Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 11th, 2012

Howard Lutnick on One World Trade Center: "I don't know why they don't change the name"

Coming up tonight at 9 p.m., Wolf Blitzer takes over for Piers Morgan, filling in as guest host on the 11th anniversary of the attacks of September 11th.

As "Piers Morgan Tonight" remembers, and reflects upon, the tragedy that destroyed the World Trade Center, Blitzer welcomes Cantor Fitzgerald Chairman and CEO, Howard Lutnick.

The global financial services firm's corporate headquarters was devastated on that Tuesday morning, and in the process, two-thirds of its workforce was killed.

Although he's pleased to see the rebuilding efforts in Lower Manhattan, Lutnick takes issue with the new structure bearing the same name as the old North Tower:

"Personally I find it odd that they would name it One World Trade Center. Frankly I think if they named it any company name I would think it was - you know the memorial is beautiful, but I don't know why they don't change the name," he admits to Blitzer. "That just seems so odd to me. Since the building I worked in was never called the North Tower, it was called One World Trade Center."

More than a year since Osama bin Laden was killed in Pakistan, Lutnick says things are safer, but admits his city will always be on the radar of those engaging in terrorism:

"You know New York is a spectacular place and those who are jealous of the way we live our lives are always going to, you know, to strike out, and you know we're always going to be a target, sadly," he says. "London is going to be a target. You know anywhere in the west, you're a target."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as Blitzer and Lutnick pay further tribute to the lives lost on September 11th, 2001.
___
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Guest Host Week
  1. satyrikon

Reblogged this on ΝΕΑ ΧΩΡΙΣ ΦΙΛΤΡΟ ΦΕΛΛΟΥ.

September 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. SURVIVOR

ACTUALLY...IT WAS -NEVER- CALLED [ONE] WORLD, AS IN ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!!! IT WAS KNOWN AS -THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!!!! ONE WORLD IS PROPAGANDA SPIN TO NAME THE CRIME AFTER THE CRIMINALS!!! AND, THEIR AGENDA!!! SO F-OFF HOWARD!!! THE...WORLD....TRADE CENTER.... NEVER, ONE WORLD, THATS A PROPAGANDA NARRATIVE, TO TRICK THE PUBLIC TO ACCEPTING THAT NAME!!!!

September 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Danny B

You have to be a world class a- hole. What the hell is the big deal here? This man lost 658 people in the tragedy and to this day is aiding their families and moron, that you are , this is your reaction?

September 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. katosmus

I have great respect and admiration for Howard Lutnick, my heart has always gone out to him and Cantor Fitzgerald for their lose on 9/11. But you left the best part of the interview out of this video, and that is Howards suggestion on how the next President should handle taxes. Instead of just handing out tax cuts to businesses, add an incentive tax that is given if they employ additional workers, I thought that was a brilliant idea.

September 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. notkatosmus

Did you read the HEADLINE?

September 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. christian shop

If you are really into fashion, you probably have lust over gorgeous bags.

September 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. adrian barrie smith

Howard Lutnick is not a nice guy. He has his Manager Andy Weller interview Butlers for his Townhouse in Manhattan, and said to me "Any gay Butlers applying need to be tested for Aids so the Lutnick children are not infected" Then later he said "No Butlers need apply over the age of 50. Anyone unemployed and in their 50's should just put a gun to their heads, and pull the trigger" Howard Lutnick covered it all up, used his lawyers to intimidate, and in my opinion he is a total ********
    My opinion. 1st Amendment. The press in NYC know all about it, but are too afraid to print it.

February 11, 2013 at 3:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary Beth

Are you one of the a** h**** who work for Mr. Spencer at I-Cap and try to cause trouble with Mr. Lutnick and his company? If that the case, I hope Cantor Fitzgerald and Company runs you out of business because you a real b***** and I will never have respect for you and your company. Where was I-cap after super storm Sandy and the tornado disaster in Moore, OK?

December 2, 2013 at 2:26 am | Report abuse | Reply