Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 15th, 2012

Cory Booker on Joe Biden's speech in Virginia: "Don't let the soundbites...affect your mind...listen to the whole speech"

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes Newark Mayor Cory Booker for his trademark blend of candid perspective and passionate insight.

On the heels of Vice President Joe Biden's controversial speech in Virginia, the 43-year-old Democrat lobbies for more attention to be paid to whole issues, rather than simply focusing on select snippets of a particular speech:

"Every single week now, every single week from both sides, we seem to be running on 10 second clips of sound bites and ignoring substance," Booker tells Piers Morgan. "Please, I beg America, listen to the whole speech by the vice president, don't let the soundbites that the media's presenting to you, affect your mind. Listen to the whole speech."

Having recently completed his sixth year in office, the Stanford grad who was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and earned a law degree from Yale further urges voters to digest Biden's speech in it's entirety, praising it for it's merit:

"This was a substantive speech, about how we're going to reform Wall Street, about how we're going to protect consumers, about how we're going to stop the over-leveraging of banks, about how we're going to create a consumer Bill of Rights, a credit card Bill of Rights, how we're going to go against predatory lending," he explains. "All of that is the substantive things that my majority black city in Newark is concerned with. These are the real substantive issues that the media and that the soundbite politics is distracting us from."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as Booker shares his view of recently selected vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. breton

Very well spoken and great to hear a real wise Citizen

August 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul Shirley

I am not at all certain where to make a general comment about the show, so I am putting it here even though it is somewhat off topic. I have told many of my friends and family that "Piers Morgan Tonight" is one of the finest shows on television.
      Refreshing, interesting guests with a story to tell. Piers' interviews have been outstanding. I am deeply saddened that the show has taken on a very strong political bent, and is now no longer differentiated from so many other shows. Please get back on track, Piers.

August 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • vince

well great words but we going to let what the media tells about the chains burn in our very souls piers! hay man cnn do the same thing to people they do not like. Obama better scold his pup, them were fighting words he spewed on national tv. i for one am sick of these idiots making this nation the laughing stock of the entire world. heck man im sick of ALL THEIR LIES.

August 16, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robert

Piers, congrats on a show that I refuse to miss on Mondays thru Fridays. It's very entertaining inasmuch as the varied people that you share with us are all enlightening with their thoughts whether they be personal or political.

If I may, I found last night's episode very interesting with Mr. Giuliani and his reference to VP Biden's comments regarding "shackles." Interestingly, while he considered the VP as using "racial overtones," he in turn also used the "race card." If you will remember, in one of his many comments, he stated, "His preference was Mr. Romney would have been to have chosen Florida's Senator Rubio in order to draw the Latino Vote." Piers, this is a very racial statement. It's like olden times when the thought pattern was to have one female, or one Afro American in the picture, so to speak, to say that "we aren't racist." Well, in my opinion, to place someone of Latino decent in the picture with Romney just to divide the Latino vote is in itself racist. If Mr. Romney wants to use Mr. Rubio because he feels that he is qualified however, is a horse of a different color. But, just to use Mr. Rubio to divide the Latino vote for his own victory is indeed racist. "Racism through usury!"

Racism takes form in many fabrics of our society. Thereby, we must all be cautious in our ways of representing ourselves as well as defining others. A good lesson for us to remember is that when we point our fingers at someone else, our thumbs always point back to ourselves.

I wish you continued success.

August 16, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Marilyn Gerber

I agree with you and your guest that we need to do something about guns. I know that gunlovers hang their hats on the 2nd Amendment. I think that we should allow the kinds of guns which were in use when the 2nd Amendment was adopted. I'm certain that our Founding Fathers never envisioned the kinds of guns which are in use today.

August 15, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Randy Hotz

They ARE the same kinds of weapons, just more scary looking.

August 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jack stuart

So true the guns that are in use today that are automatic in nature are used by criminals not sportsman...did you see any in the shooting on the Olymics? NO! Criminals are the ones that are using guns to hurt people not decent gun owning people. I know those that have them and they havn't been out of the gun case since last hunting season for Ducks, Pheasant, or Deer. And by the way the Police shoot more deer in civilian areas that do hunters in deer season.. they do not relocate as they should.

August 16, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. troy

wow! it's obvious pierce morgan is a gop symphatizer always critical of the dems but constantly questioning the dems and always having streams of republicans on his show with their obvious negative attacks on dems!!!!!! thin but a gop plant

August 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • eroteme

I believe it is fairly well established that Democrats, particularly left-wing Democrats, cannot be blamed for anything, they do no wrong. They are simply more inelligent than the rest of us simpletons. When Biden the mouth utters the ridiculous, well, that's just good ol' Joe, that's the way he is.

August 16, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Becky

This is concerning Rudy Giuliani who is currently speaking on the Piers Morgan show. He is saying Biden is wrong to have said what he said about putting us all back in chains and, if a Republican had said anything like that, he would have been hoisted on his own petard, basically. I must beg to differ. As a West Virginian, I remember when Vice President Dick Cheney said West Virginians were stupid and inbred. He said it in front of a large group of people. Did it become big news? No. Did he prejudicially judge a whole state full of Americans, some of whom (obviously the stupid and inbred ones) voted for him and his retarded running mate? Yes. So shut up, Rudy, you obviously read from the same propaganda book as the other Republitards.

August 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jack stuart

This guy Broker knows about as much as you do and that's nothing!!!! Biden has stuck his foot in his mouth more than any other V.P. I can remmember at 70 years of age. Have you ever heard any intelligent persoon especially a V.P. of the U.S. speak like that...I have not and ran a corporation employing 42 people and have listen to Politicians speak probably longer than you have. Sorry your as wrong as wrong can be and so was Biden.

August 16, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • George Ferguson

To answer your questoin, President George W. Bush. He was not a VP, but was President.

August 16, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • toppergem

This whole "put ya'll back in chains" has been blown out of proportion by the media. Blacks that I have talked to are not unset about the remark. They know it is just smoke to cloud the issue by Romney and his crew. They think Blacks are so dump they can't see what is really up. We don't need the white folks to ride in on their white horses and save the day for us. We know when we are being insulted and we can spot racism in all of its many, many forms when we see it. So let's move on you have spent much too much time on this nonsense. And by the way I agree with VP Biden if the Republicans are elected WE ALL are going to feel like we are in chains!

August 16, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • dkp

It's not just that they think blacks are dumb, it's that they think whites are also dumb–dumb enough to think that Biden was pandering to blacks. The flip side of that is that he (and Obama) are "ignoring" whites. The Romney campaign is playing up the race angle to incite fear among whites who would otherwise sit out the election.

August 17, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
      • Danny

Good point. I hope it works!

August 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sharon

Guiliani refers to Biden as Uncle Joe and says Biden used a southern accent. Talk about racist statements. There are African-Americans who live in the northern US too. We don't all have southern accents. They used to refer to older black men as 'uncle' instead of Mr.

August 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Daniel Crowe

Clearly Mr. Booker has the Obama view on how good things are in his dream world USA, regretfully it is a nightmare for anyone not a government employee.

I have applauded your comments about gun control, but you let Mr. Booker pat Obama on the back for his efforts regarding guns, but forgot to ask him about FAST and FURIOUS. Where did those illegal guns come from? I'm sure the Dems could figure a way to blame Ryan for it as he is a congressman.
    D. Crowe

August 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oh boy

Those guns for Fast and Furious came from the USA because republicans want assault guns available to every American. Even those that choose to inturn sell them to Mexicans. The money made in the US is more important then the people that they kill.

August 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Danny

If the Republicans are to blame for the Fast and Furious they why did Obama use Executive Authority to keep the truth of the issue hidden from us? Unless he knew all about it.

August 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jane

Off topic perhaps, but I couldn't refrain......Referring to Paul Ryan as charismatic and super likeable is really a stretch if you ask me. Oh, that's right...you didn't ask me.

August 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Danny

Alot more likeable than Biden.

August 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Greg Curr

How can you defend the comments of Joe "Bigot" Biden. His words were so clear that even black democrats are calling him out on the comments asking how he can say one thing to a group of black Americans just because he was in front of them. Artur Davis, an ex Congressman who is black chastised Biden for his comments and others are saying they are growing tired of the us and them views as we are all Americans, not black and white Americans.

Also, Piers is far form a GOP supporter when he has guests like Dan Rather who is proven to fabricate "news" to give the GOP a black eye whenever possible. He talked tonight on how the Republicans are now using "sophisticated" ways of discriminating to cause what he calls voter suppression. I guess Dan forgot that Obama's Attorney General decided against prosecuting the Black Panthers who were caught on tape physically threatening voters away from voting against Obama in 2008.

Piers et al, at least provide views as a reporter would with the whole story.

August 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Melissa Jones

Dear Mr. Morgan,

Mayor Booker should run in 2016. This man is very impressive! He is the most articulate guest you have had all week. Now, I have to say that I think you need to move away from VP Biden's speech yesterday, do not fuel something that is not and was not intended. I will now switch channels because I can't stand Rudy ! I think you should start featuring guests that stick to facts.
    With respect.

August 16, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Bolton

This guy made more sense than any person on Piers show about politics of America I have ever heard.

August 16, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. .jack stuart

With all the Political news media coverage Mr. Morgan should stick to another avenue of Entertainment cause his guests are spoiling his show. It has become a Political mom bo jombo! With commedians entering the Political debate with opiinons that are irrelavent to reality they should stick to making people laugh on stage as a commedian as they are funny.

August 16, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. jj

gun,gun,gun!!!???
    Piers, much respect for your passion and dedication on the shooting issues.I must ask that you pause and take a breath ,but in no way stop.
    I have an issue that i need you to understand...Back when I was a young man and was learning how to camp ,fish and yes hunt...I was exposed to firearms of all kind. I took my states hunter safety corse, I was taken on hunts with my grandfather, father and older experianced mostly military trained family members and was closly moniterd and scrutinized as i was trained to use firearms. One of the most prominant isses in this training was that firearms were never called a gun.. in fact the word gun was used in the referance to a toy.

This may seem like spliting hairs or venturing into politicaly correct terminology, but being one that obviously understands the power of words, I know you will see and understand that the conotation of the word gun in no way caries the same power of the word weapon! You may say," what does it matter"? I assert that it makes all the diferance in the world! Using a gun has no referance of doing damage and therfore not doing anything harmfull.. using the word weapon is exactly the opposet.
    Please, Please! stop using the word gun! It does not serve your argument and quit frankly takes power from your assertions and make your comintary adolesant and badly informed.
    This being said, i make this assertion to you for the express reason that the argument and observations conserning firearm violance are extremly important.,and i don't wish them to be trivialised.
    As to how to keep weapons and amunition out of the hands of mentaly disturbed????
    I respect you and most of your arguments ..but to be honest, every once in while some of you arguments are somewhat crazy!?
    What if i convinced a majority that you were potentaly mentaly(crazy) disturbed and said due to this opinion i and the majority are going to take your ability to dive a car away until you proved your compatancy... at your cost and time!?
    .....".Well, that's diferent"...Realy... not by much if at all.
    It dosen't do much for the wepon argument but, lets be real.. more people are killed by crazy drivers than by crazy "gun" owners!!

A rifel, shotgun, pistol and even a knife should always be refered to as a wepon!

August 16, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. George Lazar

I live in Oakland and worked in Surgery at The Regional Trauma Center, Highland Hospital, for seventeen years. My first gunshot victim was a 16 year old crack dealer who screamed " I didn't think it was going to hurt this much " as we wheeled him into the Trauma Room. I have seen the result of numerous gunshot wounds over the years so I have a somewhat direct interest in the subject.
    I support your effort to challenge a system that allows mentally disturbed and highly stressed people access to lethal weapons.
    I would like to offer some of my thoughts on the subject if you care to listen.
    There is a list somewhere that presents the top ten stressors in people's lives with death of a loved one at the top followed by separation and divorce , loss of job etc. In addition to the usual questions that are asked of the gun buyer I think that additional questions could be asked that center on stressful events in the buyers life. Have you been separated or divoced recently? Have you lost your job recently? Has someone close to you died recently?They are then required to include the name and phone number of their Next of Kin. The person who does the profile screening then calls the next of Kinto confirm the buyers answers to the questionirre. If the answers don't agree with the buyers questionairre a red flag is raised.
    It won't be a perfect system but could help to exclude those who are prone to irrational impulsive behavior.
    What do you think? Regards, George Lazar

August 16, 2012 at 4:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Elizabeth Robben

I was very impressed with Corey Booker and his usual ability to cut through the media BS. The man has great intellect AND character. I hope he will run for president someday.
    The same cannot be said for Morgan's other mayoral guest this evening, Rudy Giuliani. He appeared on tonight's program for the express purpose of saying Joe Biden is dumb. After all, Giuliani was the mayor who insisted on locating THE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HEADQUARTERS ON THE 23RD FLOOR OF 7 WORLD TRADE CENTER along with the LARGE TANKS OF DIESEL FUEL necessary TO POWER THE COMMAND CENTER. Piers, perhaps you should vet your guests a bit more thoroughly.

August 16, 2012 at 4:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Adevarul

From Barry, the liar in chief, on Biden’s “put us back in chains” remark:

"We don't spend a lot of time worrying about the chatter and the noise and this and that," he said. "The country isn't as divided with gaffes or some stray remark as Washington is. Most folks know that's just sort of a WWF wrestling part of politics. It doesn't mean anything, just fills up a lot of air time."

What a lying hypocrite! Barry knows that if Romney, Ryan or anyone else on the right had made that type of remark to any audience in any region of the US, the MSM (main sewer media) and the PC police on the left would have launched a nuclear attack. TRUTH!

August 16, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Libdumb

What BS. this is not a slip of the tongue. Biden and this administration are raging racists. Every now and then the truth comes on. These words were written long before they were said. Biden should be in prison for hate speech.

August 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. maquignon

If Obama wants a level playing field why does he keep giving advantages to some groups.

August 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anthony

It was more of an overall there is a media bias agaisnt Palin...and yes your pictures of Biden are unflattering. But I more stress that someone decided to put THAT picture up of Sarah Palin and the others are Biden talking and sitting a table (where he doesnt look bad to me). I think I still have the stronger case.

September 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. samuel

Do Not like Rudy Giuliani !!

August 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ann

VP Biden did not say anything out of context. The Republicans are trying to make this a political issue.

August 17, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rahul

For one thing, it's a very easy question. It's plftecrey normal to ask where a politician get his/her information .you could at least BS and say I read the Wall Street Journal , or name a local newspaper in Alaska.Even if her reading/non-reading of newspapers isn't an issue, not being able to answer the question sends a warbly-at-best signal out there.Do I not get a gold star for the Biden video? SHEESH!

September 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. toppergem

Come on folks ! There was no uproar when Mitt Romney first mentioned us being “Shackled.” VP Biden was only saying that if we fell for the BS Romney was laying down, we would be back in chains. I take that as “Republican” chains. The chains that bind us from receiving fairness in taxes ,healthcare and many other things the government under the republican party ing Bamboozling us out of. Let’s get real ! It’s time to look under the covers, pull them back and expose the real villains.

August 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. I am black and I think Biden is an idiot

I am a black male from the south whose ancestors were slaves and Biden's comment was wrong! Totally wrong. This is the kind of comment that shows how white liberals can be ten times more racist than any right winged republican. To treat the african americans in the audience who in that part of virginia are mostly educated, own land and pay taxes like he is speaking to a bunch of thugs in detroit was insensitive and racist. It was racist even if he would have said it to the underclass in detroit or toledo ohio but blacks of the southeast are a different breed. They know who their great grandma is and where she is buried and they may still own the land she was buried on. They send their kids down to north carolina to be educated in the best schools that the Southeast has to offer so watch out Democrats. Keep up this kind of insensitive sterotyped talk to blacks and loose the upper middle class black vote that hangs in the balance right now. No I am not a far right winged black republican. I am however employed, a manager and pay a lot of taxes for everyone else the rich white folks and the black poor ones and I am sick of being overlooked. Biden when you come to a black middle class area act like it respect the demographic that put you in office this goes for all the other democrats. I don't expect this from republicans but I expect more than a speech with a lot of fear tactics from Joe . Put some substance in your speech when you come to southeastern united states the fomer colonies and watch your mouth!

P.S. Barack anytime you want to get a new running mate like a younger one whose wife is as fine as Paul Ryan's and really get ready to fight for this election let us know there are a bunch of us in D.C. , Viriginia and Atlanta that's ready for that decision.

August 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. I am a black from the South and Biden was brilliant

I am offended by the above comment made by a so called black from the south. I am too from the south, black , pay my taxes and know my heritage. I have one question for you sir did you look at the speech??? It is brilliant the best I have seen from Biden ever. In the speech Biden breaks down step by step how the republicans stole weath from the average middle class person in these united states. A lot of republicans don't want blacks who are intelligent to really put all that together. Yes its true I hail from the Carolinas and we blacks of the southeast are a different breed. We have history in our DNA and yes we know what's up so we count and Biden spoke to those blacks like they were the middle class educated tax paying folks that they are a lot whites don't like that they don't want the black middle class to be acknowledged but if the Dems don't acknowledge the black middle class of great cities like Danville , Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia SC and Atlanta GA they will be in trouble. Many of these blacks have the income to just to not vote in Nov. So Dems don't listen to them Biden's speech was brilliant as a black middle class black women of the southeast paying my fair share of the taxes I feel acknowledged for the first time. You didnt show up at a church and eat a chicked dinner with us. You came to a place of education and talked to working class and middle class blacks like people this is how to restore and win votes. You have mine. Come to South Carolina and do the same. We need the same speech and same sort of dignity -Restore the black middle class and win in Nov!!!!!!

August 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. william

Miss Larry King !! where is he ?? his sons must be teenagers by now..

August 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sadia

a word when this was happening to Hillary.And to suggset that Obama hasn't gone through the media ringer is ridiculous. Wright was a 2 month story!! How about Michelle hating America? Or Bittergate?? Or how about when Barack was a Muslim (or has Muslim ties, head nod JayHawk)?? And I'm still waiting for any proof on Rezko or Ayers...FYI, if Fox hasn't dug it up yet, there's nothing to dig up.So in summary, GOPers didn't say anything about Hillary's negative press, and Barack has had more than his fair share of bad press.

September 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. NOBAMA2012

A provision of ObamaCare is set to punish roughly two-thirds of U.S. hospitals evaluated by Medicare starting this fall over high readmission rates, according to an analysis by Kaiser Health News.

Starting in October, Medicare will reduce reimbursements to hospitals with high 30-day readmission rates – which refers to patients who return within a month – by as much as 1 percent. The maximum penalty increases to 2 percent the following year and 3 percent in 2014.

Why isn't MSDNC and CNN not reporting this!

obamacare is throwing the seniors and middle class under the bus!

obama wants seniors to die!

August 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. FEDUPWITHLIBERALS

There is no recovery. Dont let the numbers fool you... they have been cooked for a long time now. Obama has wrecked the economy and added over 5 trillion to the deficit with nothing to show for it. In the first two years he could have passed any bill he wanted but didnt even think about jobs. His "laser like" focus was on the golf course and lavish vacations while Americans lost their jobs. He is the biggest clown to ever sit in the Presidency... and he is done come November. I just hope there is something left to recover.

August 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. better golfer

of course like your web site however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth then again I will definitely come back again.

September 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply