READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For August 9, 2012 – Beach volleyball duo bid farewell, federal report says bag with bomb was at Detroit building guard desk for weeks and Sex, Games and Olympic Village life...
• Beach volleyball duo bid farewell: "The Olympic journey of Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings ended where it all began: In the sand. Minutes after winning their third consecutive Olympic gold medal in women's beach volleyball on Wednesday, the American duo announced an end to what is considered one of the winningest partnerships of the Games."
• Federal report says bag with bomb was at Detroit building guard desk for weeks: "A federal review cites poor judgment by a security guard who found a bag outside a government building in Detroit last year and stashed it under a desk where it remained for weeks - with neither the guard nor anyone else in the building aware that it contained a bomb."
• Democratic group prepping for Romney 'Veep Mistake': "Mitt Romney may be playing his vice presidential pick close to the vest, but a Democratic group is gambling on five potential running mates who they've already labeled 'deeply flawed.' The liberal super PAC American Bridge has a website in place to spell out the faults of Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan – five men considered likely names on Romney's list of potential running mates."
• U.S. drought drives up food prices worldwide: "The drought that's drying up the Heartland isn't just an American problem. It's causing food prices to surge worldwide. Food prices jumped 6% in July, after three months of declines, according to the United Nations' monthly Food Price Index released Thursday. The main drivers behind the increase? Grain prices. And more specifically, corn prices, which have hit record highs in recent weeks."
• Sex, Games and Olympic Village life: "The face of the Olympics is well known the world over: athletes winning, losing, straining every sinew of their bodies in the pursuit of podium glory. But behind the scenes there is another story of the athletes' lives and the use of their bodies, one that centers on their time staying at the Olympic Village."
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter