Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 14th, 2012

Michael Reagan on being abused as a child: "What came up was a naked picture of me, and he said 'Wouldn't your mother like to have a copy?'"

On the heels of the Penn State sex abuse scandal, and current trial of former coach Jerry Sandusky, this evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes Michael Reagan for his unique insight and personal perspective.

A Republican strategist and adopted son of former president Ronald Reagan, the 67-year-old was sexually molested by a camp counselor and shares intimate details of the experience:

"My abuser taught me how to throw a football, taught me how to throw a baseball, taught me how to do trampoline, taught me how to yo-yo, taught me how to do those things where I could impress my father, make me feel good about myself," he explains. "So he endeared himself to me, and then from that point, it just went to the 'nth' degree."

Speaking with tremendous courage and emotion, Reagan goes on to reveal the moment he opened up to the nation's 40th commander-in-chief:

"I didn't tell my father, until the occasion of my daughter Ashley's fourth birthday, at the ranch, in 1987," says Reagan. "My dad, I was literally, everything out of my body was coming up on his boots. And my dad said 'Where is he? I'll kick his butt.'"

Explaining to Piers Morgan that childhood incidents like the one's he endured can scar individuals well into adulthood, the guest speaks about the great lengths he went to in an attempt to gain a true understanding of himself:

"I walked away from God, I walked away from everybody, and I was so unsure of my own sexuality, that when I was 16 years of age, and not sure what people would see me as heterosexual or homosexual, I would steal money from my father's wallet, and go to downtown L.A., and buy prostitutes on Friday and Saturday night, because I had to prove to myself that I was heterosexual and I was a man," he states. "I did not know, and I was afraid to ask."

Watch the clip, and listen the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as the radio talk show host further delves into the depths of his experiences, opening up about the dangers of sexual abuse.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. phil saliga

Isn't about time the news media devoted as much time to the daily reports of teachers, counselors, coaches and others of the educational establishment as they do to other stories of abuse. Surely, the media can do better than trot out Ron Reagan periodicaly. I don't believe he is the only "expert" the media can find.

June 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • warrenlevine

Paying close attention, Phil? Read or watch the story again, depending on your ability.

That was MICHAEL REAGAN – the Republican; not RON REAGAN, the progressive talk show host.

June 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jADY

What do you expect!! Another Fox News program on CNN!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Debbie Cottone

My question is WHY didn't these assistant coaches who claim they saw Sandusky abusing these children stop it right there and then? I believe it would be a natural reaction of a sane rational person to help a child in such a situation. It wouldn't make a difference if the abuser was a "nobody" or the President of the US; I believe a normal natural reaction would be to intervene and save the child immediately! I wouldn't wait to go to my superior to tell them what I saw...not normal!

June 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • fofo

That same president, Mr. Reagan, was supported by the religious who are mostly child molesters themselves. Do you think he cared about his son? I don't think so. Reagan was a crook and an opportunist. No wonder he is the Republican hero.

June 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • debbie cottone

You are missing the point here. This is not a political issue, it's an issue of child abuse.......I believe the people that allegedly saw Sandusky in these horrific acts should have STOPPED him immediately; right there and then. I know that would be my reaction to this situation. What's up with that?

June 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. warrenlevine

Dear Proper English-speaking person:

THIS is neither the King's English, the Queen's English, nor ANY English:

"childhood incidents like the ONE'S he endured"

Where'd you learn to spell, Walmart?

#FAIL

June 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jeff

Hey, I'm pretty sure the dude is guilty too, but referring repeatedly to Sandusky's victims in the Reagan interview should be out of bounds for a serious journalist. I'm no fan of political correctness, but for now, the accusers are Sandusky's *alleged* victims.

June 15, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. worldcares

More people need to come out and tell their story.
    Victims need to speak up and get help so they have an understanding and perhaps give them some closure, if that is possible.

June 15, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. seppe

Talking about it's stupid, embarrassing, humiliating,etc.etc.etc. and would do nothing to change watt happen. the only thing to do is,if this kine of behave is considered a crime then MAKE IT CONSEQUENTIAL AND STOP PLAYING GAMES BY TREATING THE ISSUE LIKE A BUSINESS....put fear in society if you want positive result instead of filling the air wave with this kine garbage ....

June 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. seppe

The media is treading this specimens like superstars,it's time for a change of culture by the media before it's to late...

June 15, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. seppe

Watt is michael reagan gain by saying watt happen to hem 50 years ago ? is he on some kine of narcotic?maybe smoking?or is he looking for publicity maybe? or he is plain and simple idiot?.

June 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Name*jennifer Murphy maso

Mr Reagan being a child of abuse I cried along with you ! You can let the past go, forgive , move forward but as you said every now and then no matter how deep you bury it , it still haunts you ... I applaud you for being so open ... I felt a sense of freedom and release last night ... Thank You so much I feel your story will help a lot of us survivors of this horrible crime of stealing a child innocence ! God Bless ....

June 16, 2012 at 6:00 am | Report abuse | Reply