Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 15th, 2012

Ted Williams on shelters, soup kitchens: "People would remember me from those great days in radio...they'd be like what happened?"

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes author, radio personality, and internet sensation Ted Williams for a candid and revealing face to face interview.

Thrust into the public spotlight after his side of the road YouTube video surfaced in January of 2011, Williams was soon dubbed the "Man with the Golden Voice," as America became captivated by both his well-polished delivery, and his rock-bottom story.

Sharing a name with the legendary ballplayer, this Ted Williams suffered a series of strike-outs, much of which can be attributed to a curveball that is drug addiction:

"In 1988, as a congratulatory offer, some friends of mine congratulated me for having my first son," Williams reveals to Piers Morgan. "As being a father of a newborn boy, you know, I - that was kind of a happy moment. But it was laced with crack-cocaine. And they refer to them as premos, you know, reefer, marijuana and crack equals premo. And I kind of liked it, you know?"

After having once risen to great heights as a successful radio personality, the 54-year-old father of nine quickly sunk to the darkened depths of life on the street:

"It was terrible. I - I would go into shelters or - or various food lines, food - soup kitchens, so to speak," he explains. "And people would remember me from those great days in - in radio. And they'd be like what happened, man, you know? And I would always say smoke damage."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as the author of “A Golden Voice: How Faith, Hard Work, and Humility Brought Me From The Streets To Salvation," further details his downward spiral, and dramatic comeback.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. princess1960

hello Morgan i saw your show ..M JACKSON. case ..ok he was good preformes ..now is die...others use him monney. this is life . thank you.

May 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Arik Fetscher

Pierce is no diamond, one Morgan stood tall and accepted whatever may come the other cringed hid and hoped no one would find him. Go read pierce Morgan's book he admits to wire tapping then lied to the parliament, Jamie love him or hate him stood tall. Opposites not quite just entirely different people. Stick to twitter because unlike the rest of the team trying to make a difference you forgot the first step, helping your new team only required you telling. The truth about your old one and you wonder why Hollywood doesn't quite accept you? There are better ways to be a man than remain silent or lie down in the face of truth. Yeah accomplishments ahead of money, look up the real Morgan not this suedo one unwilling to stand up for anything.

May 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. shari robeck

piers i don't watch tv i am in a shelter with my children.But Ted Williams dosen't deserve the exposure that he is getting, he din't fight enough.All because of his voice,he wasn't a kid getting high he didn't wonder how am i goingtofeed my kids tonight like i do. I was wriiten up in the ny times and cooper andersons producer called me to go on the show talked to his producer for 2 hours and he said i wasnt desperate enough.i ahve had 2 surgeries thsi past year and my kids are honor students and they play basketball and dream of playing in the nba and wnba.I havent gotten a break i feel the pain of bring homeless everyday and night and can't sleep I NEED A JOB ASAP so that i can give my children a home. Why dosen't ted give back? A book i could write 2 books i have never left my children's side. Can anyone HELP PLEASE.

May 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lone

Deserving really has nothing to do with it in this case. The man is a fluke and his exposure ended up creating interest with the right people. Could more people use the help? A billion voices. many in the US right now, would say yes but they are not judging the man for his luck.

May 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Matthieu

Hey Pierse,
    I think you do great work!
    Last night's show on Ted Williams was very good. Just wanted to let how impressed I was that you were able to bring out the good, bad and ugly of the homelessness issue. Yah, Mr. Williams has his demons, but don't we all. To me there's very little difference between us and those who are on the streets. Just some have wound up without a roof over there head.., for whatever reason. You brought that out last night. Thanks Ted for being open in sharing your story. Even if it is to make a few bucks, I'm sure people and the issue of homelessness will benefit from what you have to say.

May 16, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • princess1960

yes PIERS MORGAN is one of the best preformes in tv show. have very beautiful and smart language.

May 16, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Who Dey!

Oh Puh-leeze! I saw Ted Williams in Columbus Ohio in early April. He was definitely not clean and sober. He and his gilrfriend were trying to buy cigarettes at a Kroger store with a gift card that had $0.00 balance left on it. He even tried to play the "Do you know I am?" card when the cashier wouldn't accept it. Everyone knew who he was because his hat had his own name on it.

Don't believe the hype! He's making the media rounds because he has smoked or drank all his money away. Once he gets a little cash, he'll disappear for another year until he's broke again.

May 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • GetReal

I never thought Williams deserved all this attention and praise. So what if he has talent? So do lots of CLEAN and SOBER people who are stuck in homeless shelters without jobs. With their kids!!! I'm disgusted that he chose to celebrate his fifth child's birth with crack cocaine. What an idiot and what a lousy father!

May 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Matthieu

Hey, I'm not in a position to throw stones at this guy no matter how ugly his life is or was. I'm kinda hoping that he'll turn things around and maybe give hope to us all who have messed up more than a few times. .

May 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lone

That sounds like anyone with an agent outside the Hollywood A-list. Addiction, the lifestyle, and the people that go with it, are a life long struggle to break from. Only fools believed that he was going to turn on a dime just because he was lifted out of the gutter. You can't blame someone, who having been that low, for grabbing at everything they can to make sure they don't return to it (however poorly they handle things).

May 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. shari robeck

WHO DEY YOU ARE SO RIGHT ITS; A BIG HYPE I AM HERE IN A SHELTER WITH MY KIDS NO DRUGS ALCOHOL MAKING SURE MY CHILDREN EAT AND HAVE CLEAN CLOTHES THE MEDIA SHOULD THINK ABOUT HELPING MOTHERS.

May 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Who Dey!

Thanks Shari! I just wanted to tell the world that I saw a person who still has a problem. Everyone loves to hear a "feel good" story now and then, but in this case, that's not the truth. Go Media!

Good luck to you and your family. I hope things turn around for you soon!

May 17, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. clavier arab

Its like you read my thoughts! You seem to know a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you simply could do with some p.c. to pressure the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

May 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply