Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

November 7th, 2012

David Axelrod on Bill Clinton: "He was the most valuable player in this campaign ... he just campaigned his heart out"

On the heels of Barack Obama securing a second term as President of the United States, on Wednesday "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes David Axelrod for his unique insight and perspective from the winning side.

Joining Piers Morgan for a primetime exclusive, the campaign's senior strategist reveals the very first phone call the incumbent placed after securing victory:

"As he said to President [Bill] Clinton, he was the most valuable player in this campaign," said Axelrod, referencing the conversation between the two most-recent Democratic presidents. "He [Clinton] just campaigned his heart out because he believes there were two choices here, and one led us forward, and one led us back, and he was vey effective out there. So, there is a strong sense of gratitude, and I think the president is looking forward to calling on President Clinton, in the future, for advice, councel, and assistance, as we move this country forward."

As this evening's conversation takes on a lighter tone, Morgan asks his guest about his signature facial hair which spared shearing thanks to a trio of states coming up blue:

"When I made the bet, the bet was if we lost Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Minnesota, I would shave off my mustache. I did it with complete confidence, that this mustache – which has been appended to my face for 40 years – was going nowhere," says Axelrid, grinning beneath his trademark upper lip covering. "I was confident then. I was pleased that I was right but sometimes you just have to take a stand, and I did on that one."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as Barack Obama's former Senior Adviser describes the moment on Tuesday that the campaign started to feel as though they were going to win another election.

Post by:
Filed under: America's Choice 2012
  1. Griff.

"What good is an Axle without wheels??? Remember Pierse, or was it so many years before your time, you slipped the knot?? My mum told me half a century ago a 'Fool andhis Money', are soon parted. Well nothings changed, and there are millions more inteligent people out there!"

November 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Latif

Please Mr Morgan speak a little slow as it is hard for common American to understand you when you speak fast
    I love and watch your show
    I can understand fine when you speak normally but sometimes you go too fast and over my head
    Thanks

November 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Griff.

"Mitt Romney did not 'Blew it" Obama was thrown some water-wings, but how long will they keep him afloat??
    Mitt Romney is worth billions to the right investors!"

November 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • No name

The GOP was 'out foxed' by the democrats. Like it or not. Tough luck, Mitty boy!

November 7, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • J'

The only wings Obama had was the wings of God's Angels. He will stay afloat for the next four years. But Rommy lost the race because God sat the course. And another thing. you can have all the money in the world, but you can never enter into heaven with it. Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!

November 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Griff.

"OBama's intesity is selling the USA, and he's loving it because he started with nothing!!"

November 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joshua

Your mum forget to give you your Prozac?

November 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • No name

He might start without nothing but he has more than you. He is president of the USA. Too bad Graff!!!

November 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Nancy S.

I am elated that President Obama has been reelected, and am happy to hear about President Obama's phone call to President Clinton that David Axelrod mentioned. Related to this, I thought President Obama's acceptance speech was great except for one omission. For me it was terribly remiss in not publicly acknowledging and thanking President Clinton for his critical contribution to the campaign. In particular, I will never forget how effective President Clinton's masterful speech/tutorial was at the convention, and no doubt his tireless stumping in the field continued in this vein. Thanks.

November 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • newsrell

Agreed with you completely there. It was a big omission, for a star, a MVP of his team. Clinton lost his voice stumping for Obama. The guy spoke like almost in pain but soldiered on. He said he lost his voice in service of his president. What a decent compassionate President.

November 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bain

I totally agree with you. I have listened President Obama’s victory speech—it was nice speech but to me something was missing from his speech, and it made me sad that he did not publicly acknowledge and thank President Bill Clinton which I thought he would do.

November 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. JLM

I think it is wonderful how Bill Clinton was so helpful to President Obama's campaign this time around. They made a great impact and I am sure President Obama and Bill Clinton will be remembered historically as great Presidents in this country. Couldn't be more happy to move forward and for these two men to collaborate. Good times ahead!!

November 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Flagship, NC

Bill Clinton,
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

November 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF EVIDENT

I need a few tickets to the BIG show! No, not the Superbowl! Anybody got tickets to the inauguration? Well, I know its free but I can't wait to travel down to Washington D.C. for the Big dance. I'm getting ready to make my reservations. I wasn't there in 2008 but this time I'll be there because I just have to see President Obama in person. This is history in the making again!

"People get ready, there a train a-coming
    You don't need no baggage, you just get on board
    All you need is faith to hear the diesels humming
    Don't need no ticket, you just thank the lord."

Congratulations President Obama! America loves you and God bless you and the First Lady and family and Joe Biden and Second Lady and family!

November 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. rexdogcanadien

When will Native Americans get back their homeland?

November 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. andrew

Pres. Clinton did it for the Pres,,he did not do it for Gore..& GWBush was hiding some place..would not come forth to endorse Romney in person..he hid in the Cayman Isls just bef. the election.....

November 9, 2012 at 5:04 am | Report abuse | Reply