Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 12th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Robert Blake on his wife's murder: "It's not the most significant thing in my life"

Last night Piers Morgan conducted a candid and at times combative interview with actor Robert Blake. Blake, who starred in “Baretta” and “In Cold Blood” recently released his memoir, “Tales of a Rascal,” but the conversation quickly turned to his murdered wife.

The former star, who was tried and acquitted for Bonny Lee Bakley's 2001 murder, became pugnacious when the host attempted to discuss the night of her death.

“What the hell are you doing?” Blake shouted.

Morgan attempted to assuage the actor by taking out his ear piece and assuring him there was no one coaching him to ask certain questions- an accusation Blake had earlier hurled at him.

“There is nobody talking to me,” Morgan said holding up his ear piece. “These are my questions for you.”

However the entertainer remained irate— not answering the question and ordering Morgan to instead tell him the events of the night. After the host reviewed a few of the details leading up to her murder, Blake and Morgan engaged in a bizarre and heated dialogue.

“Well, it sounds boring as hell, but go ahead,” Blake said bluntly.

“I don't think it's boring,” Morgan asserted. “Your wife got murdered.”

Blake then said that it was the questions themselves that were boring and people didn’t care.

The host replied that Blake had come on the show to promote the story of his life and this was probably the most significant part of his life. Blake again responded shockingly:

“Bulls***,” Blake exploded. “Personally, it's not the most significant thing in my life. The most significant thing in my life is when I was two years old and I found an audience.”

Blake continued to rant at Morgan:

“The next most significant thing is when I went to MGM as an extra and three years later, I starred in my first film,” he shouted. “There's nothing more significant than a little boy with no parents, no friends, nothing, walking into MGM and three years later, starring in his first film.”

Later in the interview Blake theorized on who might have murdered his wife:

“She had different places where she lived and nobody could ever find her, if they were looking for her,” Blake explained of his deceased wife, who he also called a con artist.

“But one day, somebody opened a paper and said, ‘Bonnie just married Robert Blake. Where does Robert Blake live?’ A couple of weeks later, she was dead.”

-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Mallory

This guy is a classic narcissist...everything he said was about him. He interprets all events as they relate to him and shows no empathy towards others. It was a case study in narcissim.

July 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Judy in Dayton

Well stated, Mallory. My thiughts exactly. Blake is a classic case study of narcism. ME ME ME! The hell with dead Bonnie. Look what they did to ME! He is a disgusting old ****.

July 14, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blake Fan

Mallory are you telling us that if you went through half the crap RB has in his life that you wouldn't be defensive? You call it narcissist, I call it defensive.

July 14, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Robert Blake was great . I loved how he exposed Piers Morgan for the pompous , stupid , phony that he is .

July 14, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jean

One thing is certain, LARRY KING Mr. Morgan is not. He has shown time and time again not to have respect for his guests. I am very disappointed with CNN.

July 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jana

It makes sense what Robert Blake is saying now. Why would he marry Bonnie and then kill her two weeks later. It sounds strange to me. I am starting to believe he did not kill her.

July 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • robert

I think he didn't do it himself but paid someone else to do it. The man is a lunatic and really stuck in the past with his "best years" over 65 years ago.... sad actually and he NEVER was a star in hollywood NEVER

July 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • robin

Are you insane? Robert Blake has always been a star, and an amazing performer. You are probably watching too much reality TV to know the difference!

July 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tim in Indy

Piers,

I have to say that was the most intense interview I have seen in years. You maintained great composure.

Well done.
    TIm In Indy

July 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aleta in Lansing

Indeed, Tim, Piers composure kept the interview together, focus on the issues permitting Robert Blake to reveal himself memorably. Piers' coolness under pressure significantly contributed to the interview having a beginning, middle and ending with two people over 21 still seated across from each other at the same desk. Kudos for Piers' ability to persevere for the duration.

July 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • kastemp

it wasn't a live broadcast don't forget
        and I bet cnn edited the hell out of it to make Piers look like an innocent bystander
        who knows what went on off the cameras to make Mr. Blake so distrustful and defensive

July 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • sara

Can't believe there is serious discussion about this "interview". It wasn't an NPR interview – it was/ is show business – for Pete's sake – for show, promotion, selling books, ratings, hype,...

July 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sarah

No substance – it's a pity. Piers Morgan interviews have become predictable and transparent vehicles for commercial purposes – including interview with Blake. I'd hoped for more from him.

July 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • carl hoenle

i am with you sarah...piers morgan is a hack...he plays nice with guests he already likes and suckers those he is predisposed to dislike...CNN should send him back to britain...he is a clown...ty for your comments was beginning to think i was alone...

July 16, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jose

MoNSTARonthebeatDecember 31, 2011hey @robertoblake2 thanks alot dude for pnutig this video out u pretty much coverd what i was mad about in like the first 5 seconds of the video by saying im gunna tell you what its like to be a designer now! im really lookin forward ta watching your videos about it because im actually looking into being a graphic designer i really dont know alot about the ins and outs of it but i kno it deals with creativity an that seams pretty cool ta me feel free ta check out my beats on my page too.

September 10, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Anita Beck

I have been aware of Robert Blake for over 30 yrs. His movie "Electroglide in Blue" was one that has stayed with me ever since I saw it. He has acted this way for yrs. When he would come on Johnny Carson, he acted the same way. He fully believes he is the only one in the world that can help him in his life. Maybe his childhood created this thought, but at his age he could have worked through that. He will never change & Piers Morgan should have known that & not continued to bait Mr. Blake in hopes of the reaction he saw. He will never change.

July 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kastemp

he grew up on movie sets and like he said he has been working since he was a kid and look what the success rate is for child actors back in those days

July 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. MK

Why is no report in any media stream mentioning the moment when Blake almost broke down; softened to the point of admitting he had been overly reactive? To me, that was the really revealing moment of the interview.

Piers, it did seem, tried to push him into a true melt-down; but in my view, Mr Blake held his own and maintained control. The swearing and posturing behavior is just him – always has been.

July 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah

Really? Why is no one seeing through this charade for promoting a book?

July 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Blake Fan

Sara, why would you call it a charade to promote a book? It wasn't a charade at all. Mr. Blake was asked to do this interview SOLELY for the purpose of promoting the book. The only charade was that Piers overstepped the boundaries of the interview agreement and wanted to tread on something not mentioned in the book – the murder of Bonnie.

I agree with MK, why isn't the clip of Mr. Blake nearly in tears being shown? Is it because that does not fulfill CNN's manipulation of the interview to make it seem explosive and therefore attractive to the public? The media has become GOD to too many viewers, they don't see the manipulation.

July 13, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
      • sara

Come-on! Robert Blake is an actor = antics makes the news = sells books. It's show-business
        and that's okay but, I'd prefer substantive programming. had hoped for more from Piers.

July 13, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pegi Robinson

The movie Robert Blake should star in before he dies,is his life story.His parents tried to kill him twice before he was even born,and as a child,he was hated by his parents.Yet he made his own success at a early age,despite all odds.But society pulled the rug out from under him again, when his wife was murdered and he was arrested for it.Even though he was found not responsible by a criminal court,a civil court was able to take all his money for the crime he did not commit.He lost all he had gained;money,friends and his family.Once rich and famous,now he is living alone in an apartment waiting on his social security check.He finally brings himself out of depression and thoughts of suicide,and writes a book, and is on the Piers Morgan show. Instead of celebrating his victory, Blake is once again fighting for his right to survive in this world.The truth he speaks,his right to defend him self and is bravery is mocked at and viewed crazy .The movie should reflect how horrible ,judgmental and brutal we can be as a society.

July 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blake Fan

Pegi you nailed it right on the head, I totally agree with you. Very well stated. Mr. Blake is 79 years old, I hope someone with the money and power to help him make his final film realizes the potential and helps him make a movie. And you are right, it should be about his life. It should also focus on the screwed up judicial system. He served 4 years behind bars – for WHAT? He did not kill Bonnie. Like he said, at the time he had millions of dollars, if he wanted to eliminate her he had far better ways to do it that would not have incriminated him in any way. I believe a woman killed her. Men don't normally use a 9mm gun.

July 13, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Robin

I agree 100% I never believed he was responsible for Bonnie's murder, and he was railroaded by an unjust system. I hope he reads this blog so that he knows not everyone has abandoned him. Love You Robert Blake!!!!!!

July 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharz

Pegi, well said!!!

July 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe Kinder

Well said. Good points.

July 14, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. J.C. KNOWLES

Although I usually enjoy Piers Morgan, he was out of his league with Robert Blake. Blake is eccentric, always has been, and has a multidimensional personality. Morgan attempted to turn the interview into a "one trick pony" and I can understand Blake's extreme frustration with the questions asked. It was as though Morgan had no script other than the Bonnie issue and could not think outside that box. Because Morgan is so "civilized", Blake looked nuts in comparison. I think Robert Blake has interesting things to talk about and has had an interesting life to share. Morgan did not even touch any subject of interest. Of course, Morgan is getting most of the hurrah which even further makes him believe he was right! Too Bad!

July 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack

I absolutely agree with your assessment. Piers had nothing to offer but "gottcha" and "ambush" tactics. I do not think he looked graceful at all. He was way out of his league and showed his true pathetic self-centered personality.

July 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jack

Piers is nothing but a phony third rate TV guy who did not make it in UK and moved to US. He was abuse to Robert by engaging in "gotcha" interviewing tactic – he should eb ashamed of himself. I am no fan of Blake but have occasionally watched this third rate TV guy who thinks he is mr. personality. His interviews are almost always intended to make him look good rather than getting to the substance. He would be well served by obsering a few professional news people like Chris Wallace, Brian Williams, Scott Pelly, Larry King, etc. etc. Grow up man.

July 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Margierose

Piers – shame on you for exploiting this senior citizen Robert Blake. He is obviously very bitter and hurting. You used tactics that made me so uncomfortable for Robert Blake. Asking someone that has been through so much pain in his life if he is "sane" is unforgivable of you. I am ashamed for you Piers. Thank you Jack for saying it best "grow up man".

July 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Zstephenson

Mr. Piers i love your show! Keep up the good work, I am always impressed by your ability to maintain professionalism even when interviewing idiots.

July 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. ASandor

I was appalled by Piers Morgan's behavior during the Robert Blake Interview. He clearly is only interested in ratings and was not really listening. He saw that he was upsetting Mr. Blake and he showed no respect. This was the first time I ever watched the show. It will be the last. The fact that the 'family' will be on next week is even more appalling. Surely, there are more important topics for the American Public than this. Shame on Mr. Morgan and Shame on Cnn.

July 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blake Fan

I agree ASandor. This was the first time I ever watched Piers Morgan and it will be the last. People here are blasting Robert Blake for being cold-hearted in this interview in regard to Bonnie but who was really the cold-hearted person? Piers. Blake showed every emotion he had – he was almost in tears and HE apologized to Piers. Who is the bigger person here? Blake. Who had a agenda? Piers. I am always amazed at the people who fall into the trap the media sets and follow along like cattle to the slaughter.

July 14, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. nardebangis136

Mr. Piers, CNN found a great replacement for Larry King on your person, the moment you removed your earpiece as Mr. Blake accused you, you represented, just made me to stand up as if watching a suspense thriller movie with my mouth biting my nail. Its very clear that Mr. Blake agreed to be interviewed by you on the condition that you will not ask any questions about Ms. Bonnie in particular. But you Mr. Piers nailed it in searched for truth. Mr. Piers, I bow to you, and for you Mr. Blake, I salute you. Hope to get a hard copy of your book.

July 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blake Fan

If it is true that the conditions of the interview were not to mention the murder, then Piers is an ass. However, Piers stated on the show that no conditions were set for the interview. And as Blake said when he went off on him, he trusted him. In other words, Piers broke a gentlemens agreement. I think he is a dirt bag (Piers) and will not watch his show ever again.

July 14, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. krystaal6340

I thought this was such a bad interview. I couldn't even look at the whole thing. Clearly Piers Morgan is not a man of great sensibility. However, seeing that he was making his guest distraught, he could have tried to dial it back a bit.

He didn't.

Robert Blake is a 75 year old man. Let me repeat, a 75 year old man. He has had a full and colorful life.

He wanted the opportunity to speak about that life and to hawk his book. Piers unrelenting obsession with one section of the man's life negated everything he had accomplished before or since.

Piers was not interested in Robert Blake the man, nor was he interested in hearing about his journey through this life or what he learned out of his travails in that life. By focusing the entire interview on that horrible and unfortunate murder, Piers stripped Robert Blake of the opportunity to present himself as a whole person. And he also denied us the opportunity to see how one person dealt with that level tragedy and loss in thir life.

Robert Blake's 'fall from grace' and search for redemption in his life is a monumental story' it is an epic story. And we missed it because Piers Morgan did not have the sensitivity to realize what was in front of his face and what he could have gotten from it.

Hate to say this, but this is where Oprah would have excelled. She would have recognized the gold that sher had in that interview immediately and she would have let us hear Robert Blake's story

July 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blake Fan

Exactly, Krystaal! "Piers was not interested in Robert Blake the man, nor was he interested in hearing about his journey through this life or what he learned out of his travails in that life." I would have loved to hear more about that journey and got a sneak peak into what is in the book. I probably would have gone on Amazon. com and ordered the book right away. But this rotten interview left us with no information as to what is in the book except when Blake kept trying to refer to it and Piers kept shutting him down.

I believe Robert Blake is 79 not 75. At his age, 4 years makes a big difference. :-)

Piers disgraced not only himself but CNN with this interview. I think they should pony up the money to help Blake make a movie and ask him for forgiveness!

July 14, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. sports fans l sport fan l the ultimate sports fan l best priced jerseys l fan store l jerseys l team sports l ultimate sports l team merchandise l fan page

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful info to paintings on. You've performed an impressive activity and our whole group might be thankful to you.

July 14, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Joe Kinder

I am 47 years old and have watched a Lot of interviews and that was the coolest one I have ever seen!

July 14, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. weight loss supplements l best weight loss program l best weight loss product

I do trust all of the ideas you've presented for your post. They're really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

July 14, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Flaxa

Rena Jarvis – I am the mama of the bride and I have to say these are the most wonderful piecurts ever. I feel like I am there. You did the most wonderful job of catching their expressions of love and joy. Thank you so much.

September 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Bubba Rydel

I've been reading and hearing how crazy Robert came off in this interview but after watching it, I have to say that he was concise, to the point, matter of fact, no nonsence and without any, as he would say "bs". Piers looked baffled and shocked that someone would actually challenge his insulting questions. I love the fact that somebody finally told this pansy ass punk to shut up. I wish Blake would've kicked his limey butt on national television....now that's television. Go Baretta!

July 14, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Av8orr

Piers Morgan is an absolutely pathetic interviewer, always has been. I can never understand how he landed this job. One of the worst I've ever known, and he brags about his experience in his introduction of the interview with Robert.
    Robert, guilty or not, took him on very very well.
    Piers tried to interview him as an acquited murderer, totally uncool and unprofessional.
    Please CNN find a replacement for this guy, there are many better qualified people out there worthy of such a huge show.

July 14, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. wuasabi.com

I don't even understand how I finished up right here, however I believed this put up was once great. I do not understand who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you aren't already. Cheers!

July 14, 2012 at 4:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. debt management l debt relief l personal improvement l finance l personal finance l wealth

Great publish, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist different customers like its aided me. Great job.

July 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. passive income strategy l online income l how to make money online l internet income

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I in finding this matter to be actually one thing which I feel I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very broad for me. I am having a look forward in your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

July 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. work from home opportunity l work at home l work at home moms l home based business

I am really inspired with your writing talents as neatly as with the format to your weblog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way stay up the nice high quality writing, it's uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one today..

July 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. diet l weight loss solutions l plan l how to eat right l lose weight l plan menus l nutrition

Someone essentially lend a hand to make severely articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the research you made to create this actual submit amazing. Wonderful task!

July 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. business credit, business lines of credit, business funding solutions

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you made blogging glance easy. The total look of your website is excellent, as well as the content!

July 15, 2012 at 4:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. annabel63

Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

July 15, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Le tour des medias et blogs du Burkina faso

I will immediately take hold of your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me realize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

July 15, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. kirstenx

Thank you, I have recently been looking for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the best I've found out till now. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the source?|What i do not understood is if truth be told how you are now not actually a lot more smartly-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

July 15, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. mandyxx

I'm extremely impressed together with your writing talents and also with the structure on your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a great weblog like this one these days..

July 15, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. jenniferxx

I enjoy, lead to I found exactly what I was looking for. You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

July 15, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Dave Rutledge

Blake shows himself to be an uncouth, self-centered ignoramus. Piers shows himself to be amazingly tolerant, man of character.

July 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robin

Don't tell me, you are not an actor! You obviously feel that showing any true emotion is , as you put it' "uncouth". Actors rely on raw emotion to perfect their craft, and Robert Blake was real with real emotion. Don't tell me, you have lived a charmed life and have been taught to HIDE ALL FORMS OF TRUE EMOTION. Showing true emotion takes much more strength than pretending to have none!!!!!!

July 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. mak money now,i want to make money,i want to make money now ,

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to go back the choose?.I am attempting to find issues to improve my site!I assume its good enough to make use of a few of your concepts!!

July 16, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. carolschleich

I had not watched Piers until the Robert Blake interview, but am a committed viewer now! I watched the re-run Sunday night, too. This was one of the most entertaining shows I have ever watched. While I realize it was Robert Blake that captured the stage, it must be noted that Piers kept his cool and thus contributed greatly to the interview. Great job! P.S. I was not aware of Robert Blake's book but am ordering it today.

July 16, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. man_on_the_street

The real question is why go after a respected former actor, mind you a senior one, and acuse him of murdering his wife when Piers knew well that he was aquited of the charge. It seems to me that Piers must not have respect for the US judicial system which is absolutely disrespectful of our country. Worse yet, in all interviews with celebs and government officials, there are prior agreements of the scopre of the interview and the forbiden areas. I know this for a fact because I have managed such interviews. So, why go into something he knew full well was not within the scopre of the interview – publicity. This is really low and clearly delineates lack of profesionalism on the part of Mr. Morgan.

July 16, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. cheap game keys

Thanks for the good writeup. It if truth be told was a amusement account it. Look complicated to more brought agreeable from you! However, how can we keep in touch?

July 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Casino poker education approaches to recognize gambling for starters. CardRunners are going to be time director from texas holdem educational. As well as her training sessions assortment holds just in case Only,500 poker video lessons, and people deal wit

Thank you for another great post. Where else may anybody get that type of info in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such info.

July 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Mike L.

Blake is a complete phycho/narcissist. He also has a big "Napolean" complex. I knew a friend of his named Nick Canela, and when I met Blake he told Nick, I hate tall guys. He is a very angry man.

July 17, 2012 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Feernnando

Oh my!!! These are all wonderful, but I have to say you saved the best for last that one is indercible and one she will cherish forever!OK LOVED the 1st one too!

September 10, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. darleneg

Preach Robert Blake! Set his azz straight!

December 3, 2012 at 3:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Aaron Bohac

When money’s tight, work-at-home opportunities can sound like just the thing to make ends meet. Some even promise a refund if you don’t succeed. But the reality is many of these jobs are scams. The con artists peddling them may get you to pay for starter kits or certifications that are useless, and may even charge your credit card without permission.`

My own web blog

April 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Anthony

I'm wanting to start a blog for my photography business. What free blog would be best?.

May 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply