Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 4th, 2012

Allyson Felix on the elusive 200 meter gold medal: "This is the one missing thing, and it’s the thing that I really want"

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" gets down in the blocks with 3-time Olympic medalist Allyson Felix, inviting the 26-year-old to the program for a fast-paced sit down interview.

Gearing up for her third Olympic games, Felix is still seething from her second-place finish in Beijing four years ago, where Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown beat her to the tape by seventeen hundredths of a second:

"I’m always thinking about it. I practice just all the time," admits Felix. "I don’t want to get that thought out of my head, because it does motivate me. But it’s tough."

Well-decordated in her signature event – the 200 meters – the California native boasts a pair of Olympic silver medals, as well as multiple golds from the World Championships. However, until she climbs atop the medal stand on her sport's biggest stage, she'll always feel as though her career is incomplete:

"I’ve got to win. You know, that’s what it’s all about, like you said, I’ve done all this other stuff," she tells Piers Morgan. "But this is the one missing thing, and it’s the thing that I really want. So I need everything to come together at the right time."

Having first arrived on the Olympic scene at Athens in 2004, this month's London games will be Felix's third attempt at completing her running resume. Though she does have a gold medal thanks to being a member of the women's 4 × 400 meters relay team, it's the elusive individual prize that keeps her up at night:

"I’m just competitive. It doesn’t matter what it is. I want to win. And so that’s something that carries over to the track, and I just - I’m determined," says the only woman ever to be a three-time Athletics World Championship gold medalist in the 200 meters. "And so having these silver medals, every day I’m thinking about it. And it drives me. And I want that gold."

Watch the clip, listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m., as Felix details the specific treats she allows herself on the occasional day she cheats from her rigorous nutrition and training regimes.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Pride of America
  1. Brenda

Surprised at Allyson's arrogance and unforgiveness and lack of sympathy and compassion for Marrianne Jones. As a Christian, Christ calls us to have forgiveness toward others. Pierce, I saw your previous interview with Marrianne Jones and she expressed her regret and admitted her wrong. Ashley needs to be reminded of the scripture..."if not for the Grace of God, there go I". The young gymist that you interviewed demonstrated a much truer picture of humility and Allison.

July 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Yeah the Man

@ Brenda, If not for the Grace of God go I. Are you kidding me...God gave man the freedom to choose and Marion Jones made a bad and stupid choice. Allyson is a good person and shows self confidence and you see that as a negative. The Grace of God saves a sinner it does not stop people from making bad choices.

July 5, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. LW

@Brenda,
    Allyson wasn't arrogant at all. She exuded confidence but she doesn't haven't a hing of arrogance. She expressed how devastated she was to find out that her idol had cheated. I felt the same way. I was all in on Marion. And it's true what she and Piers said, Marion didn't need any PED's. She was head and shoulders better than everyone else. She made a poor decision. Allyson did nothing but answer Piers's questions.

July 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LW

Allyson wasn't arrogant at all. She exuded confidence but she doesn't have a hint of arrogance. She expressed how devastated she was to find out that her idol had cheated. I felt the same way. I was all in on Marion. And it's true what she and Piers said, Marion didn't need any PED's. She was head and shoulders better than everyone else. She made a poor decision. Allyson did nothing but answer Piers's questions.

July 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. TrackFan

Arrogant may be the wrong word, but it was troubling to me also that she displayed a sense of judgmentalism. I'd have preferred it if when asked if she had sympathy for Marion Jones, she'd replied that it wasn't her place to judge. Allyson's had quite a privileged life with two great parents (a school teacher and a preacher), great private schooling, a professional athletic sponsorship at 18, and an anti-drug coach. Others aren't always as fortunate, and if she chooses to reflect on her many blessings (many of which were blessings bestowed upon her, not of her choosing) I suspect her answers to similar questions will reflect less judgment and more humility.

July 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dave

Its always fascinating to observe the dynamics of talented power couples in the public eye. Allyson mentioned her boyfriend was transitioning from being a professional athlete into other endeavors. I googled him to find out what kind of great guy she's dating, but there's not much out there. Looks like he was a world-class athlete until 2007, but then the trail runs cold. What is his education and occupation?

July 6, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. maria

she can have her .opinions humility is right i agree with Track fan

July 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. TrackFan

Why did CNN shorten the actual interview they've posted? Were the criical comments by some of the posters enough to selectively edit the interview clip to protect Allyson's image? Did Piers Morgan personally sacrifice his journalistic integrity, did the CNN editors and producers sacrific their journalistic integrity, did the Nike mega-million dollar marketing machine force CNN to modify the video post, etc,? CNN - please repost the original full video and interview so viewers can get the full context of the interview and subsequent comments.

July 11, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. The Coconut

I would really like to see the entire interview. Can anyone advise where I can find it? Is it still available?

August 14, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse | Reply