Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 21st, 2012

Newt Gingrich on Mitt Romney: "He's not in a competition to be likable, he's in a competition to be capable"

As Friday afternoon sees Mitt Romney release his coveted tax returns, this evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" invites fellow Republican Newt Gingrich to offer his unique brand of campaigning insight and political perspective.

With less than 50 days until the general election, and with Romney and Barack Obama running very close in the polls, the former House Speaker believes his former opponent [Romney] needs to become less polite, and more polarizing:

"He has got to stand up, he's got to be very firm, and very aggressive. And the country's got to look in and say 'Ya know? This is a guy who can be president. He's tough enough, he's clear enough. I get it,'" explains the former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. "He's not in a competition to be likable, he's in a competition to be capable. We need somebody who can turn America around."

Even as economic struggles continue across the country, with unemployment rates on the rise in some states, the incumbent has actually grown his lead, a fact Gingrich attributes, in part, to failures within the GOP candidates camp:

"Of course, there's this 47% statement which is, I think, not accurate, and was not a very clever thing to say, so Romney's had a bad couple weeks," the former presidential candidate tells Piers Morgan. "Part of this is the Romney people haven't gotten used yet to the fact that in a general election, if you're the conservative, you are running against a headwind all day, every day. And you've got to just stick to your guns, be very clear about what you're going to do, and not let the media distract you."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. as Gingrich offers his evaluation and interpretation of Mitt Romney's recently released tax returns.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Frank Mickowski

Piers, I just saw your interview with Newt Gingrich and it just made me sick to hear how he spun Mitt Romney's 10% contribution to charity as a good thing. For your information all Mormons are required to donate 10% of their annual increase to the Mormon Church or they will not be a member in good standing. That's got to be the charity to which he's donating. He's essentially just helping to grow and enrich the Mormon Church. Don't let him off the hook! There's a major story here! Follow it up!

September 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cauthon

"just helping to grow and enrich the Mormon Church" and "Mormons are required to donate 10%"
      Romney did not donate just 10%, he gave a lot more than that to charity.
      And, there is not supposed to be a requirement that a candidate for public office must belong to your church, or mine, or Romney's or any other. We have hundreds of churches in our great country, and we are living the dream of the Pilgrims and the Quakers and lots of others who came to this country looking for religious freedom – and found it here. Aren't you at least a little ashamed to be dumping on Romney's great record of charity on the basis of which church he donated to? There are lots of people complaining about Romney, mostly with little regard for the truth; let's not join them.

September 21, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Frank Mickowski

I'm not ashamed in the least by what I said; nor should I be. But nice try to try and guilt me....Just curious, are you a Mormon?

September 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eva

Romney's Tax Records, only shows that he is a business minded-individual. All this attention pointed toward Romney's Taxes and what he did or didn't pay is an attempt to make Americans mad at him. What would everyone be saying if he didn't take the legal tax breaks? They would say that Romney was not intelligent enough to save himself some money; How can he manage other Tax Payers money.

September 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Hi Eva. I think the point is that Mitt Romney has taken exceptional advantage of many "legal", but unethical tax loops to increase his fortune and that he wants to fix the rules to make it even easier for the super rich to keep on doing it, only more so. Aren't you the least bit curious why he so adamantly refuses to release his tax returns? You know the answer. There's something there he doesn't want us to see, and it's not because it will make us all feel good.

September 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. AJ

Sir,
    Big fan of you as you ask bold question without offending your guests.

I heard comments on gas prices being so high. I would like reporters to look at 5 year US average gas price. This does look like SNP 500. This is commodity priced world wide. So one thing it does tell us we are better off than where we were during Bush era. We can do something – enable top 1% to make more money with domestic exploration of gas/oil with no benefit to 47%, as same people will keep pricing it based on world market not US. By not doing that we can invest that money to develop alternate energy better for environment and America. We might create another 1% at least there will be some from 47% and that is what America is about.Last thing we do rush this, as we do know we are picking winners and loosening these policy decisions.

Also, most people with trading knowledge gas prices are driven by supply, demand and market expectation of supply and demand.

Thanks, AJ

September 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. jane

Everybody is talking about all that money that Mitt Romney has donated to charity......Isn't that just marvelous. Would somebody be so kind as to breakdown exactly where that money went ? Who benefited ? All those millions of dollars ended up doing exactly what ? I think it's only fair to ask that question.

September 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Hi Jane. You may be surprised to know that Mormons are REQUIRED to donate 10% of their income if they want to be a member in good standing. I can't say for a certainty, but I would bet any money that that 10% charity is going to the Mormon Church to help them grow and enrich them. If it isn't, then Mr. Romney would need to repent by Mormon standards.

September 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bill Saunders

I appreciate your coverage on the Romney tax returns, gaffs and the ongoing political campaigns for President of the United States. I am not a member of political party and often split my ticket. I am also the owner of a (very) small business in the economically depressed state of Ohio. While I wish my company had been successful enough to hire PWC to do my taxes, I have a serious problem with the Obama's campaign attempting to make this all about class warfare. While the way that we measure the unemployment in our country is ineffective and does not show the actual unemployment rate, it is obvious to most everyone, especially the unemployed or the unemployed that the Obama presidency has failed to bring about a successful change. In fact, the continued partisan bullying is not doing anything to help rebuild the economy. As a business owner, I don't want government to help me build my business. I want government to get out of the way. I want to hire people, provide good wages and economic stability and security for those that work for me. However, I don't want to be forced to participate in programs that do not benefit either my company, my staff or my community. I have no problem with wealth as I understand that only through financial success are jobs created. So, for Mr. Romney, I want to hear specifics about how his presidency will help me, my family and my company to further grow the American dream. For Mr. Obama, I want to know why his policies cannot trust my company to take care of myself, my family and my employees. All the rhetoric and the capitalization on unimportant gaffs only polarize me against the status quo. So now I want to see who really wants my vote.

September 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Hi Bill,

I think you make many good points in your comments and I feel for you and your position. Although, when I saw you use the phrase "class warfare" it seemed to me that you have bought the Republican mantra. Your comments on President Obama's failure to bring about successful changes make me wonder how much, if any, responsibility you give to the intransigent Republican-dominated House. Are you sure you're an Independent? On a similar note, I must admit for me it is hard to understand why any fair-minded person would think it is wrong for millionaires to pay a greater share of the tax burden. The only argument I can think of is that Republicans always promote "supply-side" economics with the promise that the wealth will trickle down to the middle class. But isn't it obvious that that isn't what happens? Where does the wealth go? The rich is making more profits than at any other time in recorded history right now. So I ask you, why are they sitting on their money? Why don't they take a chance and create the jobs that will share the wealth? The answer is simply greed. They feel safer holding onto their money I suppose, but that doesn't create new jobs and therefore, it doesn't trickle down to people like me. Personally, I think we should all pay a flat tax and we should consider demand-side economics. Put the money in the hands of the people that will spend it. That seems to be more equitable to me. Please know, I mean no disrespect for your position.

September 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lawrence C.

I was watching the interview and was amazed while everyone is focused on Romney's tax return no one is discussing how he came upon his wealth with his affiliation with Bain Capitol in the 90's and his hostile takeovers of companies. Putting many americans out of work and lining his pockets with taxpayer money when the companies went bust. He would borrow money from the banks invest a small portion of Bains money to by the companies amounting to 5 or 10% borrow the rest and place that debt on the companies books that they were taking over pocket a large fee for negotiating the deal sometimes up to 85 million for him and his cronies at Bain and when the company could no longer support that amount of debt on the books they would go bust the FDIC would cover the losses and Romney would pocket millions. Ever heard of KB toys well they are no longer around thanks to Romney. Look up what he did to Dunkin Donuts. the list goes on and on. That is how Romney gained his wealth by bankrupting companies on the American taxpayers dime and put hosts of people out of work. Look up what he did when Bain Capitol almost went bust he negotiated a deal with the Feds for 30 million to bail them out then threatened to liquidate the company by paying huge bonuses to himself and his cohorts if the government would not waive the debt another Tax payer funded scheme of Romney. So while everyone is focusing on his tax returns and praising him for donating to charity the majority of his wealth has been funded by you and I taxpayer. This information is all readily available if you know where to look. Apparently it wouldnt be politically correct for mainstream media to trash a presidential candidate because nobody is talking about it. Read the rolling stone article on Greed and Debt it spells it all out.

September 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. diane

Pierce, do u realize that alot of people look at you as making alot of money??? Just as u look at Mitt Romney?? Good for him for making money! Why are the american people so jeolous of people that make money. Why do they think the rich should pay their way?? I have a small business and yes i try not to pay any taxes that i don't have to according to the law. I'm double taxed as an employer. I'd rather give to charity's and donate to causes I believe in than give it to the government so people that don't really need it can eat better than me and have free breakfast and lunch for their kids.. Hell, they even have free lunch in the summer for anyone up to 18 yrs old! Really! What happened to peanut and butter sandwiches that i grew up with? People are lazy and spoiled because they know the government will take care of them. Young girls don't care if they get pregnant, because they know before hand, that government will take care of their baby and their education. Just go to prison and u will get a free college education. I'm tired of people being angry at people who work hard and have money. Isn't that suppose to be the american dream? I personally know people on government assistance that don't need it.. They sell or give away their food stamps because they get too much...Something has got to change I have no problem helping people when they are down, but too many people rely on the government generation to generation, its their way of life. I was single with kids, I was broke, I NEVER took a dime from the government. I worked 80 hrs a week. My kids were not on free lunch, they had to learn how to get by and i believe it made them better adults, knowing no one owes them anything in life. I am tired of giving up my hard earned money to people that CHOICE not to work and live off the system. Good for Romney for making tons of money!!! He shows he's a success...an example to what AMERICA is all about. My husband is military, deployed many times, fighting for all our freedom, fighting for our freedom to succeed and be proud of it!

September 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Hi Diane. I'm wondering if you know of anyone who is hard working and honest, but down on their luck. Is it your position to not offer them any help? Have you considered that there are many, many people who can really use the help to get back on their feet? Would you deny a low-interest federal loan for those willing to go to college to better themselves? My point is, there are many good, decent people in need who do not and will not abuse the system. We should help them. We should also reform all the bad policies that allow abuse of the system. I challenge you to try to think of those you know who might need some extra help and would not abuse the system. Know anyone whose medical bills have wiped out their savings? I do. Long illnesses and cancer have destroyed many a family. Don't you think we should help?

September 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • diane

Frank, I agree with you. As I wrote, I'm not against helping those who really need it. My problem is with the 80% that have their hands out that could figure things out on their own, if they had to. I have 5 employees. Four are on some kind of assistance because either their husbands choose not to work, can't keep a job, or they had more kids than they could afford. That may hit a sore spot in some, but its a privilege to have children, not a right. I only had two kids because that was all i knew i could afford. Why should i have to pay to feed other peoples kids because they had more than they could feed. Too many people use government help for a lifetime-not for a crisis. My one employee who's husband works two jobs for his family, just lost their house because of medical bills. Their baby has cancer. You'd think they would be bitter, they aren't. They have their son and are regrouping-looking to the future, understanding that things happen in life. They aren't getting any assistance-they are working hard to rebuild what they had. I'm not against helping those who need it. I've just seen too many people getting help from the government when they could be figuring things out themselves. I have seen drug addicts getting assistance for years-not help with their addiction, but food stamps, which they sell for drugs anyway. And i know because they are family members-abusing the system for decades...I'm saying we need a better system to help those that really need it-and not those who are using it for a way of life.

September 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cauthon

I’m not publishing my tax returns, either, but I can tell you one thing: I make a lot less money than Romney, but a few years ago when I was contributing the maximum to my 401K and my IRA, I was paying much less tax (as federal income tax vs gross income) than Romney paid last year. Because of the Bush tax cuts, millions of poor people are paying no tax at all – they got a 100% tax cut; how many rich people got that much? Millions more had their marginal rate reduced from 15% to 10% – reduced by 1/3 – and the increased exemptions still reduced their taxes even further. All that is in the past; the dirty, lying Democrats talk about tax cuts for the rich, but their idea of a tax cut is continuing what we have now. Our supposed leader likes to talk about making the filthy rich pay their fair share, but he won’t say how much that is. The top few % already pay most of the income tax. 2000 years ago the Bible said we will always have the poor with us; we offer some pretty good programs and spend a lot of money to help the poor, but most of the poor people would probably like to be able to find a job. Government does not create jobs, business creates jobs – if the government will get out of the way and let them do business. It’s time for real change we can live with; let’s get out from under some of that fundamental transformation that Obama promised us. He told us what he wanted to do – energy cost will unavoidably skyrocket, and if you build a coal-fired power plant you will go bankrupt, how’s that for openers? Too bad not enough people believed him when he told us his plans.

September 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Grandma

We need to wake up and ask tough questions. http://billmoyers.com/2012/09/21/mitt-tells-the-truth/

September 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Fgonzales

Re mitt Why average 20years of income tax returns .??? Did he actually pay a higher tax rate 20 years ago and a much lower rate the last 10 years?? Piers Morgan should look into that before he demand an apology from Reid

September 21, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Marjorie

Just had someone quit a full time job because it made their subsidized housing increAse"..I am a middle class tax payer and I am mad that I have to pay someone's housing because it is worth more to them to sit on their is ass while I work 40 plus hours a week to pay for them".if I quit my job my bills will be the same and I will not qualify for subsidies."..I am an independent voter..".show me the money

September 22, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Maddison

Mr. Morgan:
    If you are really interested in why the majority of the American people do not have money like Mitt Romney, you will anything left at the end of five years.
    Find out how they did their financial planning? did they get a professional to help them? Did they bother to invest any of the money in investments which were income bearing? I fear you will find that they didn't even think about saving any of the money.
    That is why the middle class never rises above that level of income, until the American public thinks ahead and plans for themselves, it will not matter how much wealth Obama redistributes by taking from those who do know how to plan and giving it to those who don't. That's like flushing a toilet. The government needs to get out of the business of taking care of people and instills the Post Depression Mentality of their grand[parents and great-grandparents in them.

September 22, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. J. Summers

Good article. I feel as if the media is focusing on all the wrong subjects, things I really don't care about like "likability," I want to hear more about economic plans, specifics about tax plans, job growth plans, etc. I want information that will help me to know who will be better at pulling us out of this poverty slump. Is Mitt actually this guy, or should we just stick with the status quo, I have yet to decide.

September 22, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ron

One thing to keep in mind that as a mormon he pays atleast ten percent of what the individual makes. But if you really want to be someone in the church you pay more. Look at the mormon apostles. They are finacial people bankers, ri You don't see regular people up in the ranks of the church.

September 22, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mike

Just watched your interview with Newt. Interesting how you tried to be slick with your question on holding politicians accountable for their statements (republican's of course, not democrats). Then you throw clear softball questions to the next guest who is obviously a democrat. Surely you don't consider yourself a journalist? You're an activist. And before you get too excited, this is true of CNN as well as ABC and let's be fair and balanced, Fox also.

September 22, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jeff

I want to see Obama and Buffett fulfill the moral imperative to pay their "fair share." Until then it's all hypocrisy. The filthy rich, morally depraved Hollywood types who keep hosting Democratic fundraisers should take out their checkbooks, too. Let's start by redistributing the wealth of those who keep advocating that the sharp tooth of government should bite those making over $250k deeper than everyone else.

September 22, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Lyn

When watching Pierce talk about Mitt's income tax returns, and charitable donations, Pierce didn't probe the name of the charity – was it to more than Mitt's church?

September 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

How much did you donate to your church? How much did you donate period? Do you think there needs to be someone going around telling folks how to donate their money? Way to go comrad, you tell 'em.

September 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jeff

by the way, Piers I thought you were going to take O'Malley to task on his comment that Romney's $4,000,000 in charitable contributions were good . . . if you were one of the receiving charities. You asked him what he meant, but you let him shake the hook. That smug SOB meant that the government knows better than Mr. Romney where Mr. Romney's money – and ours – should be spent.

September 22, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Griff.

"Why would you want to talk to a "Reptillion Republican' If you still don't get the Real Message from his Master??"

September 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Griff.

"I believe: They want what you have now!"

September 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. larry

Romney may be an insecure person..his money gives him a big ego & a strong ego..we feel he has a temper..& is scared stiff to debate the Pres..he talks & talks..does he really say anything constructive ? cannot trust him..he wants to be Pres. because his Dad never made it ,,,,

September 23, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Not only that, but Mormons have been trying to get one of their own as president for decades. In fact, the very first presidential attempt was the founder of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith. For Romney to clinch the presidency would be the "Holy Grail" of politics for the Mormon Church; not just an incredible ego rush for Romney, but a real coup for the Mormon Church. As you know the Mormons already throw much of their charitable donation receipts into lobbying and political activities. E.g., It was the Mormons who as the "New York Times" described it as "Mormons Tipped Scale in Ban on Gay Marriage." (see article dated November 14, 2008) According to the NYT, the Mormon Church called upon members to come out in mass to support the proposition and donate money to illegalize gay marriage. The article claims that... "Jeff Flint, another strategist with Protect Marriage, estimated that Mormons made up 80 percent to 90 percent of the early volunteers who walked door-to-door in election precincts...The money allowed the drive to intensify a sharp-elbowed advertising campaign, and support for the measure was catapulted ahead; it ultimately won with 52 percent of the vote." The Mormons are again attempting to buy the election for Romney this time. Thank god they have such a poor candidate who keeps sticking his foot in his mouth, or they might just succeed this time.

September 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

rather small minded. Do you really think there's some concerted Morman effort to have a Morman president? Sounds like something that nut job Jesse Ventura would be spewing. I'll tell you what's scary – electing a president who by his own admission sought out for his friends socialists and anti-American sympathesizers, who associated with a card carrying member of the communist party and members of the Weather Underground, and whose spiritual leader was Jeremiah "God damn America" Wright.

September 23, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Frank Mickowski

Not only do I think it, but the Mormon plan is really much grander than just the presidency of the US. Their true intent is to set up the "Kingdom of God" on earth with much more far reaching consequences. As for your diatribe against Obama, you are certainly welcome to your own opinion.

September 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

By the way, speaking of egos, I can't think of a single person other than Obama who wrote his autobiography at age 31.

September 24, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. evan

NO MILITARY SERVICE FOR ROMNEY OR HIS FIVE SONS ? OUR SONS DROVE DOWNTOWN & SIGNED UP FOR THE DRAFT AS SOON AS THEY TURNED 18 YRS.....ROMNEY WILL BEGIN WW 3..7 SEND OUR TROOPS ALL OVER THE WORLD..HE DOESN'T CARE..HE JUST WANTS THE " P O W E R " OF PUSHING PEOPLE AROUND....VERY SAD....ARE THERE ANY MORMONS IN THE MILITARY SERVICE,,DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING @ THIS RELIGION..THEY DO NOT BELIEVE IN DIVORCE BUT ROMNEY'S BROTHER HAS BEEN MARRIED 3 TIMES !...RUMOR IS FROM AN EXCELLENT SOURCE IN DETROIT, MICH....

September 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Mormons do serve in the armed forces. However at the age most young men join the military, Mormon young men typically serve a mission for two years to spread their version of the gospel and grow the membership of the Mormon Church. During 2011 it is reported that they had over 55,000 full-time missionaries serving worldwide.

September 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

I think we can all stand proud of Obama's service in our nation's military. It was the right thing to do. Oh wait, there was no service, just a community rabble rouser and lot's of indignation for our country. It's nice to see things equally. Talk the talk...

September 23, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Frank Mickowski

Per Associated Press via Boston.com...ROMNEY'S (NON) MILITARY RECORD FACES NEW SCRUTINY

"Critics note that the candidate is among three generations of Romneys - including his father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, and five sons - who were of military age during armed conflicts but did not serve...But as fighting in Vietnam raged, Romney spent two and a half years trying to win Mormon converts in France. About that same time, Romney's father would famously speak out against Vietnam, declaring that he had been "brainwashed" by military officials into supporting the conflict...."

Need any more be said about the hypocrisy of Mitt Romney's double standard? He hawkishly would send send our young men and women in harms way; but he would not go himself were he of an appropriate age.

September 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rose

Dear Piers, Are you completly stupid or are you just out of touch with reality.Your interview with Amanijhad you asked about the Ambassador Stevens being killed at the Embassy.He was not murdered at the embassy He died at a safehouse not an embassy.Your reporting just shows why we are hated around the world .You lie about the facts and try to make the issue distorted.Are you an american puppet .You are certainly not a serious journalist .Tell the truth you cheap english tramp..Suck on some more Federal reserve currency.You have no honor ,no humility and you don't really give a s@#%^t about anything that is true or substantial.Screw U Piers Morgan.Stop lying to people .God is watching and you are not doing well PUTZ

September 23, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank

Gosh Rose, didn't your mother teach you manners? Your point of view might be better received if you were more civil with your dialog. As such, I for one will not give you credence because your argument is too vitriolic and emotional.

September 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jeff

Frank and the rest of you who want to tar Romney with the Morman brush, consider the alternative. Let's assume you're right. First, to say Rommey wants to turn America into the Kingdom of God because that's what you believe is the ambition of Mormans is essentially saying that all Muslims want to destroy America. If Rommey were Muslim isn't that what you'd be saying? Second, instead of focusing on Romney's general affiliation with the Morman church, let's look at Obama's actual circle of friends and associates and consider – if a candidate's affiliations with others and their beliefs, religious or otherwise matters- which guy looks more dangerous to the ideals of America? To me Obama wins hands down. And we now have the benefit of four years of performance from which his vision is clear- a smaller America with a bigger federal government, and he won't hesitate to bankrupt the country on the way.

September 24, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Mickowski

Hi Jeff,

If one accepts that Obama is a Muslim and if one accepts that Romney is merely brushed by Mormonism, I can understand your point of view. Please understand though, that I respectively disagree with both these premises; and therefore I have a different point of view.

I know the Republican political spin machine has attempted to cast doubt on President Obama's religious faith. They have been able to get away with this because during the four years Barak Obama lived in Indonesia he attended the "Roman Catholic St. Francis Assisi School" and was registered as a Muslim because his father was a nominal Muslim. The fact remains however, that Obama was attending a Catholic school and began and ended each day with Christian prayers. During his fourth and last year there, he transferred to a public school in Indonesia and attended it for less than a year. For my part, I have heard nothing coming out of his mouth or the White House to suggest he believes in the Muslim faith. If anything, he has aggressively pursued the radical elements of the Muslim faith who have declared war on the US. I don't think you have anything to worry about him being a Muslim in disguise.

As for Mitt Romney being brushed by Mormonism, the facts state otherwise. Mitt Romney is a product of Mormonism. He comes from several generations of Mormon stock. You may be interested to know that his great grandparents fled to Mexico to escape America's anti-poligamy laws. In fact, Mitt Romney's great grandfather Miles Park Romney had four wives and thirty grandchildren. One of them (George Romney – his father) was born in Mexico, but moved back to the US to avoid the Mexican Revolution before Mitt Romney was born. Mitt Romney also served a mission in France for two and a half years during the Vietnam War (avoiding the draft). He rose in the mission ranks to become "Assistant to the President," the highest position attainable by a missionary. He has also been a bishop and a stake president for the Mormon Church. If asked about how Mormon he is I'm sure he would answer, "I am a Mormon, true blue, through and through." It seems to me you can't get more Mormon than that.

When you look at the facts, it's hard to imagine that President Obama is a Muslim because there is no evidence of his participation in the Muslim Faith. When asking the same question about Mitt Romney, however, the evidence is overwhelmingly abundant.

For these reasons and other, I have a hard time accepting your position as outlined in your comments.

September 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jeff

you missed the point. I don't think Ibama is a Muslim. But it is true that his father was a polygamist, so it's not like the Mormans cornered the market on that.

September 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. marianne & tony

where are the remainder of the tax returns/maybe 10 yrs of them/ ..he is HIDING quite a bit we think..also Ann Romney had horrible taste in clothes...doesn't she have someone to help her..?the 5 boys were very difficult to raise,,they trashed ev residence...it was difficult to keep help...SHE HAS TERRIBLE TASTE IN CLOTHES....

September 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

she's a Morman. Ask Frank, he'll tell you Ann usually dresses in frocks. She's only wearing regular clothes as part of the Morman conspiracy to elect a Morman president, upon which all women will be clothes shopping at Frocks R Us.

September 24, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. kafantaris2

Aside from coaching, to prepare for debate one also needs to read, reflect, and most importantly, to write, and write - starting with just about anything to get the mind in gear.
    Neither candidate can do this when forced to bounce from place to place, or when constantly at the beck and call of others.
    Both President Obama and Governor Romney should, therefore, tell their handlers to leave them be for a while - so they can rest, collect their thoughts, and reflect on the issues facing our country.
    We expect much from both of them, and they should try to deliver.
    Despite the polarized electorate, this election transcends politics and is about the future of our country, if not the world.

September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Wendy

No minds are going to be changed on this thread. Hate is taking over and that is never a good sign

October 1, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. icons designs

I am am excited too with this question. Tell to me please – where I can read about it?

October 9, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse | Reply