Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 10th, 2012

Gayle King, to Donny Deutsch, on "Fifty Shades of Grey": "I don't want spanking of any kind"

Coming up this evening on "Piers Morgan Tonight," Donny Deutsch rolls his chair up to the desk for an unprecedented third performance as guest host.

Having previously filled in for Piers Morgan in March, and then again in May, the television veteran and advertising executive returns tonight, welcoming a panel of four powerful and successful women.

Joined by Lara Spencer of "Good Morning America," tennis champion Serena Williams, financial advisor Suze Orman, and "CBS This Morning" co-anchor Gayle King, Deutch delves into a guilty pleasure that has taken the female population by storm: The "Fifty Shades of Grey" book franchise.

"Most women want to be dominated in some form, because that was the core ... of that book," concluded Deutsch, referencing the E.L. James best seller.

"I don't want spanking of any kind. I don't want gentle spanking. I don't want hard spanking. I like soft caressing," shares King, a 57-year-old mother of two and well-known best friend of Oprah Winfrey.

"I think it's just different strokes for different folks," says Williams, fresh off of winning Sunday's U.S. Open and capturing her 15th Grand Slam title. "I think it just brought out maybe different feelings among different women who do like more things that are dominant."

"You're a beautiful women, very physically strong, is that intimidating to a lot of men?" asks the guest host.

"I think it is," admits the 30-year-old who's regarded as one of the greatest tennis players of all time.

"If I was a man, I would be all over 'that,'" quips Spencer from off camera.

Watch the clip, listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as Deutsch and the women touch upon politics, power, money, and equal opportunity.
___
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Guest Host Week • Piers Morgan Live
  1. gloria

Regarding the statement by Gayle King the it is the Congress that will have to change. If they continue to block 'the president .. it won't matter. The congress will have to change....I am so glad she stated the fact.

September 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Tom Rafferty

Gayle: Thanks for your intelligent appraisal of the congressional situation. Please, please, continue to state the obvious.

September 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dianne

Couldn't find anything about the talk of Katie Couric. I use to be a big fan of hers till she actually sabotaged Sarah Palin. I don't follow Sarah Palin but I think Katie

September 11, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rebecca

No Donny, most women do not want to be dominated by men. What an idiotic and offensive comment! I do not want to be dominated by a man and I don't know any women who do. This is the year 2012. I think you need to drag your knuckles back to your cave.

Piers, you would have been better off having an empty chair fill in for you. If this is the kind of misogynistic garbage your show encourages, I won't be watching any longer.

September 11, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Van

@Rebecca: You're taking it too far. He really just meant alot of woman enjoy a guy who can take charge in the bedroom. Stop being a butthurt feminist drama queen, calm the hell down.

Anyway, that was pretty funny.

September 11, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Courtney

The people that are screaming about this trilogy need to keep their mouths shut until they READ ALL THREE books. There is actually a storyline to it, it's not like woman just starting reading hustler magazine. I think what SOME women, especially after you've been married for quite a few years want to get out of their rut that their in, some would like to have their man take charge and express themselves in this area. A lot of men won't voice what they want with their wives and it can be frustrating, they don't talk about it, nothing. READ before you JUDGE!

September 11, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jeff

II happen to find physically strong women very attractive. Serena is right everyone is different. I find skinny weak women repulsive and I would never want to dominate someone.

September 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. susan

I read Fifty Shades and tossed it in the trash afterwards. It was nothing but domestic violence. The media needs to stop trying to force women back to the 1950's by constantly harping on this garbage.

I have no desire to be dominated and never will. If a man tried to pull that bs he would be gone immediately. I can't imagine any sane woman who would let a man treat her that way. I can't imagine any decent man who would want to treat a woman that way.

September 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. tig

Susan...really domestic violence. That is idiotic ! There is a story behind the books and it has nothing to do with domestic violence. Your comment is a slap in the face women who actually suffer from domestic violence. If you had read all the books you would have discovered the story and the reason he was the way he was. Maybe you read a different book because at no time did he force her to do anything she didn't want to do!

September 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply