Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 1st, 2012

Greg Louganis on being diagnosed with HIV: "Honestly, I didn't think that I'd see 30"

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes one of the most revered Olympic athletes of all time – four-time gold medal winning diver Greg Louganis – for an honest and revealing sit down interview.

Joining Piers Morgan face to face in London, the three-time Olympian opens up about testing positive for HIV more than two decades ago, and the fears that subsequently followed:

"Back in 1988 when I was diagnosed with HIV, we thought of HIV as a death sentence," he shares. "Honestly, I didn't think that I'd see 30." Now 52 years old, Louganis is at the 2012 Games serving as a mentor to the US diving team, his first visit to the Summer Olympics in 16 years.

On the heels of the recent controversy surrounding restaurant chain Chick-fil-A's support of the traditional family unit, Morgan asks for his guest's perspective:

"Well you know, I’m not real political," says Louganis, who's been openly gay since 1995. "You know, but I know what’s right, you know, what’s right for me and you know, equal rights for everybody."

Jokingly, Louganis goes on to suggest that his issue with the chicken specialist has as much to do with health, as it does with rights:

"I mean really, who eats that stuff? I mean I like my arteries, you know, I like my blood flowing."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. for a conversation with the man widely recognized as the greatest diver of all time.
-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Pride of America
  1. China

I am so disappointing about bout comments on china swimmer, Ye. It is unfair. You made statement without any evidences. Even you trash IOC drug test results. I once watched you interview Marion Jones. Can you tell the world whether we can trust American’s players? Everyone knows American has the most advanced sciences and technology in the world. If there was a country can cheating for the drug test, I believe it is USA, not China.

Please give the world some evidences when you draw conclusions. Otherwise, you cannot convince people, though I know your statement can meet lots people's taste in USA. However, I think you just like an idiot in the world.

Please respect every once equally, no matter where they were born and what their race.

Thanks,

August 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mike

Piers, you want to know who eats "that stuff" at Chick-Fil-A? Millions of Americans everyday. And today, you can mutiply that number. Uh, by the way, no one was "ordered" to go to Chick-Fil-A. It's called free choice and support for an organization that stands on Christian values which may no longer exist in England or Europe but still does in America. Get use to it because Christian values, including marriage defined as a man and a woman, remains the foundation of what made this country great. By the way, from the looks of your gut, a diet of grilled chicken sandwiches at Chick-Fil-A might do you good.

August 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CNN Reader

Just to clear up the confusion, it was Greg Louganis who made the quip about the food. ;)

August 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tyler

Wow, yes let's talk about how much of a Christian nation we are. I forget sometimes since there is separation of church and state by our founding fathers. I forget what a Christian-like act that was. Also, major slaughter of animals for human consumption for profit; something for which all Christians stand. All the plastic utensils and appliances manufactured from China by under-payed laborers; such a Christian thing to do. Yes, let's be proud of our little Christian franchise; they make a difference in the world! Look at how they try to raise awareness about starving children in Africa, look at all the little villages they donate money to in Africa; astounding. NOT. Let's just waste the money on ourselves and trying to keep up DOMA because I really am incapable of focusing on anyone else. Envy and jealousy runs through my veins, I am a selfish, awful person. The United States is NOT a Christian nation and your claim, Mike, that it was is simply false. People escaped to America to avoid being forced into religion in Europe. Sounds a bit ironic for what you are saying, Mike. I forget that America is a theocracy...

August 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. worldcares

Ironically, I thought about Greg Louganis during these Olympic Games.
    Ooo, what a lucky man, you are...

August 2, 2012 at 4:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. tyler

Christian values, including marriage defined as a man and a woman, remains the foundation of what made this country great... you're silly Mike. I love how the hocus-pocus has confused you.

August 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. George Michael

You mean Greg Louganis engaged in risky behavior, contracted the HIV virus, and then criticizes Chick Fil A for their food being a threat to his health? Get real.

August 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Scott

Yet another snooty, clueless lefty talk show host who thinks that anybody who doesn't believe in gay marriage is a hater. Get something straight, Morgan. The hatred has all been coming from the left-wing.

August 3, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jan

just to be clear....ChikfilA decides to post their opinion on gay marriage and are criticized for it to a point that the mayor of Boston won't allow another restaurant in their city. When people are attacked for their opinions and are threatened to be closed down its a violation of freedom of speech. THAT is what people are protesting.

August 3, 2012 at 5:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Get real.

Chickfali is a bit to political and if Kermit and Miss Piggy won't eat at Chickfela neither willl I.
      Let's get real ! Guns kill. Guns kill more people than Gays in America.

August 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kermit and I

Well said. Nothing Christian about Chickfil A they are full of HATE. How many car loads will they feed free to get there 2 minute publicity?

August 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. NOBAMA2012

Eat at Chick-fil-a.

PAID FOR BY THE RE-ELECT AN IDIOT (obama your welfare momma) CAMPAIGN

August 3, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ed

For those of you who claim that Chick Fil A are haters, I suggest that you take some time and research what it is that was said. The liberal media took the comments made by Mr. Cathy out of context. He never made any derogatory remarks toward the gay population nor did he make any negative comments toward gay marriage. He simply stated his beliefs which, again, the media took out of context. Below is a link in which you can read what he said.

August 6, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LNSW

I've read the article and Mr. Cathy's comments. It is true that he did not reference gay marriage and his comments were not derogatory toward anyone or anything. However, a business person who decides to comment publicly about a religion-based belief would be incredibly naive to think there would not be some negative effects and the potential for over reaction. Should people simply eat at Chik Fil A because they like the food? Of course. But are people's decisions as to whom they give their money influenced by the principles they believe are practiced by the leaders of a business? Of course.

August 7, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply