Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 10th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Lewis Black and Clay Aiken on gay marriage, President Obama, and the North Carolina referendum

As the polarizing discussion of gay marriage continues to dominate the news cycle, on Wednesday, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed a host of experts, celebrities, and insiders to share opinions and insight on the nation's most-topical social issue.

Following Barack Obama's statement of support, actor and comedian Lewis Black expressed disbelief in the delay, wondering why it's taken so long for the country to come to this conclusion:

"About five years ago it was like I had done all the material what else - do we really have to go through all of this?" asked Black. "The gay couples I know have some of the longest relationships that I know. A lot of it I think is ignorance and I really believe that...This isn't a choice. If it were a choice I would understand them...People don't go 'Boy I'd like to be ostracized, excluded, I'd like to be bullied.' It's absurd!"

Meanwhile, on the heels of North Carolina's recent referendum banning same-sex marriage, Tarheel-state resident Clay Aiken joined Piers Morgan with mixed emotions surrounding the week's developments:

"It is a little bittersweet. I'm in North Carolina, and as a North Carolinian, was really disappointed with the way the amendement initiative vote went yesterday here in North Carolina," shared the "American Idol" runner-up. "But, it's very promising to hear President Obama finally come up and speak out on something that's so important."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as Black and Aiken share candid commentary on the conflict between Wednesday's news from Washington, and Tuesday's amendment in North Carolina.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Dennis

Piers, can't believe you have been "taken in" by Obama on his statement on gay marriage. This was no earth-shattering news. Everybody knew this was his view. He only made this statement yesterday for political reasons. He is trying to shore up his far left base. Now look what is happening today. He is out in Hollywood getting a payback by the left. After the president's comments on ABC his campagin raised 1 million dollars in 90 minutes. Wake up Piers! Don't be so gullible when it comes to the president.

May 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Citizen

Dennis, Piers is not being gullible. He knows exactly what he is doing. Obama is not the only one pandering to the Hollywood elite. If you have watched his show for any length of time, you will notice that he caters to them.

May 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. PRINCE

it is a sad day. A man cannot marry a man. It is abomination. We should love gays but pray for them for deliverance. I have not heard a single word of knowledge in all of this. Where is the church? Is the church dead? Civil unions is also a sin.

May 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Anne

I enjoyed your show very much last night with the exception of Donohue, who was a caricature and laughable. Clay Aiken, Jesse and Louis Black were all informative and entertaining. Great job! I'm very proud of President Obama.

May 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Chris

Thank you for last night's episode with Lewis Black, Clay Aiken and all the others. Clay Aiken has been a quiet proponent for gay rights over the years – not appearing on every show in the world to push his own agenda or toot his own horn, so it was nice to see him out a bit more in the press lately. He is a very articulate guy.

May 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mary

Loved the show last night Piers, extremely relevant and passionate. Thought that Clay, Jesse and Lewis all did a terrific job. The Catholic guy sounded like a complete bigot and idiot and I am a Catholic. Clay Aiken is extremely articulate and well informed about political issues and so happy to hear him speaking for equality. The whole show was interesting and informative.

May 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. janemarie

I enjoyed your show last night (except Donahue)..the rest were very informative especially Clay Aiken. I always knew Clay is a great singer but had no clue how articulate he is. I think news programs should be more about informing the public rather than the fluff we've been getting from the media.Dumbing Down of America has got to stop....we need well informed news casters rather than Lives of celebrities. No wonder sixty minutes has been on the air for years and is one of the top rated news program.

May 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. anna2878

I won't deny it. Why should I? I am a big fan of Clay Aiken. I'm also a big fan of your show. So the combination of the two of you was wonderful. Clay is smart, funny, compassionate, and courageous. I am also from North Carolina, and he makes me proud every day. Did you know that Clay started his own foundation to help children with disabilities be included in the world around them? He has a lot of interesting things to say. You should have him on for a long interview soon. Rock on, Piers.

May 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mollyssrogers

I am a big fan of yours Piers and loved you on Celebrity Apprentice. I now enjoy you on this intelligent actual news, not fluff show. !. Last night's show was exceptionally good and I thought Clay Aiken was very eloquent (coincidentally also on Celebrity Apprentice) and I loved his dig at that horrible Catholic dude . Jesse was very likeable and intelligent also.

May 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paula

OMG it's another bonnzaa of beautiful and excellent photos. Of course they are obviously extra special with Clay being the gorgeous subject. I honestly cannot pick which one I like best. They are all spectacular. Love the serious look of Clay Aiken. What a great photo shoot. Thanks for the day brightener.

June 28, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. kindness

A thought to consider without a typical ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Trancend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and trancsend our own desire to know and have proof. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Let go and let god".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find a truth you can take with you in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life. You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf, the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed, your good deeds are forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated, your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over .
    Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent....

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth.

Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment. You don't get what you want you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

Your all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime .
    Its awsome .

May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. dvikib

Enjoyed the thought-provoking show on gay equality. I liked the way Clay Aiken expressed his opinions.
    I am a Catholic who is very much in favor of gay marriage. Bill Donohue and his Catholic League have been an embarrassment to me ever since they worked on getting the excellent TV show "Nothing Sacred" canceled back in the 1990's.

May 10, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. PeggyK

This is what I don't understand. Everyone who is against gay marriage says it is because of their religious beliefs. We have separation of church and state which means religion has no place in our politics or laws. Why is this a legitmate excuse/defense? I don't get it.

May 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. mjinmd

I am so glad to hear Clay Aiken getting the accolades he deserves. Seems like he keeps his mouth shut until he has something important to say and then he says it and people respond positively.

May 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mikeg Chendof

Thanks for your advice on this blog. A single thing I would wish to say is always that purchasing gadgets items from the Internet is not something new. Actually, in the past decade alone, the market for online electronic products has grown significantly. Today, you will discover practically any kind of electronic gizmo and other gadgets on the Internet, ranging from cameras as well as camcorders to computer spare parts and games consoles.

July 13, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. gay tours

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I feel I'd by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and very extensive for me. I'm having a look ahead in your next publish, I'll attempt to get the cling of it!

August 4, 2012 at 4:12 am | Report abuse | Reply