Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Need to Know News: Obama and Romney in bruising second debate; Envoy pushing for Syria cease-fire
October 17th, 2012

Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.

For October 17, 2012 – Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in bruising second debate, envoy pushing for Syria cease-fire and Lance Armstrong resigning from Livestrong...

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in bruising second debate: "President Barack Obama fought back and Republican challenger Mitt Romney mostly stood his ground in a bruising, argumentative debate three weeks before Election Day."

• Envoy pushing for Syria cease-fire: "Scrambling to find a solution to Syria's bloody civil war, international envoy Lakhdar Brahimi arrived in Lebanon on Wednesday in his regional campaign to forge a cease-fire in Syria."

Students in blackface re-enact Chris Brown beating Rihanna: "Three white male students involved in the skit made light of domestic violence, and they did it in racist manner, say some. Two were in blackface as they re-enacted a 2009 domestic abuse incident in which singer Chris Brown assaulted then-girlfriend Rihanna."

IBM sinks on sales miss: "Tech giant IBM posted third-quarter earnings Tuesday in line with expectations, though shares sunk in after-hours trading as the company reported a dip in sales."

Lance Armstrong resigning from Livestrong: "Former pro cyclist Lance Armstrong will step down as chairman of the Livestrong cancer charity he founded in 1997 after recovering from the disease, organization spokeswoman Katherine McLane said Wednesday."

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Need To Know News
  1. Jaker, Dublin

A piece of advise I sent to New York Times readers during the debate this morning...

Romney s a bully & is desperate to be President...he knows this is his last chance because it is...in fact he's not fit for office.

He's evading every question that was put to him by going back on the question just before that...I mean guys how anyone in America could trust R&R to lead them for the next 4 years is beyond me, & I'm Irish, & guys it will seem like a life sentence, it will. What? has he got but bluster? He never explains his 5 point plan...me, myself, I think the pages are blank in it. He hasn't answered a question tonight but says he has all the answers...but he never told you any of the answers in the last debate or so far in this debate & it's three quarter way through. And we all know what Ryan did in his outing, talk so much "Bibble-babble" that he had to drink so much water down – before he choked on his fibs.

Romney will go to more wars than even Bush, he'll drill for oil under your individual feet without thinking of climate or pollution, he'll hound out immigrants, or starve them to make them crawl away, he's not for women making their own decisions about their bodies, it's true, he thinks they should all be in Binders. because he said so, even though he's backtracking this subject & every other & changing it & them chopping it about as if he was playing "Musical Chairs" by himself. He doesn't like 47 per cent of you, think about THAT. Oh there he goes again saying, he's great & he done something spectacular with the Olympics, "if I hear that coming out of his mouth again I'll scream".

You know, he didn't really do that much with those Olympics in 2002 & it wasn't really the Olympics, it was the Winter Olympics, I mean all he had to do was fetch a few buckets of man made snow & tell everyone "Now, go ski" & look at the promotion he got out of it for himself.

Please, people of US think before you vote? Think again of the next 4 years, think of the night-mare eight years you had with Bush & think before you go asleep tonight that you want to be able to sleep peacefully from next January. Think with both your head & your hearts...not just your heads. & think "Peace" because if he gets in, you can forget about "Peace". there won't be any...I repeat..."There won't be any"!

PS. Barrack Obama won the still ongoing but nearly done now, debate by a “Mile”!

October 17, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. UG. Igbo

Franklin Graham son of Billy Graham , cleverly avoided answering Piers Morgan's questions as to whether or not the believed mammons are christians , he said Mitt Rommey's belief was irrelevant since we are not electing a pastor in chief. In the same breathe he said Obama's support of gay marriages and abortion is contrary to the word of God and bible believing christians should distance themself from Obama and his beliefs. How hypocritical , double standards

October 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Griff.

"And you don't think this attack in NYC wa not instigated by Idiot Obama?? How stupid are you Pirse???"

October 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Griff.

"Obama is a Fuc76ng Muslim Mole!!!"

October 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker, Dublin

Poor Griff, he just can't help unzipping it, his filthy mouth. I wonder are you like Romney a Mormon? Or are you just a "Moron"?!

PS. Wash your mouth out!

October 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Griff.

"Big news?? The US President is going to do good?? I agree but it won't be Idiot Obama!"

October 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Griff.

"Wherever I go on the internet Pierse, they all agree. The President of the USA is called Mitt."

October 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. James

Piers Morgan deserves to be fired along with Erin Burnett.Morgan is so biased against Obama and so pro Romney I get sick of him licking Romney's shoes every night.

October 17, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Griff.

"Rubbers' I dont remmember Romney, ever sticking women in a transparant tube? Only trying to prevent that happening."

October 17, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker, Dublin

Well aren"t we the unlucky ones; because you seemed to escape one!

October 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Christine

Go back to your country and rile up your conservatives. Keep out of our elections. We love our president, thank you. FDR took more than 8 years to right the momentum of the depression. This was a depression, and we are still paying the bills for two wars. We do not interfere in Your Majesty's business. You stay out of ours. Ro"money" will take our country back to hell with an intolerant social agenda to boot. And his binders of women. Come on. No more. I will NOT watch you any longer.

October 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sandy

Come on Piers! I gave you better credit fior being unbiased, but it is so obvious that you have political bias...In fact I am EXTEREMELY disppointed in CNN....who can provide a fair and objective news these days???? CNN come on!!! Stop bashing and just believe the Mick Romney is desperate and changing his story to get any political leverage he can get....PEOPLE DIED! and the president took ownership...Let it go and focus on what Romney will do to get us out of this inherited publican MESS!

October 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker, Dublin

Well said, Sandy, the thing with CNN; is these days they can't see anything under the layers. & Romney has plenty of layers, so many, that he hides a lot of his lies till they spurt out of him on the nights of the "Debate". Like last night for instance...

October 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Sandy

Yes, Romeny is so transparent...he is desperate and well trained in a 'sales' presentation...ANIMATED with LACK OF SINCERITY....you think Bush left a mess...let Romney get it...it will be a REAL MESS! If you don't STAND FOR SOMETHING, you will FALL for anything...Don't fall for Romney's lies.....

October 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christine

Right on, Sandy. Romney told 31 lies in 45 minutes. And now Piers and a lot of CNN journalists are showing their bias. If not biased, the talking heads do the dirty work. I am sick of this political double speak.

October 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Griff.

"Women would love to tell the world of just how much ther're individually worth. Surelly they're not all equal??"

October 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Griff.

"All Obama as done is giveN the chance he's NEVER gonna be elected again!"

October 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

Stop watching Fox News and carm down. You need help by a mental health specialist.

October 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jaker, Dublin

too right, Nana, now someone get a strait-jacket to put him in!

October 17, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Griff.

"You should work for Fox News, Pierse. I know you hate continually telling these CNN lies!"

October 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Griff.

"Just like you Pierse, I crossed the pond long ago, and now I live a different life. Your future will not come to you, so you have to move and take the chance, what/wherever that may be??"

October 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Christine

shame on you. Piers. Liars spread lies for profit. Lance Armstrong was the MOST tested athlete in the world. PROVE IT. And again, go comment on your own countries' political and social issues.

October 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sandy

Come on Anderson, not you too! If you poll bias audience, you will get bias results! Duh!!! HELLO!!!n How about balance in coverage?

October 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

Thank you for your remark.

October 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker, Dublin

Anderson Cooper is worse than the lot of them...& he can't take criticism; he refuses my comments because I question him...so in that regard Piers at least gives you the right to reply. Piers & Fareed Zakaria in my view are best of them...the rest have gone & fallen in love with Romney & ilk!

October 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Wake up

Balance coverage is not an American thing. What is the media doing with all these pundits?
    We are a group of HATERS. We produce hate to keep the media going. one group attacking the other. We Hated the native Indiana's and wiped them out killing millions. We hated the blacks and slaved millions. We hated the Jews not a long time back. We hated the Communist and justified attacking killing millions to bring them The book of Christianity. We hate the Moslims and launched The Bush's Crusade to teach them our moral values by killing over 3 million! Wow ! How Noble a bunch are we?

October 17, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. WILLIAM

JAKER DUBLIN IS VERY SMART,,INTUITIVE,,CAN SEE THRU ROMNEY ! ROMNEY IS DANGEROUS,,DISHONEST,,WILL SAY ANYTHING/DO ANYTHING TO BE ELECTED..SAD...WHERE IS LARRY KING ??

October 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christine

We have abdicated our minds to the talking heads, political pundits, and pollsters. Journalists are entertainers, not unbiased reporters. We seem to need to be told how to think for ourselves. In reality, we are allowing our better selves to be micro managed into consuming of the most banal of conversations, and then we feel intelligent when we spit it back out on blogs. I am so sick of the dumbing down of our populace. I am tired of people like you, Piers, whose opinion is beamed into countless living rooms, and pinches off the brain stems of hypnotized listeners.

October 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Rust Rivera

OBAMA IS DANGEROUS,,DISHONEST,,WILL SAY ANYTHING/DO ANYTHING TO BE ELECTED..SAD...

October 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jules G.

I admit to just tuning in to the election in the last month or so, and I have been stunned at how pro-Romney CNN is now. I have always avoided Fox because it is too conservative, and MSNBC because it is too liberal, and turned to CNN to give me factual and objective news. I must say that I have been struck by how favorare the likes of Wolf Blitzer, David Gergen, Piers Morgan and others are to Romney and how negative about Obama and will not cut him any slack in any discussion or event. And Jim Acosta virtually has his head so stuck up Romney's posterior that I"m sur eit will never be the same again. My sister had told me that CNN was now known as "Fox Lite" but I didn't believe her. Now I know that she is right.

October 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. quinton

Romney will begin WW 3&4..& will send our troops into combat but not his own..& where are the TAX returns? if he hides his $$ abroad,,,WHY should he be the Pres. of these United States? he just wants the POWER....he doesn't care @ anything or anyone..espec. women//equal pay for women? he will not answer....

October 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. THEODORE

DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ELECTION IS TIES..I'M AN INDEPENDENT..BUT CAN'T AMERICANS SEE THAT ROMNEY WANTS THE WHITE HOUSE JUST FOR THE "POWER" ....SO HE CAN BEGIN WW 3&4..HE DOES NOT CARE @ THE POOR/MIDDLE...OTHERWISE HE WOULD TKE HIS BILLIONS OUT OF FOREIGH COUNTRIES & GIVE IT ALL TO THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY & REDUCE THE DEFICIT,,HE IS NOT A TRUE AMERICAN..DIDN'T ONE OF HIS SONS SAY"OBAMA SHOULD GO BK TO AFRICA?"..SAD..ROMNEY HAS A TEMPER & IS DISHONEST....I DO NOT TRUST ROVE,,KOCH BROS,,ADELSON,,,,,,,,,CHENEY.....ALL RICHIES...SAD..

October 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christine

R Money has said so made so many outrageous statements that I cannot believe he came out during the debates as a moderate. Right. And yes, his son did say to Obama: go back to Africa. I will never forget the tea party sign, held by a child, that said: Keep your hands off my healthcare, and the hands were colored in with a BLACK crayon, so, keep your black hands off my healthcare. If folks do NOT believe racism has gone underground, and erupts in new and surprising ways, then I fear Americans have forgotten how to infer, think for themselves, and listen properly.

October 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply