Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 22nd, 2012

Clips From Friday: Tyler Perry on his childhood and his new film "Alex Cross"

On Friday, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed Actor, Producer, Writer and Businessman Tyler Perry for a very in-depth and candid interview. The star and creator of the highly successful "Madea" series opened up to Piers Morgan about his troubled childhood.

Perry revealed to Morgan that his relationship with his father was an abusive one. Later in life, through conversations with his relatives, Perry learned that his father's actions were a result of learned behavior, explaining that his father was "abused his entire life."

"He [Perry's father] was brought to a 14 year-old woman named May (ph) to raise," said Perry. "And everything that she knew to do to get these children to behave was to beat them. And she would tie them in a potato sack, hang them in a tree and she would beat them."

With the knowledge and understanding of his father's past, Perry was able to forgive his father. "It helped me to understand a lot of who he is, which was - which made it easier for me to let go and forgive him."

The topic changed to happier days as Perry talked about his new staring role in the movie "Alex Cross" and the daunting task of taking over the action movie franchise from Morgan Freeman who played the character of Cross in two previous films. "He played God in a movie," joked Perry about the legendary Freeman.

"But as I looked at James Patterson's description of the physicality and the age and family, and I thought, he's talking about me. So I gave it a second look and I loved the arc that I get to play in this role."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interview, as Perry talks more about his new role as an action movie star.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Linda Craig

I have enjoyed hearing more about Mr. Alex Cross the movie. What a great movie. And Mr Perry has done so well with all of his other work. I look forward to seeing him in more roll like this one. Great job Mr. Tyler Perry.

October 22, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Victory

Tyler Perry, is an amazing man. He is an a mentor to us all. He demonstrates, that your past does not have to determine your future. May God continue to elevate you! Love you for eternity ;')

November 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Linda Craig

The time of the hour is here, 9:00pm this is it. Oct. 23, 2012. Debate Night! It is time to take care of home! What can be done now for the family that are in need now? Not when someone get out of school, or find a job. ??

October 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. : )

I watched all 3 debates. I have checked Fact Check. I am an independent voter. I am a woman and I will be voting for President Obama.

October 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda Craig

President Obama , four more years!

October 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Linda Craig

The 2012 debate has came to a close now it time for the hard work it's up to us go vote. every vote! What do you want for the next 4 + years because it will not end in four years so. Where will we be than????

October 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Griff.

"I actually heard none of the debate tongit because of some Fucing Muslim who thought he would control my signal! Just shos how many fucuing Muslims there are in North Americas!"

October 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Griff.

"When you protect your fucitng muslims you don't neerd me!"

October 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Griff.

"I don't wonder CNN can pretend they didn't know what was happening in Libya, when the Muslims in Canada can shut down my signal for four-fifth's of the debatetonight!!"

October 23, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Griff.

"But I don't care. It's over now and what they took away they can never give back! So I wish you well in your Muslim sickness! You're going to uclling need it!

October 23, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Griff.

"Yes, I won't be satisfied Pierse, unil every fucling Muslim is out of North America!"

October 23, 2012 at 4:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Griff.

"YOU ARE WRONG PIERSE!!!!!!!! All Logics say Obama was born in Kenya/Somalia. I was stationed there in Kenya in 1959/61, and I know ahat happened after 1963!!!! Where all those Muslims in the East Indies came from. There was no where near as much Islam off shore of Austrailia, as ther is today."

October 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Griff.

"1961 to this very day, Muslims are flooding into Britain and Europe under passports they were promised, arter Colonialism collapsed!"

October 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Griff.

"Now the USA had better waken up, because Muslims have tripled in the USA, just while Obama has been in the Whitehouse. There is an Imploding war in the USA, and woman are none so blind the most!!"

October 24, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. inredsquare

Reblogged this on anaffairinredsquare.com and commented:
    Tyler Perry, a man with an inner strength and a forgiving heart. Tyler Perry's path was not an easy one in the beginning, but he has made it and remains humble. TP has taken to the big screen as Alex Cross. Two thumbs up!!

October 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Griff.

"Do you think we know the difference between a watcher and a do,er Pierse!! It's the difference between you doing your best, and Obama hovering over your shoulder!"

October 25, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Griff.

"Scare tactics?? Jobs... I call it security! I don't know wat started you career, but I do know it had to start somewhere, and it had to have a base to build on You're not a Socialist, and niether are you a Royalist, but you do believe in Stability. Well nothing can be stable without trust, and there is none under this Muslim n the whitehose.
    Those kids that just left school, will now be unemployed, or entering a Trade-School, and Idiot Obama has no answer to their plight?? One third of their life with be working for the other guy, but eventually your life becomes your own.
    Not with Obama the Dictating-Muslim!!"

October 28, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Griff

Abortion was number one last night and statistics say so!

November 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Griff.

"Barack Obama now he's got the 'Screw On' is neither middle nor elswhere. He's willing to sell to the highest bidder, and his Muslim Cousin will get first bid!!"

November 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Griff.

Barak Obama is a ghost that was thrown into politics on a dream, and finally made it to the USA in 2012, after many years of hiding in Indonesia!!

November 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Griff.

2002 to 2012? What's the difference. The west had never heard of Barack Obama until ten years ago. He's Black, and Hes African, but he i not an American born African. He is an Arab!!! Born in Kenya 1961!!! He is also a Muslim and not a Christian. You can live in denial, but the facts are all there.."

November 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply