Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 2nd, 2012

Ryan O'Neal: "I failed Farrah"

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes well-known actor Ryan O'Neal to the program for an emotional and honest face to face interview.

The long-time partner of Farrah Fawcett, and father of four, O'Neal opens up about the challenges he faced as a parent:

"I don't know if I tried hard enough. I loved them and sometimes that's not enough," he tells Piers Morgan.

Nearly three years since the death of Fawcett, O'Neal feels more responsibility to the legendary actress than to his children:

"I feel that I failed Farrah. They can take care of themselves. It was Farrah that I was concerned about. It was Farrah, whom I loved, and whom I lost."

Watch the clip, and tune in this evening at 9 p.m., as the 71-year-old O'Neal discusses his new book – "Both of Us: My Life with Farrah" – and details the status of the relationships with each of his four kids.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Christie

I would like to know why he isn't as concerned about his relationship with his children. This man should NEVER have had kids. What a terrible father. He constantly blames his kids for his failings as a dad. Pathetic Ryan.

May 2, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pAAtty

i agree..i watched him on two interviews (some of the worst I have ever seen) He seems to just choose to be the victim.
      While I agree that his children are responsible for their own actions now, he could and should show some remorse for him seemingly abandoning of them for "Farrah". Seems he still worships her. Honestly, a very sad guy. Wish he could now be there for his kids....and look at what he still has, grandchildren, etc. He needs to let go of the past already.

May 2, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Creolelady

Ryan is an old man now and he is still just as immature as he was when he was 28. Farrah has been dead for 3 years now-you would think that he would try to get close to his children and grown grandchildren but just look at him-a dottering old man dont know what to do with himself

May 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steph

I agree, Ryan is not going to win any 'dad of the year' awards. Ryan's addiction was and still is Farrah and nothing else seems to matter to him. I feel sick to my stomach when I hear him talk.

May 3, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Melanie

Two interviews with Ryan O'Neal inside of about four months is way too much! I tuned in hoping to have a different judgement! But Ryan is the same narcissistic baby boy–not very bright, not very caring, and still acting like a teenager. He is amazingly self-centered and sadly lacking in self-reflection about his own life and his own choices. The comments about his children are sad and self-serving. He alluded to needing money–clearly the only reason for his self-serving memoir and resultant book tour. What a jerk!! (could say much more, but I don't use that language) I hope to never see him again on TV and don't care what happens to him! Did he accompany Farrah to Germany for her treatments–NO! He didn't like to travel! Now he is trying to reap monetary benefits from his lifelong bad behavior!

May 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Nana

What a beautiful sister Presiden Obama has. A true great family-- only happiness in America : )

May 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sue

IMHO Ryan didn't fail Farrah, he failed his children. what a sad old man.

May 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Alex

This is crazy! We don't know what he was going to say next...it ends with I failed Farrah. Maybe there was more to it.
    And this from his son, Patrick O'Neal on Twitter (Can't CNN pick this stuff up! I found it easily enough!)
    Patrick O'Neal ‏ @PONealFSWest
    @SherriEShepherd I love him, I don't have to forgive him for anything. Y'all did a poor job. Attack, attack, attack. No research.

May 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Alex

Patrick O'Neal, the only one of Ryan's children who hasn't been in rehab and on drugs. Or jail. He seems very together.

May 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Steph

I am tired of listening to him. He has failed his children and constantly slaps them in the face when he talks.
    I feel for them the most.

May 3, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mariana goschin

I watched the Ryan O 'Neil interview.... felt that he repents and he was humble and willing to make up for his mistakes. A good man, he just did not know better!!!

May 3, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. WorldCares

This was a very open, insightful and intense interview.
    This brings back memories. I remember, in the late 80s, my husband and I were going to divorce. He came to visit, one last time, the boys were 9 months and 23 months old. I will never forget, I was standing in the kitchen and he said, "I want to give up all parental rights." I was standing by the frig. In my mind, I thought, 'That is a godsend.' Realistally, I said to him,"I do not think that is a good idea."
    My husband was abusive and that is why I chose to divorce him before the children could be exposed to his abuse.
    He visited the boys once, after the divorce and never again. My sons are 25 AND 26 now.
    My oldest son is Autistic so it did not matter to him. My youngest son, however, wanted to know why his Father did not come to see him. I never said anything bad about their Father. I told the truth and said his job takes him away for awhile. Once my son became a teenager, I talked to him and he learned, after he met him, he learned that his Father was a deadbeat dad. My son was very hurt and angry that his Father did not care about him.
    My youngest son went to prison at age 19. You have no idea what that did to me.
    He is, now, thriving and on the right path.
    Mr. O'Neal, if you care, you need open up and make peace with your children.
    It does not matter how old you are or how old your children are.
    They are still your children .
    A child wants to know and wants closure.

May 3, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

What a beautiful letter. Pierce Morgan should have people like you on his show and send the O'Neal family to a rehab camp and only free them untill they all learn to forgive. We all make mistakes, and we need to start learning from each others mistakes and move on.

May 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Tess

Ryan wants acceptance for all the (everything) things he screwed up. He did what he did for whatever reason (probably self absorbed) and he deeply knows it. I see nothing (in fact, less than anything) special about him. Just another Hollywood inflated ego that caused him to act in his best, short term perceived interest. That said, thank you Ryan for showing us that we, the not-so-famous, not-so-beautiful and not unjustifiably rich, are likely better parents and citizens without the artificial elevations that you seem to believe you deserve. I actually feel better after watching the program.

May 3, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ange

the man is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
    has he stroked out or something?
    never followed his career but he is an odd duck...worshipping the dead vs the living...failed farrah? wow..
    He probably fits into several cats in classification of mental disorders.........
    Peirs was ever so polite and respectful in challenging O'Neil.....koodoos....

May 3, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. suze

When are his now adult children going to take responsibility for their own actions.I have a few just like that.I tried all you can do is try.You look back and would change things about being a parent if you could.If you listen he admitted to being on the fly.What else can he do? Give him a break would you have liked it better if he hated Farrah he has the right to love and miss whomever he pleases.
    Sorry you suffer from the heartbreak of losing your love of your life Ryan.Also from the heartbreak of grown children that make choices that others blame the parents for always.Bless you and know you did what you could at the time and I believe you tried.

May 3, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. EricKapoor

He's got to let go of Farrah. He failed his children not Farrah. He abandoned his children for the safe of farrah. He seems to have been mesmerized by Farrah and forgot his obligation and his responsibilty to his children. He is selfish and so self centered. I feel sorry for his children not him. What a sad old man, feeling sorry for him-self. He ought to reach out to his children now and mend things before he dies.

May 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ipad

I thought it was very real havnig recently battled cancer I understood a lot of her feelings.With regards to her son all of us understand family and the issues some face it was a part of her world now and a good choice to include it. The guy suing her he sounds like an opportunist and we all know Hollywood seems to bread them.Blessings and I hope all is well.Dorothy from grammologygrammology.com

May 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. psychotherapist, retired

do not know whether RO is senile, a narcicist or just has poor judgment resulting from stupidity. [ i am amazed that his handlers, minimally, did not prepare him to appear better in an interview show.] to tell a daughter, at any age, that she cannot provide what he needs that farah might, so he is aligning with farah, is beyond poor parenting. there were so many examples of this immature and self centered behavior, it is impossible to list them all. [ is he simply being told what he wants to hear by hangers on?] Ryan..do not know whether you have the personal characteristics to help anyone before you understand your own contribution to your familial mess,.. get help! [ BTW, my family members have been successful in show business and that is NO EXCUSE!]

May 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Lark83

I remember when his daughter Tatum was nominated for and won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. She was about 10 years old. Any normal father would have been immensly proud and happy. It should have been one of the happiest nights of his life. Instead, this deadbeat didn't even show up. Tatum wrote in her memoirs that he was very jealous and purposely boycotted the award ceremony. Very sad and pathetic. Sick actually.

May 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Freddo

Wow ... poor, poor Ryan. Let's feel bad for him as he wallows in his self-pity and loss of FF.

What he seems to have succeeded at is being self-absorbed.

Ryan ... get off your butt, crawl out of this hole you've sunken into, and do something constructive with your life.

And for goodness sake, STOP WHINING!!!!!

May 3, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. mary

OK.. He failed his kids..
    But when his kids became adults that old song and dance doesn't fly.
    My parents were not the greatest.. But when I became an adult it was not their job to fix the past.. It was my job to be an adult and make the most out of my own adulthood..Be a adult to my own kids.
    NOt get on drugs and whine that my mommy and Daddy didn't treat me good and pass on the same kind of pain to my own...
    Too many people get whine about mommy and Daddy and fail their own kids at the same time..
    This guy wasnt the best parent in the world.. yet his kids had all the money and privileges his celebrity afforded them. So whine whine whine..
    I think they are all on a loosing streak.
    Its time the ALL grew up..

May 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply