Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 20th, 2012

Mark Wahlberg on going back to school: "I know nothing about science...so, I'm going to start from scratch there"

Next week, Piers Morgan rolls out the red carpet, welcoming actor and producer Mark Wahlberg for a candid and honest primetime interview.

The star of such well-known films as "Boogie Nights" and "The Fighter," the Boston native dropped out of school at the age of 13, a choice he's admitted to regretting. Now, nearly three decades since that decision, the father of four has recommitted himself to hitting the books:

"The principal of my old school contacted me, from Copley High, and she said 'Hey, you know, we have this new program, and you can do it, on-line.' And I said, 'I'm in,'" Wahlberg reveals. "She said, 'Are you okay with talking about it?' I said 'Sure, we try to encourage as many people as possible to go back and get their education.'"

While filming his movies, Wahlberg will log in and learn between takes, and a tutor will help him navigate a full course load. The actor's newfound focus on eduction was met with words of encouragement and caution from his mother:

"She's very proud of me. But she says, you know, it's not going to be as easy as I think. And I know that, because I look at my daughter's third grade homework, and I'm like 'Ah...ask Mommy that question.'"

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in Thursday at 9pm EST as the 41-year-old shares details on some of his Hollywood colleagues, revealing those that he finds to be the most prepared and professional.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. patty Biller

Good for you, Mark. Having an education will help you talk to intelligent people, and not feel like a misfit. Kudos!!!

June 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. price

I I love this guy for what he's achieved and the fact that he's humble enough to admit he's still in need of a high school diploma. Good for you, Wahlberg.

June 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joy

Mark,

It is just inspiring the fact that you decide to go back to school. I got my doctoral degree from one of the top ten public universities of this country and left the field to raise a family right after I completed my degree in 2007. Now I am back on the job market since my son is almost 5. I feel like I know nothing about the field that I had studied for 5 full years.
    I see you as an inspiration to all of us specially to me that it is never to late to start from where you had left as long as you have the dedication and admiration for what you want to achieve in yourlife as who you are.
    Good luck with your study!
    Joy

June 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sheila

You said:

"specially to me" ?? "yourlife" ??

And you say you have a degree? Must have been a public school.

June 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • J

Sheila,

I should have read my comment once before I typed it. I assume you do online proof reading of comments posted by others with all the time you have .

Good luck

June 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • John with a Public School Education

What an arrogant, obnoxious and elitist troll you are, lady.

June 21, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. rose macaskie

You Tube is absolutely great for learning about science. Teachers have hung up their classes on you tube and you can chose the classes you prefer. Learning on your own is great, when you find something hard you can listen to the class ten times, with no one to get impatient with you and if you find it easy then you can just rush over it, you can do everything at your own time. If you find one teachers class incomprehensible you can turn it off and find another teacher and you can listen to the same thing told by various people, different teachers always give some useful new touch to what you are learning. Go go, the internet. I learnt about the atom on you tube and about chemical changes, I did not study physics or chemistry at school. rose macaskie madrid.

June 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. j

I have 2 years of college, eight years in the military and he still gets paid more than I do. Sometimes I wonder....

June 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pdog

no disrespect as I come from a military family and support the troops.

People as a whole spend millions of dollars to see his movies. When you can draw a crowd in this world you make a ton of money. Very few have a skill like that. While his work is not as noble as serving in the military you shouldn't hate on his compensation.

I mean, you didn't join the armed forces for the compensation right?

June 22, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sandra Bogdanovich

Kudos to you, Mark! What an example you are setting for young people to look up to...with all of your successes, perhaps the most important is still ahead...outstanding family man and role model.

June 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Kaci

That is absolutely awesome! Way to go.

June 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Carlyleu Szczepanf

It is the best time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I may just I want to recommend you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more issues about it!

July 14, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. business opportunities

Usually I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice post.

August 3, 2012 at 2:48 am | Report abuse | Reply