Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 26th, 2012

Tonight, Special Olympics of Virginia Global Messenger John Franklin Stephens (Frank) joined Piers Morgan to explain why he was offended when he heard Conservative Columnist Ann Coulter's use of the "r-word" earlier this week.

Coulter used the 'r-word' in a tweet Monday when referring to Mitt Romney's treatment of President Barack Obama at the third and final presidential debate. Stephens wrote an open letter to Coulter to explain why her word choice was wrong:

Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?
...
Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

"The word retard is offensive and I should not be a symbol for someone who is dumb and shallow," Stephens said. "If they wanted to use me as a symbol, use me as a symbol for someone who fights adversity."

Special Olympics CEO Tim Shriver also joined Morgan to defend his friend Stephens. "There is a long long history of discrimination and humiliation against people that have intellectual differences ... This word in particular has carried the sting."

Stephens stated simply "When people get bullied and when people use the 'r-word' it's just offensive."

Morgan asked the Global Messenger to have the last word to Coulter since he signed his open letter "A friend you haven’t made yet":

"Thank you. You helped me make 3.2 million new friends. And I wish that you would be one more."

-–

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. LYNN SHRADER

Just watched Ann Coulter on CNN...she called Obama a "retard"...being one who works with special needs preschoolers I find this word totally offensive. She should have chosen a different word to show her disdain, such as idiot or such, but said all the Liberals were just making a big deal over her choice of word. I am NOT in any way a Liberal, she is offensive, but I am a woman..she said the experiment didn't work and we should lose our right to vote. Well, Ms. Coulter...YOU are a woman as well, I THINK! so therefor you would lose your right to vote as well...now who is the idiot? P.S. I am a female Republican voting for Romney, regardless of my vote, you do not have the RIGHT to use that wording you do, you should be more compassionate about things you obviously know NOTHING about... freedom of speech does not mean you can demean humanity ...many that are classified as retarded are extremely SMART, just not on the standard scale to determine if they are retarded....beautiful, loving, creative human beings...you could learn a lot from them!

October 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wendy

Ann Coulter needs to learn to choose better words in her vocabulary. That "R" word gets the hairs up on the back of my neck. I work with special needs children. They are not that "r" word. People have used that word for years and mean exactly what it means. She is so ignorant. I don't understand how an intelligent woman can't believe that people use that word meaning what it does. I've never used that "r" word and nor will I ever. I love the children I work with. They are awesome kids. She needs to come and work with special needs children and understand that there are ignorant people out there including her. She should know better.

October 27, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • LYNN SHRADER

I too work with preschoolers with special needs...that term is a true diagnosis, but it is not used socially...my little ones are the sweetest children, I love them dearly and they me in return. I am a very luck lady to have so many beautiful people touch my life. too bad Ms. Coulter will never understand what this means.

October 27, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
      • Mona

Ann, we know you wouldn't call a mentally challenged person a retard, instead you call the president a retard knowing full well that it refers to a person who is mentally challenged. That was what Piers was trying to point out to you. SHAME ON YOU! you counted on your gift of gab to get yourself off the hook instead of admitting that you were wrong to use that word. You chose that word, because it gave more power to your insult. You didn't speak the word you TYPED it. The power struggle with Piers only showed how arrogant you are, especially telling Piers that it would be another 2 years before returning to his show who cares!

October 28, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda Hayes

I have to say for Ann Coulter to be an author and want people to support her by buying her book; could fix her mouth and mind to disrespect the President. Ann doesn't see how she is a BIG BULLY but she is one. Bullying starts with name calling. How could she have respect for herself or any male in her life when she is publicly displaying igorance. What would she feel if that was her father, brother, cousin, uncle, or son in that position and to be constancly disrespected by people.

October 27, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Roberto

What a jerk or I should say jerks all of you are. The "word patrol" is on the roll. Ann is way too intellectual for Piers or for that matter, anyone on CNN and especially anyone that watches CNN...Get over it!

October 27, 2012 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Jose M. Rivera

Shame on you Roberto!. To align yourself with Ann Coulter is like saying you believe as as she does and are a bully as she is. You don't need to be arrogant and disrespectful of your opponent to make your point. I have several other words in my mind I could use to disrespect her, and you, but that would defeat my purpose. I consider myself a decent person.

October 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Craig Greenfield

I have come to like and respect Piers Morgan's skills as an interviewer but I cannot figure out why he would compromise his journalistic integrity by having on his show Ms. Coulter, a disgusting and repulsive loser whose sole purpose is to pathetically try to keep herself relevant with a party that does not even welcome her. With all of the really interesting and decent people to interview, it was a real waste of network time to offer her even a minute to dignify her stupidity.

October 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |

To Craig,
        you said it beautiful the may I feel also. I am evaluating wether to watch his show any more or not. I feel since he is earning a good living in our Country he should not expose his listeners to guests like Coulter. Frankly I dont understand why anybody would invite her.

October 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • P.J. Grasso

Agree.

October 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |

Hi P.J.,
        thank your for agreeing with me. I can't understand why anybody could agree with Ann Coulter. I put her on the same level as Rush Limbaugh.

October 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • P.J. Grasso

Or worse. Piers should not allow her on his show in the future.

October 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |

P.J.,
        I feel so sad that this President has been so insulted over these last 3 1/2 years. I am originally from Europe and I have never seen something like this. Regardless what party people belong to, a President should be treated with respect from his own country. We are in other countries, trying to make them believe in our system and can you imagine what they must be thinking? I believe this is mostly racially motivated and that is really sad. I have been in America since 1960 and this election is the worst I have ever seen.

October 31, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Roger Hale

Piers invite to Coulter and other right wing extremists is indicative of CNN's latest move to feature more 'Obama bashers'. Blitzes and especially Cafferty are front runners.
        A desperate move to increase ratings by moving closer to Fox?

November 1, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |

to P.J.
        Did you see that I was called a bigot by Lynn Shrader. You are so right Cnn is moving closer to Fox. I am also surprised at Piers because he is from England and has seen different life styles. Of course it makes for ratings and bottom line is ratings and salaries. MSNBC is basically the only station that I watch that gives Obama some credit for the very difficult job he inherited. The things that are being said about this President is very insulting and really makes us a laughing stock overseas. I am retired and the end of Bush the Dow was down to around 6 thousand. Now it is up to over 13 thousand and I don't have to worry so much about my income. Not even for that credit is given to our President. It makes me very unhappy and I am glad when this election is over and maybe things settle down. The right wont have to worry that Obama can be re-elected if he wins. If Romney wins than I hope that the Dems wont play the same game and undercut him, or again nothing will get done to benefit the county.

November 1, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • albert

I agree that Ann could of used a better choice of a word. That word is offensive without a doubt especially to mentally disabled people. It's not like the N word, it's probable similar to the other F geared towards gay people. What I can't imagine is Piers asking John Franklin Stephens who has down syndrome if he ever met the president??? President Obama is the most pro abortion President ever. 95% of the down syndrome pregnancies are terminated nowadays. That's 95% statistical facts!!! He even allowed the partial birth abortion law to pass, the one Ann described with the 8 month fetus/baby.

October 27, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Angela

Your stats on termination of fetuses with Down syndrome are correct, and as a mother of a child with Down syndrome, I find it unconscionable. However, those rates existed before Obama was in office. Those stats have more to do with lack of education about the syndrome and maternal age. I don't think you get to wait until you're forty and then shop your ovaries for the egg you want. I'm pretty sure that President Obama has not endorsed destruction of "genetically inferior" fetuses. Nah. That's just us.

October 27, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Kali

Albert, that is a good point. How sad that Obama and his terrible ads are aimed at someone like John not having a chance at life. You changed the way I look at this. I honestly don't think Obama cares about anyone's life- the poor, the jobless, the hungry and the unborn.

October 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Helga Renfro

President Obama is a most caring person. Look in the mirror my dear. Like what you see??

October 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jose

Up until 2010 the abortion issue was not such a big deal in presidential elections. Since then the republicans in Congress and state legislators brought it all up to the limelight. Every thing the republicans are accusing Obama of has been in the law books for years, maybe decades. They are using the issue as another manifestation of their hatred towards Obama, the man. I wonder why...

October 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barney

Well Lynn it sounds like you associate your special needs kids as retards. Retard is so often use daily these days. Not to be associated with a special needs person.

Retard is defined as:
      1. An offensive term used to refer to someone acting in an irritating or generally stupid way.
      2. Usually used to label someone as stupid. Not commonly used to make fun of the disability.
      "He just chugged fourteen beers and now he's going out driving."
      "What a retard."
      3. To slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment.

and so on. . .

Sometimes I think Joe Biden is a retard.

October 27, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ted

Barney, You, like Coulter, are making up your own meaning of the R word. You two are the ones who don't understand what it really means. Yes it IS used to bully mentally disabled people. I've worked in this field all my life (4 decades) and I've heard it used as a form of riducule toward them over and over again. She was so wrong to say that no one refers to mentally disabled people this way. There is a national campaign going on called "Spread the Word the End the Word".. ever hear of it? Look it up! Pierce tried to enlighten her, but she wouldn't have it.

October 27, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
      • LYNN SHRADER

Barney...you are truly an idiot! I was referring to the word retarded, I in no way look at my students the way you describe...how dare you suggest I do. My kids are sweet loving children no matter what diagnosis they have. You throw that word around so loosely...that is what I am upset about. Find another word to show you disdain and lack of competence in Joe Biden or whomever...don't assume to know what I think or feel...I was trying to show that mental retardation is a medical diagnosis, just like cancer or depression...not a word to be used as an insult to others! like the word idiot which in my opinion is what YOU are!

October 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Analise Carter

WHERE IS SARAH PALIN? WHY IS SHE NOT DESTROYING COULTER? Oh, wait.....of course.

October 27, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom Andriello

I make my comments as a person who has worked in the field of helping people with developmental disabilities for over 35 years. The use of the word "retarded" hurled towards an individual was always used to describe a person with inferior intellectual abilities. Prior to the mid 1970's the use of the words "idiot, imbecile, moron" were found in Mental Hygine manuals and psychological classifications to describe the functioning level of individuals with developmental disabilities, which it is now called. So Ms. Coulter using the word "retarded" toward any person is accusing them of being mentally inferior and that is very offensive to people with a developmental disability, their friends and families. In their world it's like using the "N" word, so PLEASE STOP and learn something new if you can.

October 27, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • michael bobik

I agree with the word retarded being offensive.I am a retired school psychologist who tested children that are mentally challenged. I have worked in the States of Michigan and California. In Michigan on the IEP (individual educational plan) the R word is called mentally impaired in California on the IEP (individual educational plan) the word is MR or mentally retarded as the handicap condition Parents have to set a meetings and hear their child described as MR rather than mentally challenged. Could someone help me change the California laws from MR to something more appropriate. Michael

October 27, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Coleen in RI

Hi Michael, start with the states lt gov. Office. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

October 28, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Hi Lynn: I couldn't agree more with your comments. After watching Ms. Coulter on Piers Morgan, it became quite clear to me that she has a personality disorder. Her shrieking, compulsive interrupting and verbal assaults of Piers Morgan,and insistence on not backing down about the 'r' word are not simply an ideology she is promoting. . It is strong evidence of something much more pathological. Hopefully she will go the way of Glen Beck and be removed from the Public networks. Unfortunately, Fox and people like her are now the face of the Republican party. So glad I left years ago.

October 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mona

Ann, of course you wouldn't call a mentally challenged person a retard, instead you call the president a retard knowing full well that it refers to a person who is mentally challenged. That was what Piers was trying to point out to you. You counted on your gift of gab to get yourself off the hook instead of admitting that you were wrong to use that word. You know what the word retard means and you used it instead of LOSER to make your insult stronger towards president Obama. Ann, you came across as arrogant, especially telling Piers that it would be another 2 years before returning to his show, who cares!

October 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kali

John, It's a sad world we live in when people in power don't watch their words like when President OBAMA said what he did about the Special Olympics on a late night talk show. Remember, he said he was a BAD BOWLER...it's like the Special Olympics, he said. That was offensive! And our President said it! I believe Ann Coulter when she said, she would never insult a person with special needs. And shame on Piers for planting the seed that her comment was meant to insult you!

October 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Morgan Patton

Shame on Piers Morgan and CNN. But also shame on Tim Shriver to exploit a community of people with special needs to be used in a political manner. I have a family member with a disability. I support the Special Olympics with time and resources. I was deeply troubled by what I saw on this program tonight. So long as Tim Shriver is associated with the Special Olympics, I will no longer support it. It is the only way I know to draw a line and communicate that this is unacceptable. I pray for his quick resignation so that I may restore my support for a wonderful organization. The Special Olympics deserves better than this!

October 26, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • AJ

If you no longer support the Special Olympics because of their association with Tim Shriver, then that is just petty and sad. Was your past support for this organization for your own personal vanity? Or do you really believe in the work this organization does?

October 27, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Tim

Morgan Patton, GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!! Bravo for all who exploited this witch Ann Coulter for all that she is. Morgan Patton, it is you who is the disgrace. If people don't bring this to light, it is blown by......something that may not be a big deal to you but it is to those who have special needs. Jerk!

October 27, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Carol

Shame on Piers Morgan and CNN for what??? Being a gentleman and not yelling back while an out of control woman yelled, screamed, attacked, and damned anyone who didn't agree with her completely? Please go back and watch the interview again . You seemed to have missed a lot. Of course if she has her way and the 19th amendment is repealed, someday you and I won't be 'allowed' this type of forum.

October 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

If you really did find President Obama's remarks offensive, why are you so quick to forgive Coulter's? She clearly meant to use that word as an insult. She has a history of making mean spirited and bullying remarks against people. Piers didn't need to "plant any seeds." Ann Coulter hung herself with her own words.

October 27, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruth

I watch Piers' program most of the time but whenI heard Coulter would be on I told my husband I would not watch it this time. I don't like to watch someone who intentionally hurts someone's feelings & doesn't care who it is. My God teaches me to spread LOVE & PEACE & pray for ones such as Coulter.

October 27, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Dempsey Limbaugh

Miss Coulter, you acted like a "retard" this evening with Piers Morgan. You never seemed to understand what he was asking you. You definitely have a problem. I have a nephew with Down Syndrome. There are people who refer to him as a "retard, even those in his class. The latter get this from their parents. You are supposed to have class. No one should call our President a "retard." Had he used this term regarding Romney, all Hell would have broken loose. Next
    time, please choose better words to describe anyone. Thank God Mr. Morgan had John Franklin come on after you.

October 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LYNN SHRADER

The word retard does not only or does it necessary refer to down syndrome individuals. Down syndrome people can be very intelligent, just cannot communicate or articulate well, just at autistic individuals. With our new technology, little children are learning to communicate via i pads. Soon these silent, brilliant children will be running our world. Ms. Coulter will be out of a job, she cannot compete with that type of brilliance!. She is ignorant, please let us all stop using the word retarded! Norman, you are no better using it referring to Ann. Get a dictionary or thesaurus and expand your vocabulary...maybe some NICE word as well!

October 27, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Helga Renfro

It's really interesting how it is obvious who is a Democrat and who is a Republican. I think the ones that agree with Coulter and defend her are Republicans. God help this country if Romney wins.

October 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • tcp

Helga – The ONLY thing clear is your bigotry. I am a proud conservative and have written letters and emails to every conservative pundit who has Coulter on, I support Special Olympics, I have signed the pledge at r-word(dot)org (YEARS ago). You are contributing to the divide with your unwarranted hatred of the "other side".

November 1, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |

To Lynn Shrader,
        you just proved my point Lynn. Calling me a bigot means that you can only see your and your parties extreme point of view. Name calling does not solve our contries problems, next you'll be calling me a retard. Our county is in real trouble and both parties and citizens should work together for the good of all. It was clear from the beginnng of President Obama's election that your party made a pledge not to work with this President, no matter what. Both parties have good and bad and how sad is it that there is so little cooperation.

November 1, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • LYNN SHRADER

I am sure if Ms. Coulter KNEW anyone with special needs she would be more compassionate...at least i HOPE so? Ignorance...

October 27, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Helga Renfro

Why anybody would put this psycho Ann Coulter on the air absolutely beats me.
        Pierce she always has the last word and all you are doing is helping her to promote her books. This woman is a snakle and a disgrace to America.

October 27, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • tcp

Dempsey, Do you even SEE the irony and hypocrisy in your post?

November 1, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. norman

I was watching piers morgan tonite when piers asked ann coulter 'Has race relations changed in america" ? she said their were more child molesters than racists' What plant is this girl living on? I would like to ask ann, its a stupid question but ann are you black? How do you know what minorities are going through unless you are one of them or walked in their shoes! She cant even respect the president of the united states calling him a retard! I think ann needs to look herself in the mirror and call herself the retard she lives in sum sort of bubble and dosnt know what the hell shes talking about most of the time!

October 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LYNN SHRADER

October 27, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. max

I was so anger tonight for again you put my USA down, do you think its more or less now a hateful country you asked Ann! You know your old dirt country is much more hateful than my country could ever be. You seem to think you can come here and work and get rich, and enjoy what we have, and feed off the freedom and still step on us. and some how its right you have no right, and you are so backward and so low classes I just wish you go back to your little hateful country and leave us a lone. Ann, is in your faces and she does it in away most think, but you are one of them that think, I love an care for ever one, but you, you I hate. do you ever hear your hateful ways you think. No Hollywood has come and cover you in there green lie, that its okay to be that way to some but not to them who has been done bad to. You are a lie and you know this. You’re the same as Obama he say any thing for a vote and you do any thing for money. So your backward little helpless country that almost got taken by Hitler is calling you back, so what ever class of person you came from please do us all a big favor and go back to it. With no guns no shame no brains.

October 27, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Pat McColly

Ann Coulter threatened to never come back to the Piers Morgan show. I'm sure that there are millions of people, like myself, who would be thrilled if she were never on your show again. She is an offensive human being.

October 27, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tara

I agree, not only not being back on the show, but I hope her book go right down the drain, I would never spend one penny on anything she is involved in.

October 27, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

To Molly: In reference to your comments about Ms. Coulter not returning to the Piers Morgan show: Agreed! Who wants to be exposed to such hostility again? However, all networks respond to ratings and unfortunately this show may make CNN want her back because the controversy affects those ratings. But, even she has hit a new low. Her name calling and refusal to apologize over such a sensitive issue may just backfire. Even Fox News knew when to push Glen Beck out. Hopefully, we can all sit back and watch her put the noose around her neck and jump. But on a more personal level, I hope she gets some help.

October 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. RAFI

Ann coulter interview was fascinating.Unfortunalely I could not see her standing,but by her pictures and shape I would guess her numbers are 32-31-35-43 ( the last number is her IQ ) which makes her belong to R group

October 27, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AJ

How are her measurements relevant to any of this? If you were trying to be clever with that last remark... you failed.

October 27, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

Not funny, Rafi. Just stupid.

October 27, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Pfrost

Mr. Morgan,

Why didn't you politely invite Ann Coulter to excuse herself from your set. You allowed her to threaten you without so much as a peep from you. Someone needs to stand up to this repulsive human being.

October 27, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kali

PIERS- Do a show with Bill Maher and how he calls women the C-WORD and ask OBAMA why he accepted a MILLION dollars from Bill. Does that mean our OBAMA hinks the C-WORD is OK?

October 27, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Annette

Calling someone the "C" work and the "R" word are two completely different things. While the "C" word is offensive for it's vulgarity, the "R" word is offensive because it perpetuates a stereotype that encourages discrimination against an entire group of innocent and largely defenseless people. As a woman I am offended by the use of the "C" word, but really it's no different than calling someone a "dick"...and is basically just a vulgar way of calling them a jerk. However, when you call someone a retard the intention is to compare that person to a group of people whom you consider to be "less than" everyone else as a way to humiliate or degrade. Your silly comparison doesn't justify what Coulter said.

October 27, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Mr. Morgan: I think you handled Ms. Coulter very well. You did not look agitated or flustered, but she clearly was. I'm glad you gave her full rein and allowed her to show the world her true self. Now maybe the fools who bought her books and follow her on Fox will reconsider and stop supporting her financially.

October 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • rogbahia

Morgan has been giving 'full reign' to a number of Right wingnuts just recently. Hardly any push back on blatant misrepresentations of the facts, and he actually joined them by saying that 'Obama had changed his mind on closing Guantanamo'!
        That was a plain Partisan lie from someone who should be an objective interviewer...Obama—as with practically all he wanted to do—was blocked from moving prisoners to jails within the US.
        CNN, with Cafferty and Blitzer also bashing Obama and repeatedly inviting racist idiots like Sununu, are going to the Foxes!

October 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • rogbahia

Morgan, like Cafferty and Blitzer, has gone Foxy 'unfair and unbalanced' in their choice of questions and guests who are definitely representative of the most reprehensible in Republican politics.

Could be a desperate ploy the halt terrible ratings by appealing to a Pubby base. Where the hell do I go now for obgective and non-partisan TV?

October 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Faith Ramos

I have ason in the military. As a women and mother I have never experienced such disgust as when I see Ann coulter

October 27, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Edgar

Ann was not worth watching. You should have apared her the agony and sent her home early. She really appears to have some cognition challenges.

October 27, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Pat

Ann Coulter is offensive to the female gender and humanity, in general. I hope Piers Morgan decides to have another guest on next time. We do not need or want to hear the crap that comes out of Ann Coulter's mouth. She needs to do some community service work in an inner city neighborhood where she could see the real people she is offending.

October 27, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AJ

I don't think the scope of her offensive remarks covers only the inner city. All right thinking (not politically speaking), rational, decent human beings should be offended any time she opens her mouth.

October 27, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Helga Renfro

Pat, I believe people like us have to make talk show hosts realize that we will not be watching their shows any longer if they invite insulting people like Coulter and furthermore let them promote the poison that they write. CNN shame on you.
      Pierce would certainly be offended if somebody would call his Queen of England a retard. To invite her back is a disgrace. The young man that came on after Ann has a million more times class inspite of his disability. It was so touching to see the gentle heart this young man has. Now you know that there is no love, compassion and decency in Ann Coulter's heart. Maybe she is from another plant. God I hate that woman. Please nobody buy her books.

October 27, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • LYNN SHRADER

Can I hear and AMEN!?

October 27, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
      • LYNN SHRADER

amen!

October 27, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Mjguio

You are just swayed by the clever producing of CNN, she meant nothing more than to call the president incompetent of his job, your ridiculous. I'm gonna buy her book just because of your comment

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
      • LYNN SHRADER

Mjguio...that's the beauty of our country...you go right ahead and waste your money and buy her stupid book...that is why she is on TV making money off of suckers like you...maybe a book she should buy is a dictionary or thesaurus so she can expand her vocabulary...you should too...you might learn something!

October 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

Mr. Morgan, thank you for standing strong against Ann Coulter with her use of the R word. I am a mom of two children with special needs, and a advocate for all those with disabilities, both visible and invisible. Ms. Coulter has shown less intelligence and less compassion to a population she obviously has never had the privelege or choice to know anything about. Shame on you Ann Coulter. Our President is a fine man and should be shown respect, as our leader and a human being, Just as all humans deserve.

October 27, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply

Dear Mary,
      I agree with everything you wrote and I am so angry about this Ann Coulter creature. I disagree however about your comment about Pierce standing up to her. If he had thrown her off his set I could respect him. He helped promote her poison books and she talked over him constanly, which she does to anybody when she appears on shows.
      We need to let the stations know that we disapprove of guests like her. Ratings is all what counts with them and if we threaten not to watch it will count if enough of us protest. I wish you the best with your children and just think how many people her remarks have hurt. I am very sorry that you were hurt.

October 27, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tara

Mr. Morgan, you was great at calling Ann Coulter out for what is was, I can not beleive how anyone could be so disrespectful towards our President of the United States. And whatever that book is about, I would never spend a penny on it or anything she is involved in. She is is so pitiful. Pray for her, I will because she needs some serious help, and did you catch that when she said yeah right like they are following me on twitter, like disabled people are unable to do so.......She is just a sad case.

October 27, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Laurie

I work with handicapped people, they use the term retard to refer to something stupid. Of course they recognize educated idiots when they see it.

October 27, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

Very well said, Laurie! I completely agree with how those with disabilities recognize educated idiots!

October 27, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Susan

I was disgusted by Ann Coulter's comments regarding her calling President Obama a "retard". Mr. Morgan, you were right to challenge her. Good for you! She said "retard" was another name for loser – no where when you look up the word loser, do you find retard as another option. She has obviously never spent any time with people who have a dissability. That word was used negativitely for far too many years to describe such a people. Thankfully those with any amount of respect for mankind would never use that word. Ann Coulter should be ashamed.

October 27, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AJ

Well said, Susan! I couldn't agree more.

October 27, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. MikeBRowne

Piers is such a liberal goon....

October 27, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Helga Renfro

Mike Brown: takes a GOON to recognize a Goon.

October 27, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Abby

Although I didn't always agree with Ann, I loved watching her 'not' take any bull from Pierce. I find him rude and condescending. I very seldom watch his show anymore. As for the R word, I work with Special Needs adults and they call each other the R word all the time because it signifies the word 'loser' to them. I'm sure it's different for small children though and as parents we are very sensitive to people throwing that word at our children. We also care for a Special Needs lady in our home and in the morning I am going to discuss this with her and see what she thinks. I'm pretty sure, like me, she will think it's all about how you say it and who you say it to.

October 27, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • salmaz

I could not agree less...my sister happens to be mentally challenged and I TOTALLY find the 'r-word" offensive. So much so that I have spoken to people in public places before, asking them to refrain from using the term in our presence. It is cruel and insensitive!! It is NOT in anyway synonymous with the word loser and I completely agree with John Franklin it is a bullying word. Not to mention the fact that the office of the President has never in the history of our country been treated with such incredible disrespect. What a horific example we are setting for future generations!! Ann Coultour, have the common decency to apologize if "in fact" your choice of words "may have been offensive". Not everything needs to be political, somethings are simply...human kindness!

October 27, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deborah

Thank-you. Geese get a grip Piers. A big deal over nothing. We need more people who aren't afraid to open their mouths without fearing using the "wrong" word. She did not mean it the way he was trying to make it out to be. I would never advocate disrespecting down syndrome but who says the word retard is aimed at them. Not them from how I have heard them speak to each other. And by the way Piers you are a liberal. And I miss Larry King.

October 27, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ted

You don't get it either, Deborah. Your remarks are another example of the ignorance about the R word.

October 27, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  18. monkeyofstick

She just lets me know why the US is disrespected.

October 27, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. albert

Piers had the gall to ask the down syndrome boy if he had ever met the President???
    The factual stats are that 95% of the pregnancies diagnosed with down syndrome are killed off(aborted) 95%!!!
    Obama is the most pro abortion president ever!!! Not one abortion restriction has he ever turned down. Even the partial birth abortion law he allowed to pass. That's the one that Ann described with the 8 month fetus/baby.

October 27, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • salmaz

His name is John Franklin Stephens, not the "Down Syndrome boy" and you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about! How many family members do you have who suffer from Down's Syndrome or any other severe mental challenges? Your comment is on it's own offensive! I assume with a name such as Albert you are a man, perhaps you would like to speak about something you know a little more about than women's right's and those living with Down's Syndrome.

October 27, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • albert

You obviously haven't red my comments??? How do you know how many friends and family members I have with down syndrome. I have quite a few as a fact. I had a family member who's doctor told her to abort her child but she refused and he has turned out to be a wonderful child. It's a sad world that 19 out of 20 mothers choose to abort with a down syndrome diagnose. China with its one child limit, the majority of the abortions done are to the 1's that are female.

October 27, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
      • steinwayalltheway

I do have a son with Down Syndrome. Ok, so I don't really like the R word all the time, but........I totally don't understand the mindset that is so "offended" by the use of this "word", but at the same time, who is standing up for all the unborn children with D.S. that are being aborted into extinction? This is the true bullying. Ann Coulter has probably done more for helping to protect people with D.S. than Morgan or Shriver. (we won't even mention the beloved president who supported late term abortion in Illinois......) Also , someone should get to musicians and insist that they change all the music that uses retard......

October 27, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jodina

I agree with you totally, Albert.

October 27, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

The "down syndrome boy"? How about refering to him by his name and not the label?

October 27, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. monkeyofstick

As a recovering US veteran,recovering from a stroke,I find it hard to believe that she has the testicals to judge anyone.
    Do me and the rest of the universe a favour and shut the hell up!!

October 27, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Nan

I am not a fan of Ann Coulter but where is the outrage about the President referring to Mr. Romney as a bullsh...in an interview that he knew would be shared to millions as well. Is that being cool?

October 27, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse | Reply

Nan:
      are you serious, bullish is no comparison to "RETARD". maybe you dont know the diverence for another reason.

October 27, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Ross

Please do not ask her back on your show again. She is an ignorant , rude, self centered woman. Who would buy her books.? Our handicappedn people ae not retards, they are lovable , smiling persons and An, not ,you are a moron, not the handicapped. And the speech cancelled in OTTAWA, it is not Ottowa.

October 27, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

Ironically, her hateful language and the fury that her remarks has caused will likely lead to higher sales of Ann Coulter's book.

October 27, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. docfjs

So we should not use the word retard because it offends Mr Stephens? Also we should not use moron, cretin or imbicile because I am sure you can find some people who are offended by those terms. Likewise we should not use the term Redskin and the Washington football team should go by the Native Americans.
    Also we should not use the term mankind because it offends womens groups. Perhaps we should not use the word liar because it offends lawyers and politicians.
    CNN really, really loves victims! How many other Downs syndrome individuals complained about Coulters use of the term? Any? I would guess either 0 or very few.

October 27, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave platts

Retard is a term used for mentally challenged people. My son fought with two boys in fourth grade for calling his disabled sister a retard. He is 26 now. My daughter is 23. It has been a historical term used often in this particular description. Many schools have a no tolerance policy on it's use. We know it was intended to call Obama mentally challenged. I have no problem with Coulter expressions dismay about Obama. Use that term and I will slap you. Now, imbecile is a term of low intelligence based upon the strata on an IQ (Intelligence Quotient) test. These people taking these tests may just be lazy, not mentally challenged. Moron was a slighter lower designation than imbecile on these tests and those terms have went away because, well, the people who speak angrily rely on these terms to express themselves. Folks don't like negativity on terms brought out by profressionals. You realize roughly 20,000 words exists to express yourself. You and Ann could stand to learn a few.

It is so easy to state that folks like you must struggle with these elevated stratas on intelligence tests as you have aptly mentioned in your commentary. But I don't think I have to explain what I perceive your performance are on these tests. By the way, I could care less about Obama. It's rough when Spanish speaking people know how to express themselves better than the folks in this country who claim English as their only language.

October 27, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

I think we should also change the words " manhole covers" to " personhole covers". See how ridiculous things can get?

October 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • dave platts

I I just love to read comments from ignorant people. Manhole covers vs. retard. Please. If I called your Mom a vicious name, you would not be offended? Because I'm thinking it. Oh, maybe she's just a manhole cover.

July 19, 2013 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  24. mary h.

I am sure Ann's mother is so disappointed she gave birth to a "retard".

October 27, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Debbie

Well done Piers – you kept Ms. Coulter on her toes and in her place! I try so hard to understand where she is coming from but every time I am just blown away by her contentious remarks and offensive manner. In contrast, I appreciate Shriver's appearance tonight and agree that this country is becoming a nation of bullies where there seem to be no ethical boundaries. Unlike Reagan's trickle down economics, the impact of words and actions displayed in politics and the media are powerful and shame this country. Is it any wonder we have teenagers killing themselves due to cyberbullying when our leaders are setting this example?

October 27, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

Yes indeed! KUDOS TO PIERCE!!

October 27, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jerry Stephenson

I am beginning to have more and more respect for Piers Morgan nightly. I have certainly heard of Ann Coulter before, but don't watch much of the hate being spewed on Fox, so have never really seen her on tv before tonight. I hope to never see her again, and I wish she would be treated like someone at CBS, or NBC, or ABC would be treated for making such a comment after the debate and be fired, but of course, she won't because more and more we have become so divided in this country that those that follow Fox Networks probably applaud her as a heroine for saying it. I have a niece who has been called that many times in her life and a friend of mine recently lost his son who was, also. Both are far smarter than most of us at times, and YES, Ann Coulter, the word is VERY offensive not only to the individuals who it is directed at, but also to anyone who has a family member that fits in the category the word is meant for. If she has the intelligence she tries to exhibit, she knows that all too well, and she KNOWS it was an offensive thing to say. She meant it to be offensive. As for insulting the President of the United States, I agree with Piers when he says it is becoming very offensive in this country the way the office holder is being ridiculed and degraded. I wasn't a supporter of George W. Bush for many reasons, but I would never refer to him in that manner, or in any manner demeaning to the office he held. What you think of a man personally is one thing, but respect the office he holds and the fact that to the world he is the leader of this nation. We, as Americans, have lost too much respectability for our leaders and let people like Ms Coulter and Rush Limbaugh spew hate to us until we begin to hate one side or the other. A perfect example is how the Republicans vowed to make President Obama a one term president and put that ahead of any reasonable effort to improve the economy, or help bring us out of the terrible recession he inherited by steadfastly refusing to support ANY program, or initiative he tried to get passed over the past few years. To me, that borders on treason, and none of those involved deserve to be re-elected those unfortunately, many will be. It was and is the biggest disgrace in the history of politics in this nation. When the country needed Congress to work together more than at any time since the Great Depression, they put party politics above the interests of the nation as a whole. People like Ann Coulter are at least partly to blame for it, and hopefully, one day they will either see what they are doing, or will be held accountable for it. Hopefully, regardless of which candidate gets elected on Nov. 6th, the opposition party won't do the same thing with him. If so, neither will be effectively lead us to a much improved economy and strengthen our position on the national debt, or deficit. We can't afford to see such any longer. GROW UP and do your job, and let's all stand behind whoever is elected regardless of how you voted. We have to unite in this country and forget our differences if we are going to succeed and do well again.

October 27, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Elaine

I am so offended by Ann Coukter's use of the word "retarded" as a synonym for the word loser. How could she not know that is insulting to people with disabilities? Either she's in denial or just a stupid blonde. Oops, did I just stereotype a whole group of people with an insulting term? Even as an example, it feels terrible to stoop to her level.

October 27, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Eddie B.

Ms. Coulter was in rare form again today on "The View". She was saying, in not so many words, that the Democratic party is nothing but racist by putting a Black man up for election knowing that there was a good chance of them winning the Presidency to futher their agenda. She also was saying that Democrats exploit Blacks and Mexicans to get their votes. Barbara Walters ended the whole babble fest by saying " I have only one statement for Ms. Coulter.... Thank you for coming" Pretty much saying get out! I will say though, that through all the arguing and people talking over each other it was hard to follow what Ms. Coulter was saying, so excuse me if I may be slightly incorrect with this assesment.

October 27, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Name*lu

We are more worried about the word retard. The partial birth abortion. Wow!

October 27, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stacie

No, it is the millions of people who are offended, become depressed, or feel isolated by the use of that word. Don't change the subject by suggesting that we are not concerened about partial birth abortions.

October 27, 2012 at 6:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mjguio

I know, how retarded is that?!? Pfffftt

October 27, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • LYNN SHRADER

AGAIN...another stupid comment...you are full of crap!

October 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • steinwayalltheway

I do have a child with DS. I am aware of all the "offensiveness" of the word (except for musicians who use it all the time, gee....I guess it means slow) Anyway, I am always baffled by these discussions. Where is the OUTRAGE of the fact that these same people who are so offended don't stand up for aborting these people into extinction. I really wonder how many of the people posting on here would choose to keep their baby if they found out that it was Down Syndrome?

October 27, 2012 at 7:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Abby

Finally a voice that makes sense! Do people miss the point on purpose? Lets get over the "R" word and start defending DS children from the get go. Lets defend their right to life!! A few others have also tried to get that across as well but yours was short, sweet and to the point. I think Piers did a wonderful job muddying the water and distracting every one from the real issue. The right to life. I am so bothered about how cruel we have become as people. We are much worse than using an uncool word. We see unborn "children" as disposable, send our money to Green Peace to save unborn whales and get snarky over the incorrect usage of a word.

October 27, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
      • StacieName*

If you have a diagnosed with DS, then u should be more empathetic to the "r" word being tossed around. How would u feel if ur child was called a loser or retarded? Are they not offensive??

October 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Name*lu

I agree with Abby we need to be outraged that these beautiful people are being aborted every day .

October 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ursula

Ann Coulter: an idiot, imbecile, moron, creaton and loser. She is so blinded by her own ignorance that I can't imagine she's able to function in her day to day life.

October 27, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Kathy

Ann Coulter kind of reminds me of Rush Limbaugh. They want to appeal to a certain demographic and they're quite successful. They have very loyal fans who buy their books and listen to their broadcasts. But I don't think she or Rush really buy into everything they say, they just make a good living saying it. Shock sells. You love them or you hate them, and any strong feelings, positive or negative, is good for name recognition. They thank you. Now....would I sit at a dinner table with her. Not on your life. I cringe at what comes out of her mouth. But I doubt she would find me very interesting either.

October 27, 2012 at 3:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Suneeta

Piers,
    Bravo for your interview with Ann Coulter. I think she really was upset because she couldn't soften you with her charm. She showed her lack of clear thinking by giving you ultimatums about how long she would give you on a particular subject. She was petulant and not at all professional. Your interview of Ann Coulter was so revealing about her thinking. She obviously skirted the issue regarding Sununu and made an adroit comment. The point you made was that Sununucompletely disregared General Colin Powell's rationale for endorsing President Obama. Ann Coulter not surprisingly just seemed to agree with Sununu by implying that she didn't think it was a big deal if General Powell did endorse the President because of race. She really did feel that was the reason for the endorsement. She just couldn't see how comparing Gen. Powell's endorsement to the average person voting for the President Obama because of race, just aren't equal. A politcal endorsement that a four star General Statesman makes is a thoughtful descision that has an impact on many people. It is not undertaken lightly nor done in secret as our votes by law can be. It was so obvious that Ms. Coulter disregarded General Colin Powell's intellect. She just shows her own bias with her remarks.

October 27, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. sandy in florida

Ms.Coulter is obviously someone who is in starvation of something she seems to have never had; and that is attention... No one who portrays to be an intellectual (as she does) and speak as opinionated on topics "without belief" that the words that come from their mouth isn't pure ignorance cannot really want to be taken seriously. My analysis of her is that she has learn to accept the true realization that she has never been anyone that anyone else really cared to listen too and becoming an obnoxious columnist using offensive remarks and topics of any sort was a way for her voice to be overwhelmingly heard publicly. And her tongue isn't worth the saliva it produces.

October 27, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jane

My daughter came home from middle school in sixth grade very upset because a teacher's aide who was escorting a goup of special ed students shouted "Make way I have the retards here!" I will never forget it.

October 27, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. belinda

I hope Piers does not give Coulter any more free press. I think a lot of what she does to attract attention is deliberate–the more people chat about her, the more she will continue to act out when she wants or needs to be noticed. Today, it was to sell her book. She does not seem to act or speak out of concern for others but for herself–I find her very egocentric and crude. To me, she does not reflect an intelligent person–if she was, she would understand the need to listen–that is how we learn. As far as using inappropriate language, Ann as a columnist should know that words have both denotative/dictionary meanings and connotative meanings (a person acquires it as a result of their experience and knowledge). Most writers know to stay away from terms that appear to discriminate, demean, or otherwise negatively impact readers/listeners in an offensive manner. Ann also should read the Americans with Disabilities Act and discern its intention. Lastly, I would ask show hosts and others who invite guests to appear to think carefully about what you are promoting . When people stop buying the books, etc. and watching the interviews, ratings will fall and offensive guests will no longer be invited. Contact the network, publisher, show host, etc. to say you will no longer watch programs of, purchase books by, etc. of a particular person and your reasons. So we are all clear, suggesting to Ann that the "r" word should not be used does not violate her rights–this is not a situation where the "word police" are stomping on her rights. As a professional writer, she should know by now that when she speaks, writes, etc., her personal agenda is off the table–no one cares what her personal self has to say in a busn. setting. She is there to act like a professional and to provide the best for her client or boss. And please–anyone in this age group knows that the "r" word is perjorative and not acceptable to use–it is the shortened version of "mental retardation" which was the medical diagnosis and was used some years ago by drs., educators, etc. in a medical/clinical setting. The "r" word shortened and used as slang has a negative connotative meaning that makes it unacceptable to those who believe respect is an important part of communicating and caring. It also is important since the penalties for discrimination, etc. can be quite expensive. Professionals have an obligation not to promote any type of discrimination. Thx all and enjoy your weekend!

October 27, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

Excellent post, belinda. I would like to add that it is not a "right" to hurt and demean people. The R word is such a hurtful word.. Coulter has no idea!!

October 27, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Cardinal

Piers, I love your show. You are a great journalist and I respect how you maintain your ability to be focused and this night was a clear example of it. Ms. Ann Coulter could not control her emotions and her tongue. She made a complete fool of herself and her beliefs. She might not be racist or stereotype the mentally impaired, but that is the way she portrayed her outlook on those subjects. Ms. Coulter needs to understand that her statements were disrespectful and irrational, I have been trying to understand her logic but it was just too prejudice. Even her outlook on the Middle East and Guantanamo Bay were appalling to say the least. Anyway I thoroughly enjoy your show and thank you.

October 27, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Dave

I was watching the news and then the Piers Morgan show came on afterwards with Ann Coulter on it. It is so sad that people actually care what this british retard has to say. There are three "mentally challenged" people in my immediate family. I do not care much for Ann Coulter but it is so moronic that people have taken her statement and made such abig deal about it. What a bunch of idiots. I can still remember when the "word police" were not so anal about what was said. Archie Bunker for president.

October 27, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Stacie

Piers, I am a faithful viewer and love your show! I must admit that after watching the re-airing of the Ann Coulter interview, I developed anger, nervousness, anxiety, frustration, and bitter anger!! She has no idea how offensive and down right nasty she is to use the "r" word over and over again. I am a third grade teacher of children with Autism and many of them have encounterd bullies on the playground that use the "r" word on a regular basis. I understand that you are a fair journalist that provides everyone an opportunity to tell their story, but Ann Coulture is that bully and you provided her with a platform that she did not deserve.

October 27, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

Ah but Pierce stood up to her and called her on it. She refused to be educated about the offensiveness of the R word. I have a flicker of hope that maybe Frank got through to her at the end of the show.

October 27, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Mjguio

She wasn't using the word to offend the mentally challenged you guys are ridiculous to flip that around on her, nobody actually calls the mentally challenged that word. Nobody's that stupid. Great show though

October 27, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mollysmomma

but, it does, and everytime it's used, just like the N-Word, whether it's intended to or not...it does.

October 27, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Annette

I've heard this argument more than once, and it's completely incorrect. I have a son who is Autistic, and he's been called the "R-word" by people who don't even know him. It's the "go to" word for kids, who have limited vocabularies, when they want to insult someone for whatever reason, and EVERYONE knows exactly who the "retards" are, and who the person being called one is being compared to. I don't tolerate it, and I teach my children not to tolerate it either. People need to stop pretending they don't understand why it's offensive. Shouldn't we, as adults, hold ourselves to a higher standard than to use stupid playground bully language to express ourselves? Coulter is an author, and as such ought to have a more expansive and expressive vocabulary to draw from when she wants to insult someone without having to lower herself to using the word she chose.

October 27, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

WRONG!! This word IS used to bully, ridicule, and insult the mentally challenged. That's how it started.

October 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Helga Renfro

Ted, you are scary, Ann Coulter has never made sense, she is hateful and completely rude. Just buy her books and help her get richer.

October 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

You are correct in she was not referring to someone who has Down syndrome etc. However you could not be more wrong in saying that no one would use the term in reference to someone who has a mental disability. See some of the other posts. It is used all the time and not just by children, by adults too. Wish it was not true but that is why people are hurt by it it reminds them of painful experiences.

October 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. akaal

Ms. Coulter is far too intelligent and verbally gifted to resort to throwing around the "R" word and I am so annoyed that she did so. But, Mr. Morgan should not be getting so sanctimonious about her lack of respect for the president. 1. She was not referring to the president when she used the word. 2. President Obama, on the Tonight Show in March 2009, whilst discussing his bowling game said, "like the Special Olympics or something," I didn't hear very many people haul him across the carpet for that remark! I know he apologized, but I believe when he made that comment, it was not the first time nor the last time he has mocked Special Olympics and the mentally challenged. It came out of his mouth so easily.

October 27, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Eileen Miller Wilson

the best thing Piers could have done? was to have CANCELED Coulter, and devoted the time to Mr Stephens. The only reason the R word is still being tweeted? because if she had called the Prez the N-Word, someone would have beat her up, and our kids don't lean that way. But Ann? Those kids have mamas, and those mama's have cartons of eggs. Just Sayin'.

October 27, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Mary

Plain and simple...Ann Coulter is nothing other than immature and a bully...l

And as saying goes..."Loose lips sink ships" and "What goes around comes around"!

Ann Coulter needs to grow up.

October 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. L. Rose Freeman

The lack of respect and ignorance she showed was no sign of a "classy republican". I could not believe the crude, crass comments coming out of that woman's mouth. I found this whole debate insulting, for people with developmental disabilities. Thank you Pierce for bringing Frank on the speak for all of those who can't. To Ann Coulter- the term "retard" is just as bad as calling someone the N word. If you called ANYONE the N word, it would be insulting. Same with, idiot, moron, and all the other crap you spewed out. Its all an insult and you being "conservative"....that is hilarious. A conservative women wouldn't say half the stuff you said...they show RESPECT, DIGNITY, AND CLASS...which you show none of-CLEARLY.

Go back to a time where people had there freedoms taken away. Take away a woman's right to vote, lock up anyone with a psychological disorder... WRONG! Times have changed lady, Language has changed. You have the right to say and do what you want in America. But there are ramifications for your actions. I would never buy your book. And in 13 months if Pierce lets you back, I won't watch. You insult my intelligence.

October 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • L. Rose Freeman

PIERS***

October 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply

L. Rose Freeman,
      I completely agree with ev.erything you said. Let's tell Pierce not to have people like her on his show.
      Ratings do matter

October 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • L. Rose Freeman

Thank you. I hope he reads all of the comments and understands people like her shouldn't be given the time of day :) Put more people like Frank on who inspire us to be better people, not only for ourselves but everyone in society. We've come along way to go back to such vulgarity.

Lets stop funding ANN COULTER! Fund Special Olympics.

October 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • LYNN SHRADER

but she did say we should take back women's right to vote...she said it was an experiment gone wrong...she must have forgotten she is a woman as well...I think? so she would lose her right to vote...but maybe not...maybe she isn't a human. being at all...she certainly has no respect for human kind...she was just spewing crap everywhere!

October 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • L. Rose Freeman

Exactly what I was thinking. Who would want to strip anyone of their rights? She's completely out of touch with reality.

October 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Helga Renfro

Mary,
    Ann is never going to change. She is creating these controversies because it sells her books. Actually she is a brilliant
    business woman. She also has no class what so ever.

October 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. miramira8

WordPress.com

Username or Email

Password

Remember Me
    Lost your password?

You are being asked to login because mhaydn901@gmail.com is used by an account you are not logged into now.
    By logging in you'll post the following comment to John Franklin Stephens on his open letter to Ann Coulter: "Use me as a symbol for someone who fights adversity":

Ann got to me too cold or no cold. She referred to our President as an idiot (and BTW, what about the way Romney interrupted the President and Moderator Jim Lehrer in the first debate again and again – so much for "gentle and kind Romney in the third debate he really just looked tired – and what about his condescension to the President in the second debate – raising eyebrows on the question of whether or not Obama refused to the attack in Benghazi as terrorist only to be proved wrong by facts). All of that is fair enough given the election is in 10 days and we are all just getting through the campaigning. But for a writer, a lawyer and commentator to refute the meaning and the root of the word retard is stunning. Here's a bit from Merriam-Webster – "Middle English, from Anglo-French or Latin; Anglo-French retarder, from Latin retardare, from re- + tardus slow" – President Obama was anything but slow in his responses during the third debate. In musical terms the definition for Ritardando (or rit.) is an indication to gradually decrease the tempo of the music (opposite of accelerando), that is to slow up. I don't understand how Ms. Coulter can attempt to separate words from their meaning without at least attempting to cite how she is intending to use the word first if she wants to be read, listened to and respected for her views. "Oh I'm tired of the word police?" Really? A writer and lawyer is tired of people questioning the use of language? Using the word as she did is equivalent to something a bullying 7th grader might say. go ahead and poo poo dictionaries Ann, but a good intellect doesn't okay insulting everyone who isn't just like you. If you are truly a Christian first, I might remind you of the many times Jesus would, at least according to the New Testament I'm familiar with, go off to pray by himself, meditate on the matters at hand and maybe once in a while throw a fit. It seems to me Ann Coulter enjoys the fit throwing whether it's verbal, written and doesn't care whom she offends in the process. Christ cared and carefully chose his words and deeds. I'm not going to comment on her using the R word negatively other than to say clearly she did and refuses to accept criticism and clearly John Franklin Stephens and Tim Shriver spoke better to that than I could. But overall I think Piers Morgan did a great job in tying in Coulter's remarks to the Sununu comment about Colin Powell endorsing President Obama. If you get a chance I recommend seeing what Retired Army Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, a Republican, said about the Republican party with regard to the current election and racism – it may be finally coming to a head. Ms. Coulter might generally consider listening as much as she speaks. It's a great antidote for those who love to hear themselves spew. that said if I can get to read her book Mugged without purchasing it I will – Thanks!

October 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Abby

I wonder how many of you who are calling her names because she used the 'R' word, believe in aborting an imperfect fetus/baby? A bit hypocritical don't you think????

October 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply

To Abby:
      the abortion issue is seperate from what this was all about. This brave young man was not aborted and calling our President a RETARD is the main issue and all other disabled and challenged people. Go vote for Romney and maybe if we are lucky he will outsource you too. Good ridance.

October 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LYNN SHRADER

I don't believe aborting an imperfect baby was the issue here, but I would never advocate doing that. I teach these so called imperfect children, however, I see them totally perfect! More so than most because they don't judge others, they are just loving and sweet...so NO abortion for anyone, but I am sure that will open a whole can of worms as well...I value life! it is ALL PERFECT!

October 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Coleen in RI

Abby it is very interesting that the far right ( or as I refer to as the far wrong) wants to take money away from planned parenthood ,which provides education and preventative services , not just abortions. But they also want to cut social services for the poor. Who is going to pay for all these unwanted children? Republicans say they want smaller government , fine first step is get out of my uterus , there is no room for you there.

October 28, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. peter & anne

ann coulter is having fun running all the way to the bank..did she have a relationship w/Bill Maher ?...

October 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. rogbahia

Coulter is just the right guest to support Morgan's latest obvious leanings towards criticising Obama. She is the most vitriolic, divisive anti-woman I have ever seen and just turn her off—whenever she pops up outside her safe Fox environment—and will no doubt help what seems to be a CNN move towards the 'Right'.

Blitzer and Cafferty were the frontrunners, and now Piers.

Could this be a desperate move by CNN to up ratings by appealing to a broader—and 'Right'—public?!

October 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. John Sergent

Please do not give Ms. Coulter a platform to continue to spew her venom!!! She is completely out of touch and only serves to lower your ratings. SERIOUSLY!!! Clearly, this woman has diagnosable personality disorders and until these can be treated by a qualified Psychiatrist, there's no point in her return!

October 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ted

I agree wholeheartedly, John!

October 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Vonvervengarten

I am as conservative as you're going to find, but I find Ann's sad vocabulary so ignorant and elitist. She doesn't want to have to follow any type of rule that may inhibit her right of free speech.

If free speech is elevated on the backs of the poor souls that are denigrated by it, I for one see it as nothing to embrace or celebrate.

Yes, Ann, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

It infuriates me as a conservative that, at this late point in the election cycle, she marginalizes an individual that 10% of the population include within their families. (as per government census numbers). She also gives the left wing media another way of framing conservatives as "the bad guys".

Maybe she's really a liberal?

October 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Charlie Potatoes

Piers Moron, your loyal viewers look forward to you covering the BBC and Times Mirror Scandals.
    Have the pedophiles you cater to altered your quest for a hot story.
    I was waiting for you to question Ms. Coulter, if she ever had an affair with a lesbian retard.
    By the way, Anne Coulter is way too skilled for your techniques to denigrate and dissuade.

October 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Mike

Since 90% of diagnosed Down syndrome pregnancies are aborted, it's alright to kill them but you can't call them a bad word, you guys are f'ing retarded

October 28, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Stan Theman

I have never felt better for having never watched this phone-hacking bafoon from the Motherland. I haven't wasted any time on him or this joke of a "news" network.

October 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. lulu

will a coulter have a retard of her own sm day ?...

October 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. Phillip Joseph Grasso

Mr Morgan. I watched your interview with Ms. Coulter the other night and was extremely disturbed with her comment Retard. I have coached Special Olympics for the last 32 years and it has been the most rewarding experience of my life.

She was disrespectful to President Obama and any person who is physically or mentally challenged.
    Your ar a real gentleman and a very professional journalist. Please don't have her on again.

PJ. Grasso I am Chris Christie's Uncle. Fyi

October 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. MIke

Right wing nut jobs such as Coulter do not know the meaning of the word "apology". Or if intelligent enough to know what it means, it's simply anathema to them.

October 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Dave F.

Coulter is an immature, bigoted, egomaniacal, self-promoting clown (aka the female version of Rush Limbaugh). Other than the fact that she apparently doesn’t try to eat every last donut she can find, her only real difference with Rush is her self-recognized status as an intellectual. She’s really a pseudo-intellectual who spends the bulk of her time alluding to obscure historical figures (like comparing Obama to Robespierre) in a lame attempt to impress everyone (I suspect she’s really try to convince herself that she’s not the empty suit clown that most people think she is). She’s totally exposed her immaturity with her insensitive “retard” comment. Calling Obama a “retard” is a few steps up from saying he has “cooties”. She's such a clown that she's making perennial loud mouth, Donald Trump look palatable. The only thing she's missing to make her clown status official is the bright orange hair, big red nose, and the floppy shoes.

October 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. NOBAMA2012

Romney must link Obama's premature reaction to a looming Hurricane Sandy with a press conference on Sunday, a full day before the storm made landfall, with that surrounding the attacks in Benghazi. He needs to ask why the response this time was so quick. He must be the one to ask that question! He needs to make the point that Obama looks like a guy with a poor grasp of two different situations.

October 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply

to nobama2012:
      your choice of your name says it all. Leave the tragedy of Sandy and Benghazi out of this conversation. Neither tragedies should enter this conversation. We are talking about the nutcase Ann Coulter. The poor grasp is coming out of your mouth. The country needs to come together now and you go vote for your Romney/Ryan and just hope they don't win. This country will go backwards with these two guys. Ofcourse if you are wealthy you would have it made.

October 31, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. Nuke Dukem

Whether you want to admit it or not, Ann Coulter has a freedom just like each and every one of you do, and that's to voice herself as she wishes. It might not have been the most pleasing choice of vocabulary, but trying to censor someone and encourage them to change their speech in the future isn't right. It's as if someone elses freedom bothers you. She is who she is; if you don't like her, don't watch her television segments, don't buy her books, and don't give her publicity like you are by talking about her. It was crude, alright we got it... don't try to change someone as much as you should strengthen yourself and be better than her.

November 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply