Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 1st, 2012

Marie Osmond on sharing a religion with Mitt Romney: "I don't care what they believe ... I vote for the person"

Coming up this evening at 9, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes Marie Osmond for a candid and endearing face to face interview that comes with less than 40 days until the general election.

The 52-year-old singer and actress is a member of the Mormon faith, the same religion practiced by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. But simply because the former Massachusetts governor shares Osmond's religion, that does not mean he can automatically count on her vote:

"I don't care what they [the candidates] believe," she tells Piers Morgan. "I vote for the person."

A well-known entertainer for virtually her entire life, Osmond feels her industry colleagues are guilty of pushing their own agenda and opinions into an arena that they don't belong:

"I don't play politics, I don't do that. I think there's too many celebrities out there claiming what they believe," says one half of the famed "Donny & Marie" brother-sister duo. "I think it's our job to get people out to study the issues, and to know what they believe, and what they want to vote for."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 as the host of the new talk show "Marie" further shares her insight on being Mormon and what it may mean if Romney were to become the first Mormon president.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Griff.

"You need both hands if you want to be in control, Just being a lefty is not enough!
    To be a master of a debate, you have to know what direction you're coming from right from the start. You don't want to make a mess. When it's much ore enjoyable to just take your time, and find what the other guy can deliver ahead of you!"

October 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Elle B

"I don't care what they [the candidates] believe...I vote for the person" Love this. There is a serious problem with religious intolerance. People seem to pick and choose which religions it's okay to tolerate.

October 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Griff.

"it's about who has some real sperm that can make it happen. So far you have a drooper, who still can't get it up!"

October 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Griff.

"So far Obama's spous won both of his debates, and finished up with two Daughters, He is finished!!! Where as Mitt Romney has four sons, grandsons, and still many more to come!!!"

October 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jaker, Dublin

For President... Poor Mitt...isn't it...isn't "Fit"!

October 1, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gwendolyn Girolamo

Please give her a hair cut. Why so much "New Jersey Style 1985" style. She is constantly flipping it which is not classey or sopisticated. More credibility if change from Farrah Fawcett to today's woman. Much too old to pull off.

October 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dakota

Think you can be any more shallow?

October 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. RG-X

WHAT? This country was NOT founded on church & state being seperate – it was founded on Biblical principles – the church & state seperation was chaned by man to justify his life-styles – So Dear Maire – I love you – however, you are incorrect.

October 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jjjohnson

Try reading why and how the country was founded. Why were people leaving England? What do you think the country
      was founded upon?

October 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. sathanuman108

Dear uninformed fundamentalist Christian, Maria Osmond nor you are correct. Massachusetts (1620) was the first Christian colony outside of Catholic Florida (founded by Spanish in 1500s-St. Augustine) Unfortunately for the Spanish they had to convince the native Seminoles that their Christian beliefs were superior. On the other hand Rev. Roger Williams was exiled from the Bay Colony because as a Christian he felt it was wrong to force his beliefs on native peoples. He was the originator of "Separation of Church and State". That is not his words but Thomas Jefferson 100 years later in Virginia. The 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights gave us separation of Vatican rule or Church of England rule. There is no one religion which is allowed to be sanctioned by the state. All are equal. You need to educate your self a little more and evolve. Being a Christian doesn't give you the authority to rule over others. No one has that right in the United States. Its called Liberty and that is our sacred commitment to each other. Spend more time reading the Book of Mathew then justifying your religious beliefs. Christ is a state of perfect human being. He employs you to be the same. Chapter 5. As far as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (called Mormons) to make them the "other". Joseph Smith (a Mason by the way) was murdered in Ohio because of his philosophy and beliefs by Christians. Neo Nazis in America, KKK also consider themselves Christians and they are no where in the league of Jesus' teachings or message of Love, service and Truth. By the way, the state of Rhode Island founded by Rev. Williams is the only state of the 50 founded on Religious Liberty. Trouro Synagogue is in Newport, RI, the oldest Jewish house of worship in America. That is Christianity.... allowing others to be and serving all as you would serve God!

October 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. james

You should not be judged by the content of your faith, but by the content of your character
    !

October 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sathanuman108

Character is the real thing. Faith is personal. Your are 100% on the mark. But as far as Judging others, Jesus doesn't say not to judge. he says judge not less you will be judged. We all judge others. We should spend more time judging our own actions and words used in anger and fear. If one judges be prepared to be judged!

October 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • trub3liever

It's obvious that you are very well versed in the Bible, and I am impressed with how you respond to people without trying to make them feel bad or putting them down. I appreciate seeing someone with knowledge teach instead of berate. Thank you Sir.

October 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • sathanuman108

I am a male. My name is SatHanuman Singh Khalsa. I am sure you realize that "Singh" means "LION" and all male Sikhs have this as our surname or middle name. I have lived this path for over 40 years. I never converted to it. I adopted what I already was within. My knowledge of the New Testament and the Old originally came from my upbringing. I was raised in a virtuous environment with many mentors and parents who lived a noble life. In 1971, I began to practice a form of yoga from a Teacher who left India and originally resided in California. he later moved and eventually left this earth in New Mexico. . Many spiritual guides who came to the west from India were Hindus. By good fortune, my Teacher was a Sikh. His example inspired me to adopt the path of Guru Nanak. I see God (the Divine) in all (religions) and in all people regardless of their faith or no faith. The Bible is a book of stories and parables. I don't spend any time reading it but the essence of Christ is universal and I honor his teachings.

October 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. trub3liever

Sorry for assuming that you are male, so if I have erred please accept my apologies. So, thank you sir or ma'am whichever applies.

October 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. lroy

Way back once upon a time, in June of 1971 I started my pre-teen years cutting out pictures of Donny Osmond...a practice I continue to this day (only the names have changed). I didn't know, of course at eight years old, what religion they were and didn't really care. I too vote for the candidate's issues and what I know is Obama isn't on MY page for one single important issue to me.

October 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. lroy

I disagree. One's faith SHOULD be the guidance for anyone, let alone a political candidate, to live their lives. A public figure should be even more so because they have to answer to more people.

October 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Obi_donkenobi

I'm an atheist, and don't care for either candidate's religious beliefs, both of which to my mind are ridiculous. However, I find the Mormon religion to be orders of magnitude more ridiculous than the more "regular" or "main stream" Christian beliefs. Here's my problem: If Mitt really believes the total hooey of the Mormon faith, and as a former Bishop of that religion, I'm assuming he does, it makes me truly question his sanity, or at least his ability to think critically. Can we afford to have someone in the most powerful political seat in the world who believes in magic underwear, or golden tablets, or magic dishes, or that Indians are a lost tribe of Israel, or that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri, or, or, or…do you see my point? It does matter what a person in a position that wields enormous power believes, or is capable of believing. For that reason alone, besides the numerous other reasons Mitt is totally unsuited for the job, we cannot allow him into the White House.

October 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred

Just based on your comments it is obvious to me that you are not the chosen intelligent one that you claim to be. It is easy to make a claim against something that you know nothing about. Youare an example of one whom if a person knew you that no one would desire to have you in a position of power.
      I do believe that you will one day eat your own words. In the first place there is no such thing in the LDS faith as magic underware and if you are like others who are ignorant of that faith one could not trust one word that you say. You sir are a dime a dozen when it comes to those who claim to be intelligent but are in fact sorely lacking.

October 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • score7467

Fred, I agree that Obi_donkenobi's post was a litle off base but there are some aspects of the Mormon faith that I think Christians would be suprised to hear about. The first of these would be the belief that when you die, through good works not faith (the main staple of protestants religion is that salvation is acheived through faith alone) you will become your own God of your own universe and run it how you see fit as God did with this world. This is the main sin in the Christian faith that is unforgiveable; to say that you can be God and not need God anymore. That according to the book of Revelations is one of the beleifs of the Anti-Christ. I have researched this topic and found several LDS members to admit this belief. I think if this was brought up this would create a schism between protestant faith based Christians and Mormons

October 2, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Obi_donkenobi

Hi Fred: I found your reply very interesting. I never claimed to be the "chosen intelligent one," and am left wondering why you chose that angle of attack. As for being ignorant of LDS beliefs, as far as I have been able to learn through web research, what I stated is indeed what Mormons believe. If I'm mistaken, please refer me to a resource that refutes any of it, and I will be happy to look it up.

Fred, I would request that if you wish to engage me in debate on this or any other subject, to please refrain from personal attacks – questioning my intelligence. I'm not out to "get points," or hurt feelings. I'm looking for the truth, the same as you. We can help each other get to it, or you can beat me up – I won't respond in kind. This subject – who should be President – affects the world. It concerns me. The possibility that a man with a weak grasp of reality might win that position concerns me greatly. That's all.

October 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sathanuman108

Well my dear Atheist brother. You'd better care. POTUS Barack Obama supports your non-religious beliefs. Mr. Romney's part does not. This nation will survive as secular and there is nothing fanatics and fundamentalists can do about it.

October 3, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Forest D. Holycross

I understand you being a morman do care what they say cause President Obama is for equality which includes Gay and Lesbian rights which religious people do not believe in. I am a Gay male who served in the U.S. Air Force for 19 years but because I am gay I was thrown out in 1989 after serving 18 plus years and received nothing and have been fighting this every since. I would love to come on your show and tell my story but due to the fact I was not in a war this would be not possible and also due to the fact you probably bwelieve that GOD did not put us on this earth but remember he is all powerful and could take us out. Remember we are not to judge this is his job.

October 4, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply