Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 24th, 2012

Charles Blow on the new Clint Eastwood ad.: "I really don't even see how it helps Mitt Romney"

With the general election less than two weeks away, on Wednesday "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed a host of political pundits and electoral analysts to discuss recent developments in the race for the White House.

On the heels of a new Clint Eastwood ad., during which the four-time Academy Award winner continues his support of Mitt Romney, Katie Pavlich added her perspective to the television spot:

"Clint Eastwood is making one point here, and he says that the middle class in America has not been successful in the past four years, and if you take Joe Biden's term that the middle class has been buried, I think that Clint Eastwood agrees with the vice president on that, " said the conservative columnist and political commentator. "He's supporting Mitt Romney, and with good reason, based upon the economic numbers."

Joining Piers Morgan in-studio, Charles Blow saw it differently:

Referring to the man who first showed support for Barack Obama by praising the auto bailout in the "Halftime in America" Chrysler Super Bowl commercial, only to later support Romney via an empty chair at the Republican National Convention, Blow fails to see the benefit of a Clint Eastwood endorsement:

"Clint Eastwood did Mitt Romney a lot of harm before this ad."

Also in on the discussion Wednesday night was Van Jones, who listed the Eastwood ad. as simply another in a long line of recent Republican missteps:

"Look at today. Today is the Republican Party just kind of going off the rails. You've got 'Mr. Empty Chair' making his big debut. You've got Donald Trump coming back out, with his sort of 'Birtherism 2.0' remix. Sarah Palin comes out and says the president is 'shucking and jiving,' wink, wink, nod, nod. And then you have [Richard] Mourdock come out, and confirms, that there's a big strain inside the Republican Party that apparently thinks the government should force women to bear the children, of their rapists," says the president and co-founder of "Rebuild the Dream."

"The true character of some of the extreme elements in this party – and just some of the wacky elements of this party – are rushing to the floor. It is not good timing for Mitt Romney."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Pavlich, Blow, and Jones further debate the direction of the GOP.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Ron greene

Piers, please ask any republican on your show. "why do you disagree with the government (obamacare) forcing people to have health care, yet it is ok for the government to force women to give birth to a rapist child". This shows how unreasonable and irrationable the republicans have become.

October 25, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. George

Hey, Charlie Potatoes I see your at it again pushing the propaganda....Charles Blow:"I don't see how it helps him [Eastwood] in the long run as a Hollywood actor, and I really don't even see how it helps Mitt Romney." Really?! I guess the same can be said of Eva Longoria supporting Obama...and Van Jones:"the Republican Party that apparently thinks the government should force women to bear the children, of their rapists,"..The GOP actually said that?.....personally I've always thought the government should force the execution of rapists....but it won't happen because they have the protection of Liberal Democrats...btw your English colonist guilt is showing Charlie...SMDH

October 25, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. K GREENWALT

EASTWOOD OBVIOUSLY FEELS STRONGLY ABOUT KEEPING AMERICA WORKING AND STRONG,THUS HE APPRECIATED WHAT OBAMA DID WITH THE AUTO INDUSTRY AND PRAISED A GOOD DECISION WHEN MADE.COOL! PERHAPS SINCETHAT HAPPENED HE'S NOT HAD ANY POSITIVE COMMENTS FOR OBAMA, AS SO MANY. tHE MAN HAS EVERY REASON TO VOICE HIS OPIONS AS DO WE ALL. IT'S WHAT AMERICA IS MADE ON.IT'S 'SO O BVIOUS MR. EASTWOOD NO LONGER FEELSOBAMA HAS ANYMORE TO OFFER,HIS OPINIONS SEEM TO BE STRONGER FOR ROMNEY'S ABILITIES. PRETTY SIMPLE

October 25, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Maria

What a fool Clint Eastwood made of himself. Why would I trust the Republican Party if they could not get this right ? How can I have them in White House now ? Remember we did trust Bush. He ruined the TRUST we once had for the Republican Party. I will be voting for Presidand Obama again. ( once a Republican )

Stop watching Fox News Mr Morgan.

October 25, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. James Jones

All of America should know that Ann Romney chose to speak to her million and billionaire supporters today
    at The Word Golf Village PGA in St. Augustine, FL. NBC NEWS 4 & other news organizations covered this event.
    I stopped for a coffee at Star Bucks on my way to the eye doctor, not knowing in 5 minutes the entire complex
    was surround with secret service, security and Romney's Bus that had written on the side of the bus:
    Taking back America. This was one of the most outrageous things I have seen and I am now 62 yoa.
    I know I was the only one that had 4 dollar bills in my wallet for the coffee. Mrs. Romney's choice
    to give a speech in this Billion Dollar Complex was for the 2% they are fighting for because the other
    47% was not seen by me except I am one of the 47%. I would bet there were no poor, middle class
    at this event due to know one knowing this was a place they choice in secret for their large donors
    and million and billionaire friends. I would hope that NBC 4 in Jacksonville would privy all news organizations
    their coverage and the grounds occupied by the very very wealthy playground.
    I would think they would think about the 47% that they would their votes to see their true colors.
    A picture of this event show go viral and let America see who the Romney wantabe President
    would protect and make two classes of people the very poor and now the poor middle class.
    Shame on them for their deception. Please attempt to get the coverage of this event and show
    how the 2% live and play. America would be outraged except Donald Trump.

October 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. walmart

I have to say my wife and I watch your show at times. Sometimes it is ok and sometimes it is not. We watched a part of the interview with Van Jones about how Clint Eastwood hurt Romney’s chances with his new ad. First off I feel you should just put an Obama sticker on your forehead whenever you are trying to do some sort of reporting on the presidential race. It is clear you are an Obama fan and for you to bring on a person like Van Jones just shows how much in the Obama camp you are. This man has been thrown out of the Obama white house because of his radical left views. To have such a man judging character on anyone else is a farce and a complete lack of judgment on our part. Please if you can’t bring in competent creditable people you should just stick to reporting police reports because then we might just believe you have something intelligent to say. And I should not have to say this but I am not a republican and either is my wife.

October 27, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Katherine Kezele

Ophthalmologists are physicians. They went to medical school. After school, they had a one-year internship and a residency of three or more years.`^:;

Our very own webpage