Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 7th, 2012

Suzanne Somers on stem cell surgery: "We're not that far away from being able to regrow limbs"

This evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed actress and author Suzanne Somers for an endearing and engaging primetime exclusive.

Well-known for her television roles as Chrissy Snow on "Three's Company" and Carol Lambert on "Step by Step," Somers opened up about her recent bout with breast cancer, detailing her choice to fore-go radiation in favor of alternative treatment:

"They took the fat from my stomach – boo hoo – and, this is in lay speak, in a sophisticated technology like a centrifuge, whipped it around at supersonic speed, and extracted my stem cells, separated them, cleaned them, discarded the weak ones, took the strong stem cells in a small amount of that fat, made it rich with my stem cells and then, again, for lack of a better term, took a turkey baster and injected into this breast, and poof! Wow!"

The face – and legs – behind the infamous infomercials for Thighmaster, Somers told Piers Morgan that her type of surgery may be the first step in tremendous medical progress:

"It is the blood vessels and the nerve growing," said the 65-year-old Somers. "To me, the ramifications of what this can mean for the future uses of stem cells, I think of our enlisted people and we're not that far away from being able to regrow limbs. I hope this just opens the door a little bit."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as the author of the new book “Bombshell: Explosive Medical Secrets That Will Define Aging” shared specific details about how her body looks, and feels, today.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Richard F.

Are you kidding me? Suzanne Somers comes on the show with $100,000 worth of plastic surgery and she's going to tell us how to stay young? This is exactly the kind of poisonous Hollywood brainwashing that inspires eating disorders and other emotional issues among women today, especially the impressionable youth. Then, to really insult our intelligence, Mr. Morgan goes on to tell this pathetic charlatan that she looks like she is in her thirties! What she looks like is a woman in her sixties who's had too much work done. and the only thing worse is the pseudo-medical crap she is trying to sell. We are not fooled.

May 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RWANTE

AGREE 100%

May 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Specs

Andreas, You are the best!!!!!Ezanne and Aiden, you look so gorgeous and I just know that these merieoms that Hauke captured will be treasured by you for the rest of your lives!Love you guys!

June 28, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Oh really....I think she looks great for her age...not 30 but defiantly not in her 60's. Think your just the type of person that finds fault with everyone.

May 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • bigaugie

Yeah right, Kathy, let's see what she looks like without all that make-up piled on her face. She's got more plastic in her than a Tupperware party.

May 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • pazyfe

I agree with Richard. F.

May 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Richard F.

WRONG, Kathy. My wife is 66 years old (I'm 58) and she looks much better tham the "devine Miss S." WITHOUT any mutilations (opps, I mean "enhancements"). BTW, she also has gone through colon cancer as well, but has managed not to use it to inflict pseudoscience on a celebrity-hungry public. BTW, thank you for your judgment!

May 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I agree. She looks like a pumpkin!

May 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AZHM

SHE IS ONE SMART COOKIE! DON'T JUDGE! SHE ISN'T JUST SPOUTING GIBERISH . . . THERE ARE FACTS BEHIND HER INFORMATION. JEALOUS MUCH!?

May 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rochard F.

Nor smart; shrewd.

May 8, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Milton

Why get your scientific information from a stem cell researcher or an MD/PhD when Chrissy Snow can tell you all you need to know about it. I get my vaccination advice from Jenny McCarthy, my spiritual guidance from John Travolta and Tom Cruise, and my moral guidance from Snookie and Kim Kardashian. Most of my well-informed political perspectives come from Rush Limbaugh (as well as my knowledge about global warming) and Ted Nugent. I was thinking I needed some advice about open heart surgery so I'm going to wait until Charles Barkley and Lindsay Lohan have an interview about it on the tonight show before I make any rash decisions. Where would we be without uncredentialed actors and "celebrities" to enlighten us all? You know, these celebrities are so brilliant that we should really consider electing a professional wrestler, a basketball star, or actor as governor. I guess we aren't quite ready for that are w?.Who knows, maybe some day we'll elect an actor as President. He'll play the part well and make us all feel really good inside like they do on sappy movies. I love America.

May 9, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • jkflipflop

In your haste to post your blind hate, you missed the fact that none of this is about her looks. She's talking about medical progress that's being blocked in the United States.

She's talking about saving lives and regrowing limbs for disabled soldiers, and you're hating on her plastic surgery. Who's the imbecile here?

May 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Richard F.

You're the imbecile, for falling for her attention-craving BS. Search her to see what she's selling and the lies she tells to sell it and then you will understand.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohsnap

TOTALLY AGREE.

May 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DJ

Susie needs to let it go. With all the surgery, she still looks 65. What's the point?

May 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • sg

You have got to be kidding. Regardless of what you think about what she is saying, claiming or doing, she does not look 65.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • sara

Why are we listening to her as an expert on stem cells. Though science has made many advances in the field, we are no closer to growing a limb than we were 20 years ago. Plus the incidence of cancer and other problems with stem cell treatment leaves it currently less than desirable.

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Cheryl

Richard this is about the prospect of a breast reconstruction option for women who have lost part or all of their breast to cancer. It has nothing to do with advocating or selling cosmetic surgery.

This procedure is not yet available in US. Has potential to help many, many women.

May 8, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bigaugie

Cheryl, she's promoting her new book, "Bombshell" and has been running the interview gauntlet to do so. I saw an interview with her on Fox News yesterday morning and while she started off talking about her boobs she quickly moved on to a bunch of anti-aging procedures, some of which were very expensive.

Given what this woman has done with her looks over the past several years there's no way I'd buy into anything she's pushing. The interview I saw wasn't pretty. When you're her age with that much plastic surgery it doesn't pan out well with HD TV.

May 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Richard F.

Thank you, bigaugie!
        As Rush Limbaugh said (and I am definitely NOT a fan of his, if you want to know the truth, follow the money!
        Suzanne is selling, and it's up to us to not fall for her snake oil pitch!

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Plasticsurg

What happened here? She used to look ok

May 8, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard F.

Actually, she didn't. Suzanne did a Playboy spread in 1980 and she looked AWFUL!
      Very unattractive body... who would have guessed?
      Then, she did another Playboy spread in 1984 and amazingly, she looked MUCH better!
      The beginning of the plastic surgery solution, but certainly not the end of it!

May 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Daniel

Your worst interview yet Piers. Where's Madonna when you need her.... I don't mind self promotion for a book but 99% of the country can not afford her elective surgeries and methods to try to stay young. ps it's not working very well, mother nature always wins..

May 8, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Eugene Angton

I am happy for Ms Somers , but , yet again an example of what great wealth can get you...it will never be made available to the working class...hell we could not pay the co-pay...One glaring reason the country needs O Bama Care now and Universal health Care for all in the near future.......be very careful who you vote for...we need a DEMOCRATIC HOUSE AND SENATE.....

May 8, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bigaugie

I was wondering how long it would take before some tool played the politics card.

May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sisi

If you think universal health care is going to solve your problem, you are in for a surprise. I come from a country with universal health care, the system dictates what you can and can't have according to their guidelines and the wait for surgery sometimes takes years. I have never heard of anyone from this country going elsewhere to receive that life saving operation.

May 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. palintwit

How about brain reconstruction for Sarah Palin and her little teabaggies?

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • George

Sarah and her lemming followers? Now that is closer to fantasy than science-fiction

May 8, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joanne

As I was switching , I noticed Suzanne on the screen and then listened to your description and wow a total disconnect between the visual and verbal.

As a 62 yr old female who is very happy make up and hair spray free I was particularly annoyed with the description being attached to the visual image of Suzanne as it was such a contradiction.

The media basically ends up endorsing the "product." In this case, an image of a woman with a ton of make-up on and a hair job. But that was her character in one of those tv shows, a show that did not put women in a positive light and was supposedly "funny". Anyway I prefer the more natural no make up and no hair job also healthier. But to say she is looking in her thirties is beyond a stretch. Wow do I miss impartiality when it comes to the media and their reporting and interviewing styles.

Gee would I like to see a bunch of women who are happy with their being inside and out get to talk about life etc... on prime time tv but instead we get to hear total absolute fabrications of reality at the expense of women. Once again the extreme concern over external image is detrimental to women of all ages and especially the young.

It was good to read other messages that also believed this particular interview was particularly inaccurate.

May 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bigaugie

About a month ago I saw a Barbara Walters interview with Joan Rivers about plastic surgery (a little ironic given the work that Walters has had done). There was footage of Rivers without her make-up as she was getting prepped for more surgery. Holy crap, it was like seeing a freak of nature. There's no way you can look at yourself in the mirror without make-up and all ot the plastic and think you look appealing or even normal. These people have a head full of cats to think people don't see beyond the mask.

May 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bonnie

Everybody's forgetting that this woman BEAT breast cancer, with an alternative treatment. Yeah it cost a fotune and she's got a fortune, but her paying for these experiments WILL eventually help other women. I applaud her, I DO think she's gorgeous, and I DON"T think that makes her a hollow shell. I wear little makeup, but I refuse to go on a jealous rant about women who wear a lot, especially one who wears it so well.

May 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

What alternative treatment? She had the breast removed, just like most other women. That's not alternative. The only "alternative" part is having the breast regrown instead of getting an implant. If true, and successful, that's great. But it's likely to be incredibly expensive for the foreseeable future, so not something that a lot of people can afford. But lots of women have "beat" breast cancer the same way she did, by having it removed.

May 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard F.

Bonnie; it's not abou makeup, it's about women who undergo extensive plastic surgery and then LIE to the public by saying they haven't had ANYTHING done.

Truth is truth, and lies are lies.

May 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kathyjoe

I followed her thru her journey with bioidentical hormones and because of her, chose BHRT (as opposed to synthetic hormones). I am very grateful to her for sharing her experiences. If she had not shared this information, I would have never known about BHRT. She is fortunate enough to have the resources and is brave enough to put herself out there for the criticism she undoubtedly will attract. I hope she continues and is successful.

May 9, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Blah Blah the wheel's off your trailer

So what's the big deal? This is a very successful women who played by the rules, worked hard and achieved the American Dream! Is that a bad thing? This is a good woman who has done nothing but good in her life, so let's give her some credit and respect! I grew up watching Three's Company and still love that show! Thanks Chrissy! God bless you!

May 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard F.

"Thanks Chrissy"? Really?! Wow, you bought into the stupid sitcom as well as the BS infomercial!
      "The wheel's off my trailer?" I don't have a trailer, but it's pretty obvious you live in one.
      BTW, the tabloids appreciate your business...

May 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Fireman 9

Give the woman a break ! The woman is 65 people ! I think she looks fabulous, considering her age. I watched the interview and was very impressed her discussing herself having breast cancer which i'm sure is not easy for a lot of women to talk about, she lost her breast and she is just telling us other alternatives that a woman could do, as she did. I don't think she was saying we all have to run out and do what she did ! She has worked hard for her money and avery smart woman as well. When Is see a woman that looks fabulous at 65 years old, I'm sorry people, I want to hear what she has to say. She seemed like she really just wanted to help people. I don;t think she was coming across like she is some sort of doctor . I dont think she needs to promote anything. I say, if she really is trying to help woman who have breast cancer to other alternatives that could be live saving . I say, more power to her ! She is not the only woman in this world who has had plastic surgery. 90 percent of hollywood over 40 has had plastic suregey, even the men ! She deserves more respect than some have givin her.

May 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. kathat0

I love Suzanne and admire her business sense and her quest to look younger I wish I had the money to do it.

May 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard F.

She makes her money from people like you.
      Maybe you should start a business where you misrepresent medical facts and mislead the public; then you would have the money to do what she does!

May 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • kathat0

Please share the facts about what she misrepresented? I'm clueless as to what your talking about. She had a breast removed from breast cancer and she underwent a new stemcell treatment and thats a fact.

May 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ohsnap

Her face doesn't move.

May 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Howard Martinson

I had a stem cell transplant last June, so I'm familiar with the basics of stem cell treatment. Lots of promise, tons of research being done. That, plus weekly chemo treatments are my best bet for beating this beastly cancer.

I was not aware of Suzanne's type of stem cell treatment. I hope it's successful for her, and extend best wishes.

May 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kathyjoe

Howard Martinson, Good Luck on your journey!

May 9, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Diane

I'm going to have to say this.. I have followed along Suzanne's journey and have read a lot of her stuff. She knows what she's talking about. I have also used her products, and they are pretty good. She's done a lot of research with medical professionals. Having said that, I have to agree that she is always hawking products, so she has an agenda to help women, yeah, but also an agenda to make a lot of money, so you have to take that into consideration. And, to me, she does look like she has had work done on her face which contradicts what she preaches. She does claim it's only the Face Master, a great tool that I also use and has worked wonders for me, but it's not surgery or fillers, just electronic stimulation of the muscles. I'm a lot younger than she is, but I don't think she did that pillow face with a Face Master.

June 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply