Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 29th, 2012

David Letterman on his first post-9/11 show: "I remember not wanting to go back, not feeling ready to go back, but knowing we had to go back"

Beginning this evening, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes the return of "Guest Host Week," and it does so by inviting a pair of icons boasting a combined eight decades of television chops.

With the incomparable Regis Philbin keeping Piers Morgan's seat warm, the legendary David Letterman pulls up the guest's chair, as the two longtime friends fill the hour with candid commentary and engaging exchange.

As the topic turns to more serious matter, Philbin asks Letterman to review his first show following September 11th:

"I remember that night and I remember not wanting to go back, not feeling ready to go back, but knowing we had to go back," says Letterman. "And, you know, my concerns were minimal compared to people who...really suffered."

Admittedly uncertain about what was appropriate, the "Late Show with David Letterman" host says he took his cue from the mayor:

"I felt like Rudy Giuliani kept - kept saying go back to work, people - not to me, but generally...that we - we've got to live our lives and we have to go back to work."

Watch the clip, listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. as two of the most-decorated hosts in the history of modern television talk healthy and family, politics and cigar smoking.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Guest Host Week
  1. Just A Fan

I remember that night. Very touching words spoken by Mr. Letterman and Dan Rather.

May 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. L88RMNFN

Letterman is GOD

May 25, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. kerry

I wanted to rewatch that clip and I have to sit through ANOTHER commercial? F YOU CNN. So annoying.

May 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Fernv Dismukesj

Exceptional post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!

July 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. vino tinto

Great paintings! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared across the web. Shame on the seek engines for not positioning this post upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thank you =)

August 12, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. vino tinto

Excellent put up, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector do not understand this. You must proceed your writing. I'm sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me. Good job.

August 13, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. cartuchos para impresoras

Como consumidor, tiene alternativa a la hora de se trata de adquirir nuevos cartuchos de renovacion de tinta. Se piensa que los utilizadores son obligados a adquirir costosos cartuchos de tinta de la marca nombre del fabricante o la garantía de la impresora será terminada. Esto no es verdad – por ley, la utilizacion de cartuchos de repuesto compatibles que no anulará la garantía de la impresora. Puede, optan por comprar cartuchos de tintas compatibles más baratas o cartuchos remanufacturados, a menudo realizando un ahorro de entre el 50% y 75%. Todas las empresas de cartuchos de inyección de tinta más importantes tienen versiones de cartuchos de tintas compatibles, como Apple, Canon, Hewlett Packard, Lexmark, Brother, Epson, IBM y Xerox.

October 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. amy

I'm planning to write a literature blog, and I want to get as much readers as possible, even those who don't like books much, to be able to encourage them to read. Suggestions? No bashing please!.

May 3, 2014 at 3:39 am | Report abuse | Reply