Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For July 27, 2012 – London welcomes world for Olympics opening ceremony, powerful storms kill at least two in Northeast, and Katherine Jackson laughs at stroke report, lawyer says...
• London welcomes world for Olympics opening ceremony: "Excitement is building across Britain as it prepares for the official start of the Summer Olympic Games on Friday night. One of the biggest secrets in London will finally be revealed, as perhaps a billion people worldwide watch the opening ceremony created by Danny Boyle, best known for the Oscar-winning film 'Slumdog Millionaire.'"
• Powerful storms kill at least two in Northeast: "Storms ripped through the Northeast, killing at least two people as they unleashed strong winds and knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of customers, authorities said Friday."
• Obama talks guns: "President Barack Obama broke his silence on the Colorado movie massacre Wednesday night and spoke out on the issue of gun control."
• U.S. economy slowed in second quarter: "The United States economy slowed in the second quarter amid weak consumer spending, government cuts and a rise in imports from foreign countries. Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of the nation's economic health, grew at an annual rate of 1.5% from April to June, the Commerce Department said Friday."
• Katherine Jackson laughs at stroke report, lawyer says: "Katherine Jackson's lawyer met with her Thursday evening for the first time since her Arizona trip that led to her losing custody of Michael Jackson's children. The 82-year-old Jackson family matriarch even found humor in some of the speculation about her health that emerged in the past week."
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter