Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 2nd, 2012

Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday's debate: Candidates must "communicate with the people"

Coming up this evening at 9, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes Arnold Schwarzenegger for an honest and revealing primetime interview.

With the election's first presidential debate scheduled for Wednesday evening, the former governor of California reveals what he considers to be specific keys to success:

"To be as honest as possible. And it’s not to drop a lot of numbers, and tax, and statistics. Because people don’t remember that," says the 65-year-old actor and author. "You've got to be able to look right into the screen. And to communicate with the people. And to grab the people, and draw them in to your world. And to your concern so they understand what needs to be done in the future."

A veteran of two debates during his political run through "The Golden State," Schwarzenegger calls for solutions to specific problems, as opposed to the candidates merely recounting the challenges of today's America:

"What I want to hear in the debate is not just 'here’s what you need to do.' Because that's a no brainer that we need to fix our infrastructure. And that we got to get a real healthcare program going. And everyone be on the same page. And that you got to go and stimulate the economy to get our GDP up again to 4% or 5% increase every year," the youngest ever Mr. Olympia winner tells Piers Morgan.

"I want to know exactly how. How are they going to bring both of the parties together? Sit down and really have a serious discussion. And compromise rather than getting stuck in your ideological corners. That is really the most important thing. Because in Washington right now nothing is happening."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 as the star of such films as "Total Recall" and "The Terminator" opens up like never before.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Roberta Norman

I am sadened by Arnold stating not only does his son have to deal with illigitamacy but now his conception is defined as a mistake and a poor decision. There does not seem to be any understanding of his son's position and issues.

October 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Roberta Norman

I think the president should get graded on a curve in this debate as he has been working a full time job while his opponent has only been campainign for years.

October 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Griff.

"Communication without dialogue is pointless, when the other side, are hell bent on delivering their own beliefe, and refuse to listen, you have to throw some tomato's even if they're rotten!!"

October 2, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Steve

True Lies, not Total Recalll, Arnold.

October 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. nancy rosenhaus

it seems unvelievable that Piers Morgan just said on TV that he did not know what the big deal was, haven't men been "doing this" for ages? really? men have been having afairs and fathering children outside of thier marriage and then having the woman and child live in thier home for 13 years with his wife and kids? what is this, sister wives? i almost can't believe this CNN host just said that and then he equated his own problems of a divorce and loss of a job. boo hoo Piers.

October 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kellie Hamblin

My sentiments exactly! I could not believe I heard Morgan blatantly marginalize infidelity and therefore the effects of lying and deceit on families, relationships and trust – the true fabric of our society. Such cruel and selfish actions (whether committed by men or women) only serve to preserve ones own narcissistic self interest while destroying the sense of safety and security that binds relationships. That kind of man-pal'ing normalizes the deviant behavior which undermines families and trust.

October 15, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Griff.

"Well I'm just an imigrant and I never did find my Canadian Dream!, but I do know my responsibility!"

October 2, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Nana

No parents have a right to say there child is a mistake. Arnold is an adult, he had a romance with the house keeper for some years. Why was it a mistake? He knew what he was doing. Right or wrong is not for use to judge. What happens to this poor child? Shame on the media to let this man get free publicity selling his book. This book is nothing more than Sh -t. How dare he call this child a MISTAKE. What does his mother think about him now? He was bragging on NPR how his mother use to go look for food to feed her kids. What if his mother thought he was a mistake??????
    Oh, dear she taught him good manners not to pick his nose but she did not teach him not to shack up once he was married. This man is nothing more than crap to put down his own child by calling it a MISTAKE.

October 2, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Griff.

Good Job Obama??? No! Obama is there to entertain you, and live the high life as long as you're willing to pay for it.
    Mitt Romney does not need to live off the state, and is just fed up of waching his country go down the drain. Your Muslim (Jerk) Obama has not answer, and the Democrates are so bent on winning again, they willing to throw their own Kids under the Bus!"

October 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. James

Mr. Schwarzenegger has gained my respect by being a stand up guy. This is not a weekness but a true reflection of leadership. Sometimes doing what's right even though it's hard reaps incredible benefits. I think there are many out there that could learn much about taking responsibility for their decisions and would gain much by doing so.

October 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nancy

You're not serious, are you?

October 2, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • I not Maria

How does he gain your respect ? For cheating on his wife ? For calling his 5th child a mistake ?
      Are you his publisher ?

October 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jack

Quite sticking is Schwarzenegger. Did he pay Piers to be on TV?

October 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Griff.

"We saw you Arnold! The women in England used to scream. Then came the Hulk, and Lou!!"

October 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Donna

I find it disturbing that the child he had with his housekeeper will have to feel like he was a mistake all his life.Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut...;(

October 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Leave the poor guy alone

He answer all the evil questions well. He did say he could never imagen any of his kids passing away. he does love his children, and everyone does make mistakes. People are human. He did amazing things for the state of califorina with infustruture changes that helped reduce greenhouse gases. Now repulicans need to realize that when you cut back on things, it cuts jobs in those sections of the system. Relsulting in people needing more jobs. Now it lines their pockets, but result in people with experience in government jobs being relocated or becoming applicants for welfare. adjustment of, in country manufaturing is needed most of all. stepping back from the world market and becoming more localized is needed to sustain a balanced ecomomy.the government needs to set a percented of manufacuting needs to be done localy to save jobs.

October 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

The largest and richest State in the US is broke.... Any questions ?

Arnold 5th kid was kept a secret for how many years ? Had this story not blown on his face how long would he kept quiet?
      Does he support his 5th child?

October 3, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ANWAR CHISHTI

VERY TRUE

October 3, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Ted Wu, Los Angeles

I can't help observing that we, including me unfortunately, live in this culture that actually give a hoot to a person (if you could even call him that) who in any civilized society should be ignored or condemned.

October 3, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Zeke Okeniyi

:De ar Piers,
    I watch most of your interviews and I love them. I decided to post a comment because I just watched the discussion with the former Gov. Of Califonia and I love his truthfulness. If we can all come and say it all like I think he did, it will make our world a better place to be. You are doing a wonderful job, keep it up. In this few years or is itt few months you are getter better by the day. Wish you well

October 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. peter

Hope Maria does NOT return to him..she can return to NBC & begin working again,,,,she is very busy w/4 children....

October 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Virginia P Rodrigues

Schwarznegger did not show any protection or love towards his latest child. Did not so much as name him
    This innocent son has a cruel father who is only concerned about his own image.
    If there is an ounce of humanity left in the man NOW is the time to show it !!!!
    I hope this son grows up to challenge Schwarznegger on what is ,after all, a human rights issue

October 16, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jin, Chang

I really enjoyed to listen to this interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There are lines I want to share with my students in Korea, which are about visualizing.

I've been trying to find similar interview to show those lines to my students but I failed.

Because there's no similar one... And I also couldn't find that interview's video clip but audio clip.

My students are 11~12 years old. So they need to watch some videos or pictures.

I hope you or your helpers give this interview's video clip public.

October 23, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Kathelea

I just like the valuable iantrmfoion you supply for your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here frequently. I am quite certain I'll be informed many new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the next!

December 17, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply