Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 2nd, 2012

Arnold Schwarzenegger on his extramarital affair: "What I've done is just about the stupidest thing that any human being can do"

On Tuesday evening, "Piers Morgan Tonight" invited Arnold Schwarzenegger to sit down for a candid and emotional face to face conversation.

Fifteen months since his wife Maria Shriver filed for divorce, the 65-year-old actor and author opened up about the repercussions stemming from episodes of marital infidelity:

"It’s my fault. There is no one else to blame for. I wouldn't even begin to start pointing the finger at anybody. Because the reality of it is, is that I created it," admitted the former governor of California. "I created my career and all of those kind of things, and the relationship, and all of this. But I also screwed up badly. And I take the full blame for it."

On the day that his illegitimate son Joseph Baena turns 15 years old, Schwarzenegger takes full responsibility for an affair with his family's longtime housekeeper, Mildred Patricia Baena, that left his personal life shattered:

"It makes no difference what was going through my mind at that time. It doesn’t clean up the mess. It doesn’t soften the blow to my family," says the youngest ever Mr. Olympia winner. "What I've done is just about the stupidest thing that any human being can do."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as the star of such films as "Total Recall" and "The Terminator" shared personal details of his private life, revealing emotional perspective like he's never done before.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Ricardo

Piers, I cannot believe that you would have a low life individual like Schwarzeneger on your program. His opinion on anything is of no importance to anyone in America and less in politics. Don't lower your standard, it has been superb so far.

October 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lauren

Arnold has been on EVERY talk show. Again, he is a megalomaniac – a huge Ego. The reality is that he has brought shame to his family but yet he again is USING this, to his advantage – does he see a profit in everything, i.e., selling his book....To rub the marital reality in the world's face to further disgrace his wife and kids, seems to be his plan. What person would want to write his life story after his marriage fell apart the way it did. I don't believe anything he says. As Maya Angelou once said, "a person tells you only once who he is. Believe him."

October 3, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. vicky

Arnold. I admire and respect you for taking care your son and for your honesty. I hope that you and Maria will get back together. Time heals all wounds. Best wishes.

October 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nani

Talking honestly ? Schwarzenegger son with Baena is 14 years old now. You think this 14 year old does not watch TV or can read? Calling this child a MISTAKE is wicked. Baena was his house keeper for 20 years. He knew what he was doing when he was in the sack. It callec white master syndrom. He wanted Clinton impeached as I remember. He married a Kennidy to climb the social ladder. He did not fail his wife or his children. He failed himself. It's about $$$$ not his wife or kids. How can he love one child and not the other?

October 2, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ephrem Johnson

There you go again Piers...giving another interview to an unworthy bum. Just like you did with Casey Anthony...that's why I stoped watching your show. Giving Arnold Schwarzeneger that interview show's that your not fair when it come's to news worthy interviews. This man cheated on his wife and now want's to profit off of it...child by another woman while he was married....and you want to help him do that by giving him a platform to push his garbage. SHAME ON YOU PIERS.

October 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grandma

Why do invite such trash to your show? There are so many worthy people you can invite. You don't owe any one any thing. You are a big boy now!

October 3, 2012 at 7:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nancy

I too was totally turned off by Piers's interview tonight. That he would even consider Arnold for an interview is disgusting. And, even more upsetting is the fact that you treated him like royalty with compliments, co-miserating, and just building him up in every possible way – "greatest actor ever" – come on that's definitely a stretch. He is a man that is to into himself it's shameful. Brag, brag, brag. His personal story is nothing spectacular; thousands of people have suffered even more and don't write books about their lives. He is attempting to get into the good graces of the public. Does he really think we're that stupid. He has used people to his advantage – end of story. Shame on you Piers – you've lost some of my admiration.

October 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

You said it well! Thank you.

October 3, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • gogome26

The stupidust thing happened when Maria married that creature.

October 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rose S.

Not only this interview was your interview with Schwarzeneger tonight disgusting, but the interview with Ahmadinejad from Iran, topped the cae. You asked him how many times he has been in love, but not why he wants to kill all the Israelis, are you serious? Journalism used to be unbiased and the men and women that belonged in that group had consciences, but no more. You exemplify the liberal, biased media, and that is why few people find you credible anymore. Don't know how you get a good night's sleep, really! I know that CNN is in denial of how many people no longer watch their channel, and how sad that they think that most of America believes the lies they expound. We are not as dumb as you think we are, and this election will prove it, Obama will lose by a large margin, because all of the polls are only using registered Democrats! Soul search all of you journalists and think about integrity, honesty and what is right. If you have consciences, that is.

October 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wake up

Iran does not want to kill Israel or any one. Iran is afraid of what's going on while American keep there blinders on.
      Wake up and see who is running America? Piers finally was taking his job more seriously.

October 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jen

CNN is not in denial, you are.
      This is not Fox new.

October 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hanna

Rose where do you get your facts from? Was it Fox News? To enlighten your self please read and hear from foreign media and not Fox or News Max.
      If you did not know the second largest group of Jewish people out side Israil live in Iran.

October 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Rachel

Pierce would find a man fantastic if he was poor ? 5 foot 1 inches and weight 120 pounds ? And spoke with an with a Hindi accient?
    Arnold has four children with his previous wife Maria Shriver, Katherine, Christina, Patrick and Christopher.
    Arnold's secret kid called Joseph with a former employee, Mildred Patricia ‘Patty’ Baena is his fifth child.
    Joseph and Christopher are four days apart. I am sure both boys have lots in common.

Why is Joseph age 14 a MISTAKE ? Why would Maria take Aronld back?

October 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. aa

I don't know who a
    is advising you but what was just wrong.

October 3, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Josiah

I have actually never been inclined to try to reach a host or any television personality through these smoke signals to convey my disappoitnment but may I say that I find your sympathetic, almost obsequious interview, with Arnold DISGUSTING! As a regular viewer, your absurd charade of an interview is enough to repel my viewership. Arnold Schwarzenegger is not a sympathtic character nor would any competent host attempt to make him out to be one. If he had any dignity or compassion he would be in permanent hiding not parading himself on your program in some vain attempt to humanize his disgusting acts. He is a chronic self-aggrandizer and serial lier and cheater that does nothing but further damage to his family by his book and appearances. There are no other sides to this issue, Piers and you should apologize to Maria and her family for the pathetic sympathy you gave him on your show.

October 3, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Maria fan

To all the viewers that were repulsed by Arnold's interview, I agree, BUT- I am so glad he came out and opened his mouth about this tragic situation. I too experienced the same type of scenario just before Arnold's and right after slick John Edwards. The similarities are amazing-, good looking, successful and or wealthy and politicians,, They all seem to have a missing link in their DNA. Compassion, humility and remorse are not in their vocabulary SELFISH . I just learned so much from him by watching this show. it is not a Me issue. Its them!! Thank you Maria! You have inspired me. God Bless

October 3, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ephrem Johnson

I hated the idea of Piers giving him an interview...but I'm glad it served a purpose to someone. God Bless You!

October 3, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Maria Fan

Thank you Ephrem.
        The pain is extraordinary and it does not go away! The humiliation is intense and your life will never be the same.
        Maria and I are the biggest victims and most affected and the innocent kids born......... well.....may God be with them.
        Faith Faith Faith will get us through

October 3, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kay

No more trash please.

October 3, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Charlie Potatoes

Your interview with "Ahnold" exposed both of you as liars and frauds.
    What integrity has the man exhibited when his career as an athlete was manipulated by steroids.
    Did he share needles and suppliers with Stallone as well as the pigs they banged.
    California is bankrupt as a result of his failed policies and moral depravity.
    Planet Hollywood was a failed business venture and he presents it as an achievement. .
    The cartels that are entrenched in this state need to be taxed and destroyed, not supported by current
    government legislation. Are the Feds going to bail out the States that face bankruptcy or will we be
    continued to be manipulated by appeasers of narco-terrorists.

October 3, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Reagan

CNN the comments speak for themselves; maybe you should seek viewers opinion on some characters before you bring them in your studios. Reagan

October 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tara

I used to be a Arnold fan, respected his rise to the top as an actor and politician. However, after what he did to Maria Shriver, a woman with an unblemished character and background, from a famous family, the mere mention of his name disgust me. He was suppose to be the actor who never did any naked scenes in movies and I totally respected that. But of course, he was more damaging in real life to his wife and kids, have an illicit affair which resulted with an illegitimate child. I agree with everyone's comments, the interview only gave him a means for humanizing his unforgiving acts, a little too late for that I suppose. To write a book about such a shameful act only hurts his family more, and I believe he is only in it for the money. What a low-life individual to profit from such a shameful act which shows no respect to his wife and kids and the rest of the Kennedy clan. He definitely needs to go into hiding for a 100 years. As for Piers doing the interview, it is his job to interview with no discrimination, although Arnold's appearance was repulsive to me...... and so it goes.

October 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Lasse Henskjold

Facebook has enabled, for publishers, lightly edited comment field. "This is perspective" piers morgan blogs CNN http://www.facebook.com/100000051672761/posts/395482003857882 This is CNN iReport The Modern International people Henskjold © 2012 Cable News Network Group Membership CNN International,
    Out in Front-line with local politics -and international archives lasse henskjold@live.no

October 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cusimano

I strongley disagree what Arnold did to Maria but, she new what she was getting into when she married him. People would not be making all this noise about this matter if it was John Doe next door, face it stuff like this happens in ever day life, it's blown up only because it's Maria and Aronald. People grow up

October 4, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ephrem Johnson

The comments I made have absolutely nothing to do with Arnold and Maria. My comments are about cnn and Piers Morgan giving him a platform to push a book about cheating on his wife. He was one of the main ones talking about Pres Clinton getting a B- job and wanting him impeached. while being just as guilty himself.

October 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. J. Gibson

Mr. Morgan I was disappointed with your effort on the interview with Arnold.
    It seems to me you gave him a big pass. He was very skillful in groveling, which
    obviously bought some points with you. Super-successful guys have to stick together
    I guess.

If you had asked him what he was doing to understand WHY he has done things he
    has and how far he was willing to go to understand
    why you would have been doing your job better. Maybe if you had asked him how making
    another movie or writing a book was part of his quest to understand why. His children
    have started their own journey thanks to him. They won't be writing any books, I imagine.
    I would suggest that he respect his children by ending his public life and dedicating himself
    to understanding why and if he ever does offer that understanding to his children.

October 5, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Theresa

Piers Morgan is Doing his job, its we people who choose these steps, For someone its just a fun and for others its a mistake that can't be forgiven. Extra-marital affair is now becoming an common issue.

October 19, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. luke

i no arnold has done what he did but hows he going to try and put things write if hes not on interviews like this, as for making new films and books hes obviously trying to put things write with the public, im a massive fan of arnold and dont agree about the affair but hes made a mistake have yous not made any mistakes before i truly feel for the kids and maria but he definitly deserves another chance and if you didnt like watching the interview you should of turned over people should keep there opinions to themselves its got nothing to do with the public

November 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ephrem Johnson

Cheating on your wife is not a mistake...he did that on purpose. As far as giving someone another chance I'm all for that....but did you see the interview. He was not remorseful for what he did...he was trying to exploit what he did for profit...and Piers Morgan gave him a platform to do that. This is what everyone is talking about. If your spouse cheated on you and then wrote a book about would you buy it?

November 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. luke

yes i saw the interview im a fan of piers but hes just doing his job i cant comment about his book until i have read it nobody knows what happens behind closed doors have you read his book

November 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ephrem Johnson

Some news interviews are not news worthy...How many OJ interviews did you see when that happened? Most people know that his story is so appauling that they won't touch it. I'm not trying to equate murder with cheating but I think you know where I'm going with this. Getting on TV and saying I'm sorry is one thing...writing a book about it and trying to profit from it is sick.

November 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply