Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

November 13th, 2012

Anthony Bourdain on joining CNN: "This is a relationship that's going to open up the world to me ... in ways that I've long aspired to"

With a brand new television program set to debut in April, Anthony Bourdain is the newest addition to the stable of CNN personalities and presenters.

Entitled "Parts Unknown," the show will combine the globally-acclaimed chef's love for food and travel, in particular, how those two mix with one another.

In advance of the series' launch, on Tuesday Bourdain joined Piers Morgan for an exclusive interview, explaining how his new gig at CNN came to be:

"Well, you guys called, and, at a good time. It was a very exciting opportunity to shoot in places that I'd been wanting to shoot for a long time," said the multiple New York Times bestselling author. "This is a relationship that's going to open up the world to me and my creative partners in ways that I've long aspired to."

Well-regarded for his work both in the kitchen and on the small screen, Bourdain is convinced that his medium provides him a unique window into the human experience:

"I think what we found over the years, shooting all over the world, is that just by virtue of showing up with food, just to see how people live, and eat, and drink, as your only extensible criteria, people show themselves to you, reveal themselves to you, in ways that they often wouldn't to a hard news reporter for instance," he told the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host. "I've had a really unique perspective on a lot of societies, on a lot of countries and cultures, that I don't think other people have been able to see, largely because people let their guard down at the table."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Bourdain goes on to tell the tale of the time he first crossed paths with CNN, as he came across reporter Barbara Starr during an evacuation from Lebanon.
> Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. demosessimanjuntak683

Reblogged this on AMBAR SIPON HUTA GUR-GUR KOTA SIPAHUTAR and commented:
    AMBAR SIPON HUTA GUR-GUR KEC.SIPAHUTAR

November 14, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Tim dennehy j

i would find more entertaining guests and probably more interesting at a mr blobby contest.

November 14, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. snoopy

Both CNN and Bourdain are awful.

November 14, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeff

So says the person on the CNN website. Are you a republican?

November 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • heatherschildcare

He's giving an opinion. So why attack him on him on his politics? What difference does it make?

November 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howard Ganglinger

Great response Snoopy. Now get on back to Fox News, Honey Boo Boo, and Swamp People.

November 15, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • heatherschildcare

Your response is idiotic! I'm sure we can dig into YOUR life and uncover LOTS of things.....now can't we???

November 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • dale

Beautiful...well put.

November 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rick

Hey, man. Don't talk crap about Swamp People.

January 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • upsidedown333

haha, my response to you is: NO!

November 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Matthew

When I found out No Reservations was going off the air I nearly wept! I can't wait for Bourdain's new show! Great work CNN!!!

November 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. johnnystop

ab – look up the artist Miguel Conde in Sitges – you would mesh very well. Best fortune on your new endeavor!

November 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. davecu

Any man who has the ability to eat a warthog's b-tt hole when offered, can't be all bad.

He was an honored guest with a bushman tribe and was offered the aforementioned 'delicacy'. With 'some' trepidation he swallowed. This is a man who understands non white/European cultures and appreciates them.

Good addition CNN.

November 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Andrew Reese

I love Bourdain...every year we try to hit 3-5 restaurants that he has on his shows. This year was Tickets, Swan's Oyster Depot etc etc. I can not wait for the new show...but I hope that he keeps that edge that he has always had. I almost wish that he would do a show on Showtime so that he could let loose a bit more, and I wonder if CNN will heavily censor him. I certainly hope not. And for some of these responses....I am a conservative Republican and I love Bourdain. I do not have to agree with the guys politics to enjoy his show, his commentary, and general outlook on life. D-bags

November 16, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. LastoftheZucchiniFlowers

I like it that Bourdain has matured both as a media representative of world cuisine AND will no longer be asked simply to 'review' other chefs product, restaurants and personalities. He's better than that, and hopefully this new show will be the forum for him as a more sage though still bitingly articulate raconteur of eating. No more fried Ortolani rapture, though, Tony – please?

November 17, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jawz46

Love Bourdain and his shows.. He's edgey @ times,but he is not the quintessential " ugly american"..He's respectful and will make a good fit with CNN. Good move CNN. You've got my vote...

November 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. huskersrock1

This is the first good move CNN has made in years. Bourdain is awesome, he created a entire new form of TV entertainment. As for Tony can you imagine a better job, traveling the world, eating at restaurants and on the street and sharing it.

November 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Caprice

Ugh ! I cant stand this guy !

November 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • devnull

IUggh I cant stand your name ....

November 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Golf Daddy

Dear Mr. Bourdain-

Your foul smoking habit and terribly bad manners in attacking Paula Deen shows a complete lack of class and renders anything good you have to say about food on CNN irrelevant.

November 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jim mac47

He quit smoking when he had his first child. Anthony is a Chef, Paula is a cook.

November 20, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ktappe

Anyone who attacks Paula Deen gets more respect in my eyes. Her recipes are awful and she is a secret sellout. She should not be defended.

November 20, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave

but getting drunk on camera is OK

November 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Scottie B.

Wow..you sound painfully jealous!

November 23, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Will

Don't forget that Anthony is an award winning writer – probably the thing he is most famous for besides his television shows was his considerably well reviewed books. It was his writing that got him noticed quite a bit more than his restaurant.

November 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jim Mac47

Anthony has come a long way. After watching his visit to Haiti and a few other 3rd world places I an see he understands people for all walks of life. I like that. When you watch his shows you feel like you are there with him. His camera and production people are remarkable!

November 20, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave

too bad he does not respect his staff enough to refrain from getting intoxicated on camera

November 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mike T

I have been, and continue to be, a big fan of Bourdain. He is uniquely human in his portrayal of the eating habits of humanity. I'm excited to see what he brings to CNN because quite frankly CNN is pretty boring, and I've lessened my time watching CNN and find myself more tuned into MSNBC (HA...you thought I was gonna say Fox News didn't ya...I said bored not stupid!).

November 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave

CNN will be pretty boring until the get Erin and Soledad to make out

November 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. dave

How long does he have to work until he is eligible for the EAP program. I don't think CNN will let him be drunk on camera like the travel channel does.

Get Help Tony

November 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • derp

You must be a terribly boring person.

November 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. dale

Congratulations, Mr. Bourdain...and CNN.

November 20, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. janetlaw

Now if we can just get rid of Piers Morgain....oh, wait, have Bourdain replace him! Perfect!

November 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sam

Like another poster stated, I too was nearly in tears when I heard that "No Reservations" was going to be ending. This has been one of my favorite programs for the past two years. I am concerned about this move to CNN, however. Part of Bourdain's charm is his uncensored reactions and remarks, without actually being offensive. I don't know how CNN plan's to get around the expletives, but if it's entirely censored, then the show may not be as enjoyable to viewers.

November 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Mary

Oh please get over it! Okay so he drinks on the show – so what. Tune in to the Today Show and you will see Cathy Lee and Hoda drinking. I think he is the best representative of who we are as a culture. No longer the stuffed shirt American. If I had to pick someone to represent me I would pick Mr. Bourdain. His show is for adults not children. So if you have stayed up past your bedtime and your crying - turn the TV off or to Fox for some light entertainment. Long may Tony rein!!!!!

November 22, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. upsidedown333

loved No reservations and I am very curious on what he will do next. I am sure it will be amazing. cant wait !!!

November 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. amdunn2

As he said it's something that he had been wanting to do to take No Reservations to the next level. Him and his crew from Zero Point Zero productions will do a fine job. You probably won't be able to make a solid differenciation between Parts Unknown and No Reservations. They all do good work and if you don't like him that's fine... other people like myself love him as a host.

November 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Joanie Reis

I think Mr Bourdain will bring a clever, intelligent perspective to his new work. I have enjoyed watching his work in the past, and have read some of his books. He has a compelling way of writing that turns his works into a page turner. In his book, A COOK'S TOUR, he made an observations about Vietnam and our participation that made me cry. He ha a surprising intellectual mind. If you think of him only as a chef, you don't have enough knowledge to make a critique.

November 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sigmund F.

Tony's schtick has grown tiresome. Sit down for a meal and say: "i'm a happy man, this is awsome". Then say some curse words and have them bleeped out. I liked him for awhile because he can be a proficient wordsmith, but joining CNN is like Tom Brady playing flag football.

January 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. fannybatter

Everyone seems to have forgotten about swamp people. When will the leaders of the swamp have chance to be swampy?

April 18, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply