Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 16th, 2012

Exclusive Tonight: Eric Dubin, civil attorney for the family of Bonny Lee Bakley

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes legal expert Eric Dubin for an exclusive interview.

On the heels of last week's captivating conversation with actor Robert Blake, tonight Piers Morgan hosts the civil attorney for the family of his late wife, Bonny Lee Bakley.

Though Blake was found not guilty of the murder of Bakley, he was found liable in a civil trial, as Dubin won a 30 million dollar jury verdict in 2005.

Tune in this evening at 9 p.m., as Dubin offers his exclusive insight, and unparalleled perspective.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Amanda

I never thought I would relate to anyone like Robert Blake, but 2 years ago our family was under assault by the schools and authorities based on lies and cover-ups. The kids that were the underlying problem very much followed the mob mentality. Two years of our lives were destroyed because investigations were not properly conducted by either the police or school, fact is they made the problem worse.
    In the end, the DA finally realized she was dealing with a huge liar as our lawyer began to show her evidence I slowly gathered up. After thousands of our dollars spent it was all dropped. NO APOLOGIES, NO NOTHING! I understand the deep anger. All it would have taken was a couple of phone calls in the beginning and a intelligent Superintendent who was not trying to cover for the several problems.
    Robert Blake needs to forgive like we finally had to do, but it is not easy; fact is it was the hardest thing I ever had to do in our situation. I know I was so angry I spoke in ways not normal to me. I hope Robert Blake can forgive and learn to speak without curse words.
    CNN BLIPPED THE CURSE WORDS. CNN LEFT ALL THE G-D's. ISN'T that INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • margerry bakley

Amanda, I know where you are coming from, honest , I do. , But please, do not compare yourself with a murderer. He wasn't found not guilty, the DA's office for what ever reason didn't prove their case to a star struck jury. Things are different in a criminal case and a civil case. For one, Blake had to take the stand in the civil case and proceeded to threaten to kill everyone in front of the judge and jury. Don't be fooled !

July 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jill

Well, yeah, he was found not guilty. The DA didn't prove their case because they didn't have one. As far as threatening people in the civil trial, people threaten to kill each other all day long, it doesn't mean they're capable of actually doing it. And why are you so sure that he did commit the crime? Were you there? Were you a witness? A judge and jury heard all the evidence and found him not guilty. There's a term called transference where people put on others things they are themselves. If someone accuses someone of being a liar, it's a good chance they themselves are liars. I can only imagine that all the people who say he's guilty are capable of murder themselves.

July 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • margerry bakley

Dark side of humanity, we are all capable of murder , but few cross the line. Being that I was in constant contact with my sister ... yeah I can say with the utmost confidence .. He shot her in the shoulder as she pulled away from him , then he went in for the kill and shot her in the head ! Then he threatened each of us (her family) with the same. So yes, I do know what time it is.

July 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Don

First of all Ms Bakley, Amanda is referring to herself, and others, being falsely accused of crimes. Not a civil case. District Attorneys do not initiate or perfect civil cases. They strictly prosecute criminal cases. Apparently, she and her family were targets of a fraudulent criminal case. Just like Robert Blake, whom the jury found was not responsible for a crime.

Amanda is not comparing herself to a murderer, Robert Blake. She is comparing herself to a person who was falsely accused of a crime, ala. Robert Blake. She was further pointing out that she did not have, or get, anything in a civil action, like you did. You're right that you can't compare a civil case to a criminal case. The standard of evidence to prove a civil case is very low. Also, in a civil case, there are certain people who are privileged such that they are immune from civil liability for their actions, like the District Attorney.

She and her family were falsely prosecuted, just like Robert Blake. It (the prosecution) destroyed their lives and they didn't get the luxury of suing the people responsible for that destruction. You felt that Robert Blake destroyed the Bakley family's lives. What Amanda said was there was nowhere to obtain any compensation for the destruction of their lives. You got a judgment against Mr. Blake for his alleged destruction of your family, for something he didn't do (wrongful death and related actions are tort actions of negligence).

She was empathizing with Robert Blake because she now sees how a person can be falsely accused of heinous crimes and have their lives ruined because those making the accusations (government) are only doing so in order to cover up their own negligence, incompetence, and fraud. Just the same as occurred in Mr. Blake's case.

July 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gordon

Just like O.J. Simpson, Blake only got off due to a very slick legal team. The fact remains that they are both guilty of the crimes with which they were charged. Naturally they deny everything. Do you really think they are going to stand up and say "Yes, I did it, but my lawyers managed to thoroughly confuse the judge and jury.' ?

July 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • margerry bakley

Yes, Indeed !

July 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jill

I don't think anyone could write a book and promote it if they had actually murdered their wife. I really don't. I think all this speculation is silly. He was found not guilty because he was, not because he had a slick legal team.

July 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • margerry bakley

Naive !

July 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • margerry bakley

Yes Don, thanks for explaining that to me.

July 17, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

WOW! That's one slick legal team! Able to confuse 12 jurors and a judge! But, they didn't outsmart you, Gordon. No no. You were there for the whole trial, right? You even sat at sidebars and in chambers. I'm impressed! You know what? I think you convinced me to change my vote to guilty! [eyes rolling out of head]

July 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sparrow

Bonnie was killed by a drug-buddy of Christian Brando's named Mark Jones, who got the Walther P38 that killed her from another drug-buddy, the stuntman 'Duffy' Hambleton, who openly stated, "I set up Robert Blake a little too well".

July 16, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • margerry bakley

Blake bought the walther at a gun show and had taken photos of bonny posing with the gun and this was in Nov.2000, she was freaked out about it when he wanted her to point it at her own head for the camera ! photos never found ! story told to me by Bonny the same evening she took the photos. he is not innocent of murder he was let off the hook by a starstruck jury that had their own agenda. As far as civil suit , no one but her four children recieved a penny and that to date is approx. 10 grand each. woo hoo worth losing your mom for ?

July 17, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elaine

I agree with you Sparrow. I keep posting and I guess the sister keeps complaining to remove my comments.....google bonnie and see what kind of person she was. the woman married and proceeded to have children with her 1st cousin. sick.

July 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. worldcares

I didn't see the interview.
    I hope you replay this episode on the weekend.

July 17, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

I'll save you the trouble of watching, worldcares. The interview is 4 minutes long, and 99.9% of it is horse manure. I tried to post my backup information two times (I spent a long time on it both times) but for some reason it didn't post. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Just know, I am very very familiar with the case and the truth, and what came out of Mr. Dubin's mouth isn't it.

July 17, 2012 at 4:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • margerry bakley

Yes Susan, I am sure you know more than Eric Dubin ! hahahaha Die hard fan or court tv blogger ?

July 17, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. Concerned

Both Robert Blake AND O.J. are as guilty as sin. Both got away with murder. But we got O.J. though....eventually!

July 17, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • margerry bakley

I'll purchase Blake and anyone of his die hard supporters a one way ticket to Vegas and hope for some justice Vegas style !

July 17, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Elaine

So....justice Vegas style......careful now...that could be taken as a death threat. .........try googling your sisters name....find me one positive thing about her. She accused how many men of being the father of her children.......and it was someone else?

July 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • margerry bakley

I was referring to Oj in jail in Vegas and the possibility of the same for Blake. Two men , She was dating Christian Brando and Robert Blake with Rose and . Jerry Lee Lewis and her then ex-spouse Paul whom she still lived with Paul with Jeri. Not much good news on the internet as you Elaine and a few of your friends over shadow any google/yahoo search with your negative unfounded rants and raves that you old Baretta fans like to do.Just because you liked his show doesn't mean he is that person, he is not Baretta. And if you all actually heard the things he used to say about his fans, especially ones that have the nerve to actually speak with him. You are still attracted to an abuser, get help before you make another serious mistake. Moving accused murderers in with your children is a reckless way to learn the truth. He was also violent to his first wife, you would not be treated any different.

July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

"We?" Come on Concerned...give yourself credit where credit is due! Whiich member of the legal team are you that helped put OJ in jail?

July 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. HearYe

Blake is one sick puppy, guilty as OJ, and unfortunately is not capable of any kind of remorse – – – a bullet in the cranium is all he is worth. POS.

July 17, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • margerry bakley

Whats good for the goose , is good for the gander !

July 17, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Elaine

I'm sorry your sister is gone, but stop accusing someone who seems to be not guilty. No one was star struck. The man's career was cold in it's grave. You cannot sentence a man for a crime he did not committ. That's wrong. Your sisters lifestyle caught up with her finally...as it does all people who live as she did.

July 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Elaine

I am so confident that Mr. Blake is not guilty that I would offer him a place to stay in my home with my children and myself. I believe that strongly that he is not guilty of this crime. Please.....don't paint me with your sisters brush either..I'm not "star struck". I just despise injustice. I left a husband who was ruthlessly cruel to me and abused me often and pulled off this alter ego in front of people while he was a monster behind closed doors. I'm on the side of the victim always. He is FURIOUS, rightfully so at being accused of something he did not do. I don't have the big nice house I left when I divorced my ex, but Mr. Blake would be welcome to whatever I have.

July 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Denise

Elaine I do agree with you. Robert Blake is not guilty and it was proven in court. He was angry because of all the abuse the police and everyone else put him through. Okay, so he's rough around the edges that doesn't make him a murderer. The jury was not "starstruck" either. I really want Mr. Blake to be able to make another great film. He's innocent – do you hear that Hollywood? Everyone I've spoken with wants to see Robert Blake in a great film. We are sick of watching these cookie cutter studio films and sequels. Give us a film with more substance and put Robert Blake in it. A great actor who deserves to be respected.

July 18, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Elaine

Margerry, Please don't mistake my belief that he did not pull the trigger to be some star struck anything. I wasn't a fan, I was a tiny child when he was a popular actor. I have no attraction to him in any way. I'm 6 inches taller and 40 years younger. He's not even a great actor. Seriously the only thing I can remember of his show is that bird. I very much so believe you need to blame someone tangable. he's a short guy, short guys sadly do tend to have complexes. I"m not saying he's a great guy, but I don't think he's a murderer. Usually guys like this talk a lot of talk but when it comes to it they're cowards. By all accounts, he's a jerk. Please, put the blame on the guily person. Your sister lead a very drama filled life that involved disrupting a lot of other people's life. I too have a sister who lived that kind of lifestyle sans the famous people of course. She ruined a lot of peple, told a lot of lies, constantly tried to play victim when she was the person at the core of the trouble. she has been married 5x and blames each ex for the breakup when she is the common denominator in that mix. I love her because she is my sister, but I know who she is and know the lies she is capable of telling and the trouble she likes to create. I would open my home to you as well. It has nothing to do with Robert Blake being an actor. That doesn't impress me. Like it or not, Bonnie is not potrayed well. If she was a different person than she is being labled, let us know so we dont all have this notion in our head of all the junk on the internet. She did not deserve to die for being the kind of person she seemed to have been, but Robert Blake doesn't deserve to answer for a crime he didn't committ. Again, I was the victim of a brutal abuser whom no one believed would harm a fly. I know that end of it very well. I"m not saying he's a good guy, I'm saying he's not a murderer. You're a good sister and probably a good person. Focus on the person who admits he set up Robert Blake.

July 18, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. phenphedrine

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

September 1, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse | Reply