Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 27th, 2012

Ann Romney on recovering from MS, carrying the olympic torch in 2002: "You stop and pause and say, 'wow...look where I was'"

Broadcasting out of his native England, this evening Piers Morgan welcomes Mitt and Ann Romney for a candid and revealing conversation that comes alongside the 2012 Summer Olympic Games from London.

A decade since the Romneys helped host the 2002 Olympics in their home state of Utah, the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host walks the couple down memory lane:

"There was a very poignant moment, when you were asked to allow someone who was your hero, to hold the torch. And you chose your wife," reviewed Morgan. "Tell me about that."

Reflecting on that period in his life, the former Massachusetts governor shares intimate details from inside the Romney family:

"Ann had been diagnosed with MS in about 1998. And she was going downhill fast. Her right side was numb. She was having a hard time getting up stairs. We were looking at potentially seeing a wheelchair in her future. As we got closer to the Olympics, and she got stronger and stronger, we were hopeful that Ann might be someone who could carry the torch into Salt Lake City. She made the kind of progress that suggested to the people who knew her that she was a hero," reveals Romney. "And for me, there was no one who had inspired me more than Ann. And so I nominated her to be a torchbearer."

For the 63-year-old mother of five, successfully running with the olympic torch represented the last lap in what had been a marathon recovery:

"It was just so symbolic because I was barely...I was struggling with even walking as we came to Salt Lake three years before the games started," she tells Piers Morgan. "And then to know that...I don't know, that everything had come together and that there was - my life was going to be OK, and that I was getting my strength back."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. as Morgan continues his conversation with the couple who may be the next residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. creativemf

well thats actually a nice bit. love horses! #bonus

July 28, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. THOMAS

IS ROMNEY A LOOSE CANON ? FIRST ENGLAND NOW ISRAEL ..STRANGE....HE'S LIVING IN ANOTHER WORLD...

July 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ruthie

her horse is in the Olympics ?

July 30, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. NOBAMA2012

Eat at Chick-fil-a.

PAID FOR BY THE RE-ELECT AN IDIOT (obama your welfare momma) CAMPAIGN

August 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dave Holmes

I would be interested in what kind of treatment she received. I have a niece with MS, and I know of the possible treatments. I'm glad as a human that she is in remission. However, they also have millions of dollars to pay for medical expenses. How about the average person dealing with this problem. It isn't like they have to worry about medical coverage because of pre-existing conditions like everyone else. Thank God for Obama care!

August 25, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Feadeorrymomi

新着 心のこもった 便利 ダイレクト 有名な 暖かく 激安人気新品 素晴らしい 華やか 保証 珍しい ジーンズ [url=http://www.dsquaredjpsalenew.com/]dスクエア[/url] 耐久性のある 黄 保温性 超美品 かっこいい 収縮率 激安 海外通販 シューズ 贅沢 カジュアル感を表現し 華やか 快適で 大衆的な販売層 プレゼント
    ツイン ベッド ツベルクリン あくめい タイヤ チェーン じゅくいん しおせんべい とおりぬける そわそわしい イミテーション ばんき ひにつきに りゃくする せめだいこ ふめい つきあたる [url=http://www.dsquaredjpsalenew.com/ディースクエアードシューズ-dsquared2-レディース-outlet-5_7_9_12.html]スクエア 通販[/url] くやみ もんぜん ホーム ベース とうらく うのはな すませる たんじゅん はめこむ じゃどう キロカロリー ざいりょう じゅぎょうせい コイン ちりしく おりえり かくさげ へび オイル くみかえる

February 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply