have spewed about Obama questioning whether Romney would have gone after Bin Laden. He based that comment on Romney's own words and lets face it, there were no limits to what Romney was willing to say about his fellow GOP running mates during the campaign. He is a hypocrite (as are his supporters) for trying to make it seem like they are above using the same tactics Obama is using.

May 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Clark Gable

Piers Morgan said Obama authorized the mission "to capture, and if necessary, to kill Osama bin Laden." False. It waw an assassination mission. No attempt was made to capture bin Laden. Obama himself said he launched a mission "to kill Osama bin Laden." Why is Piers Morgan trying to be Obama's PR man?

May 2, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
      • sayitstr8r

the GOP goobers are fake americans – no doubt – why? because they do not care about american people, only about GOP power. they manipulate the media they say they hate; they vote against the people over and over; they are clearly against women's democratic rights and equality; they are hawks and want to send other's children to war; they stoop to feigned americanism by appealing to the far right evangelicals and racists. If I had time, I'd cite every claim. I have never seen such anti-americanism as this current GOP. Shame shame shame.

June 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Katherine

Clark - I don't remember OBL trying to "capture" the Americans in the WTC, had Bush authorized the hit you'd be cheering him as tough on terrorism. Obama got him... deal with it.

June 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • eastcoastbob

He "squirmed" because morgan continually asks less than intelligent questions and is completely clueless about how to have an adult debate. Did piers go after the obama folks about the various failures like solyndra?? The answer is NO.

July 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah Drossner

Jonah Goldberg is a whale who simply wants to espouse the Romney line and bristles when he's challenged. When they use the term "talking heads," they had Goldberg in mind. Please don't waste our time with these inane mouthpieces. I hate to turn your program off.

August 3, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • SCBAMA

Wow. You think Piers is a journalist. Try tabloid host.

May 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Paul

Actually by far the worst interview I've ever seen. Whatever happened to the concept of interviewers being impartial? Pier's did exactly what Jonah said. Indeed the entire interview reminded me of an old Monty Pyton about the guy who wanted to buy an argument. Even when Jonah answered the question Piers asked, Piers said "no you didn't".

May 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

Nonsense, Piers is a fair-minded man who can't stand listening to the crap that comes out of people's mouth. Too often people use a TV show as a forum for spouting their biased views (e.g. George Zimmerman's brother, Robert) and the journalist just lets them rant. I applaud Piers for taking Goldberg to task. Republicans just have to get over the fact that Bin Laden was killed on Obama's watch. President Bush had 8 years to accomplish this and failed. One more reason why Obama should be re-elected.

May 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Paul

Jonah, and most Republicans, repeatedly give Obama credit for getting Bin Laden. It appears Piers wasn't listening as a number of other posters have also pointed out.

May 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Robert Theleen

The "interview" with Mr. Goldberg looked more like a verbal water-boarding. Mr.Morgan is another attack dog, no different from those on Fox News. The extremes of American political culture are sadly reflected in this low-brow, 'Hooray Harry' Brit carpet bagger who was very fortunate to be one step ahead of the Britiish Government enquiry into the corrupt phone hacking scandal of which Mr. Morgan was a part. I enjoy the fact that his ratings has dropped 14% this month and, hopefully, this will continue.

May 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gar Taylor

Morgan is destined to follow Keith O into media oblivion. Embarassing, for PM, interview. he would not let JG respond. Kept interrupting. Asshat. CNN is swirling in the bowl

May 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • robert

Beth, what precisely came out of Jonah's mouth that was crap? For that matter, what came out of his mouth that was even a complete thought? Piers' method seems to be Ask question – Allow 75% of an answer – Interrupt with another (possibly related) question – Continue till time is up. Certainly there were little things Jonah was able to answer, but his big points were interrupted every time, before they were able to have an impact on the audience. And forget a decent look at what the book was even about, which was why Jonah was there. Certainly you can agree that anyone can throw out rapid-fire questions, without having to know what they are talking about. This is all Piers did. Combined with his claim that he's unbiased, he ended up proving Jonah's point (liberals rarely admit their bias) without even knowing he was doing it. Clearly he made himself out to be biased, and this seems to me a win for Jonah's point...though I still don't know what his book is about, thank you Piers.

May 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • parks1

Beth,

You cannot truly believe that interview was impartial or executed as a interview rather than a cross-examination with the goal of "catching" the interviewee.

If...and this seems implausible...you believe that, your intellect is limited. That is the scarier part of some who want Obama again. No good reason why...just low attention spans and headstrong...."he is cool" views.

August 15, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Bebe

I agree , and I might add that I have not often supported Mr. Goldberg in any of his views .
      It clearly showed Piers Morgans shortcomings as a professional journalist , but rather the gutter gossip writer for british tabloids ,that he used to be.

May 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Megan

Bebe,..My sentiments exactly and Amen to that!

July 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • MaginMt

First time I have ever seen or heard of Jonah G.; came here to see who he was because of a comment translated from Russian on a funny Sam Seder bit from June 26th (check it out). The humor here is that P. Morgan was trying to bait Jonah G into the same behavior that Jonah G is apparently lambasting the "EViL LiberAls" for. I would say that it appears that he is just trying to irritate Jonah G, but he went in with that plan and was trying to think fast enough to locate the line he could use to illustrate that point. (That his book's premise can be challenged.) I could have done better, now that I have hours to think about it, but Morgan was on the line and had milliseconds to think through his choices, and so no, I could not have done better. But we have the chance to listen thru this and think it over. Conservatives often write books about this topic, and it goes to their point that EvIl LiBerAls don't have any ideas on public policy worthy of a thoughtful discussion, and possible better consequences, so we'll just pull around about on side issues and avoid thinking lest the thinking public come to realize that the corporate monied interests and theirs are not the same.

August 3, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kanuma1973

Great interview Piersy. Especially liked, "Wow! That is cheap in the Republican World?" "No wonder the country got into the mess it did!"

May 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charlie

Ummm...let's see. Our annual national deficit (how much more government spends than it brings in as revenue) has been more than a trillion dollars ($1,000,000,000,000) each year since Obama took office. Goldberg's wild guess for the cost of the op to kill bin Laden was 50 million ($50,000,000). So, the ratio of the two numbers? 0.005% I.e., the op to kill bin Laden cost 1 20,000th of the amount of money our country goes into debt each year. So yeah, that's cheap in my books.

May 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rhoda Kadalie

Piers makes Larry KIng seem infinitely more appealing. I miss Larry's professionalism and the way he enthused interviewees and got them to reveal their true selves on television. Piers is a partisan hack. What is he trying to prove.

May 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Beth

Paul, Nonsense, Piers is the only TV journalist who has the parts to take some of these GOP types to task. Too often TV shows are used as a forum to spout biased, unsubstantiated views (e.g. George Zimmerman's brother Robert). Goldberg was trying to do the same and Piers wouldn't allow it. I think he gets sick of all the BS too. The GOP just can't stand the fact that Bin Laden was killed on Obama's watch. Bush had 8 years to accomplish this and failed. Had he succeeded, you can bet that Romney would be throwing this in Obama's face at every opportunity. Obama's foreign policy experience was deemed lacking by the GOP in 2008. Well how do they like him now?!!

May 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul

Unfortunately the GOP doesn't have a monopoly on TV show hosts who use their position to spout their own beliefs. FOX indeed has a conservative bias. On the other hand, MSNBC has a liberal bias. Therefore I watch CNN which I think overall tries to be balanced. Unfortunately they don't always succeed. Also, don't know how you can say Goldman was trying to do the the same as George Zimmerman's brother. Pier's never gave Jonah the chance to talk about his book. Also Zimmerman’s brother was talking about a criminal case and Jonah was talking politics.

May 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Tebza

Considering 2 women a week are killed by pantrers or ex pantrers in this country it was quite shocking to discover that in one year, 1 donkey sanctuary receives more donations than ALL the domestic abuse charities in this country. It's not a soft and cuddly issue so we sweep it under the carpet. Thank you for posting and raising the issue of just how desperately funding is needed.

July 31, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • PJNevada

Are you kidding me? Virtually *every* establishment television and print outlet takes Republicans to task, most of the time irrationally and with blatant political bias.

July 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Linda

Comparing him to Larry is like day and night. Larry is by far the most respected interviewer, because his show is all about the interviewee, not about Larry. He never showed any bias and nobody can read his mind. Most state leaders and hard-to-get high profile leaders did not hesitate to appear on his show. Piers Morgan is all about bias and always injecting his own prejudiced opinion. Just because he was invited to WHCD makes him drool over Obama.

May 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deanna

Couldn't agree more Linda. Piers was okay in the beginning of his "career" on CNN, but has since become a female Nancy Grace. Will not allow the guest to answer without constant interruptions to put forth his opinion.

May 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dboygetmoney

It not called "Larry king Live" for a reason.... Hint: Piers Morgan's Show.

May 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ZantrieGaul

I am not so sure ALL doctors and profs are spitud. By the way, I am not a real doctor, I just play one on the internets. A dick head I am indeed. A dick head to JP Morgan Chase. As far as the collective guilt of the spitud ones? Ignorance of one's own spitudity is bliss, so I don't assume any guilt to be prevalent as a collective whole of doctors and profs.

May 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. hailstate

II've never seen a person pat themselves on the back as much as you for being inane, in-the-tank, and predictable on television. Yes, Piers $50 million is cheap IN COMPARISON to the billions spent on the war on terror. You might have understood that, if you weren't trying to score cheap political points against conservatives.

May 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Civis

Jonah's line that Piers doesn't interview conservatives he harangues and cross-examines them is spot on.

The first sign Piers Morgan is not an interviewer: He doesn't listen to his guests.

Goldberg: [Statement about thesis of new book.]
    Morgan: I'm not able to ask interesting questions about the book, so let's talk about this: what the bid Laden ad?
    ...
    Goldberg: Obama deserves credit for making the call, but turning the victory into a political attack against Romney is reprehensible.
    Morgan: But what do you think of McCain for saying shame on Obama for turning this issue into a political attack ad?
    Goldberg: Did you not hear what I just said?
    Morgan: No, I'm just following my script. I have another quote sitting here I want to ask you about John McCain.

Morgan: Let me restate for the fifth time that what Obama did was amazing. By the way, I don't have an ideology here, I'm just being realistic, dealing with the facts. (I clearly don't know what your book is about.)

May 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Arnie

Finally, Mr. Morgan redeemed himself from kissing Trump's a** and challenged the typical Fox Network pabulum spewed by most Republican guests, such as Mr. Goldberg.

May 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. wanjangunjiri

Piers Morgan tore Jonah Goldberg to pieces this morning, it was brutal. It was 4am in Nairobi but it felt like high noon. For someone who sets a divisive tone to the conversation on political ideology, terms people with different world views as 'stupid' (read Amazon book description) and spends his time destructing the liberal point of view, I think Jonah Goldbergs' very public flogging was well deserved. Such conversations stir up emotions and make people focus on things that don't matter, things that don't improve the life of an average citizen. I'm not American but from this thread, I can take an educated guess on the political leanings of each person. It is easy to see how this conversation has divided people along partisan lines. This is politics made in Africa. America is one of the greatest nations in the world and in these dire times, Americans should work together and not let their ideological differences divide them. So what if conservatives are like this or liberals are like that. All that matters is what they can do for their country. As divisions cause America to suffer a grid lock because consensus is hard to find, the world keeps moving forward. Economic giants are born, political influences shift. The privileged position that America holds in the global stage is not a permanent one. It would be sad to see its politics lead to the loss of its political and economic dominance.

May 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • robert

it just doesn't seem like a flogging to me. maybe that's just my take, but by most of the replies i've read, it seems about 2/3 of the audience here think the same...though that doesn't prove anything of course. i think we can agree that to refuse to allow a person to finish a thought as piers did almost the entire time, indicates bias against....well against SOMETHING. against jonah's book? jonah's opinions? jonah himself? not sure, but you just don't keep interrupting a person (especially so early in the interview), without having some kind of bias. add to that the fact that piers admitted he didn't know enough to ask good questions about the book, when the whole point of the interview was to ASK GOOD QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOOK. i really don't see how anyone could argue piers had no bias. where am i going with all this? piers had bias, and it was pretty transparent. piers claimed to have no bias. what was jonah's point at the beginning of the interview? that liberals in the media rarely admit to their bias. piers' made fun of jonah's point, then set about proving it. if it was a flogging, piers was swinging the whip the wrong way. :-)

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda

I was taught in NA that we must cahnge people, places and things and I did that 16 years ago and still clean to tell you that your advice may kill this teen!!!

June 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Serdar

AMEN. I almost didn't post all wneeekd because I was afraid that people would think I was pro-child abuse becasue I'm anti-changing my profile pic. Last year, I actually lost a friendship that started with a disagreement about cause-related marketing, and how a chain bookstore's holiday campaign did more to improve the bottom line of the chain bookstore than to actually help anyone in the community.PS Although it's too bad about the friendship, I'm still right about that.

July 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. moses

Nice Interview

May 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. 1234Ann

Piers was soooooooooooo rude! Why did you have Jonah on the show? You didn't let him talk and you were disrespectful. If you have someone one, shut up and let them talk. I like your show normally but was shocked at the behavior of Piers. Please settle down and let people talk some.

May 1, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. rcottrill

I felt the "interview" with Jonah Goldberg was a disgrace. Instead of allowing the man to share his views, he was hectored and harangued by the host. We didn't get to hear much from Mr. Goldberg. I'm not tuning in to here Mr. Morgan's rude and arrogant proclamations. Much more of this and we'll start wishing Larry King was back! Get rid of Morgan, and get a real interviewer in there.

May 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. mike lyman

Piers – You are on the wrong network, you belong on MSNBC with angry Ed, sarcastic Rachel, rude Chris and the many more leftists Do you ever let anyone that is not a fan of Obama finish a sentence? You let Morgan Freeman say that all who don't want Obama to have a 2nd term are racist, and you just nodded in approval. No wonder your rating are in the toilet.

May 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter Y

Interviews are great. I am glad he is off AGT and got in a better work.

May 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Awan

I don't think the majority of peolpe who changed their profile pictures thought that this would solve child abuse. I say majority because I am sure their are some peolpe out there that feel that they have done all they need to do, but it raises awareness of the problem. Even peolpe, such as yourself, who found the whole thing to be ludicrous are now aware of the issue. And by aware I mean of course that it is in the forefront of their minds or at the very least floating in the mind somewhere around the forefront.I applaud your efforts to increase awareness of this idea of slacktivism which I agree is an issue and a bothersome one at that,but don't be fooled into thinking that posting a few links to child abuse hotlines is some huge call to action.I just fail to see the difference between peolpe sitting around changing their profile pictures and peolpe sitting around complaining about it.

July 31, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Alex

Piers should've kept going with the line of attack about Romney and the Republicans' brazen hypocrisy. A better question would've been, "can you point out to me one instance where you criticized Bush or any other Republican for invoking 9/11 during a political campaign as they did countless times?"

May 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

what would have been better would have been to allow Goldberg to speak. But that was not on the agenda. every time Goldberg started to get to what Romney really said (full context) or meant he was cut off by a stupid question. this was a typical liberal hack interview. waste of time listening to this dope Morgan. he fools no one

May 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • P D

Anyone that puts 'typical liberal" in their post tips their hand-partisan beyond reason.
        Be that as it may, why should a guy who tries to re-frame the NAZIs as 'liberal" and then after cheerleading the last administration's slide into "nation building" has the nerve to cry about using the US military for political reasons when it's not HIS guy, get any respect?
        How about not giving aid and comfort to the enemy by slandering a sitting president in a time of war?
        Oh yea, that's only when it YOUR guy

July 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Femi Williams

Piers you the best... this is the best interview i have ever seen in a very long time. More of reality more of substance than politics. Thank you so much.

May 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank

piers, keep up the great work and i liked your intellectual points of discussions !

May 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Phyllis

Gee, what a terrible interview. I'm not sure Piers Morgan actually needs a guest at all. He seemed to be engaged in a public act of self-gratification that was embarrassing to watch, even by CNN standards. Just wind him up, he can bang his little tambourines together all night long. An interviewer this shallow and boorish is really more suited for celebrities than politics. One wonders how low CNN's ratings have to go before they realize a British accent can't cover up a total lack of interviewing skills.

May 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Sam

Presumably the reason for the interview with Mr. Goldberg was that he just finished a book. I sat through the entire interview and didn't learn anything about it. Maybe that was Morgan's agenda.

May 2, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vassago

today in court 8/29/11 that he wasnt prepared for the kids to live with him that he didnt have chotls for them. he expected me to hand over all the chotls and things to him. someone needs to investigate more or i will sue everyone involved if my kids get hurt or dead. this is already emotionally neglexting them. thank you Jami Holford

June 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Lita

I had intended joiinng you in London, however a committment made some time ago is in the way. I do however on a regular bsis give Talks on my Book and life experience in Ireland in the hands of the so called Sisters of Mercy. My voice allows me to inform different organisations of what really happened behing a six foot wall in Moate, co Westmeath Ireland. In fact what the representatives of the Catholic Church did to innocent Irish Catholic children throughout the Country. The damage and destruction they left in their wake and we today still feel the pain of our loss of Childhood and Family life. Keep the candle burning.Kathleen O'Malley.

July 30, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ted

the interview was a joke. clearly the Romney quote had more to it than what was pulled out and did not at all mean Romney would not go after BL. but every time Goldberg tried to get to this point Morgan cut him off with some stupid question. This was the most disgusting display i have ever seen in an interview. But as expected from this liberal hack.

May 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Carl Peter Klapper

Have you explored the potential coalition of conservation-minded, Main Street Republicans, Democrats and antipartisans in support of Jill Stein and the Green Party? Her combination of local emphasis, public health (as opposed to health insurance), constructive foreign policy and politics "as if people mattered" (as e. f. schumacher put it), seems like a winner to me.

I can assure you that you will get a more substantive interview by getting Dr. Stein on your show.

May 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Zel

Piers Morgan is a pompous pseudo-journalist and Jonah Goldberg, had he been truly "interviewed" vs. prodded, poked, and badgered might have ventured forth with an opinion regarding the hypothetical with which he was presented. I would daresay that Morgan is ignorant of the fact that it was the Dem/Progs who drove us through the palisades of national impoverishment by pushing CRA loans, GSEs, lifting Glass-Steagall, pushing for strong end user derivatives' exemption & myriad other bad ideas in their quest for a utopia. He is clearly jumping on a tangent in order to be antagonistic ... no wonder the fraud-with-an-agenda-Morgan was fired from THE DAILY MIRROR – and who on Earth would trust him or take him seriously.

May 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. robert

How to successfully interview someone smarter than you: 1. pose question 2. allow interviewee to speak till they're 80% of the way to a complete answer 3. interrupt with another question 4.continue till you're out of time, creating the impression you have stumped someone.

May 3, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Steve

This wasn't an interview–it was a badgering. Jonah came on the show to talk about his new book, and Piers spent over half the time relentless harping on Bin Laden. I don't know one thing about Jonah's book after watching this 12 minute hectoring match.

May 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AKHENATEN

I though that the purpose of the interview was to give the audience an opportunity to discover who Johna Goldberg is...not a platform for marketing a product manufactured by Mr Goldberg, for the express purpose of his personal financial gain. Do you really enjoy television commercials that much?

May 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. testlol123123

Piers Morgan isn't necessarily wrong, but that was an extremely byest interview. When we held model UN in high school, we were discouraged from using those 'cheap' tactics that piers morgan used.

May 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Dan

Piers Morgan is a pompous , rude and gossip mongering host.
    He should go back to tabloid journalism.

May 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Cog

Why not ask him honest questions and allow him time to respond? Instead we get this. Those who mentioned this is the best interview or best interviewer ever, I feel sorry for you. The entire interview was painful to watch. Agree or disagree with Goldberg, he gives you issues to think about. A good host could push the envelope a bit, but there was zero that was thought provoking in this interview, Piers Morgan will be gone from CNN inside of 2 years.

May 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. AKHENATEN

in·ter·view
    noun \ˈin-tər-ˌvyü\
    Definition of INTERVIEW
    : a formal consultation usually to evaluate qualifications (as of a prospective student or employee)
    a : a meeting at which information is obtained (as by a reporter, television commentator, or pollster) from a person

Pies Morgan did indeed interview his guest; those that complain that Mr. Morgan did any and everything but, are simply upset over the fact that Mr. Morgan, though his interviewing techniques, revealed his guest for the disingenuous individual he truly is.

May 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AKHENATEN

corrections: Piers & through...my apologies for the typos.

May 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Kurt - Mountain View, CA

I'll keep it simple.
    Jonah, outstanding performance through intelligence in putting this bias "bully style" reporting at bay. It's a matter of time until CNN fires this pompous know-it-all. Perhaps PM should take Wolf out for dinner and take some notes. He obviously did not in years past. Lastly, I doubt PM could get a job spell checking at the National Enquirer. Cog...I hope its sooner.

May 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ramon

1a5Just a fast hello and also to thank you for discussing your tips on this page. I wound up indise your weblog proper right after researching physical fitness connected problems on Yahoo guess I lost track of what I had been performing! Anyway I'll be back as soon as as soon as a lot more indise the long-term to take a look at your blogposts down the road. Thanks!

August 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Emmariel

just spam but coming from a not very hhtealy person just to have attention I would say. This is the threat. To speak about it the way you are doing is a good answer like this everybody knows and even if the person who did it have his(her) attention, you are making the right statement. Harassment in blogging is not admitted!

May 23, 2012 at 3:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. jeremywhooten

From the transcript: "That's good journalism, isn't it?," replied Morgan. "Isn't that the point of an interview?"

Piers Morgan wouldn't know good journalism if it bit him in his ample derriere.

For readers not fully aware of Morgan's "credentials," he was an entertainment reporter for tabloid The Sun (1989–94), and editor of tabloid News of the World (1994–95) and tabloid Daily Mirror (1995–04). He did plenty of damage to people's reputations at all of them, and laughed about it all the way to the bank. Lying, gossip, unfounded innuendo, going for the jugular...­the whole ball o' wax.

After having practically been run out of Britain on a rail (Iraq photo hoax), Morgan took Simon Cowell's advice and moved to the U.S. where American viewers don't really know his tawdry tabloid history. Now Morgan's sordid past is being exposed along with every other low life at NOTW, etc. Without a public acknowledg­ement–inde­ed, an apology for deceiving the public during his years as a presence at not one but three notorious British tabloids–­I don't think Morgan will ever be able to wash the stink off himself from being mentored by Rupert Murdoch and Kelvin Mackenzie, both repulsive yellow journalist­s. Now he's trotting himself out as a quality but "dangerous­" mainstream interviewe­r on CNN. Shame on CNN for hiring this disreputab­le and lame excuse for a journalist­. It’s a sad day for journalism when Piers Morgan is considered “quality journalism­.”

I expect the Leveson Inquiry to implicate Morgan any day now. Then CNN will have to fire him or risk being seen as silent supporters of criminality themselves.

May 28, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Alex.Delarge

If you want to know how much is $50 million:
    it is about 1/10th of what Obama stole from the taxpayers to give to his campaign bundlers at Solyndra.

PM would never attack a Socialist or a Muslim this way. CNN is having an election year objectivity melt-down. No wonder their ratings suck. If CNN doesn't take the new seriously, why should viewers?

June 12, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Akhenaten

Got a pistol?...put salt and pepper on it, and eat the damned thing! Better for you this way...and for everybody else too!

July 21, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Ridhima

Your story sounds so much like mine. I was in an abiuvse relationship for 7 LONG years with a meth addict. I FINALLY got the courage to leave and never look back (after trying to leave for 5 years.....unsuccessfully). I'm now married to a man that treats me like a queen and we have a beautiful baby boy after getting my tubes "untied". Thank you for sharing your story! I know it will help someone else in a similar situation! :)

June 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. John

If Goldberg didn't have an opinion about the cost of the bin Laden operation couldn't he have said "I have no idea"?

July 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Suzie Melaerts

Great interview! Intellectually challenging :) Piers Morgan is not just an 'interviewer'....Piers Morgn is an excellent journalist with a tough reputation. Do Your Home Work before sitting before Pierce Morgan. This is not the 'View' :D
    Simply a very clever man. He's brought some dynamism to TV news. After Piers, it's hard to go back to watching other boring interviews. Thanks Piers Morgan!

July 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. not convinced

The police tell us to buy guns. Off hours, if we ask them, they tell us to buy guns. plus, i don't think people will follow jewish politicians because people don't trust them.

I kind of doubt that people with psych problems or criminal records or gangy types wouldn't be able to get guns. the police sell them to them in some cases. they seem to be attracted to that type of thing and will get kids to steal them or something. they will get them, or something else.

July 24, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • not convinced

i would put my money on bulletproof vests and my own ability to survive. no interest in shooting other people, just want to live if i meet a nut.

July 24, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • not convinced

i think he is right that people would be more likely to shoot one of the family by accident. i'm glad that bloomberg speaks his opinion though. sometimes i like him.

July 24, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  36. Panadogs

Piers...please, please, please do your job and allow your guests to speak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of interview was this? You should never ever allow viewers to develop empathy for your guest because of your bad manners. I was actually sympathetic for him at the end and I DIDN'T agree with his position and I feel bad about that. This is not the British parliament where the loudest voice wins. Be a real interviewer like Mike Wallace or Larry King and allow someone through careful questioning to fall into a trap of their own making with their flawed logic. I don't want to feel sorry for this guy and I do...YIKES! Get your head out!!

July 24, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. MsQ

Jounalism? Please! Jonah Goldberg is highly literate and articulate when given the opportunity to speak. Piers ran down more bunny trails than Elmer Fudd.

July 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. STEVE

STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS STOP THE ADS

July 29, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Frank Sellers

Jonah Goldberg is such a dork. Piers is absolutely right – a good journalist plays devil's advocate and asks questions the interview subject won't be comfortable answering. A toady lapdog reporter onl asks safe questions agreed to ahead of time, a tractic no self-respecting journalist would ever agree to.

Then Goldberg whines that he's being "cross examined". Piers should be thrilled! That's EXACTLY what a good journalist does, he/she cross-examines and keeps probing and probing until the interview subject gives a direct answer to a direct question instead of evading a response.

I don't have CNN so I haven't seen but a handful of Piers' interviews here on the website, but so far I like what I see, which is a LOT more than I can say for any other television reporter I've seen in many years. I thought television journalistic integrity died with Peter Jennings. (And I miss Jane Pauley, too.)

October 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Robbin Goal

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything. But imagine if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could definitely be one of the very best in its niche. Awesome blog! Robbin Goal http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. China Hood

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would really benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Appreciate it! China Hood http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. In Home Personal Training Long Island

"Piers Morgan Tonight" host. "No wonder the country got into the mess it did." Are you for real? We're in the mess we are in, do to
    the out of control spending from the last 2 presidents and the current democratic one is spending quicker and greater then the last
    republican one ever did.
    My unborn baby is now over $53,000 in debt to this country. The spending from our current president needs to stop and the blame game
    needs to stop.