Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 20th, 2012

Aurora theater shooting victim Jamie Rohrs, thinking of his girlfriend, and their children: "Please let them get out alive"

In the wake of Friday morning's deadly shooting at an Aurora, CO movie theater, "Piers Morgan Tonight" dedicated it's entire episode to a live broadcast featuring the latest details, as survivors offered perspective and insight from the harrowing ordeal.

Joining Piers Morgan live, parents Patricia Legarreta and Jamie Rohrs spoke of escaping from the cinema with their four-year-old daughter and four-month-old son, as shooter James Holmes opened fire.

Reliving the terrifying event, Rohrs recounted the frantic moments:

"I find myself standing... my son is on the floor... and I lose him," recalled a distraught Rohrs, who had been separated from Legarreta and their children. "Please let them get out alive."

Although Lagarretta was shot, her injuries were not fatal, and the children were unharmed.

Later in day, reunited with his family, and less than 24 hours removed from the life-altering episode, Rohrs created even more drama:

"He just looked at me and he said 'I know this isn't the time or place,'" revealed Legarreta, "'but will you marry me?' And I said 'yes.'"

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Morgan and his guests further detail a day which featured the largest mass shooting in U.S. history.
-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Jayna Hunter

You need to read some other interviews of this coward. He set the baby on the floor because he was crying and he was afraid the crying would attract the shooter's attention and get himself shot. He jumped off the balcony, abandoning his 2 young children and girlfriend, he GOT IN HIS VEHICLE AND DROVE AWAY. She reached him on a cell phone and he came back to pick them up. COWARD, and she needs to COMPLETELY rethink her decision to marry him.

In addition, another young man saw her with his 2 kids and he got shot in the thigh laying over them and trying to protect them. She doesn't mention his herioc actions!! I unfortunately forget this young man's name, but it needs to be published and praised, while Rohrs actions need to be criticized!

July 20, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Hunter

Jarell Brooks, 19, is the name of the young African-American man who got shot while protecting this woman and her children.

July 21, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Melissa

wow the kindness and bravery of strangers.

July 21, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Something to say

Jayna Hunter – Thank you for pointing out a REAL hero in this tragedy (and may I note that this is the FIRST that I've heard of this young MAN).

CNN should be vilified as much as Jaime Rohrs – both are cowards. The mother, Patricia, should be ashamed for not acknowledging that someone OTHER than her boyfriend tried to protect her and her kids. Patricia & Jaime are a match made in heaven. God Bless their kids....

CNN – you have once again proved what a trash outlet you are. Clearly, anything for ratings. My tv will no longer turn to your channel. You are disgusting.

July 21, 2012 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
      • amylynnmilam

I have watched and read NUMEROUS interviews of this couple and NOT ONE TIME does she mention Mr. Brooks or what HE did to save her and her children. In fact, we would know nothing of it if someone hadn't witnessed it and mentioned it to another interviewer who then went over and asked Mr. Brooks about it. It was ONLY THEN that he even told about it. (And yes, he had been interviewed previously and never even mentioned it! Then, the interviewer who found out, went to confirm with the "lady" about what happened and to get her name. ONLY THEN did SHE mention it. And WORSE THAN THAT, she gave her cowardly boyfriend all the credit.

I have now made it my personal mission to go to EVERY SINGLE ONE of their interview page online and list what REALLY happened. If possible, I am also going to try to contact the errant reporters, since I am sure they will want to correct the lies in their stories. I plan to do this no matter HOW long it takes, whether days, weeks or months. (After all, I am disabled and in bed all day anyway. I would love to do something for someone else while I am laying in bed. (Wait, a minute....that last sentence came out wrong! LOL!) But anyway, you know what I mean, and I am glad I can do ths kindness for Mr. Brooks, the REAL HERO!

One last thing.....if someone legit posts an account for this guy like they did for the bus moniter, I for one will be glad to contribute to show this man that there are other good people in the world.

July 21, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
      • Bryansco

Why did you need to put that Jarell Brooks is African America? Either way he is a HERO, while the dad of the two kids is disgrace to what a real father should have done, which is stay at his childrens' and girlfriend's side and protect them! What a selfish individual. Thanks dad!

July 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Teresa

I have seen this guy discussing his escape on numerous broadcasts. Maybe he feels the need to defend his "man card" because he realizes how cowardly he acted–and how his actions totally defy the instincts of most parents and someone who supposedly loves another. I couldn't believe it when I heard about Jarrell Brooks and how he–a complete stranger–risked his life and took a bullet for this family (or what was left of the family after the sperm donor left them behind). They never even mentioned Jarell Brooks! This has to be rectified immediately. Thank you, amylynnmilam and others, for your crusade to spread the word! :)

July 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meme

I see some are mentioning or asking why did you have to say that he's African American, but I know why you did. The media always shows the negative side of African Americans when something bad happens but, as in this case, unless you saw him, you might not know that he's black. It's just just a confirmation that yes that are great black people in this country, not just the negative ones you see on tv all of the time.

July 21, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bryansco

@Meme, please shut up with that crap! While the media has not always portrayed minorities in the most positive manner at times, it is not 'always' as you suggest or think! Again, Jarell Brooks is a HERO regardless of his skin color and Jamie Rohrs is a SELFISH COWARD!!! You need to get over the fact that there are racist a- holes in this world from all walks of life and you and others are not going to change that with some people.

July 22, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Jayna Hunter

Meme, it is as you say. I mentioned it because the media seems quick to say bad about minorities, while they coddle caucasians (I am white, female, North American caucasian, university educated). Look at this particular criminal: They are saying he was in med school, he had honors, etc, etc, whereas had the criminal been a minority they would have said, "we haven't determined if this is gang or drug related yet, but we're looking into it!!"
        So that is why I mentioned his race along with his positive action. Too few people write about the positive accomplishments of minorities, and are all to eager to write negatives about minorities. I choose to be positive.

I didn't think Bryan was worth replying to at first, but when I saw his ignorant reply to you I wanted to assure you that you were correct, and there was nothing wrong with your reply, either. Ignore the obvious troll.

July 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bryansco

I like how you are looking for possible racism in the media with this situation when it may not even be there. It seems to me you like to stir the pot when it does not need to be, or atleast not in the situation. Who cares that you a North American white female who is college educated. What does that have to do with anything? Is it to let others know that you are white and that are aware of biases in the media and society in general at times with minority populations? I am also aware of it at times if you do not think I am, but I do not think this is the case here. Also, you DO NOT know 100% what they would have said if the shooter was non-white. So quit making up things or what you think 'might' have happened it the tables were turned!

July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Janet

This article should be about Jarrel Brooks and his courage!

July 24, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Amy

Amazing...thank you so much for posting. This NEEDS to be publicized to praise that man!!!

July 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • prestonhaith

@Jayna Hunter and amylynnmilam...just so y'all know there is a new facebook page that was created t call out Jamie Rohrs for exactly what he is, a COWARD. It also has videos of the interviews with Jarell Brooks. https://www.facebook.com/JamieRohrsTheUltimateCoward

July 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Charms

This is the fifth time someone has brought up his race. Can't he just be a hero?

July 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

wow. Seriously? Thats disgusting. I wouldnt be able to live with my self if I left my kids like that. smdh

July 21, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Itsme

I used to have nightmares when I was pregnant about "what if this" and "what if that" ..Would I think to protect my child. Thank God it is Instinct in common decent people.

July 21, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Brenda

What a disgusting human being he is. She has got to be insane, or still in shock to agree to marry him. He left her and their children there to die!!!! He should have thrown the kids to the ground and covered them to protect them, not jump and run. I don't know how she can sit there on public television and admit that she's still with the man that has no desire to protect his children or her. She's just as pathetic as he is.

July 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Itsme

what a shame. and im not trying to sound old fashioned here, but its so "romantic" to have a few children before you decide if the mother of said children is worth marrying. kudos to the man who risked his life to protect another mans family!! I hope he recovers soon!!

July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Elegia

I don't believe that the 4 year old is the daughter of Jamie Rohrs. The first time he refers to her in this interview (prior to where this clip begins), he refers to her as "our stepdaughter".

July 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDR of St. Louis

Thank you for expressing my dismay in listening to the Piers Morgan interview. What a coward! His girl w/ a gunshot wound – gets BOTH kids and makes it out alive while the dad left them, got in his truck and drove to the mall. What the what?!!! Patricia – you obviously don't need him for survival. While I'm glad all worked out – sad he left his 4 month old on the floor.

July 21, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Crouch

I agree with you a hundred percent. Ironic we have the same name...lol. I was disgusted hearing him tell this story. At first I thought he was saying he got out with the baby then when I realized he left the baby as well as his daughter and mother of his children. I told my husband if he did this I would divorce his butt and he would never see the children again. As far as I see it a judge should rule this man as a unfit parent. What a selfish act!! I do not know who I am more angry at the psycho or the self absorbed man.

July 21, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue Tervonen

The story changes with each iteration... and never is there a mention of Jarrell Brooks, the real hero in this story.

July 21, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sue Tervonen

I hope Jamie and Patricia learn and grow from this... that character is who you are when all hell breaks loose. Jarrell already knows.

July 21, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • : )

Why are we not hearing more about this beautiful young Jarall Brooks ?

July 21, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Cactus Lil

Here's a couple:

and

He definitely deserves a LOT more attention than this loser Jamie Rohrs.

July 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • GAL

Jamie Rohrs did NOT abandon his family! Poor guy was only a clumsy sod who tripped and fell into a lifeboat!

July 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Heidi

How did you come up with THAT theory?

July 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • GM1953

He not only dropped that baby on the floor, abandoned it, He ran outside and DROVE AWAY! He came back when she got outside and called him on cell phone and said "hey where are you"

July 23, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
      • rob H

He is referencing the ship captain from the Costa Concordia, which struck a reef off of Italy, Heidi. Get a clue. Very funny though. Rohrs, what a coward

July 24, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Heidi

I know about that–but don't see how he thought that was even a "fun" comparison.

July 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erika Nazario

I absolutely agree!! The young man you speak of, Jarell Brooks, courageously stood over this young woman and her children while her fiance waited in the parking lot. And then drove away and hoped from the safety of his vehicle that they were ok..what a great guy!! I cannot believe that she would accept his proposal after such an obvious display of pure selfishness. You could read the full story about this coward on mailonlne.com.

July 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • steph

you tricked me, there's nothing on mailonlne.com

July 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Damon

Exactly! Piers is making this guy a hero when he is selfish and a coward. A parent NEVER leaves a child that is in danger. This guy gets in his truck and leaves the girlfriend, his son and her daughter in danger! Thank twice about marrying this guy my friend. You can DO MUCH BETTER THEN HIM.

July 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • debbie

why are there children at this thing????

July 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

They didn't even mentioned Jarell Brooks! INSANE! They should be ashamed of themselves. And nobody pressed the coward! He wants press attention for being a coward.

July 22, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deborah Jirasek

I agree. What kind of father abandons his 4 mo old like he did? Not to mention leaving the mother of his child behind. This woman needs to think really hard. I think he proposed all of a sudden to draw attention away from the terrible truths of what he had done. What a loser. Other victims had the frame of mind to shield their loved ones, and they were much closer to the gas, at the front of the theater. I don't believe for 1 minute that he was disoriented to the point of not protecting his "family".

July 22, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jill

no doubt! i would be!

July 22, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr. Iris Mack

I posted several articles about my new hero Jarell Brooks on my blogs and on my Facebook wall:

July 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bill

What an amazing coward! His name will now forever be synonymous with cowardice!!!

July 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cammy

I am flabbergasted at the lack of followup by anyone,. With so many legitimate heroes in civilian and uniformed roles, how can one person be so gutless and not be called out,much less continue to be booked on different shows? You could tell the woman was furious as she listened, her throat and neck was getting red and her face was frozen, I hope she realizes that seething hatred she felt Friday night is only going to grow. That young man is without a doubt the most disgusting mess of human kind I have ever seen, and now to find someone else actually was a hero and helped is all the more distasteful. Please Piers address this again via followup.. Perhaps that type of fight or flight study can be studied by someone studying neuroscience on government time in the future. One more thing, It is bad enough to not worry about the four month old being shot but to leave him to be trampled to death in a darkened and gas infested theatre by people panicking to get out, That sounds like child endangerment to me,

July 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nellie

Would everyone contact the Aurora police business number and request a full investigation. Make a request that these two imbeciles loose their parental rights and these children are freed for adoption to parents who will honor and protect them. For those of you who are better qualified than I on the internet, please contact all the major television stations, Pier Morgan, Nancy Grace, The View, Ellen DeGeneress and request they honor the young man who protected these childrens when the father lost a 4 mo. old and left the scene prepared to hear the worse.. Lastly, contact the Aurora City Governing Office and request they honor this young man with a key to the city. Let's shame this coward's family. I'm sure his parents are proud they raised a self serving individual.

July 24, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bryansco

Janet, I TOTALLY agree and not wasted on such a coward as Jamie Rohrs!

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • prestonhaith

July 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • abillups

Thank you Jayna for your post! I've seen and read so many articles about this couple and they just sicken me! Mr. Brooks is the REAL HERO of this story, not these two people, especially the boyfriend who left his 4 month old baby on a dirty theater floor to die! Shame on Piers Morgan for focusing on them and not Mr. Brooks!

August 1, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. drperlmanplasticsurgeon

I think Piers should find and interview the true hero of this story young Jareli Brooks. This young man joins the ranks of Captain Sullenberger IMHO.

July 21, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kat

That's exactly what the host of this show should do...interview the true hero, not this baby daddy!

July 21, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donna K

PIERS MORGAN – INTERVIEW JARELL BROOKS!! Don't give this coward, Rohrs, another minute of air time. Interview the MAN who saved this woman and her children. A stranger had more concern for these children than the sperm donor (yes, he's not a father, a father would not have abandoned his child). Not only did he put his four-month-old on the floor to be trampled in the mayhem, he left the theatre and DROVE AWAY!!!! The mother had to call him on the cell to come back and pick them up. She's an IDIOT.

July 21, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sandy

That man was a coward, thankfully the mom was brave for her children.

July 21, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • kat

the mom's an idiot for marrying him and dishonorable for not mentioning Mr. Brooks saved her and her kids. The boyfriend would throw them out of the lifeboat to the sharks if he thought it was sinking and less weight would save his life. Another example of someone taking the limelight for themselves instead of doing what was right.

July 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • sarah C

Didn't you get the feeling when he was crying and describing how he left that he didnt' realize what a coward he was? He was more intent on describing how scared he was. He described how hard it was to breath. Didn't he think it would be hard for his baby to breath? I can't believe this woman would marry him. If she does, she's as stupid as he was.

July 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jo

Jamie Rohrs is a coward. I hope his 'fiancee' watches this tape and it dawns on her what kind of a 'man' he is. God bless Jarrell Brooks for coming to her aid!

July 21, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. GloryB

Wow. That was embarrassing. And somewhat appalling that Piers just let him ramble on like that. Journalism today is in the toilet.

July 21, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lisa

I am so upset over the shooting and feel forLY the victoms. I just watched the interview with the Rohrs Family and wonder why they had children at a theater at midnight. The Mot

July 21, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • growup

Why on earth would you take a four year old and infant to see this movie, let alone a midnight showing? Those kids should have been in bed. Just shows what kind of stellar parents these two are.

July 21, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Wake up.

It's because irresponsible can become pregrant and father babies like the Puppy Mill.

July 21, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. kat

Look at her face at 1:22...she knows, he left his family in harms way. Thank god for the Jaerell Brooks.

July 21, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charlie

You read this guy right, what a coward.....

July 21, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. alimentarykitchen

Marriage isn't going to prevent you from having that scared feeling of losing a loved one. A ring, a vow and a piece of paper won't protect you

July 21, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. worldcares

She knows.

July 21, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Wendy

The same thoughts ran through my head also. My husband had me rewind to make sure we had heard correctly that not only did he leave without them, but he drove away? I also thought he allowed him to ramble way too long.

July 21, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Wendy

Andrea – It would be "dedicated its," not it's.

July 21, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jacques

While I agree that he was a coward how easy is it not for us to judge the actions of another man. Yes he ran but that is human nature to self preserve. The important thing to note is he did come back. On top of that I agree in no way should children been allowed to a midnight screening these two were not the only ones there and that to me was a shock.

One last note I am glad forheroes like Jarell Brooks who are the exception not the rule.

July 21, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Hunter

Jacques, he only came back after she reached him by cell phone and let him know she and the kids were safe and the shooting had stopped. So his return was a cowardly act too, as he didn't go back on his own once he came to his senses, but had to wait for an "all clear" from her before he went back to "save" them.

I'm differ with your opinion of having young children there, but I was raised going to drive-ins in my p.j.'s, and my kids are too. If my kids are not asleep by the 2nd feature and it isn't kid-friendly, we leave. The 4 year old was already asleep, the baby was asleep before the gunfire, and I don't see a problem with them there as the kids were not watching the movie, and they weren't being kept awake. I would hope that if they did awaken or become disruptive that Mom and Dad would have left (as I would have).

July 21, 2012 at 3:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donnak

No, it is not human nature to self preserve when you have a child. I don't know any true parent who would not risk their life to protect their child. Obviously, Jarell Brooks, the 19-year-old who did stop to help this woman and her kids, thought more about these kids than the "sperm donor Rohrs". I'm not buying his tears on TV. He didn't even wait outside the theatre to see if they were ok. He was headed down the road. IDIOT.

July 21, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • CMG

"Yes he ran but that is human nature to self preserve." When your a parent your human nature shouldn't over ride your paternal instinct to protect your kids....He s what I would refer to as a unfit parent!

July 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Patti

Piers – Please – I admire your work but honestly – Why did you cut off Patricia? She made it out with her babies – with a gunshot wound! I want to hear her story – how did she survive? How did she find her baby, after the Dad jumped the balcony? SHE IS THE STORY! You cut her off and let that sorry boyfriend go on. I understand that he's been through a horrific event, but rather than hear about him, really, I want to know about this beautiful, brave Mom and how she found her children and got out alive. I don't know anything about Jareli Brooks, as I've seen the name on posts – but hope to soon.
    Back to Piers, this reminds me of some of the misguided focus Larry King had on a few individuals in the days immediately following 9/11. I'm still carrying pain from that – Piers I expect more from you. It was painful to watch the interview with this couple, of course because of the context, but really Piers, because of the clear disrespect you paid to the hero in this story – Patricia. and maybe this other person who helped her.

July 21, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • amylynnmilam

Um...no! The "real hero" is NOT Patricia! She has consistanty lied in every interview she has given to "save face" for her boyfriend. So, when someone tells one lie about somthing, I believe everything else they have said are also lies, and rightfully so! The"real hero" is JARELL BROOKS, the one who saved her, her daughter and the baby, while his cowardly father left and went to the mall! (Oh, and she wasn't SHOT in the leg. She actually had shrapnel in her leg. Well, at least she SAID she did in a different interview.)

July 21, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Donnak

AGREE!!! JARELL BROOKS is the hero. He probably would not have been shot in the leg had he ran out of that theatre and not stopped to help this woman and her kids. THE HERO IS JARELL BROOKS!!!

July 21, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
      • HardyOne

When she defends her "man" (and I use that term loosely!), I can only think of the phrase that says, "You can still flowers in an a*hole, but it doesn't make him a vase". LOL!

July 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • TooRotten

I agree 100% with you. Jarrell Brooks is the Hero in this story. The Sperm donor coward should own up to it all and Thank Jarrell for saving his Family. The "Mother" should also get on bended knee and Thank Jarrell for saving her Family and tell the truth about what happened.
        Jarrell – Thank You. You are a real Man and a True Hero. Your parents must be very proud of you. I wish you the very best in Life. THANK YOU!!!

July 23, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
      • andrea83

Amylynn you have way too much time on your hands. it's called a life, you should get one. Your "personal mission"? Maybe its you that wants the interview. problems....

July 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shawna

Yes Jacques, he did indeed come back.....after all the danger had passed. It is also human nature to protect your children above all other things. Coward. I hope he is never allowed to forget the kind of person he showed himself to truly be.

July 21, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mike

Profiles in Courage... or not. As the father of a 4 month old son, I can't comprehend this cowards actions? Left him on the floor? Drove away? Are you kidding me? Next time Piers, interview a real hero... Jarell Brooks.

July 21, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Steve

Unbelievable COWARDICE! He left his children and girlfriend in harm's way! What a sniveling and selfish POS!

July 21, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donnak

I would hope Child Protective Services would investigate this couple. Parents are charged with child neglect for leaving their kids in cars during the heat. If this moron's actions (putting the 4 month old on the floor to be trampled to death) don't prompt an investigation, then God help these kids. I'm not buying Rohrs lovingly kissing his child on the forhead in interviews. Poor kid. Yep, loved him so much left him to die in the mayhem.

July 21, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. jo

I am from Colorado and have seen a few interviews from this couple on local media. I just feel like their story keeps changing. I don't know how everybody else feels but are those tears real?

July 21, 2012 at 4:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Flealick

I felt the same way – his 'tears' are not real – His girlfriend (gag – fiance?) looks at everywhere but him or the camera when he spews his garbage – This man is beyond a coward, and his blatant ignorance is confirmed in his pathetic descriptions – They should not be offered the chance to discuss their 'story,' and it is very unfortunate that they were able to reproduce and show off their fine parenting skills – Lastly (or perhaps most importantly), as noted in most of the comments on this page, a serious shout out to Jarrell Brooks, whose actions are to be applauded

July 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. please don't marry him

Please, after listening to his story, which the entire time sounded like he was trying to convince himself of his concern for you, I sincerely hope you decide not to marry him. He abandoned you and more importantly, he abandoned his own child. No parent in his right mind would have put the baby on the floor, the child could have easily of been trampled on. I also find it odd he was 'looking all around for you' and yet thru all that smoke you managed to save yourself and Both your children while being shot in the leg. I don't blame him for feeling fear and saving his own hide; but I also think you can do better. Good Luck.

July 21, 2012 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sarah C

This coward is on national TV proclaiming what a victim he was? He abandoned his baby???!! Left the baby on the floor and ran? Not only ran out of the theater but ran to his truck and drove away?? Then this stupid girl accepts his proposal? I hope she comes to her senses. I felt so much sympathy for her saving her own children but then she accepts this loser's proposal??? Seriously Piers? You put this pathetic loser on and let him ramble like a coward and crying? Pathetic. My sympathies to all REAL heros and the victims' families.

July 21, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. James gugan

Atleast it was jus 12 ppl not like 50

July 21, 2012 at 5:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Hunter

The way you are looking at it is very callow and heartless. Perhaps you wouldn't look like such a jerk had you phrased it, "It is terrible that 12 died. I rejoice that so many who were there were able to survive."

July 21, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Roy Keane

Poor interview Piers – you should have got stuck in conkers deep with the mother and found out more about her ordeal

July 21, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. James gugan

why is everyone judging his guy. he got out the theater wen he had a chance. Give him a break jeez

July 21, 2012 at 5:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BigPicture

There is nothing wrong with someone getting out when they have a chance, but they also have to take care of their responsibilities. He had a 4 month old baby with him. This child was totally dependant on his mother and father to take care of him. The baby couldn't walk. He couldn't crawl. He couldn't call to someone and say, "Hey, my Dad is a coward and abandoned me here, could ya help me please?"

The father sat the baby down and saved his own butt, and abandoned his family. And drove away. Then he went on national tv and told us all what a coward he is.

July 21, 2012 at 6:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • amylynnmilam

I couldn't agree with you more! Oh, and one more thing... the Dad said in this interview or a different one that he knew they wouldn't shoot a baby. Well, the shooter DID shoot a baby at point blank range IN THE HEAD! But, miraculously, the baby had survived....so far. However the baby is in the ICU and it doesnt look good. EVen IF the baby survives, it is likely to be brain damaged it's whole life. So, yeah, THAT theory of his sure worked out!

July 21, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
      • CNN - Interview the Real Hero!

He keeps changing the story, as I think he realizes how disgusted the world is by his actions. That's some fake crying, if I've ever heard any. It's awful that the girlfriend keeps supporting these untruths, and not mentioning the real hero in this story. But, I think by the look on her face, she deep-down is pretty disgusted herself. I hope her family talks some sense into her.

July 21, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah c

James, I hope you're being sarcastic. If not, shame on you! I would rather die than leave my baby on the floor to breath in the gas, to be trampled on, to leave him in a room with a shooter so I could save my sorry butt! Then this coward not jumps out but drives away!!

July 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Kas

What a loser this guy is! Left his baby and ran like the coward he is. Actually sat the baby down and ran!!! Who even has a baby at a midnight movie anyway? Where is CYS on this?
    Let's see, the baby is 4 months old...9 months for pregnancy term...that makes over a year that guy didn't ask her to marry him. Now all of a sudden he asked her to marry him? Yeah because he just showed what a coward he is and needed to get back in good with her!!! She'd be a fool to marry him now. He just showed her who he really is...a coward.
    I have heard story after story of people who tried to help others and the promising lives lost....and this idiot intentionally left his own child behind to save himself. Actually sat the baby down and ran!!! Then told it on national TV. What a loser.....

July 21, 2012 at 6:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Na

When panic sets in people do strang things.

July 21, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Eddie of California

Piers Morgan. Did you have to start out the interview with the young couple and the 2 kids by asking them why had they taken their 2 young children to a late night movie? Also, regarding the topic of gun control and you flying off the handle. Piers you are tasteless, go back to Great Britian. I'm so tired of your nasty, nasty, nasty interviews. You think your bold style of interviewing makes you great. YOU'RE NOT. Buy a one way airline ticket and leave the USA.

July 21, 2012 at 6:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Hadley

Regardless, this man is a victim who survived a terrible trauma and will have to deal with the psychological effects for a long time. Ask yourselves why you are so desperate to see him vilified on national television.

July 21, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Hunter

I didn't put him on national tv ...

July 21, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shawna

Ok...digging deep. No, still deciding to judge him on his actions. The only solace I take is in knowing a "man" like him is reading every word of this. So perhaps he should have considered how decent people would perceive his actions before going to the media. I think he will find his 15 minutes less enjoyable than first thought. Also, every woman over 15 years old can read right through the hospital marriage proposal.

July 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Hadley

And it is really easy to say someone has made all of the wrong choices while sitting safely at your home computer. This interview was less then 24 hours after the shooting. I personally don't think I have the right to judge his actions, when I have no idea what surviving such a horrible ordeal is like.

July 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawna

People's actions speak directly to their character. That is how everyone will be ultimately judged. If he didn't want the attention I would suggest he not put his ridiculous account of "bravery" on television. Many people acted nobly in the face of the same danger....for strangers....not even for their own children. Following the train of thought that people act poorly under stress would not account for the gentlemen that did save his fiancé. He will not live this down, nor should he.

July 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah c

uh "Hadley" because this coward left his baby on the floor to be trampled on and not only jumped out but drove away! Another man Jarrell Brooks tried to help the mother and was shot. You tell me why we would "vilify" this coward!

July 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Beantown

"The one good thing that came out of this"?!? "Love triumphs" sounds more like love traps. She's got two children by this man, he deserts them all (actually driving away!) in the presence of danger and she still melts at the prospect that he wants her? She's a courageous mother who protected her children – here's hoping she wakes up and realizes her own worth.

July 21, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donnak

In the Piers Morgan interview he referred to the 4 year old as his step daughter. This woman must be an idiot.

July 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Susan Jordan

I watched this interview and could hardly believe what I was hearing/seeing. This man actually LEFT his infant son on the floor of the theater, LEFT his girlfriend and two children behind and not only ran out of the theater, but got in his truck and drove away? And for this he gets to shed crocodile tears before a national audience? What a display of cowardice and ego. Mr. Morgan needs to APOLOGIZE TO HIS AUDIENCE for putting this on his show. Absolutely disgusting.

July 21, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Rene Creasy

I've got some yellow paint and a paint brush and would be more than happy to paint a big fat yellow streak down this guy's back. Wait ... perhaps a permanant tattoo would do better? What a coward!!! Don't marry him girlfriend – Dont do it!!!

July 21, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Laurie Pfisterer

You really dropped the ball, Morgan. Can't believe you treated this guy like he was some kind of hero, helped him get his 15 minutes of fame.

July 21, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Wake up

Why not blame the Moslims or the Iranians after all The King and Master Netanyahu who we bow to did. His always pointing finguers pointed to Iran minutes after the attack in Burgas. Wake up America. People are crazy, wicked and good world wide.

If you are concerned about gun violence go to this Website and get involved in " brady camping . Org

Then boycott to make your voice heard...movie theaters, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Chic-A-Fil....hit  " hate " in the pocket book. Drop your membership in the NRA....They use the member numbers to intimidate elected officials.

TAKE ACTION..... Ask for gun control in America and world wide. Gun control should be the only thing in the

July 21, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Me

If Rohr's had any brains in his head, he would shut up and get off the tv. He is a COWARD

July 21, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Falcon

Brady camping? is that like campiing with the Brady Bunch? Im in, but how will that help the situation? the only gun control needed on that theatre was someone using both hands while shooting back. I'm still amazed that here in CO there was no one in that theatre that was armed.

The dude is a straight up coward and a waste of air. Him crying is so phony. and that girl is a retard for accepting his proposal.

July 21, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Yasmeen

Patricia interviewed with Jarrell

July 21, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. David Gomez

Piers, a great follow up question after this coward's sobbing should've been "Mr Rohr how could you run & abandon your family in the midst of a massacre?"

July 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. sarah

Is this fool stuck on stupid? Someone should have stopped him from talking! He left his Family!
    And she said YES?! Why?

July 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Abs

They'll never marry. She'll stay with him, even though she knows he's a coward. Theyll have more kids. They're both stupid. Cynical? I guess. But his actions make the Costa sea captain look like Capt. Sullenberger.

July 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah C

I don't know. This Patricia never mentions Jarrell Brooks the real man who helped her. She might be as stupid as this coward Jamie Rohrs was. Ok, I get it, he was scared. Perhaps we don't know what we would have done blah blah. But he jumped in his pickup and DROVE AWAY!!!! He only came back after SHE called HIM to tell him she was ok and had the kids!!! She can't this dumb!

July 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Sue Tervonen

CNN, would you PLEASE acknowledge the young man who risked his life actually saved this mother and children, Jarrell Brooks. That is the story that should be trending. He is the hero here and CNN is utterly ignoring him. What's with that?

July 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Stephanie

OMG,,,, WHY ISN'T CNN MENTIONING JARELL BROOKS OR WHY DIDN'T SHE, HE SAVED HER AND HER KIDS LIFE WHILE HER FIANCEE RAN OUT AND DROVE OFF, THEY DON'T MENTION THAT AT ALL....THAT IS SO PATHETIC....SITTING NEXT TO HER PATHETIC MAN.....WOW...GLAD JARELL BROOKS MADE IT OUT ALIVE.....

July 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. sarah C

Did you see how how fool starts smiling by proudly when Piers asks Patricia about the "happy moment" when this retard asks her to marry him? He's had lots of time to calm down (and btw he's given lots of interviews) and realize how stupid he sounds recounting his cowardly moments. Some people are saying, "you don't know what you would have done." Ok, give him credit for being scared and running out. But jumping in his pickup and driving across the mall? Then giving countless interviews how scared he was? At least admit to the world, "I feel horrible because I let my family down. I was a coward." He might get more sympathy. Piers you should have called him out!

July 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. sarah c

Good Morning America interviewed Patricia and Jarrell. She barely acknowledges him but at least they didn't have the coward on crying how it affected him!

July 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Mrs Dobson

I think everyone is so quick to judge. Until your in that situation you have no idea how you'll react. Fear is one of the most powerful emotions and it can change the outcome of anything. It is not our job to judge the two nor is it our job to criticize. Let these poor people get through this horrific experience without outsiders who don't know them or their character judging them.

July 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna Hunter

I'd be happy to let him get through this without outsiders. Can you get him to stop doing interviews and milking it for attention?

July 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

I can't agree more!

July 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah C

MIke, we are allowed to judge our "brother's" actions. We're not supposed to judge what is in his "heart and soul." So let's see, he's on national TV telling everyone how he left his baby on the floor and fled. Another man (the real hero) Jarrell Brooks helped her because as he put it, "I don't see myself as a hero. I just knew I had to do something." I think this guy really doesn't think he did anything wrong! If he did, he would shut up! I get it. He was scared, blah blah. But he drove away! He said it! There's no "judging!" He said it!

July 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Damien

It's clear that this guy is media shopping and is looking to make a profit off this tragedy somehow. Any person with an ounce of self respect would acknowledge how cowardly and shameful his actions were and would most likely dodge the media and cameras like the plague. However, he's telling his story to anyone who will listen and most likely thinking to himself, "Will I get famous?" His tearful interview was painful to watch. Fear can be a powerful emotion, but it also can be controlled. This is most apparent when other people are relying on you for help, especially your children who are helpless. In a situation such as this the fear for your life is typically suppressed as you're focused on the safety of others. It is abundantly clear that this guy is lacking the ability to act selflessly for his children, something that most parents possess. So he needs to step away from the cameras and media, keep his mouth shut and let the victims of this tragedy be recognized.

July 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Yep

And yet...he will probably get a book deal out of this, then a made for TV movie. Hopefully, he gets a REAL editor–but then it would be a comic book.

July 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Army girl

This guy is truly PATHETIC and definitely should tattoo a yellow ribbon down his back. Girlfriend need to have this cowardly b*stard pack his shyt and never come back. They are now talking about the people who died in the theater trying to save other people. Unbelievable this man put his flesh and blood on the ground, a 48 day old infant-– and ran away to save his own ass. He should be hiding under a rock overcome with shame, but no--he's on tv trying to milk his cowardly story for all it's worth. Piers, is this the best you can do!!!

July 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Lori

I don't care how afraid you are, a parent DOES NOT abandon his or her child in the face of danger! In fact, I suspect, in normal people, there is some innate drive which triggers a protective mode in parents whose children are in danger. What this selfish, cowardly "man" did cannot be excused by fear, or panic, or for any other reason. He did not "lose" his infant son – he abandoned him! And he also abandoned his girlfriend, who happened to be the mother of his child – and her young daughter. Another man had to help them! I mean, he not only fled the theatre without them, after "dumping" his baby on the floor – but he then got in his vehicle and drove away from the scene! Guess he didn't want to be around to explain if they didn't make it out alive.

July 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Mike

It's so disrespectful to see the comments on this page. He may not have done the right thing but you were not there! You don't know what happen and what that moment was like. People die have some freaking respect!

July 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Meant to say people died.

July 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah C

"Mike" No one forgets people died! Just like that coward's baby who could have died had it not been for the baby's mother and Jarrell Brooks while this coward not only ran out but DROVE AWAY!!! He only came back when the girlfriend called him to tell them they were safe!!!! How dare this guy disrespect America who is mourning by playing victim!

July 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mike

Easy for you to say. You were not there and didn't live it. So you have absolutely zero credibility in your statement. I am not defending the guy by any means but seriously, were you there?

July 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • sarah c

This guy WAS there and he acted like a coward in that moment. I have protected my children from danger. It makes me wonder why you are defending this coward.

July 22, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Alec Haas

Sorry but this guy is a total coward. Opposite of a hero. I would die for my friends and family in this situation .. and I have been faced with it. You find out who a person truly is when life is at stake. He abandoned his kids. There is nothing more disgraceful.

July 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jackie

Oh look, the first member of the Jamie Rohrs fan club. Now go soak your head.

July 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Thea Few

The kids shouldn't have been at the theater. The father is a poor excuse for a man. Any normal father would have shielded his kids and the mother of his children.

July 21, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. dgoldman0207

I am so glad to see that everyone saw what a totally AWFUL person this guy is. I echo all the criticism including taking kids to a midnight movie and failing to credit the true hero. I, too, was waiting for the "mom" to tell him he's said enough. And how about wearing that hat for his professional tv interview. At least we got to view the worst of America. Too bad those children can't be protected from this guy.

July 21, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Jerry

Should we really be surprised? These two idiots brought a 4 month old baby and their 4 year old daughter to a MIDNIGHT screening of Dark Knight Rises. Borderline child abuse in my opinion.

July 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Laura

Disgusting!!! First of all why the hell do you have an INFANT at a midnight movie. What is wrong with you? And a four year old to see that violent movie? That's horrible!! I am so glad that you had to be one of the first to see this that you used very poor parenting skills. AND I cannot believe you got separated from your son. PLEASE.I used to freak out when my kids went under the clothes racks near me in the stores and I turned around for a second and they were gone! I WOULD HAVE laid on top of my kids shielding them. Not found my way out. Sickening!!

July 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Alec Haas

This guy is an unbelievable coward. I watched this last night and was so disgusted. He was too concerned for his own life that he dropped the baby, ran out of the theatre, and jumped in his car and drove off! Then he admitted he was too afraid to go back for them because he was afraid to get shot. He abandoned his family.. This guy does not deserve to be with anyone.. and she is an idiot for accepting his proposal after he showed his true colors

July 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yep

I especially admire his comment that he had to leave because otherwise his kids could become orphans. WHAT?? Real hero there, eh? So this poor, suffering, pathetic little boy sits and cries on national TV so that people don't think he's an idiot, and then he clinches it with THAT comment? Wow.

July 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. James gugan

Man coloroda rwally breeda some winners. columbine and now this. keep theae retarda secluded to one state

July 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jayna

Read the article and practice your comprehension skills. They just moved to Colorado from New Mexico.

July 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Robert

http://www.indiegogo.com/jarellthehero If you want to donate to the REAL hero.

July 21, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Sara

Judging by the comments, we're nearly all in agreement that this father is a moron and a coward, and Jarell Brooks is a hero...so why is it that we're still not hearing about him? I just watched a 1 hour CBS special, and nothing. This is ridiculous.

July 21, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kids first

She will stay with him..... Have more kids because that's what one does to feel full filed right ?
      This great need to have babies. To fill loneliness or what ever. The Baby Mill goes on just because one can get pregrant is never the answer is it ? No one cares any one way?
      No one thinks of the child's needs or rights first do thay ? No one cares for the child's right to be born in this messy sitatutaion. No one puts baby's first and there own need to conserve later.

July 22, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oops ! Oops !

Easy to call someone a moron right ? We don't know he suffers from panic attacks or what ever. Depressed people do strange things don't they? Yet this bord is filled with people who feel they know so much they can all comment right ? Maybe they had no family to leave the kids for a night out and all those hundred of friends they thought they could depend on were to busy with there lives to baby sit. Have you tried to get a sitter or help? Sadly people don't think of babies before they have them and this couple sure did not. Oops ! To get pregrant is easy but no pree parental books are written with warnings.

July 22, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jen

You make sacrifies as a parent. Can't get a sitter? Then you are going to have to wait for DVD. Its a movie. Not a difficult choice. No one forced them to go to a MIDNIGHT showing of a movie that was inappropriate for children. If you don't have the instinct to PROTECT YOUR CHILD, you shouldn't be a parent. I'm so tired of people sticking up for the garbage parents.

July 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Heidi

If they don't have anybody to babysit, stay home. This movie wasn't intended for small children. It isn't illegal to take kids to inappropriate movies, but it isn't intelligent, either. Wait for the DVD–who cares if you are first in line to see a new movie–nobody will remember that and put it in your eulogy.

I, too, get sick of people standing up for people who lack common sense. If he is somebody who has panic attacks, why is he in a large crowd? If he is depressed, it isn't healthy to watch dark movies.

I agree–we probably shouldn't be judging the couple, but we definitely shouldn't be defending them, either. Too many times, "the village" enables people by sympathizing and being tolerant of their poor judgement. Certainly they didn't expect this when they headed for the theater, but I am very concerned about a "father figure" not able to protect his family. Why isn't the mother concerned about this?

July 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  53. PMcKell

COWARD who left his family to die...PERIOD

July 21, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. renzanity

Jamie Rohrs is an invertebrate. Patricia Legerretta is a fool. Piers Morgan is a sell out.

And Jarrell Brooks is a HERO.

July 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bronxCH

Agreed! More on that Jarrell Brooks guy here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2176918/Devastated-Jamie-Rohrs-PROPOSES-girlfriend-Patricia-Legarreta-just-hours-rescued-kids-Dark-Knight-shooting.html

Sad when women have zero self esteem. She wants to marry this non-human? He'll probably have a car wreck, walk away, and leave her to die, AGAIN.

July 22, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  55. Sarah

What a TOTAL COWARD! How can he appear on TV admitting that he left his baby behind. Child services should take those kids off them. Who takes kids those ages to the cinema at that time of night and then abandons them like that.
    DISGUSTING INDIVIDUAL!

July 22, 2012 at 1:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  56. James

Jarell Brooks is the HERO and Piers Morgan is the idiot here. I mean cmon get the facts straight before putting this dope Jamie Rohrs on a hero when he is the Coward. And this Patricia Legarreta should be ashamed of herself for not mentioning a thing about the man (Jarell Brooks) who REALLY saved her. If I was Jarell, I would go nowhere near either of these 2 idiots.

July 22, 2012 at 3:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Kinnagh

How could Piers Morgan give this couple so much air time? Rohrs is a TOTAL COWARD. Left his baby on floor, left his other child and girlfriend, ran out of there AND DROVE AWAY. She is also disgusting and classless.....they don't even mention or thank the man, Jarell Brooks, who actually tried to save her life and the life of her children. She is excited this COWARD has proposed? She must be nuts in addition to being an ungrateful wretch and terrible mother taking a young child to an R rated movie at midnight? That's really messed up too. Little kids shouldn't be exposed to films of that nature at all. Her body language says she knows her now fiancee is a lowlife coward bum. PLEASE DON'T INTERVIEW THESE PEOPLE AGAIN. They don't deserve one minute of anyone's time.....Piers Morgan, you are doing a rotten job lately....wake up.

July 22, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yep

Some women are so darn enamored at the thought of an elaborate wedding, that they don't for a minute stop and discern who they want the wedding WITH. So, because of their low self-esteem, they fall for the first guy who talks fancy to them, gets them pregnant, and in this case ditches them so that their children don't become orphans. Seriously?? Wake up, little girl–you will be wiping his nose forever because he is just a little boy.

July 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Jackietg

He left the theatre, and his family to save himself; she had to struggle to get her children out with the help of a stranger, which was unmentioned in this interview, and then she accepted his marriage proposal? Nice reporting Piers. You really got to the heart of this story.

July 22, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  59. Australia

i'm so glad i wasn't the only one who thought this guy is the worlds biggest ever coward.

July 22, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  60. Ramulus

Jamie Rohrs coward of the year

July 22, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  61. disgusted

Rohrs probably know the shoother. Just sayin

July 22, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  62. disgusted

@ Mike....the man is a coward and needs to stay off the tv. He ran, drove off, mmmmmkay?

July 22, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Me

All of them should be ashamed for taking young children to this violent film

July 22, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  64. jen

And to all the parents that took their young children to an adult movie and a midnight showing at that.....DISGUSTING. This isn't cartoon batman! It's dark and twisted and inappropriate for young children. Every time I see kids at an adult movie it just kills me. Why expose a 5 year old to such things? Really? Is it THAT important? Sorry you couldn't get a babysitter, I guess you'll just have to wait for DVD. Thats what parents do. They make sacrifies. A movie shouldn't be a difficult one!

July 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. Borger

WOW, try getting married before you have kids, you two POS lowlifes, and next time Babby Daddy try protecting your kids ... It's the MAN thing to do... CNN bring back Larry King and dump the Brit Piers Morgan ...

July 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  66. Jackie

This guy is a coward- and there are other, unprintable names for him, too. The fact that someone chose to lay down and breed with this clown sickens me. CNN should offer to pay for a vasectomy so he doesn't have any more kids. He has polluted the gene pool.

July 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  67. Jess

I love how everyone keeps repeating that you never know what you'll do in a situation like this. "Don't attack the poor man! You weren't there." No, I wasn't, but if a 19 year old stranger could, while shot, protect that woman and her children, if so many men could lay over their girlfriends, if so many moms could lay over their children, how could this man be considered anything but a raging coward? It's not even like he just ran out. He ran out AND DROVE AWAY.

Please give credit to Jarell Brown. Give him time, attention, and all the support he deserves. He's a young man just starting college with a bullet wound he took for a stranger and her children. He should be the focus here.

July 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jess

Jarrell *Brooks. Sorry about that.

July 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  68. Carolyn

His name is Jarell Brooks. I just went to the website, indiegogo,com/jarellthehero He appears to be a very nice young
    man, who while recuperating sends blessings to Patricia and her family and all the victims of this tragedy. Truly a son any mother would be proud of.

July 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  69. Carolyn

It is not my intention to bash anyone, but for Jarell Brooks not to be acknowledged and given a heart felt thank you by Patricia and Jamie really saddens me. I think I can understand their feelings, because to acknowledge him means that they have to accept Jamie's flight.

That said, they must realize and accept that without him Patricia and the children might not have gotten out unharmed. The bullet that hit him could have hit her or her children.

It might be a bitter pill to swallow, but give credit where credit is due. Patricia and Jamie need to give thanks to their guardian angel for putting Jarell at the right place, at the right time and publicly give the young man a

HEARTFELT THANK YOU!

July 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  70. shrimpmommy

PIERS-Get these junkies off CNN! Interview the real hero!!!

July 22, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  71. bigdickeddeadgordon

He has every right to run away and save his life. Yes, that may have resulted in his children and girlfriend being killed, but he is a young man and could have new children with a different woman.

July 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • WowieZowie

Wow, DeadGordon–I see you don't value life much. You could probably be replaced as well.

July 23, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Concerned

Wait, is that you, Jamie???

July 23, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Judy Roberts

Either you are kidding, or you are the loser Jamie.

July 23, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  72. http://www.facebook.com/jamierohrsisacoward

July 23, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  73. Brian

I just want to point out there that this guy is nothing but an embarrassment to himself and to his family. I'm a father of a beautiful 8 month old baby girl whom I'm willing to sacrifice an die for as-well as for my wife. My respect to those victims who died protecting there love ones in this cruel act. May god bless every victim and their family.

July 23, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  74. Dropthebabyandrun

When its everyman for himself a baby just slows you down

July 23, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • WowieZowie

Then you probably wouldn't care if somebody left you if you'd been shot. After all, you'd just slow people down, too. What value would you be to anybody?

July 23, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • STEPH

RIGHTEOUS!!!!!!

July 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. WowieZowie

What a hero he is–he proposed to her after having two children with her and then leaving them to fend for themselves. She must have a pretty low self-esteem to accept his marriage proposal–either that or she is in love with the idea of having a wedding. Sad.

Likely, they won't be together in a few years.

July 23, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  76. cjpainter

This girl seriously needs to consider "de-rohrs-ing" herself from this relationship.

July 23, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  77. Bryansco

Also, if you looked at my comment, I said that Jarell Brooks is a HERO and that Jamie Rohrs is a COWARD!!!

July 23, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  78. Judy Roberts

This guy disgusts me. When I watched his performance on television, crying (about himself, I may add, and there were no tears–just his whining), all I could think of is the guy stepped over his baby, then jumped and "hoped" his family would get out. Then he drove away. What a low life. Thank you to the hero who saved this loser's family. Lady–get away from this guy.

July 23, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • STEPH

she actually deserves this guy, she accepted his proposal, didn't even give the thanks to the guy that made it possible for this coward to propose? I wonder what her reaction would have been if one of there kids had died because no one was there to save them then he asked for her hand in marriage seeing that he was in his truck ten minutes away in safety.........

July 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  79. Jouee

""I find myself standing... my son is on the floor... and I lose him," recalled a distraught Rohrs"
    How do you lose a baby strapped in a car seat on the floor unless you walk/run away? While I understand that no-one knows how they will act (coward or hero) in an emergency until tested, I do not understand how, in this interview, both parents fail to mention the heroic behavior of the fellow movie goer, Jarell Brooks, who didn't walk/run away but stopped to protect their two children (both baby and 4 year old), taking a bullet for them. Without Jarell Brooks those children may have died. Thank you Mr Jarell Brooks, for your courage, your heroism, your character, thank you.

July 23, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Judy Roberts

Also, didn't he say he put the baby down because he was crying, and he thought the crying would attract attention of the gunman? So, if the baby was crying, why couldn't loser Jamie find his child? A 19 year old man, Jarell Brooks, who was shot, stayed and helped mom and the children get out. The cowardly Jamie was driving his truck as fast as he could away from the scene.

July 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  80. NJ JCole

One thing that this shows is that for every selfless person that act above and beyond in a moment of crisis there are the selfish among us that are for there own self preservation.

July 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  81. eric

Never thought I would hear this much cowardliness in my life ALLLLLLLLLL in one story! 1st – the gunman shooting innocents in a movie theater, 2nd – the man who runs and leaves his 4 month old son, his girlfriend and her daughter, 3rd – the same guy who leave his family and JUMPS IN HIS VEHICLE AND LEAVES THE SCENE COMPLETELY!!!, 4th – the girlfriend for not mentioning a true hero and having to feel like she must save her cowardly man's reputation by giving some credit. . . .for what I am not sure of! WOW the state of our union is sad!

July 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  82. STEPH

someone should put him on scare tactics, he would fly to the moon with his scary ass.......

July 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  83. Johnny

What if one for the audience had taken gun courses, served in the military, and had the right to carry a concealied weapon? This guy came into a dark place, added smoke, while wearing a gas mask. I remember wearing a gas mask and I couldn't see anything. We need the chance to protect ourselves. Period, we are not Brittian!

July 24, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnny

Britain that is, just an FYI I am a father of four and I wuill go to the movie. By God's grace I will always protect my own!

July 24, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  84. Dan

I'm still trying to understand why these parents took their kids to a midnight showing in the first place.

July 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  85. Sara

I think Dan's last comment and eric hit it right on the nose. I'm disgusted by the tears and fake sad voice. Karma will take care of things.

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  86. Watchmen

Just another wonderful day in America, folks.

July 24, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  87. Joshua

One thing this can show all americans regardless of the color of some ones skin, or nationality, we all do better together than apart. I was happy to see that many people of different races helping out each other regardless of the color of ones skin. There were a number of African American men, true men that helped out and took a bullet for people of another race. I'm not trying to turn anything "racial" but the next time you look at a Black man just because he is black remember this color could save your life one day whether it be military, police, fireman, medical etc.... and vice versa May we all learn a valiable lesson from this may we all love one another regardless of race, nationality, or color.

July 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  88. Debbie

In the first interview of Rohrs, I think by Channel 4, on the day of the shooting, Rohrs talks only about how he was so afraid for himself. He was worried HE was going to get shot. I wish someone had a copy of that interview to post online. He says nothing about being afraid for his family, only himself.

July 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  89. Sharzi

I'm sorry, but what a cowardly, disgraceful excuse for a human being. I would lay my life down for my kids... give up ever seeing tomorrow to be sure my children would. He put his baby down somewhere and ran off... got in his car and drove away while another man, protected them. He put his life on the line and took a bullet for it too. If she was smart, she would marry the man who risked his very life to be sure she and her child would have theirs. If Rohrs put his own life in front of everyone else, what makes her think he will ever devote himself to a family? If he were my son, I'd be so ashamed, and then I'd take a good hard look at how I could have raised such a selfish, sniveling weasel of a son.

An interview with Legarreta....

"Legarreta said she had shrapnel in her leg from the upper thigh to the ankle. While she was on the floor, she said, she could see her 4-month-old baby on the ground near the stairs. Legarreta said she did not know the whereabouts of Rohrs.

"At that point, I reached out and I grabbed him and pulled him in to me," she said. "I didn't even check my leg until we were out in the parking lot."

July 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carolyn

Sharzi, sorry I disagree, Jarell is 19 and getting ready for college, not marriage, to a women with 2 children.
      He did a wonderful and selfless thing, no need to take if futher with marriage. He stepped up to the plate like
      a man, but he's still a child. College will give him the tools and experience he will need to help him toward the
      goal of a productive and rewarding future.

July 27, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  90. Jimmy UK

Piers, as a fellow Brit I'm hugely disappointed by you and your story of this man. He's become famous for abandoning his 2 kids and girlfriend to this crazed killer. Your interview shows so much sympathy for him. Why wasn't the real hero, who made sure the girlfriend and 2 kids, interviewed instead and given a medal of bravery? Why are you giving Rohrs all this media attention.

July 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  91. olkvgn

????? This can't be real. And she's going to marry him?

July 27, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  92. Yolanda Kerns

Oh, I'm sure she'll marry him. My question is this: do you think he'll choose white or ivory for his bridal gown? Whichever he chooses, I am sure he will be stunning.

July 27, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • steph

@ Yolanda Kerns, lmfbo, im sure he would be stunning too. But I think he should go with yellow, it looks good on him.......

July 27, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  93. Movie Theaters Guide

I do consider all the concepts you've presented to your post. They're really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for newbies. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

August 14, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  94. Demi Lovato Lyrics

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing in your rss feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

August 20, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  95. pancreatic cancer symptoms in men

Thanks for any other informative website. Where else may just I get that type of information written in such a perfect way? I have a undertaking that I am just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information.

August 31, 2012 at 7:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  96. Personalised Nurses Fob Watch

bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

September 12, 2012 at 4:50 am | Report abuse | Reply