Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 29th, 2012

David Letterman on Regis and Regina: "The two people who are the most important...you and my wife...have the same name"

As "Piers Morgan Tonight" celebrates another edition of "Guest Host Week," this evening Regis Philbin pulls up the host chair, and invites David Letterman to sit across from him.

Together the two good friends boast a combined eight decades of television chops, effortlessly filling the hour with candid commentary, and entertaining exchange.

A father of one, Letterman recalls a certain skiing story, involving his young son, and nervous wife:

"Regina says, 'I'm a little worried about this,'" explains the guest.

"And Harry said, 'Well, what are you worried about?'" he continues.

"And then Regina says, 'Is it slippery?' And then Harry and I laughed so hard, we just were out of - oh, the snow on the mountain? No. It's the new non-slippery snow."

Married in 2009, Letterman and his wife have been together for 25 years. To Philbin, it's her first name that's noteworthy:

"Every time you say Regina, you must think of Regis," suggests the guest host.

"You know, it's very odd, isn't it, that the two people who are the most important to me in my life, you and my wife, have the same name," agrees the seven-time Emmy Award winner.

"Isn't that nice to hear? Regina and I are very grateful for that."

Watch the clip, listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. as the two famous friends delve into everything from Johnny Carson, to going back on the air after September 11th.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Guest Host Week
  1. Craig

Greatest interview! Regis with Letterman. Regis should have a show on CNN...this is as real as people get!

May 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter Dunkin

Will someone PLEASE pass me a piece of pie.

May 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Rafat

Regis is a great host he should have as how on CNN

May 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Craig

Okay...well the best part of Letterman was the highlights from his show but Regis should be signed on with CNN. Sorry Piers but your jokes and comments are a little dry. Sign up Regis!

May 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dianne Roberts

This just makes me realize how much I miss Regis. I don't think a lot of people really appreciated how really good he was at his job until he was gone. Get back on tv Regis. We all miss you. Kelly seems lost without you. No one can replace you.

May 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Deborah lyons

Regis and Letterman what could be better!!

May 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. hanafitatawarna

Good Luck,..

May 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Craig

Thank you Regis. I didn't hear one negative comment, You never made a comment about "Americans" or "I don't understand why Americans don't travel outside of America" or "This country" You put on a great show classy and worth watching.

May 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Len Hunt

I just watched your show tonight with Regis guest hosting, Thank you for bringing Regis back to television. I have watched Regis since his show was a local show just in NYC.
    Let him guest host again. He is the best.
    I miss his daily contribution to my life.
    Thank-you Thank-you

May 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. LR Kesting

Regis is talk show. CNN needs an experienced talk show host. His timing, pace and questions, intros and exits to commercial are masterful.
    No one, nothing compares to his ability and experience.
    CNN are you paying attention to this? This is the most enjoyable 'Piers Morgan' show EVER!!!!

LR Kesting

May 30, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. S Beatty

Great show !! Does anyone know the artist and name of the song they closed the show with ???

May 30, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • miriam

Hi there, I am looking for the name and artist as well....did you find the answer yet?

June 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Scott

Not yet. Someone involved with the production of the show must know ???

June 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. : (

Rommey has dipped his hand into the pocket of King of Mr Sleeze Bag Donal Trump.
    Next he will be sending our young men an women in to war ..... It's all about lining his own pocket with $$$$$$$
    Shame, shame, shame. Next he will nominate Trump to be his running mate!

May 30, 2012 at 3:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. patricia

Loved Regis as the interviewer, reminded me of how much I can not stand Piers Morgan.
    Honestly consider eliminating Piers from CNN. I refuse to watch his smug and empty interviews. I am considering boycotting his sponsors too! I think CNN should stick to individuals with charm and appeal to the american audience, culturally in sync, perhaps not condescending. ANyone is better than Piers Morgan for that.

May 30, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. CAROL

Gelman are you listening. Regis is ageless. Gelman, you should be begging Regis to walk across the street from his home to the Live studio & host a few Live shows. The audience misses you & Kelly(as much as she is trying)is lost without you.

Regis you are irreplaceable.The never ending round of co-hosts trying to replace you are pointless. None can even come close. Kelly should just go it alone & hope you come by now & then to help her out.

CNN. Let Regis host again & again & again.

Latterman was very gracious. You can see the affection he has for Regis.

May 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. davecu

YAWN!!

May 31, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. win 7

thanks for you.buy win 7 home.

February 22, 2013 at 9:31 am | Report abuse | Reply