Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 9th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: George Zimmerman's mother tells Morgan "My son is not a racist"

On Monday evening, Piers Morgan spoke to Gladys Zimmerman, the mother of George Zimmerman who is accused of the murder of Trayvon Martin. During the interview, Zimmerman addressed the public misconception that her son is a racist and voiced her disappointment that those who knew her son did not defend him. "People who knew George, they didn't bother to come up front and said, no, he's not racist," said Zimmerman.

Zimmerman express her sadness for the tragedy saying she was "deeply sorry for what had happened."

"It is a tremendous tragedy for both families. I'm very sorry for the loss of their son."

In addition, Zimmerman also told Morgan that she still has faith in legal due process. "I believe in the judicial system," she said. Zimmerman trusts that the judicial system will exonerate her son.

"I believe from the beginning that, you know, he is innocent, and I mean, the media had played a big role against my son. They had portrayed him in a bad, bad picture. But there is justice in America, and I believe in justice."
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. JustSaying

Is this the same lady that hounded George to marry a white woman so that he would have a beautiful life (That's Racist). He did that, so why was he not happy idolizing and enjoying his beautiful life/wife, instead of looking for trouble chasing down young black boys. I guess after marrying her it was not all that his mom made it out to be. She probably made him nutty with all that talk.

October 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • James F

Are you that ugly racist troll from twitter that goes by I'm just sayin' ‏@benzita04?

October 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lydia Radden

Just like black men who marry white women, in order to move upwardly on the social ladder.....
      So are they not racist also?

October 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Riq Sherman

How is marrying a white woman moving up the social ladder? I've never heard a black man say that they were chosing to marry a white woman to move up the social ladder. Sounds like a racist assumption.

October 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • marsh0

comical.
        Black men marry white women because they might be in love with that person. Care to explain how that would enhance their social status?
        Only a racist will say some dumb crap like that.

October 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robert White

Piers is too much one side mind, He is stuck with Anti guns, he think no one should own guns.. but the real truth is,
    guns save lives... My guns my life once and did not have to pull it out. The more he talk against guns the more he become
    retard.

October 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nana

Non of us saw what took place. All we know one young teenage boy is shot dead by a gun and one is trying to say he is not guilty. George mom has been on TV, Martin's mom has been on TV why not Rachel Corrie's mom?
    Or are you afraid of the gaged order when it comes to free speech now ? Or will CNn not renuing your term ? or worse firing you like they have done others.

Rachel Corrie parents acceptd " LennonOno Grant for Peace " on behalf of there daughter who was murdered by Israelis. When will you invite Cindy Corrie and Craig Corrie to tell the world how there 23 year daughter was killed on your show?
    Rachel was a beautiful 23 year old American girl who was killed by Israeli.

In August, a court in Haifa, Israel, dismissed the Corrie family’s wrongful death civil lawsuit against the State of Israel for Rachel’s killing. The verdict was widely condemned as setting dangerous precedent regarding protection of civilians, and putting at serious risk human rights defenders in war zones and armed conflict situations.

Why is Justice an empty world and not free for all?

October 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. The Light

If you believe in the justice system why are you sitting in the dark? If your child is innocent what do you have to fear? Denial is very apparent in this family. The bottom line is a CHILD was murdered, the coroner said the cause of death was homicide.

October 10, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay

Child? LOL. The TEEN was over 6'-0", did drugs, and was busted with womens jewlery in his backpack along with a long screw driver. Some "child".

October 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • I'm Wright

Jay, villanizing the victim doesn't excuse the crime.

October 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan Oaks

When I was TEEN I made many of the same mistakes Trayvon I did. Yet as I became an adult I turned out educated, responsible, and involved in my community, and haven touched a drug or alcohol in as many years as Trayvon got to live. Trayvon will not have the opportunity to continue to grow into a responsible man, yet Zimmerman did have that chance and he failed. Time to get responsible and pay the price, Zimmerman.

October 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaimie

Innocent until proven guilty.

Child ? Let's wait till we hear what the school records reveal about this so called child.

October 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jimmyjam048

I'm sure Charles Mansons mom said he was a good boy too. How many more teens does George Zimmerman need to follow and kill before they put him away?

November 14, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jeanne

I'm surprised Piers Morgan felt the need to give air time to these low-lifes. George, who already had a rap sheet, murdered the unarmed teen with his handy-dandy gun. But the Zimmermans are trying to bankroll a fancy lifestyle with their whining and moaning about how they and their slimeball kid have been done wrong.

October 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Askmehow

Trust in the Catholic Church and the U.S. Justice System and you get a Zimmerman! Lol

October 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Brian H

I BELIEVE HE SHOULD GO TO JAIL YOU ALL DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TREYVON UNTIL AFTER HIS DEATH . THE RACIST SOCIETY NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND IF I WAS A BLACK MALE AND I CAME THREW A RESIDENTIAL NEIBORHOOD AND I HAD A MEXICAN OR A WHITE MALE FOLLOWING ME HOME I WOULD HAD BEAT HIS ASS OR BEEN CALLING MY DAD, FRIENDS OR WHO EVER TO HELP ME DO SO. NOBODY OWNS THE STREETS ONLY GOD...

October 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tesla

Wrong. Law-abiding citizens own the streets.

It is not illegal to follow anyone. It is not illegal to ask anyone a question. It is illegal to assault someone. This would make you NOT a law-abiding citizen, and if you continued, you would be subject to potentially lethal retaliation. Translation: If a moron decides to assault someone for "following" them, and that someone happens to be a concealed carry license holder, there is going to be a dead moron.

October 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaimie

Why are there so many innocent blacks in jail ?

Genetics, upbringing, lifestyle ?

I blame society, the black society. Fathers need to stop getting women pregnant then running out on their kids and the responsibilities they owe to the kids. And why don't all these professional athletes (I won't say what colour they are), step up, an do some "role model" work for their community.

October 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Brian H

MY BID FOR HIS SENTENCING IS 50 YEARS

October 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jimmyjam048

I raise your bid to 55. Years. Do I hear 60?

November 14, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Brian H

OH YEAH AND TOO HIS MOM SHE NEEDS TO SMELL THE COFFEE HER SON IS GONNA MAKE SOMEBODY REALLY HAPPY IN PRISON HIS NEW NAME IS GONNA BE GLORIA

October 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. brian

prison prison prison. he watched rambo one too many times and didn't listen to the police who told him to keep his distance. it doesnt matter who was defending who or who struck who first, zimmerman instigated the situation and the end result is his own stupid fault.

October 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. John

I don't think racism should be mentioned to part of this because i think it was proven that racism wasn't a part of it. First, then media stated Zimmerman stopped him because he was black. It was proven according to the 9-1-1- tapes that it wasn't true. Zimmerman wasn't sure the race. The atmosphere changed from a racist to over zealous individual who killed the young Mr. Martin. The media then started to attack the stand on your ground law. I don't think stand on you ground law pertain to this beause this is going to trial. In the begining they he wasn't arrested but video show Zimmerman being brought in the jail in handcuffs. Accoding to law he was arrested. They said he wasn't injured but later it was disproven by videos that he was. I think according to the girlfriend, Martin decided to confront Zimmerman in stead of just running away where he was capable of doing. I believe Martin had marijuana in his system which could have influence him to make a decision to run if he felt fear fom Zimmerman. I think there are many other evidence that this is just isn't the case of racism. In court it will be proventhat Zimmerman is not racism and killed Trayvon for the fun of it. At the end I feel for Trayvon family members who have to endure the loss of a love one.

October 16, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. me

It sounds to me like Trayvon was a wanna-be "thug gangsta" who got what he deserved – to be samcked down, and hard. Let that be a lesson to all the other wanna-b "thug gangstas" – we're tired of your crap.

October 19, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. DJones

I don't know if Zimmerman is racist, but I kind of doubt it. What I don't doubt is that he killed a young man who was doing nothing wrong and didn't deserve to die. Mom's always believe in their kids, but does she really think that her son can kill an innocent young man and say "oops, my mistake, so sorry", and then everything is just going to be okay? George may not have meant any harm, he may have thought he was doing something good, but his actions directly lead tot he death of an unarmed, innocent, juvenile. In America that is a crime.

October 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jimmyjam048

Zimmerman may not be racist, but he IS most certainly stupid. Stupid people with guns do stupid things with them.
    Following and chasing kid? Now his excuse is the kid was expelled from school?
    At the time he chased this kid, none of this was known to him. So the kids school records are irrelivant. At the time he chased this kid, the kid had not laid a finger on him. Getting a gun and chasing kids a night at night and then shooting them is murder.

November 14, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jJames H

If's real sad when the attorney makes and or changes photos to make the story fit.The video show him arrive at the police station is different than the photo being report on CNN NEWS

December 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply