Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 1st, 2012

Chelsea Handler on "50 Shades of Grey": "That was just so poorly written ... it's a piece of trash"

On Friday evening, Piers Morgan invited television personality and author Chelsea Handler to return to the "Piers Morgan Tonight" studio and bring along her incomparable blend of candid commentary and unfiltered insight.

As the topic turned to literature, the author of the upcoming "50 Shades of Chartreuse: This Time It's Personal" shared her feelings on the book from which her newest work has seemingly been lifted:

"It's not a take-off on '50 Shades of Grey,' I just wanted to rip off the title because I just thought it was such a stupid book," said Handler.

Saying she attempted to read the E. L. James novel – but made it through only seven chapters – the "Chelsea Lately" host doesn't understand the attraction:

"It's a phenomenon, I don't profess to be ... a scholarly writer per se. I know my books are really silly and stupid, but I at least think they're amusing to some degree. That was just so poorly written," Handler told the host. "It was insulting to anyone's intelligence to read that. Then my friends who had suggested that I read it, I e-mailed them like you should be ashamed of yourselves for finishing this kind of book. It's a piece of trash."

Watch the clip and listen to the interview, as Handler goes on to reveal intimate details of her own private sexual escapades, in the process drawing a stark comparison to the scenes detailed in the infamous trilogy.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. mary

couldn't agree more with chelsea, one of the worst books I've ever read, so badly written. the characters were laughable, so one dimensional and if that's what women are turned on by, we are in a sorry state.

October 2, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • KATHY MACNAMARA

I totally agree with Chelsea! I read about 4 chapters and kept waiting and waiting for the "GOOD" part...it never came.
      I finally threw it on the table at work with a note on it that read "If anyone wants this book, it's yours....for Free....Dumbest book I ever started to read".

March 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. suzane

I love Chelsea – she is very funny, talented and her show constanly makes me laugh out loud. I love it! I also loved, loved, loved 50 Shades and say E. L James success is well deserved. I don't agree with Chelsea on this one, poorly written or not, it was a joy to read – so you both keep doing what your doing as I get to enjoy the best of both worlds!

October 2, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Pat Powers

Handler is in no position to criticize 50 Shades of Gray. I tried to watch Handler's talk show, it was too stupid for words, and not at all funny, as you might expect from a talk show that is a leader in midget-based humor. 50 Shades of Gray is a bestseller for a reason, and Handler is having to leach off it for a reason.

October 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Annette

I agree with you Pat. Handlers show is horrible, not funny at all. Yes, Fifty Shades of Grey is a best seller proving that this is what most people like. Jealousy just plain jealousy!

October 3, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jennifer

jealousy will get you know where

October 3, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jin Zhao

Wow, your comment is telling. "jealousy will get you 'know' where"?

March 13, 2014 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. inferencial

Dear Chelsea, Who are you and what do you want and are you a real blonde.......mmmmm

October 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Cole

Not jealousy, that was such a poorly written book. I could not read into the third chapter...it seemed like it was written by a high school student.

August 14, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. leidi

Stupid book!

November 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. InsertNameHere

The book is laughably bad. Having a best seller book doesn't always mean it is a work of quality. It just got a lot of frustrated peoples naughtiness out, and when you consider how hilarious it is, is a riot all on its own. If people like it, fine. It doesn't bother me any, but it seems to be one of those guilty pleasures similar to watching those really bad b, c, and d movies, or a sci-fi channel original movie.

March 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply