Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Piers Morgan on the White House Correspondents Dinner and his lovely date, Goldie Hawn
May 7th, 2012

Hot off the digital press, Piers Morgan's most-recent "Daily Mail" diary is out.

Entitled "'Great date! Good laughs, good chat, good fun, good guy!' tweeted Goldie Hawn. What a gal...,"Morgan uses his portion of the U.K. publication to discuss his date for the recent White House Correspondents’ Dinner, acclaimed actress Goldie Hawn:

"Ms. Hawn has been one of my favourite stars since I was 15 and Private Benjamin came out. Any woman who could actually make a man DIE during sex on their wedding night had to be pretty special. I said ‘Yes’ faster than Usain Bolt would take to cover a millimetre. Tonight, I boarded my limo in Washington DC and headed to Goldie’s hotel, the Four Seasons.

‘Fancy a drink in the bar to calm your nerves?’ I texted en route. She responded instantly. ‘Coming down. Drink. Bar.’ Goldie looked sensational in a shimmering black dress, white fur wrap and a sprinkling of jewels bright enough to light Capitol Hill for the night. ‘Fabulous dress!’ I exclaimed. ‘Dolce & Gabbana,’ she explained. I pulled open my jacket. ‘Ditto.’ We ordered champagne.

‘Now, Piers,’ she said, piercing me with those dazzling blue eyes. ‘Tell me all about YOU.’ For half an hour we chatted about life, politics, Kurt Russell (the other man in her world) and daughters. Goldie’s, of course, is superstar actress Kate Hudson. Mine is Elise Morgan, only five months old but no less of a superstar. ‘You will be the most important man in her life forever,’ she warned. ‘Don’t ever forget that.’"

Upon arriving at the evening's event, Morgan was instantly thrust into the limelight and lifestyle that comes from hanging with Hawn:

"Red carpets normally fill me with horror. But not this time. ‘Let’s go rock them, baby,’ Goldie urged, sliding her arm through mine. Flashbulbs exploded, as did my ego. I now know how Elizabeth Taylor’s seven husbands must have felt in similar situations. You understand it’s not about you, but God, it feels good."

Safely inside the venue, the hob-nobbing with Hawn only continued for our author:

"We sat at our table, slap bang in the middle of a cavernous ballroom teeming with 3,000 guests, 30 yards from where President Obama would be sitting. ‘Should we mingle?’ Goldie asked. ‘Nooooo. Let the mountain come to Muhammad.’ And so it did.

Goldie is ridiculously famous and ridiculously popular. Everyone LOVES her. Woody Harrelson, Colin Powell, Viola Davis, Google chairman Eric Schmidt – all joined the throng paying delighted homage to my golden guest. Elle Macpherson was the only one not happy. ‘He was MY date a few months ago, Goldie,’ she protested. Which is true: we sat together at the Pride of Britain Awards. ‘Jealousy’s a terrible thing, Body – do calm down,’ I insisted.

Just when I thought things couldn’t get better for my own rather jaundiced brand, Eva Longoria came and sat next to us, took my hand and purred, ‘Piers, I loved our last interview. Can we do it again soon?’ ‘He is great, isn’t he?’ agreed Goldie, adding her hand to the pile. ‘I loved mine too.’ I have no idea what heaven’s like, or indeed if I’ll ever get there, but if I do, I reckon it’ll resemble something like this."

For more of Morgan's musings, and to learn additional details from his night in the the nation's capital, read the entire diary here.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Across The Pond
  1. Melinda Luedtke

I would like to say how much I enjoy the Piers Morgan Show. He is a refreshing voice on TV. He represents a voice of civility, optimism, good taste, interesting dialogue and sensitivity toward the people he interviews. In short, he represents so many of the qualities that are in short supply these days on the tv. I thank you for giving him this premium face time with the American public. He really deserves it. Thank you Piers Morgan and CNN.

May 8, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Name*Trsha Buller

Goldie Hawn is simply amazing,
    I sat just one table away from her at the beverley wiltshire hotel, and out of respect for ger privacy did not interupt to tell how hiw much i admired n respected her, im still kucking myself to this day.
    all her movies are brilliant , however my favourite was 'overboard' .
    Reading Piers article gave me goose bumps, what an honest down to earth article.
    Keep them coming Piers

May 8, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. restaurants sydney

I've been browsing online more than 3 hours nowadays, yet I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the web might be much more helpful than ever before.

July 25, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. pyperry

I am an adamant Obama supporter, and a well-educated African-American woman and professor, but have to agree with the Republican correspondent on your show tonight. Women's health is not equivalent with abortion and I voted for our wonderful, re-elected president in spite of his views on this issue not because of his support for abortion. I do think that part of his lower numbers among women, particularly among older and white women, is due to the overemphasis of the campaign on abortion as a women's health issue. It is much less of an issue than cardiovascular and breast health in terms of the most significant threats to women's life span, as I have had multiple people in my family suffering from the actual women's health issues I mentioned. I know of only one person in my close family of 100 or so that has had an abortion and if Democrats want to more solidly take over American politics as the "everyman's party," they will have to stave their quick drift to the extreme left. Hispanic Catholics and Protestant African-Americans–who collectively gave the President this election– will emerge over time who do still believe their faith matters (statistics demonstrate they are more loyal to their faith than even white Christians) and eventually this will enable a drift back of Hispanics and a weeding away of some African-Americans to the conservative right.

November 8, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. pyperry

I meant lower numbers among women than in 2008 in the above comment.

November 8, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Laurie

I was a huge Larry King fan so I will be honest and say I have only watched Pierce Morgan's show on a limited basis. Since this horrific incident in Newtown Conn, I have been somewhat glued to CNN (my favorite channel) and I caught last nights Pierce Morgan's show as well as this evenings and am shocked that Mr. Morgan has an audience. He is rude and way out of line. I believe that what ever our differences are, when you are the host of a show and invite a guest to express their view than you need to temper your view in a gracious and cohesive manner. Suffice to say I will never watch this show again and am very surprised that CNN would have this tongue lashing self righteous guy have the microphone. Calling his guests ( I didn't agree with his guests point of view either but that isn't the point) idiots and so on is counter productive. Come on CNN there are a lot of American talk show hosts that have grace and style, you can do better. I am thinking Regis Philbin,Gayle King,Diane Sawyer to name a few, If you didn't have Anderson Cooper I may be saying good bye to CNN forever!

December 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Katrina Ortic

For some women, breast health tops the list of women's health concerns. What's the best way to do a breast self-exam? What should you do if you find a breast lump? What's the best way to treat breast pain? ':,'

Best regards

August 12, 2013 at 4:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Piers Morgan came across as an amature in the Newt Gringrich debate with Dick morris, grow up Morgan

Piers Morgan came across as a light weight in the Newt Gringrich debate with Dick Morris, grow up Morgan

September 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply