Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 28th, 2012

Tommy Hilfiger on presidential fashion: Obama "should have his game on"

Coming up this evening at 9, Designer Tommy Hilfiger stops by the "Piers Morgan Tonight" studios for a sit down interview. Famous for his "All-American" brand, the fashion icon weighs in on the styling of the presidential candidates and their wives.

"I think he's much better off in a suit," said Hilfiger about Barack Obama. "He needs to be in a suit and he's really professional and proper in a suit and he's being photographed all the time so he should have his game on."

On vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan:

"I think he looks like an American businessman on a weekend and I think he's trying to portray that - I think he wants people to think he's the guy next door in his dress, so I think he's accomplishing that."

Watch the clip to hear his thoughts on Mitt Romney, his wife Anne, and Michelle Obama. Then tune in tonight as Hilfiger talks about the economy and what we can do to bring more jobs to America.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Toni g

Piers Morgan makes me gag. He has unrestrained hatred for Obama because he will not appear on this cheeses B list show. He has apparently decided the Romney's are the closest thing we have to his beloved royalty and nearly wets himself in their presence. His interview in London was lame. Oh, Larry, I miss you. Find an American that can pronounce "Barack" please?????

September 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. David MacDonald

Its ironic that Mr. Hilfiger stated that "America needs jobs". When he ran his company (he has since sold it), he moved factories to Saipan in the US Commonwealth of the Marianas. Making that move allowed him to use the label "MADE IN THE USA" but dodge incoveniences like minimum wage. Piers, why dont you ever jump on these guys when they pull this mock businessmans concern? Granted, it was a fluff piece, but it still rankles me when these billionaires spout off about jobs. How about they keep their factories in the US...that would make a lot more jobs than the results of any presidential election. Shame on Hilfiger....

September 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lizzie

What a vile hypocrite Tommy Hilfiger is and what a wuss Piers was tonite. I am fuming. So Mr. Hilfiger thinks the US NEEDS MORE JOBS. Well, Mr. Hilfiger why don't you employ US WORKERS to cobble together your clothing brand? Of course, Piers didn't call him on this. OK his grandchild has autism, truly sorry. But again, he probably wouldn't give a damn about autism if it didn't affect his family.

September 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Peter Simmons

Saw Piers Morgan interviewing Tommy Hilfiger, and was astounded that the entire interview lasted only about 5 minutes, INCLUDING a commercial break! Now I am definitely not a "fashionista", just a guy who normally wears jeans and a T-shirt. But I would have been VERY interested in learning A LOT MORE about Hilfiger...after all, he is a living American icon who started a giant clothing empire from virtually nothing! But Piers just superficially skimmed along, giving Hilfiger VERY SHORT SHRIFT, asking only a few questions, and then (after the commercial), saying goodnight to him. I was expecting Piers at that point to get into the MEAT of the interview! This interview was a truly sorry excuse for professionalism, and I must say that as a journalist, Piers has come down quite a few notches in my estimation. I believe he (Piers) owes all of us an apology, especially Hilfiger.

September 28, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DavidMacDonald

Mr. Hilfiger is definately an American success story, but Id be a lot more interested in his success if I knew that he acquired it by employing ethical labor practices in his factories. These men have amassed millions..or in Hilfigers case, billions, on the backs of people they cant even pay minimum wage to. Then, on top of that, they have hired lobbyists to make sure they get manufacturing tax breaks (so they can pocket even MORE money). I for one am tired being told that these guys "give back" when they buy their yachts and jets.

September 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lizzie

As you can see from my post above, I agree with your thoughts. I do not begrudge anyone making money but don't insult the viewer by stating that you care about American jobs. Just give the working stiff a break with a decent/livable wage, some health insurance and a little % kick into a retirement fund.

I wish I had the ability to post a picture on here that I took during a vaca in 2005 showing Mr. Hilfiger's yacht that was docked in Miami. It was fabulous with a helicopter on the back. I thought it was very cool and cheers to him. But buddy, spread a little around to the work force in the USA or, for that matter, whatever country you are exploiting.

I also remember seeing somewhere on the net (who knows if this is true) stating that Mr. Hilfiger labels his clothes made in the USA when in fact they are made in a small impoverished island that is under the control of the US. This is misleading but perfectly legal. Pretty shady.

September 29, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. BD

Mr. Hilfiger referred to the First Lady as "Michelle" and Anne Romney as "Mrs. Romney". Typical!!!!

September 29, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. michael

to Pierce Morgan
    all of the messages I just receently sent you are from The Warning Second Coming
    God Bless

September 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Trisha Sue

Mr. Tommy Hilfiger has been in his industry for quite some time already. He is trusted by a lot of famous celebrities and personalities in terms of fashion. I believe he was just stating his opinion on Obama's fashion sense and I do not see anything wrong with that. What he said did make sense.

October 1, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sell your own designed things for free.

I don't even understand how I finished up right here, but I thought this put up used to be great. I do not understand who you might be however definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

November 24, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse | Reply