Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 11th, 2012

Carson Daly on the "TIME" magazine breast-feeding photo: "I didn't think it was real when I first saw it"

Later tonight at 9 p.m., Piers Morgan welcomes fellow television host, a TRL alum, and NBC staple, Carson Daly.

A father of one, with another child on the way, the 38-year-old Daly shares his opinion of the recent magazine cover depicting a 3-year-old boy climbing on a chair to breast feed from his mother:

"My first reaction was that - that must be like a European cover version of 'TIME,'" said the "The Voice" host. "I didn't think it was - I didn't think it was real when I first saw it, because it was a bit of - it was a bit shocking."

Joining the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host for a face to face sit down, Daly admits that he's not "in the business of telling moms what to do," but maintains that limits need to be set:

"I mean I don't think you should, you know, go into like first grade and pull out your kid at lunch and - and breast-feed him," said the host of "Last Call with Carson Daly." "That's - you know, there is a line somewhere. Be careful where you draw that."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m., as the man who helped popularize MTV's "Total Request Live" reveals his one-time aspiration of joining the priesthood.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Laura d

I never comment but I am so upset by Piers Morgans comments about breast feeding mothers that I felt the need to today. My boys are 15,19, and 23. I breasted all three of them to between the ages of 2-3. They are very healthy, sociable, well-functioning young adults. That was a very close bonding time that I feel caused them to be very secure. How come no one attacks the mothers that work full time and only truly spend an hour or two a day and let others in society raise their children. There is also a scientific and medical factor that I could get in to but I won't. Piers is so very opinionated and when people disagree with him he never does give them a chance to speak or explain

May 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • adeti putham

most people attack mother who work and put their child to daycare. it seems like you did a great job of raising your kids with your dedication. bfing is hard!

May 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Listen, if you breast feed your boy til he's 3 or 4 and u inevitably conclude that they're 'well functioning adults' you are delusional. My wife runs a daycare and has told me stories of you lot that think this kinda thing's cute and back each other up on this story. She tell me the real deal; how every single one of those kids is the whiniest, most cringing, lost soul until Mom comes back. One kid, the mom had to come to the day care and breast feed him at age 3 every 2 hours of he'd whine to death. And guess what? Those moms SWORE their kids were well-adjusted too.
      No – THE TRUTH? Its that there is an unhealthy need for MANY moms and a few dads to keep their little bitty babies as babies and you know what the yget? BABIES! Big grown up babies. the proof is in the pudding. My wife won't do comments or chat rooms but Ive been listening to these stories of these insane, usually white middle class moms destroying their kids with this whiny nonsense.
      This woman in Time Out? She seems sincere and is very likable. So she may be the exception to the rule – they always exist – but mostly, moms are cruel when they desperately try to protect their babies against anything and keep them cute and helpless.
      Good luck with that. Just pay the therapy bill later for all your wussy children

May 13, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Penny

I would like to comment about the story on the vaccines. Vaccines are safe today but during 1988-2001 thimerosal was put in vials as a preservative so when children had the shot or when a woman who was pregnant had a flu shot or a
    RhoGam shot for those women who are Rh negative. I am working on a study and have done a survey on Rh negative women with children with neurological disorders. There are so many of them. The autism rate went sky high and has now dropped since thimerosal was taken out of the vaccines around 2001. I would like your show to do a program on this. The results of my survey show it is significantly higher than those who did not have the shot. If you would like to know more about thimerosal, Eli Lilly manufactured it. Sen. Frist had a law hidden in the Homeland Security bill to not be able to sue pharmaceutical companies. Thimerosal is mercury and studies were done in the 1930's that proved mercury to be very dangerous. I have two children with neurological disorders because I was given the shot while I was pregnant with them. I did not have a shot during pregnancy with their older brother who is 10 years older and has a very high IQ. Three of my relatives have Rh negative and did not have the shot and have children with high IQs. I believe the people I am surveying. I am believing the results I got from the survey.

May 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rose macaskie

Penny, if what you say is so which it seems to be, then poison not genetics is the reason for some autistc cases and the families need not worry so much about being genetic carriers of autism my sister has two autistic boys. Also, looking for other poisons that pregnant mothers are getting or the babies might receive, maybe a way to reduce even more cases of autism than those that have dropped since they took thimerosal out of vaccines. rose macaskie madrid.

May 12, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adeti Putham

seriously? not again. stop this nonsense of vaccinations cause autism. or we would have mostly autistic kids. do we

May 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angel Mom

Penny- I am a Rhogam mom and I did an informal study on Rhogams Moms years ago. What we do know is mercury can reduce methylation of DNA, thereby releasing genes from their usual imprinting. So when you look for these Moms during your studies, LOOK for ALL those that have children with disorders caused by reduced methylation, along with thye children with autism. Mothers were INJECTED with mercury without thier knowledge.... How many of these babies are now paying the price. The fetus weighs about 2 lbs at the time the mother was injected with mercury, The placenta does NOT protect the fetus from mercury, the fetus does not have a developed blood brain barrier. Also remeber when doing your research, there was one manufacturer that was using rhogam without mercury. I assume those babies are healthy.

May 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tanis

Boy, Piers...Carson Daly? What a bore!!!
    There is a reason he is on late night.
    Something very creepy about him.

May 12, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. M EBux

The comments made by Piers Morgan Friday about extended breastfeeding was an opinion based on no research or knowledge of the topic.
    I come from a family of 5 children. We were all breastfed for different periods of time. My youngest sister breastfed at least 3 years. I use her as an example because she was breastfed the longest of all of us. She is now in her 40's, happily married and has two children. She had two full scholarships to go to college. She got a PhD in electrical engineering. She received a grant as a graduate student that paid her salary as well as two other students. It rare for a graduate student to bring in that type of money or money at all for their own research.Her knowledge is highly sought after by the Americans and British. I could go on and on. I can't figure out how my sister breastfeeding till she was 3 years old inhibited her in anyway. She is one of the more out going of all of us. I think the opposite of what Piers said against extended breastfeeding could be argued. Everyone in my family went to college. There are 6 BSs, 1 masters and 1 PhD between the 5 of us. 4 out of the 5 of us had money in our pocket when we graduated from college and we paid our own way. We all have a great relationship with our parents. 4 of us have been married for over 20 years. It's obvious that my parents form of parenting works extremely well.
    I happen to know a lot of people that were breastfed as children by parents that were very pro-breastfeeding like my parents. All of these children have a college degree....I know a veterinarian, pediatrician, 5 engineers , business major x 3, nurse...I could go on. Just to say..... everyone I know that was breastfed long term seems to be overly successful and not dependent on their family. They have a happy healthy relationship with their family and spouses as well. Breastfeeding longterm is just a small part of the picture, but to say it will cause some major problem is false. I'm not really sure what people expect to happen if you breastfeed longterm. The only problem I can see is uneducated comments being made by rude people.
    I am now beginning to see the children of my friends grow up and head to college. I happen to have had many friends that breastfed long term. We had parenting styles in common. It's very difficult to be around parents that are always critical and mean to there children, so I gravitated towards people that were kind to their children. Many of these children happen to come from homes that believe in attachment parenting and long term breastfeeding. I know of at least 4 children of friends that were pro extended breastfeeding that now have academic scholarships. These parents are not the same parents that push their kids to over achieve although it might appear that way. They are the parents that root for their kids and cheer them on in their endeavors. These children are terrific teens and a joy to be around. The younger children of my friends are doing very well in school and seem to be headed in the same direction as their older siblings. The children are confidently independent and were all breastfed well past a year of age. The main difference I see in these children from the homes of the parents that are attachment parents is the great relationship they have with their children. All of these friends and family I'm sure will just laugh when the hear Pier's comments. It really decreases your credibility Piers.You should get to know some parents with grown children that breastfed longterm and did attachment parenting. You might learn something that will benefit you as you parent your own children. Attachment parenting is not equal to permissive parenting, maybe that is where you became confused. I know nothing about the woman that was picture on the front of Time magazine but she is very well spoken and out going and "gasp" was breastfed till she was 6 years old.

May 12, 2012 at 4:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adeti Putham

well.. my sister was exclusively formula fed, but harvard medical school grad. listing degrees do not impress me much.

May 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • M EBux

You missed the point. It's not about whether people will have advanced degree or exceed in life with out being breastfed. I have many friend that have done very well andI know a lot of people with PhDs that were not breastfed. It WAS about a statement that extended breastfeeding does harm. It does not. That was my point. Piers was saying that it would and I was commenting on that.

May 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Keiki's Day Out

I was totally appalled by Piers Morgan's suggestion that (to paraphrase) he disagrees that you shouldn't tell mothers what to do when it comes to co-sleeping and breastfeeding....

ACTUALLY, Piers... that's EXACTLY when you SHOULD NOT tell mothers what to do. Whether a family choses to practice extended breastfeeding or co-sleeping is none of your business and is entirely based on what works best for the family. Since when did he become an expert on child development and parenting? I have found that no other parenting style besides attachment parenting works for me because when I look at my child, I know she won't be a baby forever, and I know I am her biggest advocate and teacher about the world around her. I will not let her down, I will not force her to cry herself to sleep in a dark room, and I will not deny her the breast because of the date on the calendar.

I was breastfed past the age of one and my sister was breastfed till one as well. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding till six months, and continued breastfeeding throughout the first year. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for the first TWO years of life. Breastmilk is created through an amazing dynamic of supply and demand, and the chemistry of breast milk changes to suit the child's age. Additionally, antibodies and immunities are passed back and forth to keep the child healthy while their immune system is still developing. Things like this can never be replicated by formula or WORSE... COW'S milk. It's easy to jump on the "Breastfeeding makes me cringe" bandwagon. You aren't putting yourself out there with a statement like that, there's plenty of it. But it's an ignorant stance to take.

I am a proud breastfeeding and co-sleeping mother of a 2 year old. My daughter is probably the healthiest happiest and most loved toddler in the world. How dare Piers suggest that he has the right to tell this mother what to do because "limits need to be set"... two days before mother's day no less. Stick to what YOU do Piers... which is what exactly, interviewing celebrities? Leave breastfeeding to the mommies.

May 12, 2012 at 5:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. clé office 2007

Excellent submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't understand this. You should continue your writing. I'm sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Good job.

May 12, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mary Helen

I really feel sorry for that kid in the picture. Really? CNN and so many of the other news channels have run stories on the impact of bullying on kids. It was very poor judgement on the part of the parents to not foresee that an image like that could potentially impact this child. I hope that kid made enough money from Time to cover the therapy expenses when he goes to middle and high school. Kids are cruel. Also, I thought the whole breastfeeding thing was a bonding and intimate experience with your child. Doesn't look too intimate, does it?

May 12, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keiki's Day Out

Right, when it comes to bullying, blame the victim. Blame the kids being bullied, and the parent's of the kids being bullied. That's pretty backwards. The blame for bullying should be placed on the bully... not the child, and not the victim's parents.

May 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mary Helen

I am only saying the parent's of this child could have used more prudence, scruples. You obviously did not read my comment closely. Did you read "poor judgement", "foresee", "potentially"? Obviously not.

May 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Keiki's Day Out

No, I read those. That's exactly why I responded the way that I did. Why is it "poor judgement?" Because they may "potentially" be bullied in the future?

I don't see what scruples could possibly have to do with this. Only in America do people have such an issue with breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding. And coincidently our infant mortality rate is worse than many third world countries (who co-sleep and breastfeed into the toddler years) Once again, it's the stigma that needs to change, not the act. Did you read that part?

May 12, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary Helen

Yes, I did. Let me state for the record that I breastfed all three of my children. Maybe my comment is getting lost in translation. I have nothing against breastfeeding. I don't even care if I see mothers breastfeeding in public. I did it because it was a beautiful experience. I am talking about this kid being plastered on the cover of a magazine. Yes, bullies are the ones who should be tried if they bully others. I am the first to shed tears when I hear about a child who take his or her life. You have misconstrued my thoughts. Let's just agree to disagree whatever we are disagreeing on.

May 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wut

I heard the best comment earlier that suffices and puts things in perspective without going on a rant, "Ask the kid what he thinks of the photo when he is 15."

May 12, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Chris

May 13, 2012 at 7:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • MB

I took care of a very "easy" baby one time. The baby never cried, complained or asked for anything. This was a developmentally normal baby at birth. What made this baby so "easy" was that it was never responded to when it cried. The baby learned not to cry or ask for anything. This baby was the child of two very sick parents that were dying. The baby was fed by nurses when they could fit it into their schedule. This is not normal and will not lead to normal development. There is research to back that up.
      Children that are responded to might ask for more by crying. They've learned that they are responded to. You might want to look into research that looks at feeding on demand and IQ. You might be surprised to find that the babies that are more demanding do better in life. Sure they might be more inconvenient to take care of in a day care setting, but it might be a sign that their needs are being met at home and they expect a response when crying.
      I'm not sure what you consider a functioning adult, but I know some long term breastfed boys that have happy marriages, college degrees, great circle of friends, nice retirement accounts etc. All the things that most people would say would qualify them as "well functioning adults" or maybe above average functioning adults. There are probably many of them out there trying to help others become higher functioning. You have no evidence to back up your statements, it is culturally biased.

May 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Keiki's Day Out

MB, thanks for responding to Chris better than I could. Another thing I would add is that children of breastfed mothers often suffer less ear infections, colds, and have better immune systems, while mothers who breastfeed have a lower risk for breast cancer, cervical cancer, and ovarian cancer. Breastfeeding is the NORMAL way for infants and even toddlers to a certain extent, to be fed. The most up to date pediatrician will tell you that food before the age of one is just for fun. It's just exploratory because they are still getting the majority of their calories and nutrients from breast milk. The benefits don't stop just because a child had turned one or even two. I am still breastfeeding my two year old, but she has "self" weaned down to once in the morning and once before bed all on her own. She is involved in many playgroups, insists on dressing herself, feeding herself, buckling herself in her in her car seat, etc, and it very independent and rather daring when it comes to the playground or the beach. The stereotypes and stigmas being reinforced by Chris's comments are very very sad to me to because I know some women will believe what he has to say and let it influence their breastfeeding decisions in away that is ultimately worse for their children's health and their own health.

May 16, 2012 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jane

Gay Marriage again? YAWN. It's getting so very boring to watch your show. Are you paid to talk about it on behalf of CNN?

May 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. madegram

Forget about the Time cover....I'm with Tanis....Carson Daly.....really, what a bore. Piers, have you ever
    watched him interview a person, he has no talent. I love his comment that he is proud of himself...if anything,
    he should thank his lucky stars that he has a job. And, yes he's creepy with his goodie, goodie persona....not
    buying it PIers.......who made you have him on.....really??

May 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mom of 4

By age 2 or 3 bonding time with Mom includes reading bedtime stories together, playing Candyland, making Play Dough creations, and working on potty training. I still have memories from the age of 3. If those memories included breastfeeding I'd be horrified.

May 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. sat nav reviews

I've read some excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you place to create this sort of wonderful informative site.

August 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. nursery items

Hello there, just was alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it's really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful for those who continue this in future. A lot of folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

August 13, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Delorse Quinerly

Experts recommend that children be breastfed within one hour of birth, exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months, and then breastfed until age two with age-appropriate, nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods...*:

Bye-bye